I invented skydiving in 1989!

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?

SubjectAuthor
* Europe wide digital compatibility or not?Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
+* Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?Mark Carver
|`* Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?Jeff Layman
| +- Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?Ian Jackson
| `* Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
|  +* Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?Mark Carver
|  |+* Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?Mark Carver
|  ||+* Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?Jeff Layman
|  |||`- Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
|  ||`* Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?Woody
|  || +- Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?williamwright
|  || +* Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?Mark Carver
|  || |+* Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?NY
|  || ||+- Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?williamwright
|  || ||`* Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?Mark Carver
|  || || `- Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?williamwright
|  || |`- Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
|  || `- Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
|  |`* Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
|  | `* Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?Andy Burns
|  |  `* Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?williamwright
|  |   +- Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?Andy Burns
|  |   `- Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?Indy Jess John
|  `* Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?Ian Jackson
|   `- Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
`* Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?Andy Burns
 +* Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?Mark Carver
 |+* Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?Woody
 ||`* Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?Mark Carver
 || +- Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?Woody
 || +- Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?Mark Carver
 || `* Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
 ||  `- Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?pinnerite
 |`* Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
 | `* Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?Mark Carver
 |  `- Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?williamwright
 `- Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)

Pages:12
Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?

<sr8vav$53t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30740&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30740

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 08:58:02 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Fri, 7 Jan 2022 08:58 UTC

Yes I remember that, Surprised it went that far. I and my father set up the
timebase to do 819line, but with restricted bandwidth on an old valve set,
but we had to use a band 1 audio tuner to get the sound. Those channels were
over 11 Mhz wide after all.
I always found it a little oddball to go from such a high line rate to 625
later on yet keep the old positive mod, as positive mode made the sync
pulses at the lowest output of the transmitter and hence prone to noise
more than the other way around.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Ian Jackson" <ianREMOVETHISjackson@g3ohx.co.uk> wrote in message
> In message <sr6anf$5to$1@dont-email.me>, "Brian Gaff (Sofa)"
> <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> writes
>>In the old Analogue days Lille was very strong here in the outer edge of
>>London if you were high enough, but of course it was positive mod with am
>>sound.
>> Brian
>>
> When sporadic-E was about, Lille would sometimes clobber Band 1 Ch5
> (Pontop Pike) in Northumberland. The 819-line signal would lock on a
> 405-line set, and produce two tall-and-thin, side-by-side pictures.
> --
> Ian

Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?

<sr8vgp$6ct$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30741&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30741

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 09:01:08 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Fri, 7 Jan 2022 09:01 UTC

No, I no longer have my rota aerial on the chimney, but I did plug in a
discone the other day and found duplicate channels up in the 800s, but don't
know where they came from, Hannington perhaps?

More likely local relays?

"Andy Burns" <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote in message
> Brian Gaff wrote:
>
>> I just wondered in lift conditions, if I pointed a high gain aerial to a
>> continental country, would modern UK tvs get the [signals], all other
>> things
>> aside like interference etc?
>
> Once or twice my TV has done overnight scans and added foreign channel
> names, nothing that could actually be received in the cold light of day
> though ...

Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?

<sr8vlu$7fm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30742&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30742

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 09:03:53 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Fri, 7 Jan 2022 09:03 UTC

No they used positive mod for the 625 as well. They did this from what they
say to allow simple adoption back in the day. However, The few times I saw
it even in colour back then it was nowhere near as good as the UK negative
going system in my view.

"Mark Carver" <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> On 05/01/2022 08:38, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Brian Gaff wrote:
>>
>>> I just wondered in lift conditions, if I pointed a high gain aerial to a
>>> continental country, would modern UK tvs get the [signals], all other
>>> things
>>> aside like interference etc?
>>
>> Once or twice my TV has done overnight scans and added foreign channel
>> names, nothing that could actually be received in the cold light of day
>> though ...
>>
> I gather the national Dutch SFN mux on UHF Ch39 can be regularly received
> in Lincolnshire during enhanced conditions
>
> I also gather people along the Kent coast are able to receive under normal
> conditions French SD DTT channels (In analogue times it would have been
> unlocked negative going video, with un decodable AM audio, so that's at
> least progress !)

Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?

<j3qe6fF86idU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30743&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30743

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 09:07:26 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Fri, 7 Jan 2022 09:07 UTC

On 07/01/2022 09:03, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
> No they used positive mod for the 625 as well.
Yes, that's what I said, so you ended up here with an unlocked negative
image, with peak white sync pulses

Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?

<sr8vuv$997$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30744&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30744

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 09:08:42 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Fri, 7 Jan 2022 09:08 UTC

But how does what they do help them, I have to say though French TV did seem
to be pretty boring, even given that you could not understand the language.
Lots of serious looking men around chatting for hours, and Sacha Distel in
a fake old theatre in the early evenings smoking himself to death and
playing jazz guitar.

> On 05/01/2022 15:34, Woody wrote:

>>> I gather the national Dutch SFN mux on UHF Ch39 can be regularly
>>> received in Lincolnshire during enhanced conditions
>>>
>>> I also gather people along the Kent coast are able to receive under
>>> normal conditions French SD DTT channels (In analogue times it would
>>> have been unlocked negative going video, with un decodable AM audio, so
>>> that's at least progress !)
>>

>> Is it Mark? I thought that France had gone completely HD vision but
>> retained the same audio (mp2?) as the original SD channels. Ergo unless
>> you have satellite and buy a Canal+ box whilst over there, or you buy a
>> TV that is designed to work by manual selection on any EU system you are
>> out in the cold.
>>

> Oh, yes, I think that's the case now. About 5 years ago ? We're woefully
> behind in the UK

Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?

<j3qqilFaijcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30759&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30759

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 12:38:45 +0000
 by: williamwright - Fri, 7 Jan 2022 12:38 UTC

On 07/01/2022 07:57, Mark Carver wrote:
> Rowridge had a vertical component added, so existing HP aerials were not
> affected. As said, with a new aerial you're better off using VP for
> Rowridge. I've noticed a gentle increase of VP receiving aerials in its
> service area since DSO

Yagis, especially wideband ones, tend to have alarming side lobes when
mounted for VP.

Bill

Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?

<j3qqt1FaijcU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30760&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30760

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 12:44:17 +0000
 by: williamwright - Fri, 7 Jan 2022 12:44 UTC

On 07/01/2022 09:07, Mark Carver wrote:
> On 07/01/2022 09:03, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
>> No they used positive  mod for the 625 as well.
> Yes, that's what I said, so you ended up here with an unlocked negative
> image, with peak white sync pulses

Very frequent problem here in Yorkshire. Customers used to complain. One
geezer called me a liar to my face when I told him it was interference
from abroad.

Bill

Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?

<j414eeFgu0nU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30875&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30875

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 22:03:57 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 22:03 UTC

Brian Gaff wrote:

> now the channels are almost all occupied here in outer
> London there is little chance of receiving such signals any more unless they
> go to vhf or something in one country, when we have not and then you could
> use something like the old Tleverter to get the channels.

I believe France did/do use use VHF channels for their digital TV, at least one
of my TVs includes VHF channels if asked to do a full scan.

Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?

<j41niiFk6l4U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30876&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30876

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 03:30:26 +0000
 by: williamwright - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 03:30 UTC

On 09/01/2022 22:03, Andy Burns wrote:
> Brian Gaff wrote:
>
>>   now the channels are almost all occupied here in outer
>> London there is little chance of receiving such signals any more
>> unless they
>> go to vhf or something in one country, when we have not and then you
>> could
>> use something like the old Tleverter to get the channels.
>
> I believe France did/do use use VHF channels for their digital TV, at
> least one of my TVs includes VHF channels if asked to do a full scan.

Full scan to include analogue?

Bill

Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?

<j425omFmqb8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30877&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30877

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 07:32:36 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 07:32 UTC

williamwright wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> I believe France did/do use use VHF channels for their digital TV, at least
>> one of my TVs includes VHF channels if asked to do a full scan.
>
> Full scan to include analogue?

Yes, if I'm lazy and don't change it from analogue+digital to digital-only

Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?

<srgq40$v8n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30879&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30879

From: bathwatc...@OMITTHISgooglemail.com (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 08:18:06 +0000
 by: Indy Jess John - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 08:18 UTC

On 10/01/2022 03:30, williamwright wrote:
> On 09/01/2022 22:03, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Brian Gaff wrote:
>>
>>> now the channels are almost all occupied here in outer
>>> London there is little chance of receiving such signals any more
>>> unless they
>>> go to vhf or something in one country, when we have not and then you
>>> could
>>> use something like the old Tleverter to get the channels.
>>
>> I believe France did/do use use VHF channels for their digital TV, at
>> least one of my TVs includes VHF channels if asked to do a full scan.
>
> Full scan to include analogue?
>
> Bill

My LG TV can do an analogue scan, but by default it offers the same scan
as was used last time.

I have a box that takes in a SCART connection and outputs an analogue
signal on the channel chosen by DIP switches. I don't use it now, but
it is comforting to know that if I do, my TV can be set up to handle it.

Jim

Re: Europe wide digital compatibility or not?

<20220110220950.8b25ec7dec35b73ea783b2bc@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30910&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30910

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 22:09:50 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 22:09 UTC

On Fri, 7 Jan 2022 09:08:42 -0000
"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> But how does what they do help them, I have to say though French TV did seem
> to be pretty boring, even given that you could not understand the language.
> Lots of serious looking men around chatting for hours, and Sacha Distel in
> a fake old theatre in the early evenings smoking himself to death and
> playing jazz guitar.
> Brian

The thing about Saccha Distel was that he was always 27.
Met him once. Lovely guy.

--
Mint 20.2, kernel 5.4.0-88-generic, Cinnamon 5.0.5
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of DRAM.