The help people need most urgently is help in admitting that they need help.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: More "notorious" infrastructure to blame

SubjectAuthor
* More "notorious" infrastructure to blameSimon Mason
+- Re: More "notorious" infrastructure to blameSpike
+* Re: More "notorious" infrastructure to blameSimon Mason
|+* Re: More "notorious" infrastructure to blameSimon Mason
||`- Re: More "notorious" infrastructure to blameSpike
|`- Re: More "notorious" infrastructure to blameSpike
+* Re: More "notorious" infrastructure to blameJNugent
|`- Re: More "notorious" infrastructure to blameJNugent
+* Re: More "notorious" infrastructure to blameSimon Mason
|+- Re: More "notorious" infrastructure to blameJNugent
|+- Re: More "notorious" infrastructure to blameSimon Mason
|`- Re: More "notorious" infrastructure to blameSpike
+- Re: More "notorious" infrastructure to blameSimon Mason
`- Re: More "notorious" infrastructure to blameSimon Mason

1
More "notorious" infrastructure to blame

<25984265-ad81-44ff-afb5-c668c73cd36fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30957&group=uk.rec.cycling#30957

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 13:59:17 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: More "notorious" infrastructure to blame
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 20:59 UTC

An eight-year-old boy has been taken to hospital after he was struck by a car on a zebra crossing notorious for collisions in Bradford.

The child was hit by a Volkswagen Jetta as he crossed Horton Grange Road at about 18:20 BST on Wednesday, West Yorkshire Police said.

He suffered minor injuries and was taken to hospital by ambulance.

The driver of the Jetta stopped at the scene, with police enquiries described as ongoing.

The crossing near the Spencer Road junction in west Bradford is due to be given traffic lights after it went viral on social media following a spate of crashes.

Speaking in July, a Bradford Council spokesperson said the puffin crossing would be fitted in the coming months.

Following the latest crash, the BBC has contacted the local authority to ask for an update on the timeframe for the works.

The boy was taken to Bradford Royal Infirmary for treatment, the Yorkshire Ambulance Service said.

A West Yorkshire Police spokesperson said: "Anyone who witnessed the collision or who may have dash cam footage is asked to contact police via 101 or use the live chat facility quoting log 1523 of 6 September."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-66739598

Re: More "notorious" infrastructure to blame

<knu5qmFq3hhU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30961&group=uk.rec.cycling#30961

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: More "notorious" infrastructure to blame
Date: 1 Oct 2023 21:15:02 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 21:15 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> An eight-year-old boy has been taken to hospital after he was struck by a
> car on a zebra crossing notorious for collisions in Bradford.

> A West Yorkshire Police spokesperson said: "Anyone who witnessed the
> collision or who may have dash cam footage is asked to contact police via
> 101 or use the live chat facility quoting log 1523 of 6 September."

> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-66739598

Well, it’s been nearly a month, how’s the investigation going?

--
Spike

Re: More "notorious" infrastructure to blame

<298445d8-cc61-4cd6-b4ac-79fc4f6533dfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30965&group=uk.rec.cycling#30965

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 23:08:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 06:08 UTC

QUOTE: An eight-year-old boy has been taken to hospital after he was struck by a car on a zebra crossing notorious for collisions in Bradford. ENDS

And what is the source of these "notorious collisions"?

Oh yes - drivers of motor vehicles - so fit puffin crossings - oh you already are doing.

Re: More "notorious" infrastructure to blame

<ko09bvF6352U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30976&group=uk.rec.cycling#30976

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2023 11:27:43 -0500
 by: JNugent - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 16:27 UTC

On 01/10/2023 15:59, Simon Mason wrote:
> An eight-year-old boy has been taken to hospital after he was struck by a car on a zebra crossing notorious for collisions in Bradford.
>
> The child was hit by a Volkswagen Jetta as he crossed Horton Grange Road at about 18:20 BST on Wednesday, West Yorkshire Police said.
>
> He suffered minor injuries and was taken to hospital by ambulance.
>
> The driver of the Jetta stopped at the scene, with police enquiries described as ongoing.
>
> The crossing near the Spencer Road junction in west Bradford is due to be given traffic lights after it went viral on social media following a spate of crashes.
>
> Speaking in July, a Bradford Council spokesperson said the puffin crossing would be fitted in the coming months.
>
> Following the latest crash, the BBC has contacted the local authority to ask for an update on the timeframe for the works.
>
> The boy was taken to Bradford Royal Infirmary for treatment, the Yorkshire Ambulance Service said.
>
> A West Yorkshire Police spokesperson said: "Anyone who witnessed the collision or who may have dash cam footage is asked to contact police via 101 or use the live chat facility quoting log 1523 of 6 September."
>
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-66739598

Whan I took my (one and only) driving test in North London in 1972, I
was approaching a zebra crossing.

The examiner was looking down at his clipboard and a small child ran out
of a sweetshop (merciffuly, on my right) straight onto the crossing. I
did an emergency stop and the examiner hit his head on the windscreen
(the car was too old for seatbelts).

Had that sweetshop been on my left, my emergency stop might not have
been quick enough. I can quite understand how some zebra crossing
accidents happen.

ADDENDUM: The examiner said I didn't have to do the usual staged
emergency stop as well as that one.

Re: More "notorious" infrastructure to blame

<d581cb60-4af4-43c5-a125-0699d996b0ffn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30982&group=uk.rec.cycling#30982

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 10:03:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 17:03 UTC

On Monday, October 2, 2023 at 7:08:34 AM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
> QUOTE: An eight-year-old boy has been taken to hospital after he was struck by a car on a zebra crossing notorious for collisions in Bradford. ENDS
>
> And what is the source of these "notorious collisions"?
>
> Oh yes - drivers of motor vehicles - so fit puffin crossings - oh you already are doing.

QUOTE: Speaking in July, a Bradford Council spokesperson said the puffin crossing would be fitted in the coming months. ENDS

A bit late now, you numpties. You were culpable for that child going to hospital.

SHAME ON YOU.

Re: More "notorious" infrastructure to blame

<ko0bsrF6farU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30986&group=uk.rec.cycling#30986

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2023 12:10:52 -0500
 by: JNugent - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 17:10 UTC

On 02/10/2023 11:27, JNugent wrote:
> On 01/10/2023 15:59, Simon Mason wrote:
>> An eight-year-old boy has been taken to hospital after he was struck
>> by a car on a zebra crossing notorious for collisions in Bradford.
>>
>> The child was hit by a Volkswagen Jetta as he crossed Horton Grange
>> Road at about 18:20 BST on Wednesday, West Yorkshire Police said.
>>
>> He suffered minor injuries and was taken to hospital by ambulance.
>>
>> The driver of the Jetta stopped at the scene, with police enquiries
>> described as ongoing.
>>
>> The crossing near the Spencer Road junction in west Bradford is due to
>> be given traffic lights after it went viral on social media following
>> a spate of crashes.
>>
>> Speaking in July, a Bradford Council spokesperson said the puffin
>> crossing would be fitted in the coming months.
>>
>> Following the latest crash, the BBC has contacted the local authority
>> to ask for an update on the timeframe for the works.
>>
>> The boy was taken to Bradford Royal Infirmary for treatment, the
>> Yorkshire Ambulance Service said.
>>
>> A West Yorkshire Police spokesperson said: "Anyone who witnessed the
>> collision or who may have dash cam footage is asked to contact police
>> via 101 or use the live chat facility quoting log 1523 of 6 September."
>>
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-66739598
>
> Whan I took my (one and only) driving test in North London in 1972, I
> was approaching a zebra crossing.
>
> The examiner was looking down at his clipboard and a small child ran out
> of a sweetshop (merciffuly, on my right) straight onto the crossing. I
> did an emergency stop and the examiner hit his head on the windscreen
> (the car was too old for seatbelts).

ERRATUM: "mercifully"

> Had that sweetshop been on my left, my emergency stop might not have
> been quick enough. I can quite understand how some zebra crossing
> accidents happen.
>
> ADDENDUM: The examiner said I didn't have to do the usual staged
> emergency stop as well as that one.

Re: More "notorious" infrastructure to blame

<fe71b7e9-e23f-4762-b596-876f8ea48305n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30988&group=uk.rec.cycling#30988

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 10:15:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 17:15 UTC

QUOTE: An eight-year-old boy has been taken to hospital after he was struck by a car on a zebra crossing notorious for collisions in Bradford.ENDS

So this zebra crossing is a very common site for drivers hitting people using it - tried a camera yet?

Re: More "notorious" infrastructure to blame

<ko0cf2F6farU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30990&group=uk.rec.cycling#30990

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2023 12:20:35 -0500
 by: JNugent - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 17:20 UTC

On 02/10/2023 12:15, Simon Mason wrote:

> QUOTE: An eight-year-old boy has been taken to hospital after he was struck by a car on a zebra crossing notorious for collisions in Bradford.ENDS
>
> So this zebra crossing is a very common site for drivers hitting people using it - tried a camera yet?

How many chav cyclists like yourself have mowed down pedestrians there,
perhaps while chav-cycling home from the boozer after a skinful (like
you used to boast of)?

Re: More "notorious" infrastructure to blame

<e0f22eb4-037e-4b11-92b0-11b62ad0ede6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30996&group=uk.rec.cycling#30996

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 10:32:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 17:32 UTC

On Monday, October 2, 2023 at 6:15:06 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
> QUOTE: An eight-year-old boy has been taken to hospital after he was struck by a car on a zebra crossing notorious for collisions in Bradford.ENDS
>
> So this zebra crossing is a very common site for drivers hitting people using it - tried a camera yet?

QUOTE: Zebra crossings don't have cameras because they're not traffic light controlled. Any crossing which is traffic light controlled may have a safety camera which will ticket you for jumping the red light. ENDS

Missing a trick there, Bradford.

Re: More "notorious" infrastructure to blame

<ko0q6aF8nudU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31006&group=uk.rec.cycling#31006

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 2 Oct 2023 21:14:50 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 21:14 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> QUOTE: An eight-year-old boy has been taken to hospital after he was
> struck by a car on a zebra crossing notorious for collisions in Bradford. ENDS

> And what is the source of these "notorious collisions"?

> Oh yes - drivers of motor vehicles - so fit puffin crossings - oh you already are doing.

Would you have posted such had the child on the crossing been mown down by
a cyclist?

Nuff said…

--
Spike

Re: More "notorious" infrastructure to blame

<ko0q6bF8nudU10@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31010&group=uk.rec.cycling#31010

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 2 Oct 2023 21:14:51 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 21:14 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, October 2, 2023 at 7:08:34 AM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
>> QUOTE: An eight-year-old boy has been taken to hospital after he was
>> struck by a car on a zebra crossing notorious for collisions in Bradford. ENDS
>>
>> And what is the source of these "notorious collisions"?
>>
>> Oh yes - drivers of motor vehicles - so fit puffin crossings - oh you already are doing.
>
> QUOTE: Speaking in July, a Bradford Council spokesperson said the puffin
> crossing would be fitted in the coming months. ENDS
>
> A bit late now, you numpties. You were culpable for that child going to hospital.
>
> SHAME ON YOU.

Who does a dead cyclist blame when killed ‘…entering the road from the
pavement’?

It’s the fourth highest contributory factor in cyclist deaths.

--
Spike

Re: More "notorious" infrastructure to blame

<adf31e00-a061-4b25-96c7-28d64ee47a66n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31022&group=uk.rec.cycling#31022

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 00:00:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 07:00 UTC

QUOTE: An eight-year-old boy has been taken to hospital after he was struck by a car on a zebra crossing notorious for collisions in Bradford. ENDS

THAT many idiot drivers failing to stop for pedestrians, eh?
Same old same old.

Re: More "notorious" infrastructure to blame

<ko2p2aFiluiU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31034&group=uk.rec.cycling#31034

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 3 Oct 2023 15:07:54 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 15:07 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> QUOTE: An eight-year-old boy has been taken to hospital after he was
> struck by a car on a zebra crossing notorious for collisions in Bradford.ENDS
>
> So this zebra crossing is a very common site for drivers hitting people
> using it - tried a camera yet?

Would the police have enough manpower to chase all the cyclists caught on
camera that ignored people on zebra crossings?

--
Spike

Re: More "notorious" infrastructure to blame

<6f065e76-90ac-41a1-97ea-74e8d2808195n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31048&group=uk.rec.cycling#31048

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 08:43:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 15:43 UTC

QUOTE: The child was hit by a Volkswagen Jetta as he crossed Horton Grange Road at about 18:20 BST on Wednesday, West Yorkshire Police said. ENDS

Mr Arsehole might be able to use the "low flying Sun" wriggle at that time of day - just about.