"It is easier to fight for principles than to live up to them." -- Alfred Adler

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: School run cycling mum assaulted by driver in front of her children

SubjectAuthor
* School run cycling mum assaulted by driver in front of her childrenSimon Mason
+- Re: School run cycling mum assaulted by driver in front ofSpike
+* Re: School run cycling mum assaulted by driver in front of her childrenSimon Mason
|`- Re: School run cycling mum assaulted by driver in front ofSpike
+* Re: School run cycling mum assaulted by driver in front of her childrenSimon Mason
|`- Re: School run cycling mum assaulted by driver in front ofSpike
`- Re: School run cycling mum assaulted by driver in front of her childrenSimon Mason

1
School run cycling mum assaulted by driver in front of her children

<3ee34764-d106-4692-9e5d-04fd7fca9a59n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31419&group=uk.rec.cycling#31419

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 07:38:46 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: School run cycling mum assaulted by driver in front of her children
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 14:38 UTC

A West Midlands woman who accompanies her children to school by bike has spoken on social media of the moment she was assaulted in front of them by a driver who was apparently frustrated that he had been unable to overtake them in his car.

Posting to X, the platform formerly known as Twitter, Nikki Dee copied in Adam Tranter, the West Midlands Active Travel Commissioner, as she wrote: “I got physically assaulted today whilst cycling to school with my 2 young children.

“The man assaulted me after telling my 2 children to go to school as his mom was going to get beat up.

“My kids are 8 and 9 and this was on the same road as the primary school,” she continued.

She added that the journey to school is around a mile in distance, and that the driver “wanted to get past even though there were parked cars everywhere ,so we had to ride further out and no opportunity for an overtake.

“Obviously driver is getting triggered by this and attacks me, tries to damage the bike.”

In reply, Tranter said: “Very sorry to hear this. Please let me know if I can be or any further assistance. Awful behaviour out there on our roads.”

She also received support from road safety campaigner Cycling Mikey, who offered his assistance.

We contacted Nikki, who said that she was unable to share the footage for now since she had sent it to West Midlands Police.

“I appreciate the work that you do to highlight what cyclists deal with because they are treated as second class citizens for riding a bike, and I watch your Near Miss of the Day,” she told us.

She also said that one of her sons had recently been the victim of a hit-and-run while riding home from school.

“It’s very sad that two children aren’t able to ride to school which is less than a mile without being involved in a hit and run, and now seeing their mother be assaulted just because someone thinks they have more rights than anyone because they’re in a car,” she added.

https://road.cc/content/news/school-run-bike-mum-assaulted-driver-front-children-304475

Re: School run cycling mum assaulted by driver in front of her children

<kot6bqF9uuaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31420&group=uk.rec.cycling#31420

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: School run cycling mum assaulted by driver in front of
her children
Date: 13 Oct 2023 15:34:19 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 15:34 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> A West Midlands woman who accompanies her children to school by bike has
> spoken on social media of the moment she was assaulted in front of them
> by a driver who was apparently frustrated that he had been unable to
> overtake them in his car.

> She also received support from road safety campaigner Cycling Mikey, who
> offered his assistance.

> https://road.cc/content/news/school-run-bike-mum-assaulted-driver-front-children-304475

Cycling Mikey offering assistance? He certainly knows how to put people on
the ground, he mentioned the action when confronted by someone who didn’t
defer to CM quickly enough (or at all, from what I recall of the video).

Not sure I’d want him on my side, that’s for sure.

--
Spike

Re: School run cycling mum assaulted by driver in front of her children

<ca2ae3cc-5723-4ca2-ae4b-bed14d63e9ddn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31424&group=uk.rec.cycling#31424

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 09:22:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 16:22 UTC

I live in a very small town with a single primary school. Once a week I'd take my 8yo to school on a tagalong, it was less than a mile. Got cut up and abused by a Mum of a kid IN HIS CLASS because I was riding centrally between parked cars. This was a kid he played with at break time and had even been round his house with a mutual friend. The language would have curled the toes of a miner. Audi Qx driver of course.
============================What is it about the people who drive those cars…? They all seem to be nut bags

Re: School run cycling mum assaulted by driver in front of her children

<kotsmtFe89lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31426&group=uk.rec.cycling#31426

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
her children
Date: 13 Oct 2023 21:55:41 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 21:55 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> I live in a very small town with a single primary school. Once a week I'd
> take my 8yo to school on a tagalong, it was less than a mile. Got cut up
> and abused by a Mum of a kid IN HIS CLASS because I was riding centrally
> between parked cars. This was a kid he played with at break time and had
> even been round his house with a mutual friend. The language would have
> curled the toes of a miner. Audi Qx driver of course.

> ============================

What is it about the people who drive those cars&? They all seem to be nut
bags

Only according to the lunatic fringe of the cycling world.

Remember, 95% of cyclists give the rest a bad name.

--
Spike

Re: School run cycling mum assaulted by driver in front of her children

<5ff4e272-ed53-4124-a6c5-6d39eb8b10c3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31427&group=uk.rec.cycling#31427

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 00:49:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 07:49 UTC

mctrials23 | 16 hours ago
10 likes
Hopefully the utter scumbag who did this will find themselves banned from driving for a while and if we're really lucky they will get some jail time.

Hope he feels like a big man beating up a women and scaring children.

Re: School run cycling mum assaulted by driver in front of her children

<kov1apFkp37U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31430&group=uk.rec.cycling#31430

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
her children
Date: 14 Oct 2023 08:20:41 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 08:20 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> mctrials23 | 16 hours ago
> 10 likes

> Hopefully the utter scumbag who did this will find themselves banned from
> driving for a while and if we're really lucky they will get some jail time.

Prisons are overflowing and we can’t even sentence people having been found
guilty of violent crimes such as rape, yet you want people who might have
committed minor crime to be sentenced to jail.

The problem has arisen in part due to longer sentences, people who should
not have been sentenced to jail, and the numbers of remand prisoners.

> Hope he feels like a big man beating up a women and scaring children.

Keep in mind here the video of the cyclist kicking a little girl to the
ground, or the one that stepped out of her front garden only to be knocked
down by a pavement cyclist and dragged screaming along the path.

Note that the report of the incident posted here doesn’t mention whether
battery actually took place.

--
Spike

Re: School run cycling mum assaulted by driver in front of her children

<47df6f00-5a34-44ed-b361-1139678706ccn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31431&group=uk.rec.cycling#31431

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 03:28:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 10:28 UTC

eburtthebike | 3 hours ago
1 like

Is this a reflection of the government's Plan for Drivers? Is it my imagination but has this emboldened drivers, and this endorsement of their right to the road to the exclusion of everyone else made them even more aggressive?

Don't forget the rise of the Wankpanzer.
Substitute for a big dick, as driven by them.