Events are not affected, they develop. -- Sri Aurobindo

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Keighley drug driver is jailed over crash that killed boy, 9

SubjectAuthor
* Keighley drug driver is jailed over crash that killed boy, 9Simon Mason
+* Re: Keighley drug driver is jailed over crash that killed boy, 9Spike
|`- Re: Keighley drug driver is jailed over crash that killed boy, 9JNugent
+* Re: Keighley drug driver is jailed over crash that killed boy, 9Simon Mason
|+- Re: Keighley drug driver is jailed over crash that killed boy, 9JNugent
|`* Re: Keighley drug driver is jailed over crash that killed boy, 9Simon Mason
| +- Re: Keighley drug driver is jailed over crash that killed boy, 9Spike
| `* Re: Keighley drug driver is jailed over crash that killed boy, 9Simon Mason
|  `- Re: Keighley drug driver is jailed over crash that killed boy, 9Spike
+* Re: Keighley drug driver is jailed over crash that killed boy, 9Simon Mason
|+- Re: Keighley drug driver is jailed over crash that killed boy, 9JNugent
|`- Re: Keighley drug driver is jailed over crash that killed boy, 9Spike
+* Re: Keighley drug driver is jailed over crash that killed boy, 9Simon Mason
|`- Re: Keighley drug driver is jailed over crash that killed boy, 9Spike
+* Re: Keighley drug driver is jailed over crash that killed boy, 9Simon Mason
|`- Re: Keighley drug driver is jailed over crash that killed boy, 9Spike
`- Re: Keighley drug driver is jailed over crash that killed boy, 9Simon Mason

1
Keighley drug driver is jailed over crash that killed boy, 9

<336156fa-3dca-4c22-b301-c3bd3f8e0562n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31778&group=uk.rec.cycling#31778

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 08:29:02 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Keighley drug driver is jailed over crash that killed boy, 9
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 15:29 UTC

A VAN driver who had smoked crack cocaine before crashing into a nine-year-old boy and killing him on a country lane has been jailed for eight years.

Luke Widdop, 51, of Keighley, did not stop at the scene in Sutton-in-Craven, leaving George Lewis fatally injured after he was thrown from the road and into a field.

His father Michael Lewis and another child, who cannot be identified by the media, were also injured in the collision which happened when they were walking on the road at around 9pm on September 17, 2021.

Bradford Crown Court heard that dairy worker Widdop, who has a criminal record of more than 50 offences dating back to 1989, had smoked crack cocaine at some point before driving home in a work van.

Traces of heroin were also found in his system after his arrest.

Widdop – who the court heard had used heroin for 30 years – was speeding at around 50mph, where the limit was 30mph, and later told police he was “tired” after being at work, and just wanted to “put his feet up”, the court heard.

Mr Lewis was leading the two children and had illuminated his mobile phone torch to see the way and to warn oncoming drivers, the court heard.

When he realised a vehicle was coming towards them, he urged the youngsters to come in closer to a stone wall on the lane, which had no pavement.

Judge Jonathan Rose, sentencing, said: “Sadly, that was not enough to save them.

“You struck each of them in turn.”

George died from multiple injuries at the scene.

His father was also injured, including suffering a broken hand, while the other child was admitted to hospital with cuts and bruises.

Widdop drove home but handed himself into police soon after, telling officers he had drunk two cans of beer after the collision.

He claimed not to have realised he had hit three people but surrendered after seeing damage to the van and a police helicopter in the sky.

A mouth swab revealed he had taken cocaine, and further tests revealed he had also used heroin although the timing and amount could not be determined.

Widdop previously admitted causing death by careless driving while unfit through drugs at his first appearance at magistrates’ court.

A victim statement on behalf of Mr Lewis described his son as a clever, happy boy who had enjoyed learning.

His love of dinosaurs gave him ambitions of becoming a palaeontologist, his father said.

Katherine Robinson, prosecuting, read a statement from the boy’s paternal grandmother, whose name was not given in court, which said: “Grief is such a small word for such a huge amount of pain.

“We loved him so much.”

John Bottomley, defending, said: “The victim’s death will be on his conscience for the rest of his life.”

In sentencing Judge Rose described George as a youngster who was gifted and could have made a success of anything he chose to do in life.

Addressing the defendant, he said that through his careless driving and drug taking: “You took away such future as he had.”

He added: “It is quite clear from your previous court appearances and your offending, including speeding and driving while under the influence, have taught you nothing about the dangers you pose to other road users and pedestrians.”

He jailed him for eight years and banned him from driving for an extended period once he was released.

After sentencing, Judge Rose addressed George’s family in court and said that although he did not know the little boy, hearing about him had had a “very powerful impact” on him.

Detective Constable Mark Turner, of the Major Collision Enquiry Team, said: “The reckless actions of Widdop took away any future for George who was just walking home with his family.

“We have continued to support the family throughout this long investigation, and I hope today can bring them some closure and sense of justice, in what has been an extremely difficult few years for them.

“I hope today’s sentence also sends a clear message to anyone who thinks they can get behind the wheel whilst unfit through drink or drugs.”

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/23867132.keighley-drug-driver-jailed-crash-killed-boy-9/

Re: Keighley drug driver is jailed over crash that killed boy, 9

<kpkv0hF1jjqU9@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31795&group=uk.rec.cycling#31795

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 22 Oct 2023 15:56:01 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 15:56 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> A VAN driver who had smoked crack cocaine before crashing into a
> nine-year-old boy and killing him on a country lane has been jailed for eight years.

> “I hope today’s sentence also sends a clear message to anyone who thinks
> they can get behind the wheel whilst unfit through drink or drugs.”

How are all the previous ‘send a message’ sentences working out?

--
Spike

Re: Keighley drug driver is jailed over crash that killed boy, 9

<kpl1vnF24agU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31796&group=uk.rec.cycling#31796

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 17:46:47 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 16:46 UTC

On 22/10/2023 04:56 pm, Spike wrote:

> Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> A VAN driver who had smoked crack cocaine before crashing into a
>> nine-year-old boy and killing him on a country lane has been jailed for eight years.
>
>> “I hope today’s sentence also sends a clear message to anyone who thinks
>> they can get behind the wheel whilst unfit through drink or drugs.”
>
> How are all the previous ‘send a message’ sentences working out?
>
>> https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/23867132.keighley-drug-driver-jailed-crash-killed-boy-9/

TCCB.

Re: Keighley drug driver is jailed over crash that killed boy, 9

<89e5061b-4776-4a1a-8d8c-52b48a16911an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31807&group=uk.rec.cycling#31807

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 10:52:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 17:52 UTC

QUOTE: A VAN driver who had smoked crack cocaine before crashing into a nine-year-old boy and killing him on a country lane has been jailed for eight years. ENDS

What does it take to get life, FFS?

Re: Keighley drug driver is jailed over crash that killed boy, 9

<kplrb3F66vfU7@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31822&group=uk.rec.cycling#31822

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 00:59:31 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 23:59 UTC

On 22/10/2023 06:52 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> QUOTE: A VAN driver who had smoked crack cocaine before crashing into a nine-year-old boy and killing him on a country lane has been jailed for eight years. ENDS

> What does it take to get life, FFS?

Commission of a crime which carries life imprisonment as the penalty.

That ought to do it.

Are you thinking of committing one?

Re: Keighley drug driver is jailed over crash that killed boy, 9

<7e4a9715-d703-42dc-98b6-b2568773c2bfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31827&group=uk.rec.cycling#31827

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 00:08:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 07:08 UTC

QUOTE: Bradford Crown Court heard that dairy worker Widdop, who has a criminal record of more than 50 offences dating back to 1989, had smoked crack cocaine at some point before driving home in a work van. ENDS

What the hell were these "50 offences"? The mind boggles.

Re: Keighley drug driver is jailed over crash that killed boy, 9

<kpn555Fd0svU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31834&group=uk.rec.cycling#31834

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 12:53:10 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 11:53 UTC

On 23/10/2023 08:08 am, Simon Mason wrote:

> QUOTE: Bradford Crown Court heard that dairy worker Widdop, who has a criminal record of more than 50 offences dating back to 1989, had smoked crack cocaine at some point before driving home in a work van. ENDS
>
> What the hell were these "50 offences"? The mind boggles.

No-one here is likely to be able to give you that information.

Have you thought of asking the CRB or your brother judge presiding, M'Lud?

Re: Keighley drug driver is jailed over crash that killed boy, 9

<186f71d5-9102-4621-8617-fe1770d366c0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31837&group=uk.rec.cycling#31837

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 05:28:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 12:28 UTC

A nine-year-old boy died as he walked home from cricket training with his father and brother when the family were hit by a van driver who had taken cocaine on a country road.
George Lewis was thrown over a wall and into a field by the impact of the works vehicle driven by Luke Widdop, 51, as he drove home from a shift at Dales Dairies in Grassington to Keighley in September 2021.

The boy died at the scene, while his father Michael and eight-year-old brother were left with cuts and bruises on Sutton Lane, near Sutton-in-Craven.

Widdop did not stop, later claiming he thought he had struck a tree or an overhanging branch, and drank two cans of lager at his flat before noticing the significant damage to his van and a police helicopter overhead. He handed himself in at his local police station later the same night.

Widdop, a recovering heroin addict with numerous previous convictions, appeared at Bradford Crown Court for sentence on Thursday after pleading guilty to causing George’s death by careless driving while unfit through drugs, and Judge Jonathan Rose jailed him for eight years.

Drugs testing revealed the presence of cocaine, cannabis and diazepam in Widdop’s blood, and though he admitted taking crack cocaine the previous day, expert analysis found that the ingestion was likely to have been much more recent.

The court heard that after they had been to The Black Bull pub, Michael Lewis and his sons set off to walk home along Sutton Lane, which has no footpath, to Glusburn. They were facing oncoming traffic, with Michael leading and using his mobile phone’s torch function. They were mostly using the verge, but had to step out into the carriageway when they encountered a large patch of nettles.

Widdop told police ‘who walks their kids on a dark road?’ and claimed he had not been driving fast on the 30mph stretch, but his average speed was later established at 53mph.

A police reconstruction of the collision found no defects to the road, that there were signs warning of pedestrians in the carriageway and no restrictions to a driver’s view.

A victim impact statement from Michael Lewis was read to the court. Mr Lewis, a keen rugby player for Keighley RUFC, had to quit his job in construction due to the broken hand he suffered in the crash, but found an office-based role unsuitable and has since returned to his previous employment, which has become more difficult because of his injury.

Poignantly, neither Mr Lewis nor his parents have seen George’s younger brother since his death, due to a breakdown in the relationship with the boys’ mother. Mr Lewis’s mother said that the family had ‘fallen apart’ since losing George, one of her eight grandchildren, and that she and her husband felt they had lost two grandsons.

Both spoke of George’s intelligence and thirst for knowledge. The Glusburn Primary School pupil was ‘mad about dinosaurs’ and wanted to be a paleontologist.

The court was told that Widdop has over 50 criminal convictions dating back to 1989, including one for drink driving in 2010 and others for driving while disqualified and speeding offences. He had six points on his driving licence for speeding at the time of the collision.

Defending, John Bottomley KC said that Widdop took full responsibility for the tragedy and was determined to learn a trade while in prison. He had offered to take part in restorative justice with the Lewis family, and had requested to be taken into custody ahead of the court case after his property was attacked by vigilantes.

It was confirmed that he had not been charged by West Yorkshire Police until July 2023, and the delay of almost two years in the case coming to court was explained by a large volume of similar collision investigations being dealt with by the force.

Sentencing, Judge Rose said: “George could have led a happy and successful life had it not been for you. You took away his future. His family lost George and all that he could have been.

"You have spent much of your life committing criminal offences. It’s quite apparent that your previous sentences have taught you nothing. You were speeding, you ignored warning signs, and though Michael Lewis heard your rapid approach and urged his boys to move closer to the wall, that was not enough to save them. You struck them all.

"I find your explanation implausible and your mitigation is limited. You struck three human beings.”

Widdop was also disqualified from driving for 11 years and must take an extended re-test.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/crime/george-lewis-drug-driver-jailed-for-killing-dinosaur-mad-boy-nine-on-yorkshire-road-as-he-walked-home-from-cricket-training-with-his-father-and-brother-4378274

Re: Keighley drug driver is jailed over crash that killed boy, 9

<kpo7v0Fj7f8U8@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31860&group=uk.rec.cycling#31860

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 23 Oct 2023 21:47:12 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 21:47 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> A nine-year-old boy died as he walked home from cricket training with his
> father and brother when the family were hit by a van driver who had taken
> cocaine on a country road.

Slightly puzzled by the “…who had taken cocaine on a country road”.

Does it mean he snorted it from the road surface? Or while driving on a
country road? If the latter, was he stationary or moving at the time?

It’s all very unclear.

> https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/crime/george-lewis-drug-driver-jailed-for-killing-dinosaur-mad-boy-nine-on-yorkshire-road-as-he-walked-home-from-cricket-training-with-his-father-and-brother-4378274

--
Spike

Re: Keighley drug driver is jailed over crash that killed boy, 9

<kpo7uvFj7f8U4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31861&group=uk.rec.cycling#31861

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 23 Oct 2023 21:47:11 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 21:47 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> QUOTE: Bradford Crown Court heard that dairy worker Widdop, who has a
> criminal record of more than 50 offences dating back to 1989, had smoked
> crack cocaine at some point before driving home in a work van. ENDS

> What the hell were these "50 offences"? The mind boggles.

Parking on the pavement? RLJing? Pedestrian crossing offences? Wrong way in
a one-way?

They could come from a host of offences committed by cyclists as mere TCCB
routine.

--
Spike

Re: Keighley drug driver is jailed over crash that killed boy, 9

<1df63fdc-c0ff-464f-97e8-f5227cf40e95n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31873&group=uk.rec.cycling#31873

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 00:16:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 07:16 UTC

QUOTE: Widdop did not stop, later claiming he thought he had struck a tree or an overhanging branch. ENDS

Was the boy he killed 20 feet high?

Re: Keighley drug driver is jailed over crash that killed boy, 9

<kppme2Frd59U7@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31906&group=uk.rec.cycling#31906

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 24 Oct 2023 11:00:18 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 11:00 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> QUOTE: Widdop did not stop, later claiming he thought he had struck a
> tree or an overhanging branch. ENDS
>
> Was the boy he killed 20 feet high?

What?

--
Spike

Re: Keighley drug driver is jailed over crash that killed boy, 9

<23029ffc-2021-4308-a6bb-3205540b1285n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31918&group=uk.rec.cycling#31918

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 05:01:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 12:01 UTC

QUOTE: A VAN driver who had smoked crack cocaine before crashing into a nine-year-old boy and killing him on a country lane has been jailed for eight years. ENDS

You are allowed 15 years with this year's new rules.

Re: Keighley drug driver is jailed over crash that killed boy, 9

<kppq3uFs3fkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31922&group=uk.rec.cycling#31922

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 24 Oct 2023 12:03:11 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 12:03 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> QUOTE: A VAN driver who had smoked crack cocaine before crashing into a
> nine-year-old boy and killing him on a country lane has been jailed for eight years. ENDS
>
> You are allowed 15 years with this year's new rules.

Who is?

--
Spike

Re: Keighley drug driver is jailed over crash that killed boy, 9

<9c92be36-54c8-4ed5-aed5-00f4f305e0d4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31930&group=uk.rec.cycling#31930

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 05:12:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 12:12 UTC

QUOTE: Luke Widdop, 51, of Keighley, did not stop at the scene in Sutton-in-Craven, leaving George Lewis fatally injured after he was thrown from the road and into a field. ENDS

Extra time for doing a runner, I hope.

Re: Keighley drug driver is jailed over crash that killed boy, 9

<kpq1epFtedcU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31946&group=uk.rec.cycling#31946

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 24 Oct 2023 14:08:25 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 14:08 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> QUOTE: Luke Widdop, 51, of Keighley, did not stop at the scene in
> Sutton-in-Craven, leaving George Lewis fatally injured after he was
> thrown from the road and into a field. ENDS

> Extra time for doing a runner, I hope.

Touch of PV there?

--
Spike

Re: Keighley drug driver is jailed over crash that killed boy, 9

<8cff4a35-ba4a-437f-adb3-246713e3ac7an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31960&group=uk.rec.cycling#31960

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 10:15:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 17:15 UTC

QUOTE: Bradford Crown Court heard that dairy worker Widdop, who has a criminal record of more than 50 offences. ENDS

Vast majority are driving offences.