A man may be so much of everything that he is nothing of anything. -- Samuel Johnson

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Driver jailed for 10 years after killing ‘cher ished’ 19-year-old

SubjectAuthor
* Driver jailed for 10 years after killing ‘cherisheSimon Mason
+- Re: Driver jailed for 10 years after killing ‘cJNugent
+* Re: Driver jailed for 10 years after killing ‘cherSimon Mason
|+* Re: Driver jailed for 10 yearsSpike
||`* Re: Driver jailed for 10 years after killing ‘cJNugent
|| `* Re: Driver jailed for 10 yearsSpike
||  `- Re: Driver jailed for 10 years after killing ‘cJNugent
|`* Re: Driver jailed for 10 years after killing ‘cherSimon Mason
| `- Re: Driver jailed for 10 yearsSpike
+- Re: Driver jailed for 10 yearsSpike
`* Re: Driver jailed for 10 years after killing ‘cherSimon Mason
 +- Re: Driver jailed for 10 years after killing ‘cJNugent
 +- Re: Driver jailed for 10 yearsSpike
 `- Re: Driver jailed for 10 years after killing ‘cherSimon Mason

1
Driver jailed for 10 years after killing ‘cherished’ 19-year-old

<5c737da0-6c47-4de7-816b-abd87bbb46d0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31722&group=uk.rec.cycling#31722

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 09:25:25 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Driver_jailed_for_10_years_after_killing_‘cherishe
d’_19-year-old
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 16:25 UTC

A 28-year-old man has been jailed for 10 years after killing a 19-year-old girl in a collision in Bridgwater.

Luke Hawkes, of Wadham Close, Bridgwater, was sentenced at Taunton Crown Court today after pleading guilty to causing death by dangerous driving and failing to provide a specimen.

Hawkes’ sentence is among the first to take place under new sentencing guidelines which allows judges to give tougher sentences for dangerous and careless driving deaths, moving the maximum term from 14 years to life imprisonment for dangerous driving.

Hawkes was handed the sentence after killing 19-year-old Bethany Branson on Tuesday 8 November last year.

He has also been handed a driving disqualification for 12 years and seven months.

He had been driving a white Ford Transit van at high speed down the A38 Taunton Road when he drove through a red light and collided with two cars which had the right-of-way at a junction.

Bethany had been the passenger in the first car Hawkes collided with. She was sadly pronounced dead at the scene.

The court heard how Hawkes showed no remorse for his actions to officers at the scene, refusing to complete a breathalyser or swab test for drugs and alcohol at the roadside.

He was recorded on body warn video saying: “I hope I killed someone.. Oh well, you know what, I will get three, four, five years. Hopefully I killed them.”

Hawkes had previously been involved in a minor road traffic collision further up the A38 Taunton Road, near the Showground Roundabout, prior to the collision which killed Bethany.

He then left the scene towards Bridgwater, where he was then involved in the fatal collision.

A further three people, including Hawkes, sustained minor injuries.
19-year-old Bethany Branson has been remembered as a ‘beautiful’ young lady.

Senior investigating officer, Andrew Roebuck, and family liaison officer, Martin Farnell, said: “The family have shown exceptional courage and bravery in speaking so openly about Bethany, who is very clearly loved and cherished by all those who knew her.

“Bethany was a bubbly and outgoing young lady who had her entire life ahead of her, who dreamed of a career with animals and had a passion for rugby.

“We hope that this significant sentence for Hawkes gives the family some closure following the devastating loss of their daughter, sister, granddaughter, niece, cousin, goddaughter and friend.”

His Honour Judge Paul Cook said: “You can tell this was a prolonged, consistent and deliberate course of driving. it was obvious that you were drunk as I have seen the state of your intoxication on a number of videos.

“It was very clear that Bethany was a bubbly and infectious person, destined for a life of giving which has shattered the hearts of the family..

“You created a sea of carnage and then left. You were then heard saying ‘I’m glad she is dead, she deserved it’ and ‘Hopefully [you] killed someone’.”

https://www.avonandsomerset.police.uk/news/2023/01/driver-jailed-for-10-years-after-killing-cherished-19-year-old/

Re: Driver jailed for 10 years after killing ‘cherished’ 19-year-old

<kpid2eFhr5fU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31725&group=uk.rec.cycling#31725

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_Driver_jailed_for_10_years_after_killing_‘c
herished’_19-year-old
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 17:37:35 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 16:37 UTC

On 21/10/2023 05:25 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> [...]
>
> “Bethany was a bubbly and outgoing young lady who had her entire life ahead of her, who dreamed of a career with animals and had a passion for rugby.
>
> “We hope that this significant sentence for Hawkes gives the family some closure following the devastating loss of their daughter, sister, granddaughter, niece, cousin, goddaughter and friend.”
>
> His Honour Judge Paul Cook said: “You can tell this was a prolonged, consistent and deliberate course of driving. it was obvious that you were drunk as I have seen the state of your intoxication on a number of videos.
>
> “It was very clear that Bethany was a bubbly and infectious person, destined for a life of giving which has shattered the hearts of the family.
>
> “You created a sea of carnage and then left. You were then heard saying ‘I’m glad she is dead, she deserved it’ and ‘Hopefully [you] killed someone’.”

She wasn't the first "‘beautiful’ young lady" to be mown down and killed
by a sociopath, was she?

Re: Driver jailed for 10 years after killing ‘cherished’ 19-year-old

<52a3e77e-42f6-4144-8257-b9246bc0ad7en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31727&group=uk.rec.cycling#31727

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 10:11:31 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_Driver_jailed_for_10_years_after_killing_‘cher
ished’_19-year-old
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 17:11 UTC

QUOTE: Hawkes’ sentence is among the first to take place under new sentencing guidelines which allows judges to give tougher sentences for dangerous and careless driving deaths, moving the maximum term from 14 years to life imprisonment for dangerous driving.ENDS

I posted another case last week where the original 14 year jail term was increased to 15 years on appeal.
Nice to see judges using their new powers.

Re: Driver jailed for 10 years after killing ‘cherishe d’ 19-year-old

<kpk33rFr5ecU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31732&group=uk.rec.cycling#31732

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Driver jailed for 10 years
after killing ‘cherishe d’
19-year-old
Date: 22 Oct 2023 07:59:55 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 07:59 UTC

Old news: Posted on 27 January 2023

--
Spike

Re: Driver jailed for 10 years after killing ‘cher ished’ 19-year-old

<kpk33rFr5ecU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31733&group=uk.rec.cycling#31733

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
after killing ‘cher ished’
19-year-old
Date: 22 Oct 2023 07:59:55 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 07:59 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> QUOTE: Hawkes’ sentence is among the first to take place under new
> sentencing guidelines which allows judges to give tougher sentences for
> dangerous and careless driving deaths, moving the maximum term from 14
> years to life imprisonment for dangerous driving.ENDS
>
> I posted another case last week where the original 14 year jail term was
> increased to 15 years on appeal.
> Nice to see judges using their new powers.

Apart from imparting a warm glow of petty vindictiveness, what real
difference will the extra year mean to anyone?

--
Spike

Re: Driver jailed for 10 years after killing ‘cherished’ 19-year-old

<10a46199-593f-47c0-8983-4dfdf54266ecn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31745&group=uk.rec.cycling#31745

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 03:37:06 -0700 (PDT)
ished’_19-year-old
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 10:37 UTC

On Saturday, October 21, 2023 at 6:11:33 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
> QUOTE: Hawkes’ sentence is among the first to take place under new sentencing guidelines which allows judges to give tougher sentences for dangerous and careless driving deaths, moving the maximum term from 14 years to life imprisonment for dangerous driving.ENDS
>
> I posted another case last week where the original 14 year jail term was increased to 15 years on appeal.
> Nice to see judges using their new powers.

Pity they only get 15 years instead of a proper life term though.

Re: Driver jailed for 10 years after killing ‘cher ished’ 19-year-old

<kpkk70Fu889U6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31753&group=uk.rec.cycling#31753

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
after killing ‘cher ished’
19-year-old
Date: 22 Oct 2023 12:51:44 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 12:51 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, October 21, 2023 at 6:11:33 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
>> QUOTE: Hawkes’ sentence is among the first to take place under new
>> sentencing guidelines which allows judges to give tougher sentences for
>> dangerous and careless driving deaths, moving the maximum term from 14
>> years to life imprisonment for dangerous driving.ENDS
>>
>> I posted another case last week where the original 14 year jail term was
>> increased to 15 years on appeal.
>> Nice to see judges using their new powers.

> Pity they only get 15 years instead of a proper life term though.

And the difference would bring what, exactly, to the interested parties?
Apart from the warm glow imparted by petty vindictiveness?

--
Spike

Re: Driver jailed for 10 years after killing ‘cher ished’ 19-year-old

<kpkpufFlnsU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31758&group=uk.rec.cycling#31758

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
her_ished’_19-year-old
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 15:29:35 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 14:29 UTC

On 22/10/2023 08:59 am, Spike wrote:

> Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

>> QUOTE: Hawkes’ sentence is among the first to take place under new
>> sentencing guidelines which allows judges to give tougher sentences for
>> dangerous and careless driving deaths, moving the maximum term from 14
>> years to life imprisonment for dangerous driving.ENDS
>
>> I posted another case last week where the original 14 year jail term was
>> increased to 15 years on appeal.
>> Nice to see judges using their new powers.
>
> Apart from imparting a warm glow of petty vindictiveness, what real
> difference will the extra year mean to anyone?

At a guess, the post-verdict appellant (presumably CPS) expected the
sentence to be increased by more than that.

Re: Driver jailed for 10 years after killing ‘cher ished’ 19-year-old

<kpkq6hFospU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31760&group=uk.rec.cycling#31760

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
after killing ‘cher ished’
19-year-old
Date: 22 Oct 2023 14:33:53 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 14:33 UTC

JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
> On 22/10/2023 08:59 am, Spike wrote:
>
>> Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> QUOTE: Hawkes’ sentence is among the first to take place under new
>>> sentencing guidelines which allows judges to give tougher sentences for
>>> dangerous and careless driving deaths, moving the maximum term from 14
>>> years to life imprisonment for dangerous driving.ENDS
>>
>>> I posted another case last week where the original 14 year jail term was
>>> increased to 15 years on appeal.
>>> Nice to see judges using their new powers.
>>
>> Apart from imparting a warm glow of petty vindictiveness, what real
>> difference will the extra year mean to anyone?
>
> At a guess, the post-verdict appellant (presumably CPS) expected the
> sentence to be increased by more than that.

Ah…so the minuscule increase was really a snub to the (presumably) CPS, and
probably little to do with punishment of the offender?

--
Spike

Re: Driver jailed for 10 years after killing ‘cher ished’ 19-year-old

<kpkqn7FqtcU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31763&group=uk.rec.cycling#31763

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
her_ished’_19-year-old
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 15:42:46 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 14:42 UTC

On 22/10/2023 03:33 pm, Spike wrote:

> JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:

>>> Apart from imparting a warm glow of petty vindictiveness, what real
>>> difference will the extra year mean to anyone?
>
>> At a guess, the post-verdict appellant (presumably CPS) expected the
>> sentence to be increased by more than that.
>
> Ah…so the minuscule increase was really a snub to the (presumably) CPS, and
> probably little to do with punishment of the offender?

I dare say that that is how the appellant may well have perceived it.

Re: Driver jailed for 10 years after killing ‘cherished’ 19-year-old

<3360bf65-9868-48cc-9d86-e4c6c4b18c1bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31773&group=uk.rec.cycling#31773

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 08:09:41 -0700 (PDT)
ished’_19-year-old
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 15:09 UTC

QUOTE: He had been driving a white Ford Transit van at high speed down the A38 Taunton Road when he drove through a red light and collided with two cars which had the right-of-way at a junction. ENDS

Doesn't say how much jail time was due to the RLJ - did they add it on to the life sentence?

Re: Driver jailed for 10 years after killing ‘cherished’ 19-year-old

<kpkussF1gbdU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31785&group=uk.rec.cycling#31785

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
herished’_19-year-old
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 16:54:04 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 15:54 UTC

On 22/10/2023 04:09 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> QUOTE: He had been driving a white Ford Transit van at high speed down the A38 Taunton Road when he drove through a red light and collided with two cars which had the right-of-way at a junction. ENDS

That's odd. Last week, you praised a chav-cyclist who was involved in a
TA while passing through a traffic light junction which was red for him.

Do you make it all up as you go along?

Re: Driver jailed for 10 years after killing ‘cher ished’ 19-year-old

<kpkv0gF1jjqU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31789&group=uk.rec.cycling#31789

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
after killing ‘cher ished’
19-year-old
Date: 22 Oct 2023 15:56:00 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 15:56 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> QUOTE: He had been driving a white Ford Transit van at high speed down
> the A38 Taunton Road when he drove through a red light and collided with
> two cars which had the right-of-way at a junction. ENDS

> Doesn't say how much jail time was due to the RLJ - did they add it on to
> the life sentence?

Why not ask a cyclist about the RLJ?

--
Spike

Re: Driver jailed for 10 years after killing ‘cherished’ 19-year-old

<036ed42c-9f2d-40f2-90e8-74d15bdc9ddfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31804&group=uk.rec.cycling#31804

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 10:48:54 -0700 (PDT)
ished’_19-year-old
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 17:48 UTC

On Sunday, October 22, 2023 at 4:09:43 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
> QUOTE: He had been driving a white Ford Transit van at high speed down the A38 Taunton Road when he drove through a red light and collided with two cars which had the right-of-way at a junction. ENDS
>
> Doesn't say how much jail time was due to the RLJ - did they add it on to the life sentence?

Must have - he got life. QED.