Writing software is more fun than working.

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: OT: GDPR and Zoom

SubjectAuthor
* OT: GDPR and ZoomScott
+* Re: OT: GDPR and ZoomTweed
|`* Re: OT: GDPR and ZoomScott
| +- Re: OT: GDPR and Zoomcharles
| `- Re: OT: GDPR and ZoomPamela
+- Re: GDPR and ZoomBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
+* Re: OT: GDPR and ZoomMax Demian
|+* Re: OT: GDPR and Zoomcharles
||`- Re: OT: GDPR and ZoomMax Demian
|`* Re: OT: GDPR and ZoomJim Lesurf
| `* Re: OT: GDPR and ZoomMax Demian
|  `- Re: OT: GDPR and ZoomJim Lesurf
`- Re: OT: GDPR and ZoomR. Mark Clayton

1
OT: GDPR and Zoom

<ul3ssgd63gfs7e992qnqvb33fgctdkbqt0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30499&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30499

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: OT: GDPR and Zoom
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 19:59:48 +0000
 by: Scott - Thu, 30 Dec 2021 19:59 UTC

I keep being told that events on Zoom cannot be recorded because of
the GDPR, unless every participant agrees. I am wondering about this.
If you record the speaker only (with consent) and no interventions
take place (because everyone is muted), would it be possible to
extract the names of all the participants from the recording? If not,
I cannot see why their consent would be needed.

Re: OT: GDPR and Zoom

<sql3sm$2bq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30502&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30502

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: OT: GDPR and Zoom
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 20:13:10 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:8L7IjU6uSrXCu83mHUZddI0P6Hs=
 by: Tweed - Thu, 30 Dec 2021 20:13 UTC

Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> I keep being told that events on Zoom cannot be recorded because of
> the GDPR, unless every participant agrees. I am wondering about this.
> If you record the speaker only (with consent) and no interventions
> take place (because everyone is muted), would it be possible to
> extract the names of all the participants from the recording? If not,
> I cannot see why their consent would be needed.

https://www.blbsolicitors.co.uk/blog/ensuring-video-conferencing-is-gdpr-compliant/

Re: OT: GDPR and Zoom

<768ssg93ma1ovf0aa2tj8l1c00834jio62@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30506&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30506

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 21:15:17 +0000
 by: Scott - Thu, 30 Dec 2021 21:15 UTC

On Thu, 30 Dec 2021 20:13:10 -0000 (UTC), Tweed
<usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:

>Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> I keep being told that events on Zoom cannot be recorded because of
>> the GDPR, unless every participant agrees. I am wondering about this.
>> If you record the speaker only (with consent) and no interventions
>> take place (because everyone is muted), would it be possible to
>> extract the names of all the participants from the recording? If not,
>> I cannot see why their consent would be needed.
>>
>https://www.blbsolicitors.co.uk/blog/ensuring-video-conferencing-is-gdpr-compliant/

Thanks for that but I am really questioning whether the audience are
'participants' if they are muted and off screen. If the main speaker
is recorded (with consent) does the Zoom recording then contain any
recoverable data - images or participant names - of anyone else?

Re: OT: GDPR and Zoom

<59a31f7e64charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30509&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30509

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 21:26:35 +0000 (GMT)
 by: charles - Thu, 30 Dec 2021 21:26 UTC

In article <768ssg93ma1ovf0aa2tj8l1c00834jio62@4ax.com>,
Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Dec 2021 20:13:10 -0000 (UTC), Tweed
> <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:

> >Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> >> I keep being told that events on Zoom cannot be recorded because of
> >> the GDPR, unless every participant agrees. I am wondering about this.
> >> If you record the speaker only (with consent) and no interventions
> >> take place (because everyone is muted), would it be possible to
> >> extract the names of all the participants from the recording? If not,
> >> I cannot see why their consent would be needed.
> >>
> >https://www.blbsolicitors.co.uk/blog/ensuring-video-conferencing-is-gdpr-compliant/

> Thanks for that but I am really questioning whether the audience are
> 'participants' if they are muted and off screen. If the main speaker
> is recorded (with consent) does the Zoom recording then contain any
> recoverable data - images or participant names - of anyone else?

probably their email addresses.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Re: OT: GDPR and Zoom

<XnsAE10DA9F9758F37B93@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30511&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30511

From: pamela.p...@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 21:29:29 GMT
 by: Pamela - Thu, 30 Dec 2021 21:29 UTC

On 21:15 30 Dec 2021, Scott said:
> On Thu, 30 Dec 2021 20:13:10 -0000 (UTC), Tweed
> <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>>>

>>> I keep being told that events on Zoom cannot be recorded because
>>> of the GDPR, unless every participant agrees. I am wondering
>>> about this. If you record the speaker only (with consent) and no
>>> interventions take place (because everyone is muted), would it be
>>> possible to extract the names of all the participants from the
>>> recording? If not, I cannot see why their consent would be
>>> needed.
>>>
>>https://www.blbsolicitors.co.uk/blog/ensuring-video-conferencing-is-g
>>dpr-compliant/
>
> Thanks for that but I am really questioning whether the audience are
> 'participants' if they are muted and off screen. If the main
> speaker is recorded (with consent) does the Zoom recording then
> contain any recoverable data - images or participant names - of
> anyone else?

Maybe you can view the situation from the other end.

As I understand it (IANAL) the GDPR does not apply to individuals
collecting data for personal use, including a Zoom conference.

On the other hand, there may be another regulation which prohibits
recording such as copyright or who knows what.

Re: GDPR and Zoom

<sqmue1$7l6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30522&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30522

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: GDPR and Zoom
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 12:52:12 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Fri, 31 Dec 2021 12:52 UTC

Well, I just think its polite in the end to ask.
However having said that my truecall device is set by default to record all
phone calls on a 60 hour sd card, which is very handy when you need to prove
your point or check up on some info gabbled down the phone.
Zoom forces the people on the meeting to know its being recorded, or at
least my screenreader reads that caption to me when the recording starts.
I could of course record the whole thing in secret by using virtual
recorder running on my pc.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Scott" <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote in message
>I keep being told that events on Zoom cannot be recorded because of
> the GDPR, unless every participant agrees. I am wondering about this.
> If you record the speaker only (with consent) and no interventions
> take place (because everyone is muted), would it be possible to
> extract the names of all the participants from the recording? If not,
> I cannot see why their consent would be needed.

Re: OT: GDPR and Zoom

<jM-dnVYBt58gh1L8nZ2dnUU78TvNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30524&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30524

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 14:59:01 +0000
 by: Max Demian - Fri, 31 Dec 2021 14:59 UTC

On 30/12/2021 19:59, Scott wrote:

> I keep being told that events on Zoom cannot be recorded because of
> the GDPR, unless every participant agrees. I am wondering about this.
> If you record the speaker only (with consent) and no interventions
> take place (because everyone is muted), would it be possible to
> extract the names of all the participants from the recording? If not,
> I cannot see why their consent would be needed.

Since we are all allowed to record any conversation we have with anyone
(provided we are present) and don't have to tell them we are recording
them, never mind ask their permission, how is it any different on some
fancy Zoom thing?

The only exceptions I can think are in a court of law.

Our rights are ours, not given to us by the authorities.

--
Max Demian

Re: OT: GDPR and Zoom

<59a381facccharles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30526&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30526

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 15:22:19 +0000 (GMT)
 by: charles - Fri, 31 Dec 2021 15:22 UTC

In article <jM-dnVYBt58gh1L8nZ2dnUU78TvNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>,
Max Demian <max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> On 30/12/2021 19:59, Scott wrote:

> > I keep being told that events on Zoom cannot be recorded because of
> > the GDPR, unless every participant agrees. I am wondering about this.
> > If you record the speaker only (with consent) and no interventions
> > take place (because everyone is muted), would it be possible to
> > extract the names of all the participants from the recording? If not,
> > I cannot see why their consent would be needed.

> Since we are all allowed to record any conversation we have with anyone
> (provided we are present) and don't have to tell them we are recording
> them, never mind ask their permission, how is it any different on some
> fancy Zoom thing?

> The only exceptions I can think are in a court of law.

> Our rights are ours, not given to us by the authorities.

Most 'rights' are given by Parliament.

Remember, Zoom is American where the courts (or at least the juries) seem
not to be on the side of big business.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Re: OT: GDPR and Zoom

<59a382f626noise@audiomisc.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30527&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30527

From: noi...@audiomisc.co.uk (Jim Lesurf)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 15:33:02 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Jim Lesurf - Fri, 31 Dec 2021 15:33 UTC

In article <jM-dnVYBt58gh1L8nZ2dnUU78TvNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, Max
Demian
<max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> On 30/12/2021 19:59, Scott wrote:

> > I keep being told that events on Zoom cannot be recorded because of
> > the GDPR, unless every participant agrees. I am wondering about this.
> > If you record the speaker only (with consent) and no interventions
> > take place (because everyone is muted), would it be possible to
> > extract the names of all the participants from the recording? If not,
> > I cannot see why their consent would be needed.

> Since we are all allowed to record any conversation we have with anyone
> (provided we are present) and don't have to tell them we are recording
> them, never mind ask their permission, how is it any different on some
> fancy Zoom thing?

What 'rights' do you then have wrt using the recording you made of a
"conversation with anyone" without their permission?

> The only exceptions I can think are in a court of law.

> Our rights are ours, not given to us by the authorities.

Erm, legally, our 'rights' are what we have under the law of where we are.
And I assume both the 'authorities' and these laws vary from country to
country. However...

Does not someone who was recorded without their permission also have some
'rights' wrt what use you then can make of the recording, or who you allow
to see/hear it?

I'm asking because I don't know. But I'd have assumed the person recorded
without their permission *also* has some relevant 'rights' here.

Jim

Electronics https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm

Re: OT: GDPR and Zoom

<a94530f1-f564-4181-9cf9-405ffb450726n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30528&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30528

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 08:08:56 -0800 (PST)
From: notyalck...@gmail.com (R. Mark Clayton)
 by: R. Mark Clayton - Fri, 31 Dec 2021 16:08 UTC

On Thursday, 30 December 2021 at 19:59:51 UTC, Scott wrote:
> I keep being told that events on Zoom cannot be recorded because of
> the GDPR, unless every participant agrees. I am wondering about this.
> If you record the speaker only (with consent) and no interventions
> take place (because everyone is muted), would it be possible to
> extract the names of all the participants from the recording? If not,
> I cannot see why their consent would be needed.

Rascals have always cited DPA and now GDPR for over zealousness.

Obviously everyone knows they will be on the zoom call and you just make it a condition of joining that if you do you may be recorded.

Re: OT: GDPR and Zoom

<0dadnReOQ8LJqlL8nZ2dnUU78YOdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30532&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30532

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!paganini.bofh.team!news.dns-netz.com!news.freedyn.de!newsfeed.xs4all.nl!newsfeed9.news.xs4all.nl!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr2.eu1.usenetexpress.com!feeder5.feed.usenet.farm!feeder1.feed.usenet.farm!feed.usenet.farm!border1.nntp.ams1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!buffer1.nntp.ams1.giganews.com!buffer2.nntp.ams1.giganews.com!nntp.brightview.co.uk!news.brightview.co.uk.POSTED!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 17:01:00 +0000
 by: Max Demian - Fri, 31 Dec 2021 17:01 UTC

On 31/12/2021 15:22, charles wrote:
> In article <jM-dnVYBt58gh1L8nZ2dnUU78TvNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>,
> Max Demian <max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>> On 30/12/2021 19:59, Scott wrote:
>
>>> I keep being told that events on Zoom cannot be recorded because of
>>> the GDPR, unless every participant agrees. I am wondering about this.
>>> If you record the speaker only (with consent) and no interventions
>>> take place (because everyone is muted), would it be possible to
>>> extract the names of all the participants from the recording? If not,
>>> I cannot see why their consent would be needed.
>
>> Since we are all allowed to record any conversation we have with anyone
>> (provided we are present) and don't have to tell them we are recording
>> them, never mind ask their permission, how is it any different on some
>> fancy Zoom thing?
>
>> The only exceptions I can think are in a court of law.
>
>> Our rights are ours, not given to us by the authorities.
>
> Most 'rights' are given by Parliament.

No, they are taken away.

--
Max Demian

Re: OT: GDPR and Zoom

<0dadnRaOQ8IqqlL8nZ2dnUU78YOdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30533&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30533

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 17:02:38 +0000
 by: Max Demian - Fri, 31 Dec 2021 17:02 UTC

On 31/12/2021 15:33, Jim Lesurf wrote:
> In article <jM-dnVYBt58gh1L8nZ2dnUU78TvNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, Max
> Demian
> <max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>> On 30/12/2021 19:59, Scott wrote:
>
>>> I keep being told that events on Zoom cannot be recorded because of
>>> the GDPR, unless every participant agrees. I am wondering about this.
>>> If you record the speaker only (with consent) and no interventions
>>> take place (because everyone is muted), would it be possible to
>>> extract the names of all the participants from the recording? If not,
>>> I cannot see why their consent would be needed.
>
>> Since we are all allowed to record any conversation we have with anyone
>> (provided we are present) and don't have to tell them we are recording
>> them, never mind ask their permission, how is it any different on some
>> fancy Zoom thing?
>
> What 'rights' do you then have wrt using the recording you made of a
> "conversation with anyone" without their permission?
>
>> The only exceptions I can think are in a court of law.
>
>> Our rights are ours, not given to us by the authorities.
>
> Erm, legally, our 'rights' are what we have under the law of where we are.
> And I assume both the 'authorities' and these laws vary from country to
> country. However...
>
> Does not someone who was recorded without their permission also have some
> 'rights' wrt what use you then can make of the recording, or who you allow
> to see/hear it?
>
> I'm asking because I don't know. But I'd have assumed the person recorded
> without their permission *also* has some relevant 'rights' here.

I "record" every word in my memory.

I can recall, and tell, everything I hear to anyone.

--
Max Demian

Re: OT: GDPR and Zoom

<59a38dcb9enoise@audiomisc.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30553&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30553

From: noi...@audiomisc.co.uk (Jim Lesurf)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 17:31:22 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Jim Lesurf - Fri, 31 Dec 2021 17:31 UTC

In article <0dadnRaOQ8IqqlL8nZ2dnUU78YOdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, Max
Demian
<max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> > Erm, legally, our 'rights' are what we have under the law of where we
> > are. And I assume both the 'authorities' and these laws vary from
> > country to country. However...
> >
> > Does not someone who was recorded without their permission also have
> > some 'rights' wrt what use you then can make of the recording, or who
> > you allow to see/hear it?
> >
> > I'm asking because I don't know. But I'd have assumed the person
> > recorded without their permission *also* has some relevant 'rights'
> > here.

> I "record" every word in my memory.

> I can recall, and tell, everything I hear to anyone.

Someone 'can' also exceed the speed limit if you decide to drive fast
enough to do so. But being able to do something doesn't ensure they won't
then fall foul of the law and end up being found guilty as a result,
possibly leading to punishment. So, alas, your assertions don't really
answer my questions.