enhance, v.: To tamper with an image, usually to its detriment.

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Re: 6-32 counter sunk screws for disc caddy

SubjectAuthor
* 6-32 counter sunk screws for disc caddyDave R
+- Re: 6-32 counter sunk screws for disc caddyA Nonymouse
+* Re: 6-32 counter sunk screws for disc caddyAdrian Caspersz
|`- Re: 6-32 counter sunk screws for disc caddyA Nonymouse
`- Re: 6-32 counter sunk screws for disc caddyGordon

1
6-32 counter sunk screws for disc caddy

<k7ra60Fu08U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3144&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3144

From: wib...@btinternet.com (Dave R)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: 6-32 counter sunk screws for disc caddy
Date: 20 Mar 2023 14:50:40 GMT
 by: Dave R - Mon, 20 Mar 2023 14:50 UTC

Having managed to remove the stuck screw, I found a replacement in my
screw stash but it was shorter than the original with a smaller diameter
head.

I have my WD Red 2 GB discs to eventually mount but the mounting screws (I
just checked) are not countersunk.

Searching on line I understand that the side mounting screws on 3.5" HDDs
are 6-32 UNC.

I can find 6-32 countersunk screws on line but they look to be the smaller
type I already have.

If I search for screws for the Proliant caddy I get offered the caddy, not
the screws.

Anyone have a good source of screws?

Also, the ones I found on Amazon are listed as 5 mm long.
The screw I have finally extracted measures 7 mm from the flat top to the
end of the thread.
Is the measurement the thread length or the total length?

Cheers

Dave R

--
On the Acer All-In-One

Re: 6-32 counter sunk screws for disc caddy

<k7rav7F1a90U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3145&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3145

From: red....@ntlworld.com (A Nonymouse)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: 6-32 counter sunk screws for disc caddy
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 15:04:07 +0000
 by: A Nonymouse - Mon, 20 Mar 2023 15:04 UTC

On 20/03/2023 14:50, Dave R wrote:
> Having managed to remove the stuck screw, I found a replacement in my
> screw stash but it was shorter than the original with a smaller diameter
> head.
>
> I have my WD Red 2 GB discs to eventually mount but the mounting screws (I
> just checked) are not countersunk.
>
> Searching on line I understand that the side mounting screws on 3.5" HDDs
> are 6-32 UNC.
>
> I can find 6-32 countersunk screws on line but they look to be the smaller
> type I already have.
>
> If I search for screws for the Proliant caddy I get offered the caddy, not
> the screws.
>
> Anyone have a good source of screws?
>
> Also, the ones I found on Amazon are listed as 5 mm long.
> The screw I have finally extracted measures 7 mm from the flat top to the
> end of the thread.
> Is the measurement the thread length or the total length?

<https://www.amazon.co.uk/sourcing-Computer-3-5-inch-Phillips-100pcs/dp/B01MSKSTED/>

Apparently I purchased these in June 2020 so they are probably the bag
of screws I have just found.

What is now bugging me is that the picture doesn't seem to be of the
fine UNC thread I am looking for.

<https://www.amazon.co.uk/sourcing-Computer-3-5-inch-Phillips-100pcs/dp/B01MSKSTED/>

These (1/4" seems to match the length) look more like it but delivery is
April 6-18th which is just under a month if they hit the pessimistic
date. Shown as in stock, though!

Search continues.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: 6-32 counter sunk screws for disc caddy

<k7rtvtF4gqfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3148&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3148

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 20:28:44 +0000
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Mon, 20 Mar 2023 20:28 UTC

On 20/03/2023 14:50, Dave R wrote:
> Having managed to remove the stuck screw, I found a replacement in my
> screw stash but it was shorter than the original with a smaller diameter
> head.

It has already been mentioned, but don't know if you've looked?

HP Proliant servers have a tradition of having rows of spare screws
purposely screwed into the metalwork?

--
Adrian C

Re: 6-32 counter sunk screws for disc caddy

<k7tsuuFdolnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3149&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3149

From: red....@ntlworld.com (A Nonymouse)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 14:23:26 +0000
 by: A Nonymouse - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 14:23 UTC

On 20/03/2023 20:28, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
> On 20/03/2023 14:50, Dave R wrote:
>> Having managed to remove the stuck screw, I found a replacement in my
>> screw stash but it was shorter than the original with a smaller diameter
>> head.
>
> It has already been mentioned, but don't know if you've looked?
>
> HP Proliant servers have a tradition of having rows of spare screws
> purposely screwed into the metalwork?

Thanks.

There are some interesting black screws in a row at the front of the
case next to a row of empty holes.
However they aren't HDD side mounting screws.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: 6-32 counter sunk screws for disc caddy

<k89g9jF75bhU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3161&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3161

From: Gor...@leaf.net.nz (Gordon)