:-) your own self. -- Larry Wall in <199709261754.KAA23761@wall.org>

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: Help with screen size

SubjectAuthor
* Help with screen sizeWoody
+* Re: Help with screen sizePaul Ratcliffe
|+- Re: Help with screen sizewilliamwright
|`* Re: Help with screen sizeBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
| `- Re: Help with screen sizeMB
+* Re: Help with screen sizealan_m
|`* Re: Help with screen sizeWoody
| +- Re: Help with screen sizeBrightsideS9
| +- Re: Help with screen sizeRobin
| +* Re: Help with screen sizealan_m
| |`- Re: Help with screen sizeWoody
| `* Re: Help with screen sizeR. Mark Clayton
|  `- Re: Help with screen sizeNY
`* Re: Help with screen sizeJava Jive
 `- Re: Help with screen sizeWoody

1
Help with screen size

<stlmkj$jek$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31714&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31714

From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Help with screen size
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 11:21:54 +0000
 by: Woody - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 11:21 UTC

We have a Samsung UE32T5300AK smart TV.

I have noticed, more so of late, that when the TV guide is displayed the
bottom box is only partly on show - about the top third at most. I may
have noticed it now as under 'normal' operation starting at BBC1 and
going down in pages, the bottom box is BBC3. I realise that I can step
down line by line to the bottom box which is then shown in full, but
should I have to do that?

It suggests to me that either the vertical position of the graphic needs
adjusting - can that be done? - or the whole guide is over sized.

in normal viewing the picture size appears to be correct.

Anyone else come across this issue and found a solution or is this a
back-to-Samsung fault?

Re: Help with screen size

<slrnsvt0pk.4sc.abuse@news.pr.network>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31723&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31723

From: abu...@orac12.clara34.co56.uk78 (Paul Ratcliffe)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Help with screen size
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2022 14:01:23 GMT
Sender: abuse@win7.lan
 by: Paul Ratcliffe - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 14:01 UTC

On Sat, 5 Feb 2022 11:21:54 +0000, Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> We have a Samsung UE32T5300AK smart TV.
>
> I have noticed, more so of late, that when the TV guide is displayed the
> bottom box is only partly on show - about the top third at most. I may
> have noticed it now as under 'normal' operation starting at BBC1 and
> going down in pages, the bottom box is BBC3. I realise that I can step
> down line by line to the bottom box which is then shown in full, but
> should I have to do that?
>
> It suggests to me that either the vertical position of the graphic needs
> adjusting - can that be done? - or the whole guide is over sized.

You need to adjust the knobs on the back marked V.HOLD and V.SIZE.

Re: Help with screen size

<j67p2dFhjdbU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31744&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31744

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 17:05:18 +0000
 by: williamwright - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 17:05 UTC

On 05/02/2022 14:01, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Feb 2022 11:21:54 +0000, Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> We have a Samsung UE32T5300AK smart TV.
>>
>> I have noticed, more so of late, that when the TV guide is displayed the
>> bottom box is only partly on show - about the top third at most. I may
>> have noticed it now as under 'normal' operation starting at BBC1 and
>> going down in pages, the bottom box is BBC3. I realise that I can step
>> down line by line to the bottom box which is then shown in full, but
>> should I have to do that?
>>
>> It suggests to me that either the vertical position of the graphic needs
>> adjusting - can that be done? - or the whole guide is over sized.
>
> You need to adjust the knobs on the back marked V.HOLD and V.SIZE.

Then have a fiddle with V linearity.

Bill

Re: Help with screen size

<sto70d$tul$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31785&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31785

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 10:13:32 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 10:13 UTC

Knobs, really?

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Paul Ratcliffe" <abuse@orac12.clara34.co56.uk78> wrote in message
> On Sat, 5 Feb 2022 11:21:54 +0000, Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> We have a Samsung UE32T5300AK smart TV.
>>
>> I have noticed, more so of late, that when the TV guide is displayed the
>> bottom box is only partly on show - about the top third at most. I may
>> have noticed it now as under 'normal' operation starting at BBC1 and
>> going down in pages, the bottom box is BBC3. I realise that I can step
>> down line by line to the bottom box which is then shown in full, but
>> should I have to do that?
>>
>> It suggests to me that either the vertical position of the graphic needs
>> adjusting - can that be done? - or the whole guide is over sized.
>
> You need to adjust the knobs on the back marked V.HOLD and V.SIZE.

Re: Help with screen size

<stp3q5$jrg$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31801&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31801

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 18:25:08 +0000
 by: MB - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 18:25 UTC

On 06/02/2022 10:13, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
> Knobs, really?

I can remember some with knobs on those controls.

They could often need regular adjustment and with a live chassis you
need want people poking screwdrivers in the back of the TV!

Re: Help with screen size

<j6arvbF591bU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31804&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31804

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 21:13:16 +0000
 by: alan_m - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 21:13 UTC

On 05/02/2022 11:21, Woody wrote:
> We have a Samsung UE32T5300AK smart TV.
>
> I have noticed, more so of late, that when the TV guide is displayed the
> bottom box is only partly on show - about the top third at most. I may
> have noticed it now as under 'normal' operation starting at BBC1 and
> going down in pages, the bottom box is BBC3. I realise that I can step
> down line by line to the bottom box which is then shown in full, but
> should I have to do that?
>
> It suggests to me that either the vertical position of the graphic needs
> adjusting - can that be done? - or the whole guide is over sized.
>
> in normal viewing the picture size appears to be correct.
>
> Anyone else come across this issue and found a solution or is this a
> back-to-Samsung fault?

Possibly you have your TV set to overscan/zoom where the edges of the
picture (and on screen graphics) are outside of the panel display. You
need to turn it off

On my older Samsung it's under the "picture options" menu and "size =
just scan".

Re: Help with screen size

<stqif6$999$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31806&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31806

From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 07:41:26 +0000
 by: Woody - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 07:41 UTC

On Sun 06/02/2022 21:13, alan_m wrote:
> On 05/02/2022 11:21, Woody wrote:
>> We have a Samsung UE32T5300AK smart TV.
>>
>> I have noticed, more so of late, that when the TV guide is displayed
>> the bottom box is only partly on show - about the top third at most. I
>> may have noticed it now as under 'normal' operation starting at BBC1
>> and going down in pages, the bottom box is BBC3. I realise that I can
>> step down line by line to the bottom box which is then shown in full,
>> but should I have to do that?
>>
>> It suggests to me that either the vertical position of the graphic
>> needs adjusting - can that be done? - or the whole guide is over sized.
>>
>> in normal viewing the picture size appears to be correct.
>>
>> Anyone else come across this issue and found a solution or is this a
>> back-to-Samsung fault?
>>

> Possibly you have your TV set to overscan/zoom where the edges of the
> picture (and on screen graphics) are outside of the panel display. You
> need to turn it off
>
> On my older Samsung it's under the "picture options" menu and "size =
> just scan".

Nope, its a smart TV so it is (supposed to be) smart enough to correct
that itself, I'm not allowed to interfere!

Re: Help with screen size

<q9p10h13jpihdcqij2cms1rvm9n8q43gsq@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31809&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31809

From: reply_to...@invalid.invalid (BrightsideS9)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2022 09:26:59 +0000
 by: BrightsideS9 - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 09:26 UTC

On Mon, 7 Feb 2022 07:41:26 +0000, Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>On Sun 06/02/2022 21:13, alan_m wrote:
>> On 05/02/2022 11:21, Woody wrote:
>>> We have a Samsung UE32T5300AK smart TV.
>>>
>>> I have noticed, more so of late, that when the TV guide is displayed
>>> the bottom box is only partly on show - about the top third at most. I
>>> may have noticed it now as under 'normal' operation starting at BBC1
>>> and going down in pages, the bottom box is BBC3. I realise that I can
>>> step down line by line to the bottom box which is then shown in full,
>>> but should I have to do that?
>>>
>>> It suggests to me that either the vertical position of the graphic
>>> needs adjusting - can that be done? - or the whole guide is over sized.
>>>
>>> in normal viewing the picture size appears to be correct.
>>>
>>> Anyone else come across this issue and found a solution or is this a
>>> back-to-Samsung fault?
>>>

>> Possibly you have your TV set to overscan/zoom where the edges of the
>> picture (and on screen graphics) are outside of the panel display. You
>> need to turn it off
>>
>> On my older Samsung it's under the "picture options" menu and "size =
>> just scan".
>>

>Nope, its a smart TV so it is (supposed to be) smart enough to correct
>that itself, I'm not allowed to interfere!

Google disagrees with you. There are plenty of hits indicating that on
Samsung TVs smart and overscan are not mutually exclusive.

--
brightside S9

Re: Help with screen size

<3ddfa813-0758-bf7e-e9f2-98d398892017@outlook.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31810&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31810

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 10:02:16 +0000
 by: Robin - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 10:02 UTC

On 07/02/2022 07:41, Woody wrote:
> On Sun 06/02/2022 21:13, alan_m wrote:
>> On 05/02/2022 11:21, Woody wrote:
>>> We have a Samsung UE32T5300AK smart TV.
>>>
>>> I have noticed, more so of late, that when the TV guide is displayed
>>> the bottom box is only partly on show - about the top third at most.
>>> I may have noticed it now as under 'normal' operation starting at
>>> BBC1 and going down in pages, the bottom box is BBC3. I realise that
>>> I can step down line by line to the bottom box which is then shown in
>>> full, but should I have to do that?
>>>
>>> It suggests to me that either the vertical position of the graphic
>>> needs adjusting - can that be done? - or the whole guide is over sized.
>>>
>>> in normal viewing the picture size appears to be correct.
>>>
>>> Anyone else come across this issue and found a solution or is this a
>>> back-to-Samsung fault?
>>>

>> Possibly you have your TV set to overscan/zoom where the edges of the
>> picture (and on screen graphics) are outside of the panel display. You
>> need to turn it off
>>
>> On my older Samsung it's under the "picture options" menu and "size =
>> just scan".
>>

> Nope, its a smart TV so it is (supposed to be) smart enough to correct
> that itself, I'm not allowed to interfere!

IMLE the picture size menu may not be available when using iPlayer etc
but is for other sources. The e-manual usually lists them.

--
Robin

Re: Help with screen size

<j6c9r7Fder3U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31811&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31811

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 10:16:08 +0000
 by: alan_m - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 10:16 UTC

On 07/02/2022 07:41, Woody wrote:

> Nope, its a smart TV so it is (supposed to be) smart enough to correct
> that itself, I'm not allowed to interfere!

It appears that the default operation of most TVS is to overscan and
it's up to the user to set it otherwise.

This subject occurs regularly on a STB forum that I read and the
recommended solution is always to turn off over-scanning on the TV
rather than under-scan the graphic overlay on the STB which can lead to
other unwanted cosmetic edge of screen effects.

I was under the impression that "smart" just meant it was internet
connected and that it could run "apps". Your TV may adjust itself to
various input formats but it doesn't mean that it is not over-scanning.

Re: Help with screen size

<stqsci$48b$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31812&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31812

From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 10:30:42 +0000
 by: Woody - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 10:30 UTC

On Mon 07/02/2022 10:16, alan_m wrote:
> On 07/02/2022 07:41, Woody wrote:
>
>> Nope, its a smart TV so it is (supposed to be) smart enough to correct
>> that itself, I'm not allowed to interfere!
>
> It appears that the default operation of most TVS is to overscan and
> it's up to the user to set it otherwise.
>
> This subject occurs regularly on a STB forum that I read and the
> recommended solution is always to turn off over-scanning on the TV
> rather than under-scan the graphic overlay on the STB which can lead to
> other unwanted cosmetic edge of screen effects.
>
> I was under the impression that "smart" just meant it was internet
> connected and that it could run "apps". Your TV may adjust itself to
> various input formats but it doesn't mean that it is not over-scanning.

I was being facetious.......

Re: Help with screen size

<str14l$82p$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31813&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31813

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 11:51:45 +0000
 by: Java Jive - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 11:51 UTC

On 05/02/2022 11:21, Woody wrote:

> We have a Samsung UE32T5300AK smart TV.
>
> I have noticed, more so of late, that when the TV guide is displayed the
> bottom box is only partly on show - about the top third at most. I may
> have noticed it now as under 'normal' operation starting at BBC1 and
> going down in pages, the bottom box is BBC3. I realise that I can step
> down line by line to the bottom box which is then shown in full, but
> should I have to do that?
>
> It suggests to me that either the vertical position of the graphic needs
> adjusting - can that be done? - or the whole guide is over sized.
>
> in normal viewing the picture size appears to be correct.
>
> Anyone else come across this issue and found a solution or is this a
> back-to-Samsung fault?

I know nothing useful about so-called 'smart' TVs, but having read the
rest of the thread, I'm going out on a limb. I have a Network Media
Player that has a magnify function activated by a key on the remote,
which, as its name suggests, magnifies part of the picture to fill the
screen, and then you can move the magnified part of the picture around
using the arrow keys. Could it be that yours has something similar, and,
unlike mine, remembers where it is activated?

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Help with screen size

<str24p$f8l$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31815&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31815

From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 12:08:56 +0000
 by: Woody - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 12:08 UTC

On Mon 07/02/2022 11:51, Java Jive wrote:
> On 05/02/2022 11:21, Woody wrote:
>>
>> We have a Samsung UE32T5300AK smart TV.
>>
>> I have noticed, more so of late, that when the TV guide is displayed
>> the bottom box is only partly on show - about the top third at most. I
>> may have noticed it now as under 'normal' operation starting at BBC1
>> and going down in pages, the bottom box is BBC3. I realise that I can
>> step down line by line to the bottom box which is then shown in full,
>> but should I have to do that?
>>
>> It suggests to me that either the vertical position of the graphic
>> needs adjusting - can that be done? - or the whole guide is over sized.
>>
>> in normal viewing the picture size appears to be correct.
>>
>> Anyone else come across this issue and found a solution or is this a
>> back-to-Samsung fault?
>
> I know nothing useful about so-called 'smart' TVs, but having read the
> rest of the thread, I'm going out on a limb.  I have a Network Media
> Player that has a magnify function activated by a key on the remote,
> which, as its name suggests, magnifies part of the picture to fill the
> screen, and then you can move the magnified part of the picture around
> using the arrow keys. Could it be that yours has something similar, and,
> unlike mine, remembers where it is activated?

Thanks Charles but I seem to have inadvertently fixed it!

I checked and found the TV was on FW 1403 and the latest is 2200 or
similar, so I updated the FW. For some reason doing so lost some
channels, e.g. BBC3 which was where I had the issue on the program guide.

Having done the update and retuned the whole TV manually I find now that
if I start at BBC1 on the guide and use the channel up/down to page
though it, the text of the last graphic 'box' at the bottom which was
only partly visible before now becomes the top box of the next page. I
have a sneaking idea that it used to do this before but stopped doing so
which must have been some time back.

Anyway all is now good and working.

Tnx to all for the suggestions.

Re: Help with screen size

<19b7ff37-59e5-4ec7-bd9e-b3e1181071a4n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31822&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31822

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 07:36:22 -0800 (PST)
From: notyalck...@gmail.com (R. Mark Clayton)
 by: R. Mark Clayton - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 15:36 UTC

On Monday, 7 February 2022 at 07:41:28 UTC, Woody wrote:
> On Sun 06/02/2022 21:13, alan_m wrote:
> > On 05/02/2022 11:21, Woody wrote:
> >> We have a Samsung UE32T5300AK smart TV.
> >>
> >> I have noticed, more so of late, that when the TV guide is displayed
> >> the bottom box is only partly on show - about the top third at most. I
> >> may have noticed it now as under 'normal' operation starting at BBC1
> >> and going down in pages, the bottom box is BBC3. I realise that I can
> >> step down line by line to the bottom box which is then shown in full,
> >> but should I have to do that?
> >>
> >> It suggests to me that either the vertical position of the graphic
> >> needs adjusting - can that be done? - or the whole guide is over sized.
> >>
> >> in normal viewing the picture size appears to be correct.
> >>
> >> Anyone else come across this issue and found a solution or is this a
> >> back-to-Samsung fault?
> >>

> > Possibly you have your TV set to overscan/zoom where the edges of the
> > picture (and on screen graphics) are outside of the panel display. You
> > need to turn it off
> >
> > On my older Samsung it's under the "picture options" menu and "size =
> > just scan".
> >

> Nope, its a smart TV so it is (supposed to be) smart enough to correct
> that itself, I'm not allowed to interfere!

Many sets slightly overscan so there are no on screen borders.

Somewhere in the video menus are options about screen metrics. There will be choices such as 4:3, 16:9, 14:9, Auto, Zoom etc. and if you are lucky "just scan".

The last might correct the problem and is certainly the best for connecting PC's etc.

Re: Help with screen size

<sts3oa$glk$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31837&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31837

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 21:41:43 -0000
 by: NY - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 21:41 UTC

"R. Mark Clayton" <notyalckram@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Somewhere in the video menus are options about screen metrics. There will
> be choices such as 4:3, 16:9, 14:9, Auto, Zoom etc. and if you are lucky
> "just scan".

I've always wondered: what does the "just" signify? Is is "just" as in "just
[f-ing] do it - no modifications to what's broadcast" or is it short for
"justify" in the printing sense of adjusting margins to fill the available
space?

I've never understood why there are so many options. All you need are auto
(obey the presence/absence of the widescreen flag), force 4:3 and force
16:9. And maybe auto should be the default so the aspect ratio switches
correctly according to the instructions from the broadcaster - assuming they
use the widescreen flag properly and change it when broadcasting a 4:3
programme from the archives, as opposed to the BBC practice of broadcasting
everything as 16:9 with reduced picture resolution because the left and
right panels are wasted on broadcasting black. How come everyone, even
"small" channels like Yesterday and Drama, gets it right and toggles between
4:3 for archive programmes and 16:9 for adverts within them but BBC always
embeds a 4:3 picture in a 16:9 frame?