We have ears, earther...FOUR OF THEM!

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Woman jailed for causing death of man by dangerous driving

SubjectAuthor
* Woman jailed for causing death of man by dangerous drivingSimon Mason
+- Re: Woman jailed for causing death of man by dangerous drivingSpike
+* Re: Woman jailed for causing death of man by dangerous drivingSimon Mason
|`* Re: Woman jailed for causing death of man by dangerous drivingSpike
| `* Re: Woman jailed for causing death of man by dangerous drivingJNugent
|  `- Re: Woman jailed for causing death of man by dangerous drivingSpike
+- Re: Woman jailed for causing death of man by dangerous drivingSimon Mason
`- Re: Woman jailed for causing death of man by dangerous drivingSimon Mason

1
Woman jailed for causing death of man by dangerous driving

<1439ddde-82bd-4e4e-830c-c6716eba8de0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31724&group=uk.rec.cycling#31724

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 09:29:05 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Woman jailed for causing death of man by dangerous driving
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 16:29 UTC

A 21-YEAR-OLD woman has been jailed for causing the death of a 20-year-old passenger in her car in a collision in West Yorkshire in November 2021.

Chelsea Standage, of Barden Road, Wakefield, had previously pleaded guilty to causing the death of Elliott Lemm by dangerous driving and two counts of causing serious injury by dangerous driving in relation to two other passengers in the vehicle

She appeared at Leeds Crown Court today (Thursday, July 27) where she was sentenced to eight years and eight months imprisonment.

She will not be considered for release from prison until she has served at least two-thirds of her sentence. She was also banned from driving for 10 years.

The collision happened on Wakefield Road, Horbury, in the early hours of November 13, 2021.

Standage lost control of her vehicle on a bend, colliding with a wall and a parked vehicle.

She is estimated to have been travelling at over 70mph on the 30mph road and gave an evidential breath test result of 63 micrograms of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath. The legal limit is 35.

Elliott’s mother Samantha Lemm provided a victim statement to the court.

"I don’t believe I will ever forget the night the police came to my home to tell me that my boy had died.

"The day that I had to close the lid on his coffin and put Elliott into the dark I knew that it was forever.

"Elliot was taken so suddenly there was still so much for him to do and so much I wanted to say to him. Every morning when I wake up my heart is broken.“

Detective Sergeant Paul Lightowler, of the Major Collision Enquiry Team, said: “Chelsea Standage’s reckless actions on that night have had an absolutely devastating impact not just on those in the car but their families, friends and the wider community.

“People may recall this collision and the media coverage of Snapchat messages sent from within the car with one of the passengers telling Chelsea to ‘slow down’.

“Sadly, the speed she was travelling at and her impaired judgement from drinking alcohol killed one person and seriously injured two others.

“Elliott was just 20 years old when he died, with his whole life ahead of him. His family and the police hope that by highlighting the events leading up to this collision that it might make others think twice about driving after a night out.

“I hope that the conclusion of this court case brings some closure for Elliott’s family, and the two other young people injured in this collision, as they continue to rebuild their lives after this truly tragic incident.”

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/23684819.woman-jailed-causing-death-man-dangerous-driving/

Re: Woman jailed for causing death of man by dangerous driving

<kpk33rFr5ecU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31735&group=uk.rec.cycling#31735

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 22 Oct 2023 07:59:55 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 07:59 UTC

Old news: 27 July.

--
Spike

Re: Woman jailed for causing death of man by dangerous driving

<7bd515be-8ab4-4dbe-b10a-3537fc7d5ac3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31741&group=uk.rec.cycling#31741

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 03:31:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 10:31 UTC

QUOTE: She appeared at Leeds Crown Court today (Thursday, July 27) where she was sentenced to eight years and eight months imprisonment.

She will not be considered for release from prison until she has served at least two-thirds of her sentence. She was also banned from driving for 10 years. ENDS

Nearly a 19 years driving ban - a good result.

Re: Woman jailed for causing death of man by dangerous driving

<kpkk6vFu889U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31750&group=uk.rec.cycling#31750

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 22 Oct 2023 12:51:43 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 12:51 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> QUOTE: She appeared at Leeds Crown Court today (Thursday, July 27) where
> she was sentenced to eight years and eight months imprisonment.
>
> She will not be considered for release from prison until she has served
> at least two-thirds of her sentence. She was also banned from driving for 10 years. ENDS
>
> Nearly a 19 years driving ban - a good result.

Not necessarily. She’ll have readjusted in the first week or two after
release, meaning that by and large the rest of the 10 years will have been
to satisfy, among others, those who revel in petty vindictiveness.

--
Spike

Re: Woman jailed for causing death of man by dangerous driving

<kpkqriFqtcU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31764&group=uk.rec.cycling#31764

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 15:45:05 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 14:45 UTC

On 22/10/2023 01:51 pm, Spike wrote:
> Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
>> QUOTE: She appeared at Leeds Crown Court today (Thursday, July 27) where
>> she was sentenced to eight years and eight months imprisonment.
>>
>> She will not be considered for release from prison until she has served
>> at least two-thirds of her sentence. She was also banned from driving for 10 years. ENDS
>>
>> Nearly a 19 years driving ban - a good result.
>
> Not necessarily. She’ll have readjusted in the first week or two after
> release, meaning that by and large the rest of the 10 years will have been
> to satisfy, among others, those who revel in petty vindictiveness.

BTW: Thunderbird marked up May Sun's post as a reply to your previous
one in this thread.

But how can that be when he never reads your stuff?

Hmmm... who to believe... Mozilla's software or May Sun, the drunk
cyclist and dangerous-condition car driver?

Re: Woman jailed for causing death of man by dangerous driving

<4aba42ff-2ab1-4a8e-b50b-a048c2ae541cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31774&group=uk.rec.cycling#31774

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 08:11:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 15:11 UTC

QUOTE: "I don’t believe I will ever forget the night the police came to my home to tell me that my boy had died. "The day that I had to close the lid on his coffin and put Elliott into the dark I knew that it was forever. ENDS

Yet many people see the jailed driver as the "victim" - the twats.

Re: Woman jailed for causing death of man by dangerous driving

<kpkv0gF1jjqU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31790&group=uk.rec.cycling#31790

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 22 Oct 2023 15:56:00 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 15:56 UTC

JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
> On 22/10/2023 01:51 pm, Spike wrote:
>> Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> QUOTE: She appeared at Leeds Crown Court today (Thursday, July 27) where
>>> she was sentenced to eight years and eight months imprisonment.
>>>
>>> She will not be considered for release from prison until she has served
>>> at least two-thirds of her sentence. She was also banned from driving for 10 years. ENDS
>>>
>>> Nearly a 19 years driving ban - a good result.
>>
>> Not necessarily. She’ll have readjusted in the first week or two after
>> release, meaning that by and large the rest of the 10 years will have been
>> to satisfy, among others, those who revel in petty vindictiveness.
>
> BTW: Thunderbird marked up May Sun's post as a reply to your previous
> one in this thread.
>
> But how can that be when he never reads your stuff?
>
> Hmmm... who to believe... Mozilla's software or May Sun, the drunk
> cyclist and dangerous-condition car driver?

That’s a slam dunk, innit!

--
Spike

Re: Woman jailed for causing death of man by dangerous driving

<4be50392-0191-4f30-b31f-c1d37abbcc12n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31806&group=uk.rec.cycling#31806

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 10:51:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 17:51 UTC

QUOTE: “Sadly, the speed she was travelling at and her impaired judgement from drinking alcohol killed one person and seriously injured two others. ENDS

She was begged to slow down as well!