Many pages make a thick book, except for pocket Bibles which are on very very thin paper.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Sunak ‘removing the alternatives’ to driving, say six major walker and cyclist groups

SubjectAuthor
* Sunak ‘removing the alternatives’ to driving, saSimon Mason
+- Re: Sunak ‘removing the alternatives’Spike
+* Re: Sunak ‘removing the alternatives’ to drivingSimon Mason
|`* Re: Sunak ‘removing the alternatives’Spike
| `- Re: Sunak ‘removing the alternatives’ tJNugent
+* Re: Sunak ‘removing the alternatives’ to drivingSimon Mason
|+- Re: Sunak ‘removing the alternatives’Spike
|`* Re: Sunak ‘removing the alternatives’ to drivingSimon Mason
| `- Re: Sunak ‘removing the alternatives’Spike
+* Re: Sunak ‘removing the alternatives’ to drivingSimon Mason
|+- Re: Sunak ‘removing the alternatives’Spike
|`* Re: Sunak ‘removing the alternatives’ to drivingSimon Mason
| `- Re: Sunak ‘removing the alternatives’ to drivingSimon Mason
`- Re: Sunak ‘removing the alternatives’ tJNugent

1
Sunak ‘removing the alternatives’ to driving, say six major walker and cyclist groups

<fbb8db51-689a-48a1-b07d-5ab4ba21b2a4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30848&group=uk.rec.cycling#30848

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 02:43:39 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Sunak_‘removing_the_alternatives’_to_driving,_sa
y_six_major_walker_and_cyclist_groups_
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 09:43 UTC

Rishi Sunak has been accused by walking and cycling groups of “removing the alternatives” to driving amid speculation he is preparing to curb 20mph speed limits.

Six leading active travel organisations claimed the Prime Minister will “make the roads worse” if he goes ahead with the move.
Recommended by

Several newspapers reported that a Plan for Motorists will be unveiled at the upcoming Tory conference in Manchester.

This will reportedly include limiting the ability of local authorities to impose new 20mph zones, restricting the number of hours a day cars are banned from bus lanes, and scaling back low-traffic neighbourhoods (LTNs).

The Guardian reported that the plan also involves reducing the ability of councils to impose fines for traffic infractions such as the misuse of yellow box junctions.

In a joint statement, the chief executives of walking and cycling organisations Bikeability Trust, British Cycling, Cycling UK, Living Streets, Ramblers and Sustrans said: “When ministers could be promoting public transport, cycling and walking as cheap sustainable options in a cost-of-living and climate crisis, they’re entrenching congestion and reliance on driving for short, local journeys.

“When the Government could respect people’s freedom to choose how they travel, it’s removing the alternatives.

“This is a plan that looks no further than one way of travelling and will make the roads worse for those occasions when people do need to drive.”

A Department for Transport (DfT) source described reports of the plan as “speculation”.

Downing Street was approached for a comment.

Earlier this month, Wales became the first country in the UK to drop the default speed limit from 30mph to 20mph for restricted roads.

This came after Wales scrapped all major road building projects due to environmental concerns.

On Thursday, Mr Sunak told ITV Cymru Wales: “I think imposing a blanket 20 mile-an-hour speed limit on areas is absolutely not right. It doesn’t reflect people’s priorities.

“People are dependent on their cars for their day-to-day journeys and these kind of blanket bans aren’t the right, proportionate approach.

“But also it comes on top of this other policy not to build any new roads as well.

“You take these things together, it seems like an attack on motorists and that’s rightly received the opposition that it deserves.”

The Prime Minister has pledged to crack down on “anti-motorist” policies and last week delayed the ban on the sale of new conventionally fuelled cars and vans from 2030 to 2035.

Nicholas Lyes, director of policy at the road safety charity IAM RoadSmart, said 20mph zones “have a role to play” but the “proliferation of blanket limits without physical changes to road layouts means compliance is often poor”.

Local authorities are “usually best placed” to decide the location of the zones but there “is an argument” to strengthen guidance on how that happens, he added.

RAC head of policy Simon Williams said: “While we support the use of 20mph limits being used where they are needed most, such as outside schools, on residential streets and in urban areas where there are lots of pedestrians, implementing them in widespread fashion may unnecessarily lengthen journey times by slowing down traffic, and possibly even increase congestion.

“We need councils to strike the right balance between making our roads safer and ensuring the smooth flow of traffic, in all its forms.

“We need to see the detail of the PM’s plan to see whether what’s proposed will really help with that.”

An RAC-commissioned survey of 3,102 motorists indicated that the most common reason drivers give for exceeding 20mph limits is because they think the restriction is inappropriate for that particular road.

The poll was conducted by research company Online95 between April and May last year.

The Welsh Government is predicting its change to 20mph speed limits will save up to 100 lives and 20,000 casualties in the first decade.

First Minister Mark Drakeford said there is “incontrovertible” evidence that “driving more slowly in built-up urban areas saves people’s lives”.

A DfT-commissioned study published in November 2018 found 20mph limits in residential areas were supported by the majority of residents and drivers.

The research said cutting limits from 30mph to 20mph resulted in a reduction in average speed of less than 1mph, but vehicles travelling faster before the change generally lowered their speed more than slower vehicles.

The report concluded there was no evidence of a significant drop in the number of crashes and casualties after the introduction of 20mph limits.

https://www.cityam.com/sunak-removing-the-alternatives-to-driving-say-six-major-walker-and-cyclist-groups/

Re: Sunak ‘removing the alternatives’ to driving, sa y six major walker and cyclist groups

<knqamkF75dtU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30853&group=uk.rec.cycling#30853

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Sunak ‘removing the alternatives’
Date: 30 Sep 2023 10:13:40 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 10:13 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> Rishi Sunak has been accused by walking and cycling groups of “removing
> the alternatives” to driving amid speculation he is preparing to curb 20mph speed limits.

Presumably, in the cycling world, this passes for deep, critical thinking.

It is manifestly obvious that curbing the spread of 20mph limits removes
nothing from anyone’s choices.

Rather the reverse, in fact.

Cyclists, eh? Not the sharpest tools in the toolbox.

--
Spike

Re: Sunak ‘removing the alternatives’ to driving, say six major walker and cyclist groups

<5bc5740c-7da2-4be2-9c91-a19958b3942dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30855&group=uk.rec.cycling#30855

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 03:15:53 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_Sunak_‘removing_the_alternatives’_to_driving
,_say_six_major_walker_and_cyclist_groups
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 10:15 UTC

QUOTE: Bikeability Trust, British Cycling, Cycling UK, Living Streets, Ramblers and Sustrans said: “When ministers could be promoting public transport, cycling and walking as cheap sustainable options in a cost-of-living and climate crisis, they’re entrenching congestion and reliance on driving for short, local journeys. ENDS

Bloody lefties bothering with trivia again.

Re: Sunak ‘removing the alternatives’ to driving , say six major walker and cyclist groups

<knrkgbFdmr1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30892&group=uk.rec.cycling#30892

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 30 Sep 2023 22:07:07 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 22:07 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> QUOTE: Bikeability Trust, British Cycling, Cycling UK, Living Streets,
> Ramblers and Sustrans said: “When ministers could be promoting public
> transport, cycling and walking as cheap sustainable options in a
> cost-of-living and climate crisis, they’re entrenching congestion and
> reliance on driving for short, local journeys. ENDS
>
> Bloody lefties bothering with trivia again.

Did you know that Croydon (read the news) has over 200 ‘knife injury
incidents’ (stabbings) a year?

London has over 12700 knife incidents a year.

One has to feel sorry for those forced on to public transport by the loony
left.

--
Spike

Re: Sunak ‘removing the alternatives’ to driving, say six major walker and cyclist groups

<9c4baed5-9600-4b90-9111-c7f359dae1e7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30899&group=uk.rec.cycling#30899

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 23:43:07 -0700 (PDT)
,_say_six_major_walker_and_cyclist_groups
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 06:43 UTC

QUOTE: A DfT-commissioned study published in November 2018 found 20mph limits in residential areas were supported by the majority of residents and drivers. ENDS

According to Gammon TV (what's left of it) it's part of the "War on the poor motorist" - poor things.

Re: Sunak ‘removing the alternatives’ to driving , say six major walker and cyclist groups

<knspjsFja1fU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30902&group=uk.rec.cycling#30902

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 1 Oct 2023 08:40:28 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 08:40 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> QUOTE: A DfT-commissioned study published in November 2018 found 20mph
> limits in residential areas were supported by the majority of residents and drivers. ENDS

Polls can find whatever answer you want…

> According to Gammon TV (what's left of it) it's part of the "War on the
> poor motorist" - poor things.

The pushback (not to be confused with a pushbike, by the dim) is starting…

--
Spike

Re: Sunak ‘removing the alternatives’ to driving, say six major walker and cyclist groups

<8d9cc72d-423e-47bd-81de-2bbb4a3a5abdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30906&group=uk.rec.cycling#30906

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 03:37:07 -0700 (PDT)
,_say_six_major_walker_and_cyclist_groups
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 10:37 UTC

On Sunday, October 1, 2023 at 7:43:09 AM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
> QUOTE: A DfT-commissioned study published in November 2018 found 20mph limits in residential areas were supported by the majority of residents and drivers. ENDS
>
> According to Gammon TV (what's left of it) it's part of the "War on the poor motorist" - poor things.

What a shame for the gammons that they can't tamper with the 20mph zones in Wales.
Democracy in action.

Re: Sunak ‘removing the alternatives’ to driving , say six major walker and cyclist groups

<knt129Fke8qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30910&group=uk.rec.cycling#30910

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 1 Oct 2023 10:47:37 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 10:47 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, October 1, 2023 at 7:43:09 AM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
>> QUOTE: A DfT-commissioned study published in November 2018 found 20mph
>> limits in residential areas were supported by the majority of residents and drivers. ENDS
>>
>> According to Gammon TV (what's left of it) it's part of the "War on the
>> poor motorist" - poor things.
>
> What a shame for the gammons that they can't tamper with the 20mph zones in Wales.
> Democracy in action.

Who voted for20mph zones in Wales? Which elected politicians had the
proposal in their manifesto?

They claim the EU is democratic, but the only body directly elected has no
legislative powers whatsoever!

--
Spike

Re: Sunak ‘removing the alternatives’ to driving, say six major walker and cyclist groups

<439ee86b-7317-4c95-b3d8-a81f70c0fe23n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30914&group=uk.rec.cycling#30914

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 04:39:06 -0700 (PDT)
,_say_six_major_walker_and_cyclist_groups
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 11:39 UTC

Restricted roads are usually located in residential and built-up areas where there are lots of people. They often have street lights on them, placed no more than 200 yards apart.

We made this change to:

reduce the number of collisions and severe injuries from them (also reducing the impact on the NHS from treating the people who are injured)
encourage more people to walk and cycle in our communities
help to improve our health and well-being
make our streets safer
safeguard the environment for future generations.

Wales will be one of the first countries in the world, and the first nation in the UK, to introduce legislation to have a default 20mph speed limit on roads where cars mix with pedestrians and cyclists.
What did we do

We worked with highway authorities, Trunk Road Agents (TRAs), who operate the strategic road network, and local authorities, who are responsible for county roads.

Not all roads with a 30mph limit are suitable to change to 20mph. These roads are known as exceptions. Local Authorities considered which roads should remain at 30mph. There will be 30mph signs in place to tell you this.

A map on DataMapWales that shows which roads would stay at 30mph.

All highway authorities must follow the statutory process on traffic regulation Orders to make exceptions.
Early impacts

Eight communities were selected as first phase settlements to introduce 20mph speed limits:

St Dogmaels, Pembrokeshire
Llanelli North, Carmarthenshire
St Brides Major, Vale of Glamorgan
Central North, Cardiff
Cilfrew Village, Neath Port Talbot
Abergavenny, Monmouthshire
Severnside, Monmouthshire
Buckley, Flintshire

You can read the first monitoring report detailing some of the impacts the introduction of 20mph has had in these communities. Overall speed has reduced in these areas.

https://www.gov.wales/introducing-default-20mph-speed-limits

Re: Sunak ‘removing the alternatives’ to driving , say six major walker and cyclist groups

<kntd44Fm9hoU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30921&group=uk.rec.cycling#30921

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 1 Oct 2023 14:13:24 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 14:13 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> We made this change to:

> reduce the number of collisions and severe injuries from them (also
> reducing the impact on the NHS from treating the people who are injured)

> https://www.gov.wales/introducing-default-20mph-speed-limits

The NHS in Wales is a shambles, but as it was brought about by a democratic
process, that’ll be acceptable to some.

You can see what the real driver for the speed reductions is, even though
no-one voted for it.

--
Spike

Re: Sunak ‘removing the alternatives’ to driving, say six major walker and cyclist groups

<173e6672-f887-4be2-9bec-83142665124cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30924&group=uk.rec.cycling#30924

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 08:16:25 -0700 (PDT)
,_say_six_major_walker_and_cyclist_groups
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 15:16 UTC

Mark Drakeford says he is disappointed that Prime Minister Rishi Sunak is "misleading people on 20mph, whether intentionally or inadvertently".

The comments were made after the Prime Minister appeared on Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg. The former BBC political editor was speaking to Mr Sunak about the whether he would ban councils in England from reducing speed limits to 20mph.

The Prime Minister said: "For too many people, it felt like everyone was trying to stop them doing that imposing on them blanket speed restrictions. That's what we've seen in Wales from the Labour government, their blanket 20mph speed limit."

Several Conservative politicians have argued that this is "blanket 20mph limit" though this fact check by WalesOnline showed this was not the case because only 30mph roads are affected and many are exempted from the reduction..

Mr Drakeford said: "Disappointing to see the Prime Minister misleading people on 20mph, whether intentionally or inadvertently. This isn’t a blanket restriction. Speed limits on a large number of Welsh roads are unchanged, with journey times taking up to a minute longer. This will save lives.."

A Welsh Government spokesman also told WalesOnline: “It is profoundly disappointing the prime minister is inadvertently or intentionally, choosing to mislead people about the introduction of 20mph. It is not a blanket restriction. Speed limits on a great number of roads in Wales are unchanged and journey times take around a minute longer. This will save lives and make our communities safer.”

Responding to the Prime Minister in the interview Ms Kuenssberg said: "We have looked at what is happening in Wales and it is very similar to what the Conservative Council in Cornwall is proposing and also even in your own parts of the world in North Yorkshire, there are more than 100 parish councils who want to have a 20 mile an hour limit. So if you think it's the wrong thing, as you've explained, will you stop Conservative councils bringing in these plans?"

To this the PM said: "Yeah, this is about local people being in the driving seat. And it's about making sure that things are not imposed on local communities without their consent. Now, of course, it makes sense to have speed limits around for example, school areas, everyone wants safety for our children. But these things need to be done with consent. And it can't be part of this war on motorists."

He was then challenged and asked for clarity with the interviewer saying: "Let's be really clear about what you're actually proposing here. So our viewers will have heard you expressed sympathy for people who think driving is pretty tough these days.

"But I want to be really clear about what you're actually proposing. Will you stop councils whether they're Conservative, Labour or any color of the rainbow? Will you stop them introducing 20 mile an hour zones as a default, because that's really what's at stake here. You can complain about it, as lots of our viewers might do. But are you going to stop it's happening? Because if you don't, then it's just rhetoric, isn't it?"

In response Rishi Sunak refused to commit to the ban. He said: "No, no. What this is about is making sure that the statutory guidance that goes to local councils from government is clear about making sure that councils, which are obviously in charge of what's happening in their local areas, are doing things with the support and consent of their local communities."

Re: Sunak ‘removing the alternatives’ to driving, say six major walker and cyclist groups

<knu21kFph87U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30940&group=uk.rec.cycling#30940

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Sunak ‘removing the alternatives’ t
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2023 15:10:25 -0500
 by: JNugent - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 20:10 UTC

On 30/09/2023 04:43, Simon Mason wrote:

> Rishi Sunak has been accused by walking and cycling groups of “removing the alternatives” to driving...

There exactly NO alternatives to driving which have anything like the
same levels of comfort, convenience, privacy, safety and on-call
immediacy, as well as the capacity for carrying extra passengers at zero
extra cost.

And the price of rail travel means that it is for the rich only.

Only sociopaths like May Sun and the illiterates at road.cc want to
prevent people from travelling as they would prefer.

Re: Sunak ‘removing the alternatives’ to driving , say six major walker and cyclist groups

<knu25dFph87U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30941&group=uk.rec.cycling#30941

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2023 15:12:29 -0500
 by: JNugent - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 20:12 UTC

On 30/09/2023 17:07, Spike wrote:
> Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
>> QUOTE: Bikeability Trust, British Cycling, Cycling UK, Living Streets,
>> Ramblers and Sustrans said: “When ministers could be promoting public
>> transport, cycling and walking as cheap sustainable options in a
>> cost-of-living and climate crisis, they’re entrenching congestion and
>> reliance on driving for short, local journeys. ENDS
>>
>> Bloody lefties bothering with trivia again.
>
> Did you know that Croydon (read the news) has over 200 ‘knife injury
> incidents’ (stabbings) a year?
>
> London has over 12700 knife incidents a year.
>
> One has to feel sorry for those forced on to public transport by the loony
> left.

Exactly.

I would be more than miffed if any of my family were given no choice but
to travel on London Transport or suburban trains.

Stabbing capital of Europe. The only way to avoid it is to travel by
private car.

Re: Sunak ‘removing the alternatives’ to driving, say six major walker and cyclist groups

<921f6069-b94a-4876-8ea7-efdef90f6f8bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30946&group=uk.rec.cycling#30946

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 13:34:05 -0700 (PDT)
,_say_six_major_walker_and_cyclist_groups
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 20:34 UTC

The Prime Minister has been accused of "choosing to mislead people" after calling the new 20mph default speed limit in Wales a "blanket restriction".

Rishi Sunak was speaking on Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg on the BBC ahead of the Conservative party conference in Manchester.

It comes after he did an interview with ITV Cymru Wales on Friday. He repeatedly described the Welsh Government's policy as a "blanket speed limit".

It is something ministers in Wales reject.

First Minister Mark Drakeford posted on X, formerly Twitter, saying it was "disappointing to see the Prime Minister misleading people on 20mph, whether intentionally or inadvertently".

On the politics show, Mr Sunak described cars as a form of transport people "rely on the most".

He added that "too many" people he has spoken to across the country feel like "everyone's trying to stop them" using their cars by "imposing on them blanket speed restrictions, that's what we've seen in Wales".

The leader of the Welsh Conservatives, Andrew RT Davies, is expected to say in his Tory conference speech that Welsh Labour has "imposed extreme policies on the Welsh people".

In a statement issued to ITV News, the Welsh Government said the Prime Minister's comments on Sunday morning were "profoundly disappointing".

A Welsh Government spokesperson added: "The Prime Minister is inadvertently or intentionally, choosing to mislead people about the introduction of 20mph.