Man must shape his tools lest they shape him. -- Arthur R. Miller

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Woman hit by HGV in Homerton High Street in hospital

SubjectAuthor
* Woman hit by HGV in Homerton High Street in hospitalSimon Mason
+- Re: Woman hit by HGV in Homerton High Street in hospitalJNugent
+* Re: Woman hit by HGV in Homerton High Street in hospitalSimon Mason
|`- Re: Woman hit by HGV in Homerton High Street in hospitalSpike
+* Re: Woman hit by HGV in Homerton High Street in hospitalSimon Mason
|`- Re: Woman hit by HGV in Homerton High Street in hospitalSpike
`* Re: Woman hit by HGV in Homerton High Street in hospitalSimon Mason
 +- Re: Woman hit by HGV in Homerton High Street in hospitalSpike
 `* Re: Woman hit by HGV in Homerton High Street in hospitalSimon Mason
  +- Re: Woman hit by HGV in Homerton High Street in hospitalSpike
  `* Re: Woman hit by HGV in Homerton High Street in hospitalSimon Mason
   +- Re: Woman hit by HGV in Homerton High Street in hospitalSpike
   `* Re: Woman hit by HGV in Homerton High Street in hospitalSimon Mason
    +- Re: Woman hit by HGV in Homerton High Street in hospitalSpike
    `- Re: Woman hit by HGV in Homerton High Street in hospitalJNugent

1
Woman hit by HGV in Homerton High Street in hospital

<f5398ca7-5b7e-443c-a418-d920db0c292fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31386&group=uk.rec.cycling#31386

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 08:50:44 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Woman hit by HGV in Homerton High Street in hospital
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 15:50 UTC

A woman is fighting for her life in hospital after she was hit by an HGV in a busy high street.

Police were called to the crash in Homerton High Street just before 7.45am this morning.

A woman, who police described as a “pedestrian”, was rushed to an east London hospital.

A police spokesperson said that her condition is being treated as “life-threatening”.

They added that the driver of the HGV stopped at the scene and is assisting the police.

In the aftermath of the crash, Cllr Mete Coban, Hackney's cabinet member for climate change, environment and transport, sent his "thoughts and prayers" to the victim’s family and friends.

Posting to X, he said: "Saddened to hear the news of a cyclist run over by a lorry on Homerton High Street."

Police say that at this time they believe the woman was a pedestrian, and not a cyclist.

Road closures are currently in place along the road between Marsh Hill and Ponsford Street while emergency services work at the scene.

This has caused long traffic queues and forced the detour of bus routes 236, 276, 308, 425, 488 and W15.

London Ambulance Service and London’s Air Ambulance also attended the scene.

Any witnesses or those with dash cam footage that might help police are urged to call 101, or post on X to @MetCC, quoting reference CAD 1289/11 Oct.

https://www.hackneygazette.co.uk/news/23848548.woman-hit-hgv-homerton-high-street-hospital/

Re: Woman hit by HGV in Homerton High Street in hospital

<koqm7qFpn3pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31390&group=uk.rec.cycling#31390

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 17:46:50 +0100
 by: JNugent - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 16:46 UTC

On 12/10/2023 04:50 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> A woman is fighting for her life in hospital after she was hit by an HGV in a busy high street.
> Police were called to the crash in Homerton High Street just before 7.45am this morning.
> A woman, who police described as a “pedestrian”, was rushed to an east London hospital.
> A police spokesperson said that her condition is being treated as “life-threatening”.

Horrific. One never knows the minute, as was drummed into us all at school.

> They added that the driver of the HGV stopped at the scene and is assisting the police.
> In the aftermath of the crash, Cllr Mete Coban, Hackney's cabinet member for climate change, environment and transport, sent his "thoughts and prayers" to the victim’s family and friends.
> Posting to X, he said: "Saddened to hear the news of a cyclist run over by a lorry on Homerton High Street."

So he reckons he knows better than the police who attended the scene?

> Police say that at this time they believe the woman was a pedestrian, and not a cyclist.
> Road closures are currently in place along the road between Marsh Hill and Ponsford Street while emergency services work at the scene.
> This has caused long traffic queues and forced the detour of bus routes 236, 276, 308, 425, 488 and W15.
> London Ambulance Service and London’s Air Ambulance also attended the scene.

The helicopter pilot did very well setting down his aircraft in such a
restricted area.

<https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/homerton-high-street-accident-lorry-woman-hackney-ambulance-met-police-b1112826.html>

> Any witnesses or those with dash cam footage that might help police are urged to call 101, or post on X to @MetCC, quoting reference CAD 1289/11 Oct.
> https://www.hackneygazette.co.uk/news/23848548.woman-hit-hgv-homerton-high-street-hospital/

Re: Woman hit by HGV in Homerton High Street in hospital

<6f399000-07fe-437b-a3eb-6de75209c491n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31391&group=uk.rec.cycling#31391

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 11:10:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 18:10 UTC

QUOTE: Police say that at this time they believe the woman was a pedestrian, and not a cyclist. ENDS

The coppers of the old school were able to tell the difference by sight.

Re: Woman hit by HGV in Homerton High Street in hospital

<kor3m8Fs39uU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31395&group=uk.rec.cycling#31395

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 12 Oct 2023 20:36:24 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 20:36 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> QUOTE: Police say that at this time they believe the woman was a
> pedestrian, and not a cyclist. ENDS

> The coppers of the old school were able to tell the difference by sight.

Relax.

The ‘cyclist’ mistake was by the virtue-signalling Cllr Mete Coban:

“In the aftermath of the crash, Cllr Mete Coban, Hackney's cabinet member
for climate change, environment and transport, sent his "thoughts and
prayers" to the victim’s family and friends.

Posting to X, he said: "Saddened to hear the news of a cyclist run over by
a lorry on Homerton High Street."”

Nothing to do with the police, old school or otherwise.

Don’t you read things before posting about them?

--
Spike

Re: Woman hit by HGV in Homerton High Street in hospital

<6c2b1ed3-d183-49f2-8c4c-168449c5316bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31396&group=uk.rec.cycling#31396

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 13:47:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 20:47 UTC

QUOTE: A) that HGV looks like a delivery lorry of some kind, not a construction vehicle

B) This happened on Homerton High Street which is not closed to traffic and nor has anyone tried to close it to traffic

C) The article is about a pedestrian being killed by somebody driving a lorry. Nothing to do with cyclists. ENDS

As we were then, guv. No cyclist involved -- good news.

Re: Woman hit by HGV in Homerton High Street in hospital

<kor50mFsaq1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31398&group=uk.rec.cycling#31398

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 12 Oct 2023 20:59:02 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 20:59 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> QUOTE: A) that HGV looks like a delivery lorry of some kind, not a construction vehicle
>
> B) This happened on Homerton High Street which is not closed to traffic
> and nor has anyone tried to close it to traffic

> C) The article is about a pedestrian being killed by somebody driving a
> lorry. Nothing to do with cyclists. ENDS

> As we were then, guv.

Apart from the dead woman, who is dead.

> No cyclist involved -- good news.

Someone died…that’s bad news.

--
Spike

Re: Woman hit by HGV in Homerton High Street in hospital

<c89f3e79-035b-4fb2-a028-142c313ae542n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31399&group=uk.rec.cycling#31399

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 00:39:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 07:39 UTC

Cllr Mete Coban MBE, Cabinet Member for Environment and Transport

We want to keep pushing at what’s possible in the fight against climate change, which is why we’ve brought forward part of our net zero target to 2030 so it takes into account the areas we control directly as a Council.

But there’s more we’ve got to do to reach net zero as a borough by 2040 - and we can only do that in partnership with our residents, businesses, and other towns, cities and counties facing the same challenges.

Next week, we’ll be bringing our revised climate action plan to Cabinet, which will set out the work we need to do together to end Hackney’s contribution to climate change.

Cllr Mete Coban MBE, Cabinet Member for Environment and Transport.

Re: Woman hit by HGV in Homerton High Street in hospital

<kosff2F5hpbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31401&group=uk.rec.cycling#31401

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 13 Oct 2023 09:03:31 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 09:03 UTC

Did someone mention virtue-signalling?

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> Cllr Mete Coban MBE, Cabinet Member for Environment and Transport
>
> We want to keep pushing at what’s possible in the fight against
> climate change, which is why we’ve brought forward part of our net zero
> target to 2030 so it takes into account the areas we control directly as a Council.

I expect that Cllr Mete Coban MBE, along with very many others, is unaware
of the logarithmic relationship between CO2 levels and changes in
temperature.

The relationship, advanced by Arrhenius and based on an empirical rather
than theoretical relationship found by Lambert, is not published by the
IPCC in documents intended for the general public or for decision-makers.
It is mentioned as a footnote in a hard-to-find paper intended for
academics.

People are therefore left to draw the conclusion that the relationship is
linear, whereas Arrhenius showed that the temperature increase is subject
to the law of diminishing returns. To obtain an increase of 1degC, CO2
levels need to double each time: 200 to 400ppm, then 400 to 800, then 800
to 1600. The latter number is similar to that used in greenhouses to grow
enhanced crops. At that level, the planet would be 3degC warmer and crops
would be lush, and hunger simply banished from the world. Apparently, we
must resist this laudable goal.

> But there’s more we’ve got to do to reach net zero as a borough by
> 2040 - and we can only do that in partnership with our residents,
> businesses, and other towns, cities and counties facing the same challenges.
>
> Next week, we’ll be bringing our revised climate action plan to
> Cabinet, which will set out the work we need to do together to end
> Hackney’s contribution to climate change.

--
Spike

Re: Woman hit by HGV in Homerton High Street in hospital

<d101961d-927f-435f-9b33-9d0de496616en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31402&group=uk.rec.cycling#31402

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 03:04:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 10:04 UTC

On Friday, October 13, 2023 at 8:39:12 AM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
> Cllr Mete Coban MBE, Cabinet Member for Environment and Transport
>
> We want to keep pushing at what’s possible in the fight against climate change, which is why we’ve brought forward part of our net zero target to 2030 so it takes into account the areas we control directly as a Council.
>
> But there’s more we’ve got to do to reach net zero as a borough by 2040 - and we can only do that in partnership with our residents, businesses, and other towns, cities and counties facing the same challenges.
>
> Next week, we’ll be bringing our revised climate action plan to Cabinet, which will set out the work we need to do together to end Hackney’s contribution to climate change.
>
> Cllr Mete Coban MBE, Cabinet Member for Environment and Transport.

Net zero is closer than you think.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F8T8SJJXkAAODXH?format=png&name=medium

Re: Woman hit by HGV in Homerton High Street in hospital

<kosmjaF6u47U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31407&group=uk.rec.cycling#31407

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 13 Oct 2023 11:05:14 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 11:05 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> Net zero is closer than you think.

Nut Zero is for, well, nuts.

> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F8T8SJJXkAAODXH?format=png&name=medium

I’ve been seeing similar graphs of apocalyptic doom since you were crapping
in your nappies.

The Maldives were forecast to be under water by 2015. That didn’t happen
either.

--
Spike

Re: Woman hit by HGV in Homerton High Street in hospital

<a9cd5935-796f-4b0c-9143-5c8a8de7434cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31410&group=uk.rec.cycling#31410

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 05:14:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 12:14 UTC

On Friday, October 13, 2023 at 11:04:27 AM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
> On Friday, October 13, 2023 at 8:39:12 AM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
> > Cllr Mete Coban MBE, Cabinet Member for Environment and Transport
> >
> > We want to keep pushing at what’s possible in the fight against climate change, which is why we’ve brought forward part of our net zero target to 2030 so it takes into account the areas we control directly as a Council.
> >
> > But there’s more we’ve got to do to reach net zero as a borough by 2040 - and we can only do that in partnership with our residents, businesses, and other towns, cities and counties facing the same challenges.
> >
> > Next week, we’ll be bringing our revised climate action plan to Cabinet, which will set out the work we need to do together to end Hackney’s contribution to climate change.
> >
> > Cllr Mete Coban MBE, Cabinet Member for Environment and Transport.
> Net zero is closer than you think.
>
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F8T8SJJXkAAODXH?format=png&name=medium

Some UKIP energy spokesperson actually asked "what are we going to do when the renewables run out"?

Stay away from sharp objects for a start. :-)

Re: Woman hit by HGV in Homerton High Street in hospital

<kosts9F8a17U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31416&group=uk.rec.cycling#31416

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 13 Oct 2023 13:09:29 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 13:09 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> Some UKIP energy spokesperson actually asked "what are we going to do
> when the renewables run out"?

What he means is ‘when the subsidies for the renewables run out’.

A glimpse of this occurred recently, when the government auction for new
offshore wind farms attracted zero bidders. The subsidies weren’t large
enough.

> Stay away from sharp objects for a start. :-)

You too, it that represents your level of awareness.

--
Spike

Re: Woman hit by HGV in Homerton High Street in hospital

<8f793b2c-4309-4a82-b923-38e06aeb4468n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31418&group=uk.rec.cycling#31418

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 07:34:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 14:34 UTC

On Friday, October 13, 2023 at 1:15:00 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
> On Friday, October 13, 2023 at 11:04:27 AM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
> > On Friday, October 13, 2023 at 8:39:12 AM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
> > > Cllr Mete Coban MBE, Cabinet Member for Environment and Transport
> > >
> > > We want to keep pushing at what’s possible in the fight against climate change, which is why we’ve brought forward part of our net zero target to 2030 so it takes into account the areas we control directly as a Council.
> > >
> > > But there’s more we’ve got to do to reach net zero as a borough by 2040 - and we can only do that in partnership with our residents, businesses, and other towns, cities and counties facing the same challenges.
> > >
> > > Next week, we’ll be bringing our revised climate action plan to Cabinet, which will set out the work we need to do together to end Hackney’s contribution to climate change.
> > >
> > > Cllr Mete Coban MBE, Cabinet Member for Environment and Transport.
> > Net zero is closer than you think.
> >
> > https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F8T8SJJXkAAODXH?format=png&name=medium
> Some UKIP energy spokesperson actually asked "what are we going to do when the renewables run out"?

QUOTE: Fossil fuels are non-renewable, this means that their supply is limited and they will eventually run out. Fossil fuels formed from the decomposition of plants and animals from millions of years ago this is why they are called fossil fuels. ENDS

HTH.

Re: Woman hit by HGV in Homerton High Street in hospital

<kot6l6Fa0e9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31421&group=uk.rec.cycling#31421

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 13 Oct 2023 15:39:18 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 15:39 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> QUOTE: Fossil fuels are non-renewable, this means that their supply is
> limited and they will eventually run out. Fossil fuels formed from the
> decomposition of plants and animals from millions of years ago this is
> why they are called fossil fuels. ENDS

> HTH.

Well, we’ve seen what happens when the wind-farm subsidies run out…no
bidders at all!

Who wants to sell electricity at 5p a unit, when you can get 15p in subsidy
PLUS sell your electricity at spot rates, currently another 15p, per unit?

Ever heard of the term ‘racket’?

Only a couple of days ago I heard some devotee saying ‘wind is the cheapest
source of electricity’. Can’t say I’ve seen it on my energy bills…but the
bunce will turn up in shareholder dividends…

--
Spike

Re: Woman hit by HGV in Homerton High Street in hospital

<kot6rfFa0g2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31423&group=uk.rec.cycling#31423

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 16:42:39 +0100
 by: JNugent - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 15:42 UTC

On 13/10/2023 03:34 pm, Simon Mason wrote:
> On Friday, October 13, 2023 at 1:15:00 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:

>>> Net zero is closer than you think.
>>>
>>> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F8T8SJJXkAAODXH?format=png&name=medium
>> Some UKIP energy spokesperson actually asked "what are we going to do when the renewables run out"?
>
> QUOTE: Fossil fuels are non-renewable, this means that their supply is limited and they will eventually run out. Fossil fuels formed from the decomposition of plants and animals from millions of years ago this is why they are called fossil fuels. ENDS
>
> HTH.

You DO know that they're not actually real fossils, don't you?