You recoil from the crude; you tend naturally toward the exquisite.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: OT: Düsseldorf transport

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Düsseldorf transportLew 1
`* OT: Düsseldorf transportAnna Noyd-Dryver
 +* _OT:_Düsseldorf_transportBob
 |`- OT: Düsseldorf transportAnna Noyd-Dryver
 `* OT: Düsseldorf transportLew 1
  `* _OT:_Düsseldorf_transportArthur Figgis
   `- _OT:_Düsseldorf_transportRolf Mantel

1
OT: Düsseldorf transport

<808378143.676888800.396201.email-nowhere.com@web.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31191&group=uk.railway#31191

From: ema...@nowhere.com (Lew 1)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: OT: Düsseldorf transport
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 08:43:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lew 1 - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 08:43 UTC

I have a week in Düsseldorf planned for next month. Whilst most of it it is
scheduled, I’ll have a day free to wonder and explore, I don’t really know
the city so… are there any interesting transport/rail related sights that I
could try to experience?

Thanks in advance!

Lew

Re: OT: Düsseldorf transport

<t89ksi$9fn$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31193&group=uk.railway#31193

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: OT: Düsseldorf transport
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 09:37:22 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:owp2U4np9Xynujch9jcittWVV9g=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 09:37 UTC

Lew 1 <email@nowhere.com> wrote:

> I have a week in Düsseldorf planned for next month. Whilst most of it it is
> scheduled, I’ll have a day free to wonder and explore, I don’t really know
> the city so… are there any interesting transport/rail related sights that I
> could try to experience?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Within Düsseldorf itself, there are two effectively separate sets of tram
routes, which cross at 90° in an underground station. The Stadtbahn tunnels
have four tracks and you can find yourself racing another tram from station
to station!

The area around there forms effectively one large conurbation and you can,
if you wish, travel a *long* way by tram!

Essen runs former DLR vehicles among its fleet. Bielefeld is allegedly
fictional ;) . Wuppertal has the obvious attraction, but also a tram museum
a short bus ride away (though apparently they're not currently operating
services on their running line); on the way the bus passes and old
Schienbus railcar parked in a car park. There are two other (though
rubber-tyre) danglebahns in the area, at Düsseldorf Airport and at Dortmund
University (available for public to ride on).

Good views over Düsseldorf old town and former docks area from the Rhine
Tower.

Nearby Köln also has an intensive tram network.

Check out <https://www.gleisplanweb.eu/plaene-e.php> for some excellent
tram network maps.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: OT: Düsseldorf transport

<t8aer6$8s7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31216&group=uk.railway#31216

From: ema...@domain.com (Bob)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 19:00:22 +0200
 by: Bob - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 17:00 UTC

On 2022-06-14 09:37:22 +0000, Anna Noyd-Dryver said:

> Lew 1 <email@nowhere.com> wrote:
>>

>> I have a week in Düsseldorf planned for next month. Whilst most of it it is
>> scheduled, I’ll have a day free to wonder and explore, I don’t really know
>> the city so… are there any interesting transport/rail related sights that I
>> could try to experience?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>

> Within Düsseldorf itself, there are two effectively separate sets of tram
> routes, which cross at 90° in an underground station. The Stadtbahn tunnels
> have four tracks and you can find yourself racing another tram from station
> to station!
>
> The area around there forms effectively one large conurbation and you can,
> if you wish, travel a *long* way by tram!
>
> Essen runs former DLR vehicles among its fleet. Bielefeld is allegedly
> fictional ;) . Wuppertal has the obvious attraction, but also a tram museum
> a short bus ride away (though apparently they're not currently operating
> services on their running line); on the way the bus passes and old
> Schienbus railcar parked in a car park. There are two other (though
> rubber-tyre) danglebahns in the area, at Düsseldorf Airport and at Dortmund
> University (available for public to ride on).
>
> Good views over Düsseldorf old town and former docks area from the Rhine
> Tower.
>
> Nearby Köln also has an intensive tram network.
>
> Check out <https://www.gleisplanweb.eu/plaene-e.php> for some excellent
> tram network maps.

Are the ex-DLR vehicles still in use? I thought I had read they had
been retired and withdrawn.

Robin

Re: OT: Düsseldorf transport

<t8ahbl$r6p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31220&group=uk.railway#31220

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 17:43:17 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:G5t0+aeAFGBnGEBOhAq98UDRdjE=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 17:43 UTC

Bob <email@domain.com> wrote:
> On 2022-06-14 09:37:22 +0000, Anna Noyd-Dryver said:
>
>> Lew 1 <email@nowhere.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> I have a week in Düsseldorf planned for next month. Whilst most of it it is
>>> scheduled, I’ll have a day free to wonder and explore, I don’t really know
>>> the city so… are there any interesting transport/rail related sights that I
>>> could try to experience?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!
>>>

>> Within Düsseldorf itself, there are two effectively separate sets of tram
>> routes, which cross at 90° in an underground station. The Stadtbahn tunnels
>> have four tracks and you can find yourself racing another tram from station
>> to station!
>>
>> The area around there forms effectively one large conurbation and you can,
>> if you wish, travel a *long* way by tram!
>>
>> Essen runs former DLR vehicles among its fleet. Bielefeld is allegedly
>> fictional ;) . Wuppertal has the obvious attraction, but also a tram museum
>> a short bus ride away (though apparently they're not currently operating
>> services on their running line); on the way the bus passes and old
>> Schienbus railcar parked in a car park. There are two other (though
>> rubber-tyre) danglebahns in the area, at Düsseldorf Airport and at Dortmund
>> University (available for public to ride on).
>>
>> Good views over Düsseldorf old town and former docks area from the Rhine
>> Tower.
>>
>> Nearby Köln also has an intensive tram network.
>>
>> Check out <https://www.gleisplanweb.eu/plaene-e.php> for some excellent
>> tram network maps.
>
> Are the ex-DLR vehicles still in use? I thought I had read they had
> been retired and withdrawn.

Soon, but not yet, AFAIK.

Replacements ordered last year:
<https://www.railwaygazette.com/vehicles/ruhrbahn-orders-51-light-rail-vehicles/59350.article>

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: OT: Düsseldorf transport

<1429898479.677087115.856878.email-nowhere.com@web.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31348&group=uk.railway#31348

From: ema...@nowhere.com (Lew 1)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 16:04:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lew 1 - Thu, 16 Jun 2022 16:04 UTC

Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:
> Lew 1 <email@nowhere.com> wrote:
>>

>> I have a week in Düsseldorf planned for next month. Whilst most of it it is
>> scheduled, I’ll have a day free to wonder and explore, I don’t really know
>> the city so… are there any interesting transport/rail related sights that I
>> could try to experience?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>

> Within Düsseldorf itself, there are two effectively separate sets of tram
> routes, which cross at 90° in an underground station. The Stadtbahn tunnels
> have four tracks and you can find yourself racing another tram from station
> to station!

Interesting… the s-Bahn and U-bahn effectively both being tram systems but
under different guises.

> The area around there forms effectively one large conurbation and you can,
> if you wish, travel a *long* way by tram!
>
> Essen runs former DLR vehicles among its fleet.

Ah, yes that does interest me. Any tips on finding the routes those
vehicles are used on?

> fictional ;) . Wuppertal has the obvious attraction, but also a tram museum
> a short bus ride away (though apparently they're not currently operating
> services on their running line); on the way the bus passes and old
> Schienbus railcar parked in a car park. There are two other (though
> rubber-tyre) danglebahns in the area, at Düsseldorf Airport and at Dortmund
> University (available for public to ride on).

Yep - looking forward to trying the airport one out, good to know the other
is available for public use too.

> Good views over Düsseldorf old town and former docks area from the Rhine
> Tower.
>
> Nearby Köln also has an intensive tram network.
>
> Check out <https://www.gleisplanweb.eu/plaene-e.php> for some excellent
> tram network maps.

An excellent resource - thank you.

I may invest in a Düsseldorf tourist card which includes the local
transport and a discount on the city tour bus.

One of my days includes a trip with friends to Phantasialand (to ride
trains of a somewhat different nature!!) which includes a train trip to
Brühl. Is something like trainline the best way to get tickets, or is there
no advantage to getting a walk up fare?

Lew

Re: OT: Düsseldorf transport

<5d6dnRZ3PLFRnDD_nZ2dnUU7-e_NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31470&group=uk.railway#31470

Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 23:35:56 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: afig...@example.invalid (Arthur Figgis)
 by: Arthur Figgis - Fri, 17 Jun 2022 22:35 UTC

On 16/06/2022 17:04, Lew 1 wrote:

> Is something like trainline the best way to get tickets,

Probably not. The DB app might be handy.

> or is there
> no advantage to getting a walk up fare?

There will almost certainly be a whole load of multi-modal tickets sold
from any ticket machine covering the city/local authority/Land which
make sense for anoraks, if you can figure them out - the Nuremberg fare
zones make TfL fares to Watford seem trivial, and when it comes to
somewhere that involves counting polygons, I just give up and buy the
most expensive option and hope for the best.

The infamous EUR 9 monthly special ticket might be the best option at
the moment.

--
Arthur Figgis

Re: OT: Düsseldorf transport

<t8sf5h$fdb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31791&group=uk.railway#31791

From: new...@hartig-mantel.de (Rolf Mantel)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 14:56:20 +0200
 by: Rolf Mantel - Tue, 21 Jun 2022 12:56 UTC

Am 18.06.2022 um 00:35 schrieb Arthur Figgis:
> On 16/06/2022 17:04, Lew 1 wrote:
>
>> Is something like trainline the best way to get tickets,
>
> Probably not. The DB app might be handy.
>
>> or is there
>> no advantage to getting a walk up fare?
>
> There will almost certainly be a whole load of multi-modal tickets sold
> from any ticket machine covering the city/local authority/Land which
> make sense for anoraks, if you can figure them out - the Nuremberg fare
> zones make TfL fares to Watford seem trivial, and when it comes to
> somewhere that involves counting polygons, I just give up and buy the
> most expensive option and hope for the best.
>
> The infamous EUR 9 monthly special ticket might be the best option at
> the moment.

Right, EUR 9 for a calendar month (e.g. July 01 till July 31) covers
bus, tram and local trains in all of Germany.