Imagine what we can imagine! -- Arthur Rubinstein

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Duplication of shared drives in Win 10

SubjectAuthor
* Duplication of shared drives in Win 10Mike Halmarack
+* Re: Duplication of shared drives in Win 10Jaimie Vandenbergh
|+- Re: Duplication of shared drives in Win 10Raj Kundra
|`- Re: Duplication of shared drives in Win 10Mike Halmarack
`* Re: Duplication of shared drives in Win 10Adrian Caspersz
 `- Re: Duplication of shared drives in Win 10Mike Halmarack

1
Duplication of shared drives in Win 10

<sn1b2it1o6s1e05f2avlicn2asj827v3qk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3185&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3185

From: mikehalm...@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Duplication of shared drives in Win 10
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 14:24:20 +0100
 by: Mike Halmarack - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 13:24 UTC

On my main PC I have 3 external drives consisting of 5 partitions:

3TB_1 = P
3TB_2 = Q
3TB_3 = R

Pass_2TB = S

Wild_2TB = T

On 2 networked laptops, when I click on "Network" > "Main PC" in the
Navigation Pane I get shown all the drives listed above,
plus an extra grouping:

p, q, r, s,

which when each clicked on, opens the same drives associated with
these drive letters.

It's not the end of the world, I know, but I haven't got the
perceptual resilience I once had and my top priority theses days is
keeping things as clear and simple as possible, so any advice on
getting rid of these duplications would be appreciated.
--

Mike

Re: Duplication of shared drives in Win 10

<k8logjF49qgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3186&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3186

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Duplication of shared drives in Win 10
Date: 30 Mar 2023 15:34:43 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 15:34 UTC

On 30 Mar 2023 at 14:24:20 BST, "Mike Halmarack"
<mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's not the end of the world, I know, but I haven't got the
> perceptual resilience I once had and my top priority theses days is
> keeping things as clear and simple as possible, so any advice on
> getting rid of these duplications would be appreciated.

My own coping technique is a moment of LOOK MOM WINDOWS IS BEING WEIRD
AGAIN and ignoring it.

There's no telling what Windows will decide to do to be 'helpful' as
there are so many different teams with different ideas about what is
helpful. And none of them want to allow turning off their helpfulness.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Hell hath no fury like someone who is enraged that
someone else is getting away with something they're

Re: Duplication of shared drives in Win 10

<u04c1p$ugr2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3187&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3187

From: raj...@kundracomputers.co.uk (Raj Kundra)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 17:06:17 +0100
 by: Raj Kundra - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 16:06 UTC

On 30/03/2023 16:34, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
> On 30 Mar 2023 at 14:24:20 BST, "Mike Halmarack"
> <mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It's not the end of the world, I know, but I haven't got the
>> perceptual resilience I once had and my top priority theses days is
>> keeping things as clear and simple as possible, so any advice on
>> getting rid of these duplications would be appreciated.
>
> My own coping technique is a moment of LOOK MOM WINDOWS IS BEING WEIRD
> AGAIN and ignoring it.
>
> There's no telling what Windows will decide to do to be 'helpful' as
> there are so many different teams with different ideas about what is
> helpful. And none of them want to allow turning off their helpfulness.
>
> Cheers - Jaimie
LOL

Re: Duplication of shared drives in Win 10

<k8ls0sF4qs3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3188&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3188

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 17:34:36 +0100
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 16:34 UTC

On 30/03/2023 14:24, Mike Halmarack wrote:
> On my main PC I have 3 external drives consisting of 5 partitions:
>
> 3TB_1 = P
> 3TB_2 = Q
> 3TB_3 = R
>
> Pass_2TB = S
>
> Wild_2TB = T
>
> On 2 networked laptops, when I click on "Network" > "Main PC" in the
> Navigation Pane I get shown all the drives listed above,
> plus an extra grouping:
>
> p, q, r, s,
>
> which when each clicked on, opens the same drives associated with
> these drive letters.

Mapping network drives to letters will get you there (something from the
last century)

Windows (being helpful) is showing the natural shares plus the drives
with your appended letters.

I don't map drives anymore, as I use UNC paths for everything, and can
drag shortcuts to the quick access left pane of file explorer.

--
Adrian C

Re: Duplication of shared drives in Win 10

<d3fb2i5iim8rqe3h1thsduii4aikc8lkib@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3189&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3189

From: mikehalm...@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 17:46:44 +0100
 by: Mike Halmarack - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 16:46 UTC

On 30 Mar 2023 15:34:43 GMT, Jaimie Vandenbergh
<jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

>On 30 Mar 2023 at 14:24:20 BST, "Mike Halmarack"
><mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It's not the end of the world, I know, but I haven't got the
>> perceptual resilience I once had and my top priority theses days is
>> keeping things as clear and simple as possible, so any advice on
>> getting rid of these duplications would be appreciated.
>
>My own coping technique is a moment of LOOK MOM WINDOWS IS BEING WEIRD
>AGAIN and ignoring it.
>
>There's no telling what Windows will decide to do to be 'helpful' as
>there are so many different teams with different ideas about what is
>helpful. And none of them want to allow turning off their helpfulness.
>
> Cheers - Jaimie

WPILTAYMA

Windows Problems I'd Like To Ask Your Mom About.

Re: Duplication of shared drives in Win 10

<sj5d2idmojj7a6lss5qt2q03rb4sf61b5g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3190&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3190

From: mikehalm...@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 09:28:41 +0100
 by: Mike Halmarack - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 08:28 UTC

On Thu, 30 Mar 2023 17:34:36 +0100, Adrian Caspersz
<email@here.invalid> wrote:

>On 30/03/2023 14:24, Mike Halmarack wrote:
>> On my main PC I have 3 external drives consisting of 5 partitions:
>>
>> 3TB_1 = P
>> 3TB_2 = Q
>> 3TB_3 = R
>>
>> Pass_2TB = S
>>
>> Wild_2TB = T
>>
>> On 2 networked laptops, when I click on "Network" > "Main PC" in the
>> Navigation Pane I get shown all the drives listed above,
>> plus an extra grouping:
>>
>> p, q, r, s,
>>
>> which when each clicked on, opens the same drives associated with
>> these drive letters.
>
>Mapping network drives to letters will get you there (something from the
>last century)
>
>Windows (being helpful) is showing the natural shares plus the drives
>with your appended letters.
>
>I don't map drives anymore, as I use UNC paths for everything, and can
>drag shortcuts to the quick access left pane of file explorer.

I've stopped mapping drives based on your advice in the past.
I also cleared the old mappings out of the registry as best I could
but it hasn't quite done the trick.
I might give up soon and just listen to the radio instead.

All I seem to be doing these days is mopping up after new windows
installations and updates. This mornings interesting development is
the non-functioning of Win key+R and Win key+D. Just minor details on
an ever growing list of niggles, there in case I have nothing better
to do.
--

Mike