Turn off engine while fueling.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: OT: More CAF cracks

SubjectAuthor
* OT: More CAF cracksRecliner
+* OT: More CAF cracksRoland Perry
|+* OT: More CAF cracksRecliner
||`- OT: More CAF cracksRoland Perry
|`* OT: More CAF cracksAnna Noyd-Dryver
| `* OT: More CAF cracksRoland Perry
|  `* OT: More CAF cracksRecliner
|   `* OT: More CAF cracksRoland Perry
|    `* OT: More CAF cracksRecliner
|     +- OT: More CAF cracksChristopher A. Lee
|     `- OT: More CAF cracksRoland Perry
`* OT: More CAF cracksmartin.coffee
 `* OT: More CAF cracksRecliner
  +* OT: More CAF cracksmartin.coffee
  |`- OT: More CAF cracksRecliner
  `* OT: More CAF cracksArthur Figgis
   `- OT: More CAF cracksRecliner

1
OT: More CAF cracks

<sbo17h$eta$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2950&group=uk.railway#2950

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: OT: More CAF cracks
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2021 21:42:09 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:vULWoSn/BZ/Wmic9gj6oRH3zKJk=
 by: Recliner - Fri, 2 Jul 2021 21:42 UTC

From
<https://www.railjournal.com/fleet/crack-causes-flytoget-to-withdraw-brand-new-caf-fleet-from-traffic/>

Crack causes Flytoget to withdraw brand new CAF fleet from traffic

NORWEGIAN operator Flytoget has withdrawn its entire fleet of CAF Oaris
EMUs following the discovery of a crack in the chassis of one of the trains
less than a month after they entered traffic.

The trains were launched on June 5, but on June 24 Flytoget confirmed that
all eight four-car class 78 trains had been withdrawn from traffic
following discovery of the issue during scheduled maintenance. The operator
says it has not observed the error before.

“We have been very much looking forward to welcoming the passengers on
board,” the operator says in a statement. “Unfortunately, it will take
longer than planned. Safety is our most important priority, and during the
first ordinary maintenance check, a fault was discovered which is now being
rectified. This has no practical consequences for travellers.

“CAF’s engineers are now working to correct the error. It is too early to
say how extensive the error is. We are in close dialogue with CAF to solve
the problems as quickly as possible. At present, it is unfortunately not
possible to say when the train sets will be put back into service.

“At the moment we are not going to comment on this matter,” CAF spokesman,
Mr Inaki Escrig, told IRJ.

CAF Civity class 195 DMUs and class 331 EMUs used in Britain by Northern
also suffered from cracks earlier this year, with more than 20 trains from
a fleet of 101 withdrawn from traffic due to the fault. In addition, CAF
Urbos 3 LRVs operated by West Midlands Metro have suffered from cracks with
one LRV sent back to Zaragoza last year for assessment, sources have told
IRJ.

The eight four-car class 78s are the fastest trains to operate in Norway.
The 245km/h 15kV 16.7hz ac trains were delivered in March 2019 and entered
service in June this year, more than a year later than planned. They were
ordered in a NKr 1.3bn ($US 160m) deal in March 2015, with testing
beginning at the Velim test centre in May 2018.

The trains were bought to run alongside the operator’s existing 16 class 71
three-car EMU fleet with the aim of boosting capacity to Oslo airport by
50%. However, this plan is in doubt following the decline in passenger
numbers caused by the pandemic.

Re: OT: More CAF cracks

<NUpaEzmpYA4gFALA@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2956&group=uk.railway#2956

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: OT: More CAF cracks
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 07:39:37 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sat, 3 Jul 2021 06:39 UTC

In message <sbo17h$eta$1@dont-email.me>, at 21:42:09 on Fri, 2 Jul 2021,
Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>From
><https://www.railjournal.com/fleet/crack-causes-flytoget-to-withdraw-bra
>nd-new-caf-fleet-from-traffic/>
>
>Crack causes Flytoget to withdraw brand new CAF fleet from traffic
>
>NORWEGIAN operator Flytoget has withdrawn its entire fleet of CAF Oaris
>EMUs following the discovery of a crack in the chassis of one of the trains
>less than a month after they entered traffic.
>
>The trains were launched on June 5, but on June 24 Flytoget confirmed that
>all eight four-car class 78 trains had been withdrawn from traffic
>following discovery of the issue during scheduled maintenance. The operator
>says it has not observed the error before.
>
>“We have been very much looking forward to welcoming the passengers on
>board,” the operator says in a statement. “Unfortunately, it will take
>longer than planned. Safety is our most important priority, and during the
>first ordinary maintenance check, a fault was discovered which is now being
>rectified. This has no practical consequences for travellers.

For there to be no practical consequences, they must be running the
planned service with alternative trains. Where did those appear from?

>“CAF’s engineers are now working to correct the error. It is too early to
>say how extensive the error is. We are in close dialogue with CAF to solve
>the problems as quickly as possible. At present, it is unfortunately not
>possible to say when the train sets will be put back into service.
>
> “At the moment we are not going to comment on this matter,” CAF spokesman,
>Mr Inaki Escrig, told IRJ.
>
>CAF Civity class 195 DMUs and class 331 EMUs used in Britain by Northern
>also suffered from cracks earlier this year, with more than 20 trains from
>a fleet of 101 withdrawn from traffic due to the fault. In addition, CAF
>Urbos 3 LRVs operated by West Midlands Metro have suffered from cracks with
>one LRV sent back to Zaragoza last year for assessment, sources have told
>IRJ.
>
>The eight four-car class 78s are the fastest trains to operate in Norway.
>The 245km/h 15kV 16.7hz ac trains were delivered in March 2019 and entered
>service in June this year, more than a year later than planned. They were
>ordered in a NKr 1.3bn ($US 160m) deal in March 2015, with testing
>beginning at the Velim test centre in May 2018.
>
>The trains were bought to run alongside the operator’s existing 16 class 71
>three-car EMU fleet with the aim of boosting capacity to Oslo airport by
>50%. However, this plan is in doubt following the decline in passenger
>numbers caused by the pandemic.

I've caught the Oslo airport train once, but only on the return trip.
Inbound I took a bus.
--
Roland Perry

Re: OT: More CAF cracks

<sbp840$ljm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2960&group=uk.railway#2960

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 08:45:52 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:6bZfABR0wx4Zo0mRmzjvPKJLLGU=
 by: Recliner - Sat, 3 Jul 2021 08:45 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <sbo17h$eta$1@dont-email.me>, at 21:42:09 on Fri, 2 Jul 2021,
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>> From
>> <https://www.railjournal.com/fleet/crack-causes-flytoget-to-withdraw-bra
>> nd-new-caf-fleet-from-traffic/>
>>
>> Crack causes Flytoget to withdraw brand new CAF fleet from traffic
>>
>> NORWEGIAN operator Flytoget has withdrawn its entire fleet of CAF Oaris
>> EMUs following the discovery of a crack in the chassis of one of the trains
>> less than a month after they entered traffic.
>>
>> The trains were launched on June 5, but on June 24 Flytoget confirmed that
>> all eight four-car class 78 trains had been withdrawn from traffic
>> following discovery of the issue during scheduled maintenance. The operator
>> says it has not observed the error before.
>>
>> “We have been very much looking forward to welcoming the passengers on
>> board,” the operator says in a statement. “Unfortunately, it will take
>> longer than planned. Safety is our most important priority, and during the
>> first ordinary maintenance check, a fault was discovered which is now being
>> rectified. This has no practical consequences for travellers.
>
> For there to be no practical consequences, they must be running the
> planned service with alternative trains. Where did those appear from?

The existing class 71 fleet, which the new trains are intended to
supplement, as the article says. With the pandemic, boosting the capacity
of the airport services hasn't been needed, hence the very leisurely
introduction into service of the new trains: "eight four-car class 78s ...
were delivered in March 2019 and entered service in June this year, more
than a year later than planned".

>> “CAF’s engineers are now working to correct the error. It is too early to
>> say how extensive the error is. We are in close dialogue with CAF to solve
>> the problems as quickly as possible. At present, it is unfortunately not
>> possible to say when the train sets will be put back into service.
>>
>> “At the moment we are not going to comment on this matter,” CAF spokesman,
>> Mr Inaki Escrig, told IRJ.
>>
>> CAF Civity class 195 DMUs and class 331 EMUs used in Britain by Northern
>> also suffered from cracks earlier this year, with more than 20 trains from
>> a fleet of 101 withdrawn from traffic due to the fault. In addition, CAF
>> Urbos 3 LRVs operated by West Midlands Metro have suffered from cracks with
>> one LRV sent back to Zaragoza last year for assessment, sources have told
>> IRJ.
>>
>> The eight four-car class 78s are the fastest trains to operate in Norway.
>> The 245km/h 15kV 16.7hz ac trains were delivered in March 2019 and entered
>> service in June this year, more than a year later than planned. They were
>> ordered in a NKr 1.3bn ($US 160m) deal in March 2015, with testing
>> beginning at the Velim test centre in May 2018.
>>
>> The trains were bought to run alongside the operator’s existing 16 class 71
>> three-car EMU fleet with the aim of boosting capacity to Oslo airport by
>> 50%. However, this plan is in doubt following the decline in passenger
>> numbers caused by the pandemic.
>
> I've caught the Oslo airport train once, but only on the return trip.
> Inbound I took a bus.

Re: OT: More CAF cracks

<sbp8l7$p8m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2962&group=uk.railway#2962

From: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 09:55:03 +0100
 by: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk - Sat, 3 Jul 2021 08:55 UTC

On 02/07/2021 22:42, Recliner wrote:
> From
> <https://www.railjournal.com/fleet/crack-causes-flytoget-to-withdraw-brand-new-caf-fleet-from-traffic/>
>
> Crack causes Flytoget to withdraw brand new CAF fleet from traffic
>
> NORWEGIAN operator Flytoget has withdrawn its entire fleet of CAF Oaris
> EMUs following the discovery of a crack in the chassis of one of the trains
> less than a month after they entered traffic.
>
> The trains were launched on June 5, but on June 24 Flytoget confirmed that
> all eight four-car class 78 trains had been withdrawn from traffic
> following discovery of the issue during scheduled maintenance. The operator
> says it has not observed the error before.
>
> “We have been very much looking forward to welcoming the passengers on
> board,” the operator says in a statement. “Unfortunately, it will take
> longer than planned. Safety is our most important priority, and during the
> first ordinary maintenance check, a fault was discovered which is now being
> rectified. This has no practical consequences for travellers.
>
> “CAF’s engineers are now working to correct the error. It is too early to
> say how extensive the error is. We are in close dialogue with CAF to solve
> the problems as quickly as possible. At present, it is unfortunately not
> possible to say when the train sets will be put back into service.
>
> “At the moment we are not going to comment on this matter,” CAF spokesman,
> Mr Inaki Escrig, told IRJ.
>
> CAF Civity class 195 DMUs and class 331 EMUs used in Britain by Northern
> also suffered from cracks earlier this year, with more than 20 trains from
> a fleet of 101 withdrawn from traffic due to the fault. In addition, CAF
> Urbos 3 LRVs operated by West Midlands Metro have suffered from cracks with
> one LRV sent back to Zaragoza last year for assessment, sources have told
> IRJ.
>
> The eight four-car class 78s are the fastest trains to operate in Norway.
> The 245km/h 15kV 16.7hz ac trains were delivered in March 2019 and entered
> service in June this year, more than a year later than planned. They were
> ordered in a NKr 1.3bn ($US 160m) deal in March 2015, with testing
> beginning at the Velim test centre in May 2018.
>
> The trains were bought to run alongside the operator’s existing 16 class 71
> three-car EMU fleet with the aim of boosting capacity to Oslo airport by
> 50%. However, this plan is in doubt following the decline in passenger
> numbers caused by the pandemic.

I like the quaint translation of "error" for the Norwegian units whilst
its a problem in the UK.

Re: OT: More CAF cracks

<sbpad9$74p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2967&group=uk.railway#2967

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 09:24:57 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:FN4KF+EwedkTZAlSIUef8ZXUBDU=
 by: Recliner - Sat, 3 Jul 2021 09:24 UTC

<martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:
> On 02/07/2021 22:42, Recliner wrote:
>> From
>> <https://www.railjournal.com/fleet/crack-causes-flytoget-to-withdraw-brand-new-caf-fleet-from-traffic/>
>>
>> Crack causes Flytoget to withdraw brand new CAF fleet from traffic
>>
>> NORWEGIAN operator Flytoget has withdrawn its entire fleet of CAF Oaris
>> EMUs following the discovery of a crack in the chassis of one of the trains
>> less than a month after they entered traffic.
>>
>> The trains were launched on June 5, but on June 24 Flytoget confirmed that
>> all eight four-car class 78 trains had been withdrawn from traffic
>> following discovery of the issue during scheduled maintenance. The operator
>> says it has not observed the error before.
>>
>> “We have been very much looking forward to welcoming the passengers on
>> board,” the operator says in a statement. “Unfortunately, it will take
>> longer than planned. Safety is our most important priority, and during the
>> first ordinary maintenance check, a fault was discovered which is now being
>> rectified. This has no practical consequences for travellers.
>>
>> “CAF’s engineers are now working to correct the error. It is too early to
>> say how extensive the error is. We are in close dialogue with CAF to solve
>> the problems as quickly as possible. At present, it is unfortunately not
>> possible to say when the train sets will be put back into service.
>>
>> “At the moment we are not going to comment on this matter,” CAF spokesman,
>> Mr Inaki Escrig, told IRJ.
>>
>> CAF Civity class 195 DMUs and class 331 EMUs used in Britain by Northern
>> also suffered from cracks earlier this year, with more than 20 trains from
>> a fleet of 101 withdrawn from traffic due to the fault. In addition, CAF
>> Urbos 3 LRVs operated by West Midlands Metro have suffered from cracks with
>> one LRV sent back to Zaragoza last year for assessment, sources have told
>> IRJ.
>>
>> The eight four-car class 78s are the fastest trains to operate in Norway.
>> The 245km/h 15kV 16.7hz ac trains were delivered in March 2019 and entered
>> service in June this year, more than a year later than planned. They were
>> ordered in a NKr 1.3bn ($US 160m) deal in March 2015, with testing
>> beginning at the Velim test centre in May 2018.
>>
>> The trains were bought to run alongside the operator’s existing 16 class 71
>> three-car EMU fleet with the aim of boosting capacity to Oslo airport by
>> 50%. However, this plan is in doubt following the decline in passenger
>> numbers caused by the pandemic.
>>
> I like the quaint translation of "error" for the Norwegian units whilst
> its a problem in the UK.

Yes, an unusual, almost-right mis-translation. And, of course, the problem
clearly arose because of an error.

I'm intrigued that almost brand-new trains can develop chassis cracks. It
won't be fatigue, and so must be because of either basic design or
manufacturing 'errors'.

Re: OT: More CAF cracks

<sbpb2u$c7v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2968&group=uk.railway#2968

From: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 10:36:07 +0100
 by: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk - Sat, 3 Jul 2021 09:36 UTC

On 03/07/2021 10:24, Recliner wrote:
> <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:
>> On 02/07/2021 22:42, Recliner wrote:
>>> From
>>> <https://www.railjournal.com/fleet/crack-causes-flytoget-to-withdraw-brand-new-caf-fleet-from-traffic/>
>>>
>>> Crack causes Flytoget to withdraw brand new CAF fleet from traffic
>>>
>>> NORWEGIAN operator Flytoget has withdrawn its entire fleet of CAF Oaris
>>> EMUs following the discovery of a crack in the chassis of one of the trains
>>> less than a month after they entered traffic.
>>>
>>> The trains were launched on June 5, but on June 24 Flytoget confirmed that
>>> all eight four-car class 78 trains had been withdrawn from traffic
>>> following discovery of the issue during scheduled maintenance. The operator
>>> says it has not observed the error before.
>>>
>>> “We have been very much looking forward to welcoming the passengers on
>>> board,” the operator says in a statement. “Unfortunately, it will take
>>> longer than planned. Safety is our most important priority, and during the
>>> first ordinary maintenance check, a fault was discovered which is now being
>>> rectified. This has no practical consequences for travellers.
>>>
>>> “CAF’s engineers are now working to correct the error. It is too early to
>>> say how extensive the error is. We are in close dialogue with CAF to solve
>>> the problems as quickly as possible. At present, it is unfortunately not
>>> possible to say when the train sets will be put back into service.
>>>
>>> “At the moment we are not going to comment on this matter,” CAF spokesman,
>>> Mr Inaki Escrig, told IRJ.
>>>
>>> CAF Civity class 195 DMUs and class 331 EMUs used in Britain by Northern
>>> also suffered from cracks earlier this year, with more than 20 trains from
>>> a fleet of 101 withdrawn from traffic due to the fault. In addition, CAF
>>> Urbos 3 LRVs operated by West Midlands Metro have suffered from cracks with
>>> one LRV sent back to Zaragoza last year for assessment, sources have told
>>> IRJ.
>>>
>>> The eight four-car class 78s are the fastest trains to operate in Norway.
>>> The 245km/h 15kV 16.7hz ac trains were delivered in March 2019 and entered
>>> service in June this year, more than a year later than planned. They were
>>> ordered in a NKr 1.3bn ($US 160m) deal in March 2015, with testing
>>> beginning at the Velim test centre in May 2018.
>>>
>>> The trains were bought to run alongside the operator’s existing 16 class 71
>>> three-car EMU fleet with the aim of boosting capacity to Oslo airport by
>>> 50%. However, this plan is in doubt following the decline in passenger
>>> numbers caused by the pandemic.
>>>
>> I like the quaint translation of "error" for the Norwegian units whilst
>> its a problem in the UK.
>>

> Yes, an unusual, almost-right mis-translation. And, of course, the problem
> clearly arose because of an error.
>
> I'm intrigued that almost brand-new trains can develop chassis cracks. It
> won't be fatigue, and so must be because of either basic design or
> manufacturing 'errors'.

Yes. It's becoming endemic. I'm coming to the conclusion that the
change from prototype (or even pre-prototype) testing to computer
modelling is responsible and design errors are not being picked up.

Perhaps there're errors in the algorithms used by the modelling?

Re: OT: More CAF cracks

<sbpbt2$ikg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2970&group=uk.railway#2970

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 09:50:26 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:9kbAy+MZw5oQFeVeiU8HTlC5VM4=
 by: Recliner - Sat, 3 Jul 2021 09:50 UTC

<martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:
> On 03/07/2021 10:24, Recliner wrote:
>> <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:

>>> I like the quaint translation of "error" for the Norwegian units whilst
>>> its a problem in the UK.
>>>

>> Yes, an unusual, almost-right mis-translation. And, of course, the problem
>> clearly arose because of an error.
>>
>> I'm intrigued that almost brand-new trains can develop chassis cracks. It
>> won't be fatigue, and so must be because of either basic design or
>> manufacturing 'errors'.
>>

> Yes. It's becoming endemic. I'm coming to the conclusion that the
> change from prototype (or even pre-prototype) testing to computer
> modelling is responsible and design errors are not being picked up.
>
> Perhaps there're errors in the algorithms used by the modelling?

Probably not the algorithms, but maybe the once-generous safety factors are
being trimmed in the interests of low weight? Perhaps they put too much
faith in welding quality? It certainly appears that they're not doing
enough rig testing.

Re: OT: More CAF cracks

<dzsuduq$PE4gFArY@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2975&group=uk.railway#2975

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 12:03:27 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sat, 3 Jul 2021 11:03 UTC

In message <sbp840$ljm$1@dont-email.me>, at 08:45:52 on Sat, 3 Jul 2021,
Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <sbo17h$eta$1@dont-email.me>, at 21:42:09 on Fri, 2 Jul 2021,
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>>> From
>>> <https://www.railjournal.com/fleet/crack-causes-flytoget-to-withdraw-bra
>>> nd-new-caf-fleet-from-traffic/>
>>>
>>> Crack causes Flytoget to withdraw brand new CAF fleet from traffic
>>>
>>> NORWEGIAN operator Flytoget has withdrawn its entire fleet of CAF Oaris
>>> EMUs following the discovery of a crack in the chassis of one of the trains
>>> less than a month after they entered traffic.
>>>
>>> The trains were launched on June 5, but on June 24 Flytoget confirmed that
>>> all eight four-car class 78 trains had been withdrawn from traffic
>>> following discovery of the issue during scheduled maintenance. The operator
>>> says it has not observed the error before.
>>>
>>> “We have been very much looking forward to welcoming the passengers on
>>> board,” the operator says in a statement. “Unfortunately, it will take
>>> longer than planned. Safety is our most important priority, and during the
>>> first ordinary maintenance check, a fault was discovered which is now being
>>> rectified. This has no practical consequences for travellers.
>>
>> For there to be no practical consequences, they must be running the
>> planned service with alternative trains. Where did those appear from?
>
>The existing class 71 fleet, which the new trains are intended to
>supplement, as the article says. With the pandemic, boosting the capacity
>of the airport services hasn't been needed, hence the very leisurely
>introduction into service of the new trains: "eight four-car class 78s ...
>were delivered in March 2019 and entered service in June this year, more
>than a year later than planned".

For that to have no impact on the passengers, they'd have to split the
existing fleet in order to maintain the frequency of the service they'd
planned for the combined fleets. I suspect that isn't what they did.
--
Roland Perry

Re: OT: More CAF cracks

<Y6Gdnbq0JLGh1n39nZ2dnUU78XGdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2979&group=uk.railway#2979

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: afig...@example.com.invalid (Arthur Figgis)
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 12:34:20 +0100
 by: Arthur Figgis - Sat, 3 Jul 2021 11:34 UTC

On 03/07/2021 10:24, Recliner wrote:

> I'm intrigued that almost brand-new trains can develop chassis cracks.

Do modern passenger trains have a chassis as such?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Re: OT: More CAF cracks

<dso0egpcv1d86el2eogukjqq3bl9eu7s9u@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2984&group=uk.railway#2984

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2021 14:19:14 +0100
 by: Recliner - Sat, 3 Jul 2021 13:19 UTC

On Sat, 3 Jul 2021 12:34:20 +0100, Arthur Figgis <afiggis@example.com.invalid> wrote:

>On 03/07/2021 10:24, Recliner wrote:
>
>> I'm intrigued that almost brand-new trains can develop chassis cracks.
>
>Do modern passenger trains have a chassis as such?

Not really, but there are bolsters, with various things attached to them. I suspect that's where the cracks are.

Re: OT: More CAF cracks

<sbs902$2ui$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3061&group=uk.railway#3061

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 12:19:14 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:8Lxrnca7cih5m8MHbrpjZIT8Oe0=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 12:19 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <sbo17h$eta$1@dont-email.me>, at 21:42:09 on Fri, 2 Jul 2021,
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>> From
>> <https://www.railjournal.com/fleet/crack-causes-flytoget-to-withdraw-bra
>> nd-new-caf-fleet-from-traffic/>
>>
>> Crack causes Flytoget to withdraw brand new CAF fleet from traffic
>>
>> NORWEGIAN operator Flytoget has withdrawn its entire fleet of CAF Oaris
>> EMUs following the discovery of a crack in the chassis of one of the trains
>> less than a month after they entered traffic.
>>
>> The trains were launched on June 5, but on June 24 Flytoget confirmed that
>> all eight four-car class 78 trains had been withdrawn from traffic
>> following discovery of the issue during scheduled maintenance. The operator
>> says it has not observed the error before.
>>
>> “We have been very much looking forward to welcoming the passengers on
>> board,” the operator says in a statement. “Unfortunately, it will take
>> longer than planned. Safety is our most important priority, and during the
>> first ordinary maintenance check, a fault was discovered which is now being
>> rectified. This has no practical consequences for travellers.
>
> For there to be no practical consequences, they must be running the
> planned service with alternative trains. Where did those appear from?

The answer is lower down in the text you quoted:

>> The trains were bought to run alongside the operator’s existing 16 class 71
>> three-car EMU fleet with the aim of boosting capacity to Oslo airport by
>> 50%. However, this plan is in doubt following the decline in passenger
>> numbers caused by the pandemic.

If the trains have only just entered service, it's reasonable to assume
that the timetable increase hasn't yet happened, therefore the full service
can be maintained using the original fleet.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: OT: More CAF cracks

<jACRxVYFfb4gFAe1@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3064&group=uk.railway#3064

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 14:29:41 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 13:29 UTC

In message <sbs902$2ui$1@dont-email.me>, at 12:19:14 on Sun, 4 Jul 2021,
Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <sbo17h$eta$1@dont-email.me>, at 21:42:09 on Fri, 2 Jul 2021,
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>>> From
>>> <https://www.railjournal.com/fleet/crack-causes-flytoget-to-withdraw-bra
>>> nd-new-caf-fleet-from-traffic/>
>>>
>>> Crack causes Flytoget to withdraw brand new CAF fleet from traffic
>>>
>>> NORWEGIAN operator Flytoget has withdrawn its entire fleet of CAF Oaris
>>> EMUs following the discovery of a crack in the chassis of one of the trains
>>> less than a month after they entered traffic.
>>>
>>> The trains were launched on June 5, but on June 24 Flytoget confirmed that
>>> all eight four-car class 78 trains had been withdrawn from traffic
>>> following discovery of the issue during scheduled maintenance. The operator
>>> says it has not observed the error before.
>>>
>>> “We have been very much looking forward to welcoming the passengers on
>>> board,” the operator says in a statement. “Unfortunately, it will take
>>> longer than planned. Safety is our most important priority, and during the
>>> first ordinary maintenance check, a fault was discovered which is now being
>>> rectified. This has no practical consequences for travellers.
>>
>> For there to be no practical consequences, they must be running the
>> planned service with alternative trains. Where did those appear from?
>
>The answer is lower down in the text you quoted:
>
>>> The trains were bought to run alongside the operator’s existing 16
>>>class 71
>>> three-car EMU fleet with the aim of boosting capacity to Oslo airport by
>>> 50%. However, this plan is in doubt following the decline in passenger
>>> numbers caused by the pandemic.
>
>If the trains have only just entered service, it's reasonable to assume
>that the timetable increase hasn't yet happened, therefore the full service
>can be maintained using the original fleet.

And increased to the new frequency when originally planned?
--
Roland Perry

Re: OT: More CAF cracks

<4pe3egtoqv1fc5hr9btklfs0r4rjq8g8pl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3066&group=uk.railway#3066

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 14:48:58 +0100
 by: Recliner - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 13:48 UTC

On Sun, 4 Jul 2021 14:29:41 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:

>In message <sbs902$2ui$1@dont-email.me>, at 12:19:14 on Sun, 4 Jul 2021,
>Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:
>>Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <sbo17h$eta$1@dont-email.me>, at 21:42:09 on Fri, 2 Jul 2021,
>>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> For there to be no practical consequences, they must be running the
>>> planned service with alternative trains. Where did those appear from?
>>
>>The answer is lower down in the text you quoted:

>>If the trains have only just entered service, it's reasonable to assume
>>that the timetable increase hasn't yet happened, therefore the full service
>>can be maintained using the original fleet.
>
>And increased to the new frequency when originally planned?

As the article makes perfectly clear, the higher frequency plan was delayed from last year, and may now be dropped
altogether, thanks to the pandemic, as the extra capacity simply won't be needed any time soon. One might speculate
that the operator might be keen to find reasons to reject the new trains altogether, or at least delay paying for them.

Re: OT: More CAF cracks

<AG05QsbdCd4gFAbI@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3073&group=uk.railway#3073

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 16:15:41 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 15:15 UTC

In message <4pe3egtoqv1fc5hr9btklfs0r4rjq8g8pl@4ax.com>, at 14:48:58 on
Sun, 4 Jul 2021, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>On Sun, 4 Jul 2021 14:29:41 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>In message <sbs902$2ui$1@dont-email.me>, at 12:19:14 on Sun, 4 Jul 2021,
>>Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:

>>>The answer is lower down in the text you quoted:

>>>If the trains have only just entered service, it's reasonable to assume
>>>that the timetable increase hasn't yet happened, therefore the full service
>>>can be maintained using the original fleet.
>>
>>And increased to the new frequency when originally planned?
>
>As the article makes perfectly clear, the higher frequency plan was
>delayed from last year, and may now be dropped altogether, thanks to
>the pandemic, as the extra capacity simply won't be needed any time
>soon. One might speculate that the operator might be keen to find
>reasons to reject the new trains altogether, or at least delay paying
>for them.

"Capacity" - the number of seats per hour or whatever - is quite
different from the granularity of the service. And a less frequent
service is a negative consequence for travellers.

As a hypothetical passenger judging what the practical consequences
were, I'd rather have a quarter full train every 15 minutes than a
half-full one every 30 minutes.

The lower level of service might be good for the operator (as long as it
doesn't put people off using it altogether) but it was their choice to
claim passengers would experience no practical consequences.
--
Roland Perry

Re: OT: More CAF cracks

<sbslnp$sui$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3079&group=uk.railway#3079

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 15:56:41 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:nY2bD2JmDSkRgwryKUxsUsbHeGI=
 by: Recliner - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 15:56 UTC

What they never had they won't miss.

Re: OT: More CAF cracks

<orp3egljo1i945vt5vl4tf6vac7qu07vjc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3094&group=uk.railway#3094

From: c.l...@fairpoint.net (Christopher A. Lee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 12:04:10 -0500
 by: Christopher A. Lee - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 17:04 UTC

On Sun, 4 Jul 2021 15:56:41 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
<recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <4pe3egtoqv1fc5hr9btklfs0r4rjq8g8pl@4ax.com>, at 14:48:58 on

>>> As the article makes perfectly clear, the higher frequency plan was
>>> delayed from last year, and may now be dropped altogether, thanks to
>>> the pandemic, as the extra capacity simply won't be needed any time
>>> soon. One might speculate that the operator might be keen to find
>>> reasons to reject the new trains altogether, or at least delay paying
>>> for them.
>>
>> "Capacity" - the number of seats per hour or whatever - is quite
>> different from the granularity of the service. And a less frequent
>> service is a negative consequence for travellers.
>>
>> As a hypothetical passenger judging what the practical consequences
>> were, I'd rather have a quarter full train every 15 minutes than a
>> half-full one every 30 minutes.
>>
>> The lower level of service might be good for the operator (as long as it
>> doesn't put people off using it altogether) but it was their choice to
>> claim passengers would experience no practical consequences.
>
>What they never had they won't miss.

Ask a pimply teenager with raging hormones due to puberty, who's
never...

Re: OT: More CAF cracks

<AbxpHNhIqe4gFAqh@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3096&group=uk.railway#3096

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 18:06:16 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 17:06 UTC

In message <sbslnp$sui$1@dont-email.me>, at 15:56:41 on Sun, 4 Jul 2021,
Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <4pe3egtoqv1fc5hr9btklfs0r4rjq8g8pl@4ax.com>, at 14:48:58 on

That isn't necessarily the case. But we need more information to know.
Not unknown, in the UK at least, to have a new timetable that's
contingent on the arrival of additional/new stock and which subsequently
has a pattern of systemic cancellations if it turns out there's been a
commissioning issue.

AFAICT Scotrail cancelled 5,000 services in 2019 as a result of rolling
stock problems (as well as another 3,500 for lack of drivers).

>>> As the article makes perfectly clear, the higher frequency plan was
>>> delayed from last year, and may now be dropped altogether, thanks to
>>> the pandemic, as the extra capacity simply won't be needed any time
>>> soon. One might speculate that the operator might be keen to find
>>> reasons to reject the new trains altogether, or at least delay paying
>>> for them.
>>
>> "Capacity" - the number of seats per hour or whatever - is quite
>> different from the granularity of the service. And a less frequent
>> service is a negative consequence for travellers.
>>
>> As a hypothetical passenger judging what the practical consequences
>> were, I'd rather have a quarter full train every 15 minutes than a
>> half-full one every 30 minutes.
>>
>> The lower level of service might be good for the operator (as long as it
>> doesn't put people off using it altogether) but it was their choice to
>> claim passengers would experience no practical consequences.
>
>What they never had they won't miss.

Maybe they didn't miss the promise of the more frequent service.
--
Roland Perry