The qotc (quote of the con) was Liz's: "My brain is paged out to my liver."

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / The podcast industry

SubjectAuthor
* The podcast industryPamela
`* Re: The podcast industryBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
 +- Re: The podcast industryPamela
 +* Re: The podcast industryMax Demian
 |+- Re: The podcast industryMB
 |+* Re: The podcast industryPamela
 ||+* Re: The podcast industryBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
 |||`* Re: The podcast industryPamela
 ||| `* Re: The podcast industryJim Lesurf
 |||  `* Re: The podcast industryPamela
 |||   +* Re: The podcast industryJ. P. Gilliver (John)
 |||   |+* Re: The podcast industryRobin
 |||   ||`- Re: The podcast industryJ. P. Gilliver (John)
 |||   |+* Re: The podcast industryPamela
 |||   ||+- Re: The podcast industryPamela
 |||   ||+* Re: The podcast industryJ. P. Gilliver (John)
 |||   |||`* Re: The podcast industryPamela
 |||   ||| +* Re: The podcast industryJim Lesurf
 |||   ||| |`* VLC (was: Re: The podcast industry)J. P. Gilliver (John)
 |||   ||| | `* Re: VLC (was: Re: The podcast industry)Jim Lesurf
 |||   ||| |  `* Re: VLC (was: Re: The podcast industry)J. P. Gilliver (John)
 |||   ||| |   `- Re: VLC (was: Re: The podcast industry)Jim Lesurf
 |||   ||| `- VLC (was: Re: The podcast industry)J. P. Gilliver (John)
 |||   ||`- Re: The podcast industryJim Lesurf
 |||   |`* Re: The podcast industryJim Lesurf
 |||   | `* Re: The podcast industryJ. P. Gilliver (John)
 |||   |  +* Re: The podcast industryJim Lesurf
 |||   |  |`* Re: The podcast industryJ. P. Gilliver (John)
 |||   |  | `- Re: The podcast industryJohn Williamson
 |||   |  +- Re: The podcast industryJim Lesurf
 |||   |  `* Re: The podcast industryPamela
 |||   |   `- Re: The podcast industryJim Lesurf
 |||   +- Re: The podcast industryJim Lesurf
 |||   `- Re: The podcast industryJim Lesurf
 ||`- Re: The podcast industryJim Lesurf
 |+- Re: The podcast industryBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
 |+* Re: The podcast industryAndy Burns
 ||`* Re: The podcast industryMax Demian
 || `- Re: The podcast industryBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
 |`* Re: The podcast industryJim Lesurf
 | `* Re: The podcast industryJava Jive
 |  `- Re: The podcast industryBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
 `- Re: The podcast industryJim Lesurf

Pages:12
The podcast industry

<XnsAE389E92B604737B93@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31874&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31874

From: pamela.p...@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: The podcast industry
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2022 15:35:18 GMT
 by: Pamela - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 15:35 UTC

Some radio stations, such as LBC, put old programmes as a podcast.
These can be streamed from various podcast outlets with apps like
Spotify, Pocket Casts, Amazon Music, Apple Podcasts, etc.

Where do the podcast outlets obtain their podcasts from? Is there a
central clearing place which a podcaster like LBC uploads its podcast
to and then the streaming companies take a copy? Alternatively, does
LBC upload to each individual podcast streaming outlet separately?

Do the competing "big player" podcast outlets have broadly similar
catalogues or would a listener need several different apps to track
down a particular podcast?

Re: The podcast industry

<stvret$mmn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31884&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31884

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Re: The podcast industry
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 07:45:30 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 07:45 UTC

It used to be so simple. You put up your file then did an rss link to it and
sent it to google, or had feedburner look at the rss and keep a master list.
Then Goggle withdrew the service and the whole thing became a mess. Apple
tend to do a directory, but they prefer it in their format, not rss and that
enables them to use DRM.
Now the big players all tend to have a chargeable podcast tier and even
attach adverts to the free stuff to make money. Now I know that everyone has
to fund a bit of web space, bandwidth etc, but it is beginning to look like
the one man band podcast days are numbered now. I tend these days to say,
if its not got an rss feed then get stuffed.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Pamela" <pamela.private.mailbox@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Some radio stations, such as LBC, put old programmes as a podcast.
> These can be streamed from various podcast outlets with apps like
> Spotify, Pocket Casts, Amazon Music, Apple Podcasts, etc.
>
> Where do the podcast outlets obtain their podcasts from? Is there a
> central clearing place which a podcaster like LBC uploads its podcast
> to and then the streaming companies take a copy? Alternatively, does
> LBC upload to each individual podcast streaming outlet separately?
>
> Do the competing "big player" podcast outlets have broadly similar
> catalogues or would a listener need several different apps to track
> down a particular podcast?

Re: The podcast industry

<XnsAE3973447915837B93@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31888&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31888

From: pamela.p...@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 11:19:52 GMT
 by: Pamela - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 11:19 UTC

On 07:45 9 Feb 2022, Brian Gaff (Sofa) said:

> It used to be so simple. You put up your file then did an rss link to
> it and sent it to google, or had feedburner look at the rss and keep
> a master list. Then Goggle withdrew the service and the whole thing
> became a mess. Apple tend to do a directory, but they prefer it in
> their format, not rss and that enables them to use DRM.
>
> Now the big players all tend to have a chargeable podcast tier and
> even attach adverts to the free stuff to make money. Now I know that
> everyone has to fund a bit of web space, bandwidth etc, but it is
> beginning to look like the one man band podcast days are numbered
> now. I tend these days to say, if its not got an rss feed then get
> stuffed.
> Brian

Thanks for the info. I hadn't realised Google had run that service. I'd
been looking at how the how the podcasting industry works in the present
(distribution, lack of royalties, catalogues, main players, etc) but the
history seems important. Wikipedia has an entry on this.

Re: The podcast industry

<qNidnYfGI4smNp7_nZ2dnUU7-d3NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31889&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31889

Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 11:55:41 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
 by: Max Demian - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 11:55 UTC

On 09/02/2022 07:45, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

> It used to be so simple. You put up your file then did an rss link to it and
> sent it to google, or had feedburner look at the rss and keep a master list.
> Then Goggle withdrew the service and the whole thing became a mess. Apple
> tend to do a directory, but they prefer it in their format, not rss and that
> enables them to use DRM.
> Now the big players all tend to have a chargeable podcast tier and even
> attach adverts to the free stuff to make money. Now I know that everyone has
> to fund a bit of web space, bandwidth etc, but it is beginning to look like
> the one man band podcast days are numbered now. I tend these days to say,
> if its not got an rss feed then get stuffed.

It's quite difficult to find a BBC podcast on the BBC site. (The search
box searches the whole BBC site.) They keep pushing you to the BBC
Sounds app even if all you want is information about the programme, and
they don't properly distinguish between programmes which are podcasts
and those that aren't. It's also difficult to find the RSS feed address
to put into a third party podcatcher such as Podcast Addict.

--
Max Demian

Re: The podcast industry

<su0bhq$91b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31891&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31891

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 12:20:10 +0000
 by: MB - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 12:20 UTC

On 09/02/2022 11:55, Max Demian wrote:
> It's quite difficult to find a BBC podcast on the BBC site. (The search
> box searches the whole BBC site.) They keep pushing you to the BBC
> Sounds app even if all you want is information about the programme, and
> they don't properly distinguish between programmes which are podcasts
> and those that aren't. It's also difficult to find the RSS feed address
> to put into a third party podcatcher such as Podcast Addict.

That applies to find anything on the BBC website, the search system is
too crude and difficult to target the search precisely.

Re: The podcast industry

<XnsAE39C9F11F60337B93@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31897&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31897

From: pamela.p...@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 19:51:06 GMT
 by: Pamela - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 19:51 UTC

On 11:55 9 Feb 2022, Max Demian said:

> On 09/02/2022 07:45, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
>
>> It used to be so simple. You put up your file then did an rss link
>> to it and sent it to google, or had feedburner look at the rss and
>> keep a master list. Then Goggle withdrew the service and the whole
>> thing became a mess. Apple tend to do a directory, but they prefer
>> it in their format, not rss and that enables them to use DRM.
>>
>> Now the big players all tend to have a chargeable podcast tier and
>> even attach adverts to the free stuff to make money. Now I know that
>> everyone has to fund a bit of web space, bandwidth etc, but it is
>> beginning to look like the one man band podcast days are numbered
>> now. I tend these days to say, if its not got an rss feed then get
>> stuffed.
>
> It's quite difficult to find a BBC podcast on the BBC site. (The
> search box searches the whole BBC site.) They keep pushing you to the
> BBC Sounds app even if all you want is information about the
> programme, and they don't properly distinguish between programmes
> which are podcasts and those that aren't. It's also difficult to find
> the RSS feed address to put into a third party podcatcher such as
> Podcast Addict.

To complicate matters, programmes like Radio 4's "More of Less" are split
into chunks of 7 or 8 minutes on the Sounds app, while the full programme
is a bit hidden. I seem to recall subscribing to chunks does not also
subscribe you to the full programme.

It's not really as straighforward as I would like especially as the web
site has not one but two pages for such a programme and it offers various
different clips to the Sounds app.

I asked about the two web pages for programmes a couple of weeks ago in
uk.tech.digital-tv. ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qshd

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/p02nrss1

Re: The podcast industry

<su2g0j$ajg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31906&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31906

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 07:48:30 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 07:48 UTC

Yes that is very true. Indeed the one on In Touch is the only one I seem to
be able to find relatively easily, and many so called podcasts are not,
they are simply either files to download or play in an on line
player.Stitcher are a pain as are Spotify.
The rather oddly named ami podcasts, Accessible media inc, is anything but
accessible as you cannot actually find the feed quite often. There is a
podcast on there called Shawn of the shed that is for blind people starting
out on line, and yet actually finding the files in any form you can download
them seems to need a PhD in computer science.

"Max Demian" <max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> On 09/02/2022 07:45, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
>
>> It used to be so simple. You put up your file then did an rss link to it
>> and
>> sent it to google, or had feedburner look at the rss and keep a master
>> list.
>> Then Goggle withdrew the service and the whole thing became a mess. Apple
>> tend to do a directory, but they prefer it in their format, not rss and
>> that
>> enables them to use DRM.
>> Now the big players all tend to have a chargeable podcast tier and even
>> attach adverts to the free stuff to make money. Now I know that everyone
>> has
>> to fund a bit of web space, bandwidth etc, but it is beginning to look
>> like
>> the one man band podcast days are numbered now. I tend these days to
>> say,
>> if its not got an rss feed then get stuffed.
>
> It's quite difficult to find a BBC podcast on the BBC site. (The search
> box searches the whole BBC site.) They keep pushing you to the BBC Sounds
> app even if all you want is information about the programme, and they
> don't properly distinguish between programmes which are podcasts and those
> that aren't. It's also difficult to find the RSS feed address to put into
> a third party podcatcher such as Podcast Addict.
>
> --
> Max Demian

Re: The podcast industry

<su2g8r$c1t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31907&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31907

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 07:52:55 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 07:52 UTC

I had the opposite issue, I wanted meet the leader on bbc radio London.
Found the file OK it said it ran for 35mins or some such, but after I got it
it was the whole morning show, several hours in length and I had to shove it
into a sound editor and find the bit I needed,cutting the rest out.
Bah humbug.

> On 11:55 9 Feb 2022, Max Demian said:
>
>> On 09/02/2022 07:45, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
>>
>>> It used to be so simple. You put up your file then did an rss link
>>> to it and sent it to google, or had feedburner look at the rss and
>>> keep a master list. Then Goggle withdrew the service and the whole
>>> thing became a mess. Apple tend to do a directory, but they prefer
>>> it in their format, not rss and that enables them to use DRM.
>>>
>>> Now the big players all tend to have a chargeable podcast tier and
>>> even attach adverts to the free stuff to make money. Now I know that
>>> everyone has to fund a bit of web space, bandwidth etc, but it is
>>> beginning to look like the one man band podcast days are numbered
>>> now. I tend these days to say, if its not got an rss feed then get
>>> stuffed.
>>
>> It's quite difficult to find a BBC podcast on the BBC site. (The
>> search box searches the whole BBC site.) They keep pushing you to the
>> BBC Sounds app even if all you want is information about the
>> programme, and they don't properly distinguish between programmes
>> which are podcasts and those that aren't. It's also difficult to find
>> the RSS feed address to put into a third party podcatcher such as
>> Podcast Addict.
>
> To complicate matters, programmes like Radio 4's "More of Less" are split
> into chunks of 7 or 8 minutes on the Sounds app, while the full programme
> is a bit hidden. I seem to recall subscribing to chunks does not also
> subscribe you to the full programme.
>
> It's not really as straighforward as I would like especially as the web
> site has not one but two pages for such a programme and it offers various
> different clips to the Sounds app.
>
> I asked about the two web pages for programmes a couple of weeks ago in
> uk.tech.digital-tv. ...
>
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qshd
>
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/p02nrss1

Re: The podcast industry

<XnsAE3A5D99E30AF37B93@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31908&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31908

From: pamela.p...@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 09:12:04 GMT
 by: Pamela - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 09:12 UTC

On 07:52 10 Feb 2022, Brian Gaff (Sofa) said:

> I had the opposite issue, I wanted meet the leader on bbc radio
> London. Found the file OK it said it ran for 35mins or some such, but
> after I got it it was the whole morning show, several hours in length
> and I had to shove it into a sound editor and find the bit I
> needed,cutting the rest out.
>
> Bah humbug.
> Brian

I don't have the option of downloading the programme audio file because I
listen to the BBC almost exclusively on the Sounds app. This brings up
another difficulty which is its poor navigation through a programme.

For example the time markings on the slider are in very small type, when
the slider is used it doesn't display the time of where you are, the
buttons provided offer only 20 second skips, and more. It would be
relatively straightforward to design a less constrained interface. Similar
screen controls are found in several other music/podcast players which
seems to show a lack of imagination.

However I mustn't look a gift horse in the mouth because streaming BBC
programmes is really useful and I'm grateful for it.

By the way, how do the BBC's servers handle all the demands made by
thousands (if not millions) of listeners starting at different points in
their chosen programme and skipping about. There must be a lot of traffic
to service all the requests. I'm sure caches somewhere along the route
help out but it still seems quite a lot of traffic and the BBC handles it
almost faultlessly.

Re: The podcast industry

<59b7ff837fnoise@audiomisc.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31911&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31911

From: noi...@audiomisc.co.uk (Jim Lesurf)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 10:17:38 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Jim Lesurf - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 10:17 UTC

FWIW personally I'd be more attacted to making any such content available
via a suitable AV file people can download and then access. That's easy
enough to set up if you have some space online - or can set up something on
your home system so the file(s) are public without compromising the rest of
your home system/data.

But then I don't want people like YT, google, etc, making money off the
back of my work. Or using it to get the personal data of others.

Sadly, a few big companies have largely monopolised and monitised this sort
of area, in the process being willing to promote crap and disinformation
for their own profit.

That said, I doubt anyone sane would want to watch/hear me in a 'podcast'.
So I cannae be bothered. :-)

Jim

In article <stvret$mmn$1@dont-email.me>, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
<briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> It used to be so simple. You put up your file then did an rss link to it
> and sent it to google, or had feedburner look at the rss and keep a
> master list. Then Goggle withdrew the service and the whole thing became
> a mess. Apple tend to do a directory, but they prefer it in their
> format, not rss and that enables them to use DRM. Now the big players
> all tend to have a chargeable podcast tier and even attach adverts to
> the free stuff to make money. Now I know that everyone has to fund a bit
> of web space, bandwidth etc, but it is beginning to look like the one
> man band podcast days are numbered now. I tend these days to say, if
> its not got an rss feed then get stuffed. Brian

Electronics https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm

Re: The podcast industry

<59b8854ec6noise@audiomisc.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31912&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31912

From: noi...@audiomisc.co.uk (Jim Lesurf)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 10:38:58 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Jim Lesurf - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 10:38 UTC

In article <XnsAE3A5D99E30AF37B93@144.76.35.252>, Pamela
<pamela.private.mailbox@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't have the option of downloading the programme audio file because
> I listen to the BBC almost exclusively on the Sounds app. This brings
> up another difficulty which is its poor navigation through a programme.

What type of 'device'/computer are you using?

I find that get-iplayer works nicely and gives me 320k aac files which may
sound better than lower formats. get-iplayer runs on various OSs. Works for
BBC 'podcast' files as well as sheduled ones.

> For example the time markings on the slider are in very small type, when
> the slider is used it doesn't display the time of where you are, the
> buttons provided offer only 20 second skips, and more. It would be
> relatively straightforward to design a less constrained interface.
> Similar screen controls are found in several other music/podcast
> players which seems to show a lack of imagination.

I just use VLC (or Audacity on Linux for audio). Again, the question is wrt
your choice of device/computer, but VLC runs on various OSs.

> However I mustn't look a gift horse in the mouth because streaming BBC
> programmes is really useful and I'm grateful for it.

> By the way, how do the BBC's servers handle all the demands made by
> thousands (if not millions) of listeners starting at different points in
> their chosen programme and skipping about. There must be a lot of
> traffic to service all the requests. I'm sure caches somewhere along
> the route help out but it still seems quite a lot of traffic and the
> BBC handles it almost faultlessly.

They use some 'content delivery network' (CDN) services that keep copies of
their files in various machines around the country. This means you can have
many servers providing the material. If you wish, get-iplayer will let you
decide which delivery supplier to use (or ignore) if they vary. And the
BBC's own servers can then palm off a lot of the loading to the other CDNs.
Means the system can be scaled up or down by the BBC without the BBC having
to buy more hardware or bin it, or change their own staff involved.

FWIW This may give the general idea
http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/BBC/AudioFactory/AudioFactory.html
but it is now out of date in some ways. Maybe time I did a new version,
however it gives the general idea. Note that 'Flash' is now an unloved
memory we don't regret having cease! It was a PITA.

Jim

Electronics https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm

Re: The podcast industry

<59b885853anoise@audiomisc.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31913&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31913

From: noi...@audiomisc.co.uk (Jim Lesurf)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 10:41:16 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Jim Lesurf - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 10:41 UTC

In article <XnsAE39C9F11F60337B93@144.76.35.252>, Pamela
<pamela.private.mailbox@gmail.com> wrote:
> To complicate matters, programmes like Radio 4's "More of Less" are
> split into chunks of 7 or 8 minutes on the Sounds app, while the full
> programme is a bit hidden. I seem to recall subscribing to chunks does
> not also subscribe you to the full programme.

The short WS/podcast examples might sometimes contain info not in the R4
'broadcasts' because they were on the WS while the programme wasn't on R4.
But it is a tad confusing given how many examples there are! Excellent
info, though.

Jim

Electronics https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm

Re: The podcast industry

<j6kgduFh1kU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31916&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31916

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 12:57:33 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 12:57 UTC

Max Demian wrote:

> It's quite difficult to find a BBC podcast on the BBC site. (The search box
> searches the whole BBC site.) They keep pushing you to the BBC Sounds app

Because the BBC are obsessed with gathering audience statistics, to the point
they remove their podcasts from other platforms (likely shrinking the potential
audience).

Re: The podcast industry

<4oqdna3zOoGL35j_nZ2dnUU7-d2dnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31920&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31920

Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 16:49:26 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
 by: Max Demian - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 16:49 UTC

On 10/02/2022 12:57, Andy Burns wrote:
> Max Demian wrote:
>
>> It's quite difficult to find a BBC podcast on the BBC site. (The
>> search box searches the whole BBC site.) They keep pushing you to the
>> BBC Sounds app
>
> Because the BBC are obsessed with gathering audience statistics, to the
> point they remove their podcasts from other platforms (likely shrinking
> the potential audience).

If I subscribe to the podcast on another app it would still show up as a
stream/download as it comes from the BBC server. I just need to know
what the address is.

--
Max Demian

Re: The podcast industry

<su5c1k$a6c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31924&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31924

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 09:59:11 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 09:59 UTC

Well, the alexa skill radio player obviously knows what it is, since alexa
ask radio player to play radio Solent starts it without bbc sounds jingle,
but it does have the drawback that some content does not go onto it for
rights reasons, mostly foot ball.

> On 10/02/2022 12:57, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Max Demian wrote:
>>
>>> It's quite difficult to find a BBC podcast on the BBC site. (The search
>>> box searches the whole BBC site.) They keep pushing you to the BBC
>>> Sounds app
>>
>> Because the BBC are obsessed with gathering audience statistics, to the
>> point they remove their podcasts from other platforms (likely shrinking
>> the potential audience).
>
> If I subscribe to the podcast on another app it would still show up as a
> stream/download as it comes from the BBC server. I just need to know what
> the address is.
>
> --
> Max Demian

Re: The podcast industry

<59b908a4cfnoise@audiomisc.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31930&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31930

From: noi...@audiomisc.co.uk (Jim Lesurf)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 10:33:30 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Jim Lesurf - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 10:33 UTC

In article <qNidnYfGI4smNp7_nZ2dnUU7-d3NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, Max
Demian
<max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> It's quite difficult to find a BBC podcast on the BBC site. (The search
> box searches the whole BBC site.) They keep pushing you to the BBC
> Sounds app even if all you want is information about the programme, and
> they don't properly distinguish between programmes which are podcasts
> and those that aren't.

I need to listen again in case I misheard. However this morning I was
listening to the version of a recent "Inside Science" that I'd fetched with
get-iplayer. Used the pid from the relevant day's radio schedule page. This
often gets an extended version, presumably as podcast. This time the
programme seemed to start with statement that in future Inside Science
would appear via 'Sounds' *28 days before being broadcast*.

i.e. if you use ye olde radio or - by implication - listen to the version
from the broadcast shedules on the web - you get what was available 28 days
earlier via Zounds! i.e. an enforced delay.

Need to check this, I was making breakfast at the time so may have
misheard. But it seems really weird given that the point of the programme
is to keep listeners up to date with recent developments in science. Bit
like deciding to delay the News broadcasts on TV for a month to push people
to use the net!

Irony is that I tend to run a week or two late in listening to these things
anyway! But if correct it still seems a weird decision driven by an
obsession with pushing Zounds!

Jim

Electronics https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm

Re: The podcast industry

<XnsAE3B875BC6CF037B93@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31931&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31931

From: pamela.p...@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 13:18:22 GMT
 by: Pamela - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 13:18 UTC

On 10:38 10 Feb 2022, Jim Lesurf said:

> In article <XnsAE3A5D99E30AF37B93@144.76.35.252>, Pamela
> <pamela.private.mailbox@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't have the option of downloading the programme audio file
>> because I listen to the BBC almost exclusively on the Sounds app.
>> This brings up another difficulty which is its poor navigation
>> through a programme.
>
> What type of 'device'/computer are you using?
>
> I find that get-iplayer works nicely and gives me 320k aac files
> which may sound better than lower formats. get-iplayer runs on
> various OSs. Works for BBC 'podcast' files as well as sheduled ones.
>
>> For example the time markings on the slider are in very small type,
>> when the slider is used it doesn't display the time of where you
>> are, the buttons provided offer only 20 second skips, and more. It
>> would be relatively straightforward to design a less constrained
>> interface. Similar screen controls are found in several other
>> music/podcast players which seems to show a lack of imagination.
>
> I just use VLC (or Audacity on Linux for audio). Again, the question
> is wrt your choice of device/computer, but VLC runs on various OSs.
>

>> However I mustn't look a gift horse in the mouth because streaming
>> BBC programmes is really useful and I'm grateful for it.
>
>> By the way, how do the BBC's servers handle all the demands made by
>> thousands (if not millions) of listeners starting at different
>> points in their chosen programme and skipping about. There must be a
>> lot of traffic to service all the requests. I'm sure caches
>> somewhere along the route help out but it still seems quite a lot of
>> traffic and the BBC handles it almost faultlessly.
>
> They use some 'content delivery network' (CDN) services that keep
> copies of their files in various machines around the country. This
> means you can have many servers providing the material. If you wish,
> get-iplayer will let you decide which delivery supplier to use (or
> ignore) if they vary. And the BBC's own servers can then palm off a
> lot of the loading to the other CDNs. Means the system can be scaled
> up or down by the BBC without the BBC having to buy more hardware or
> bin it, or change their own staff involved.
>
> FWIW This may give the general idea
> http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/BBC/AudioFactory/AudioFactory.html
> but it is now out of date in some ways. Maybe time I did a new
> version, however it gives the general idea. Note that 'Flash' is now
> an unloved memory we don't regret having cease! It was a PITA.
>
> Jim

Downloading audio or multimedia files with Get-iplayer is a bit too fiddly
for me and the controls for skipping through such a file in VLC (skip
forward or back and goto) aren't that much better compared to the BBC
Sounds App.

I've opted to play BBC Sounds on my Android smartphone carried around the
house. I can call up old BBC radio programmes on Sounds or I can "live
rewind" a live broadcast. Unfortunately I can't feed Android Sounds
output wirelessly into the wi-fi speakers, so they get used for playing
live radio in the background.

It's crazy because most rooms I'm in during the day have a Sonos speaker
and also an Amazon Echo speaker and some have the two together, yet I use
the squawky transducer in my Android phone because it provides programme
skip backs and easy selection.

Thanks for the Audio Factory link. I hadn't realised you were HiFi News
aristocracy! The AF seems for input feeds although it involves some
rationalisation of output stream types. You also mentioned a "content
delivery network" service which is probably what I am asking about.
Playing BBC radio through Sounds has remarkably little latency and the
listener can then skip about the programme with little buffering delay.
It's works rather well.

So I'm impressed a CDN can handle so much traffic and in near real-time.
If 100 listeners all started the same audio programme and then each
skipped to a different part of it, there could be 100 times the traffic
unless there is some clever caching going on in the network and, depending
of the exact situation, even that may not reduce total traffic much. There
must be some interesting network balancing going on.

Netflix takes approx 35% of all internet capacity at peak viewing times.
Although data rates for audio are less than a tenth for those of video,
audio traffic must still add up and each skip back is more or less a new
stream. I guess music providers such as Spotify have exactly the same
considerations to make.

Re: The podcast industry

<dpW3dTjxYmBiFwbk@a.a>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31932&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31932

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 13:35:45 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 13:35 UTC

On Fri, 11 Feb 2022 at 13:18:22, Pamela
<pamela.private.mailbox@gmail.com> wrote (my responses usually follow
points raised):
[]
>Downloading audio or multimedia files with Get-iplayer is a bit too fiddly

Me too; I find youtube-dl (and now yt-dlp) much easier. [Unfortunate
name: people assume they're only for YouTube. I've very rarely found a
webpage with a video on it that it won't fetch, regardless of site.]

>for me and the controls for skipping through such a file in VLC (skip
>forward or back and goto) aren't that much better compared to the BBC
>Sounds App.

Hmm, I find them OK - left, right, and shift-left and shift-right for
smaller jumps. (And IIRR you can set how long those jumps are, but I'
not sure about that.) Out of curiosity, what more do you want of a
player (than back, forward, and goto)?
[]
>So I'm impressed a CDN can handle so much traffic and in near real-time.
>If 100 listeners all started the same audio programme and then each
>skipped to a different part of it, there could be 100 times the traffic
>unless there is some clever caching going on in the network and, depending
>of the exact situation, even that may not reduce total traffic much. There
>must be some interesting network balancing going on.

Indeed!

>Netflix takes approx 35% of all internet capacity at peak viewing times.

That's quite a startling statistic! You'd think _they_ would benefit
from some regional cacheing, if that's the case.
[]

A biochemist walks into a student bar and says to the barman: "I'd like a pint
of adenosine triphosphate, please." "Certainly," says the barman, "that'll be
ATP." (Quoted in) The Independent, 2013-7-13

Re: The podcast industry

<e350d14e-468f-6d26-a5ef-052286f2a3fe@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31933&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31933

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 13:49:09 +0000
 by: Robin - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 13:49 UTC

On 11/02/2022 13:35, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
<snip>

>> Netflix takes approx 35% of all internet capacity at peak viewing times.
>
> That's quite a startling statistic! You'd think _they_ would benefit
> from some regional cacheing, if that's the case.

Netflix embed hardware in ISPs.

https://openconnect.netflix.com/en/

--
Robin

Re: The podcast industry

<gYBoh2mu8mBiFwfH@a.a>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31935&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31935

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 14:14:06 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 14:14 UTC

On Fri, 11 Feb 2022 at 13:49:09, Robin <rbw@outlook.com> wrote (my
>On 11/02/2022 13:35, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
><snip>
>>>
>>> Netflix takes approx 35% of all internet capacity at peak viewing times.
>> That's quite a startling statistic! You'd think _they_ would benefit
>>from some regional cacheing, if that's the case.
>

>Netflix embed hardware in ISPs.
>
>https://openconnect.netflix.com/en/

Thanks; interesting. Of course, it requires ISPs themselves to also be
"localizing"; some years ago I expressed the opinion that doing such for
popular content would substantially reduce traffic, but at that time the
general consensus was that it wasn't worth it. Though now the rise of
content of the Netflix type where lots of people nation-wide will be
accessing substantially the same content, which perhaps wasn't the case
when I first thought about it) has presumably changed matters.

People worry that computers will get too smart and take over the world, but
the real problem is that they're too stupid and they've already taken over the
world (Pedro Domingos, quoted by Wolf K in alt.windows7.general 2018-12-10)

Re: The podcast industry

<su6h6r$oa6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31940&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31940

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 20:33:28 +0000
 by: Java Jive - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 20:33 UTC

On 11/02/2022 10:33, Jim Lesurf wrote:

> In article <qNidnYfGI4smNp7_nZ2dnUU7-d3NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, Max
> Demian
> <max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
> I need to listen again in case I misheard. However this morning I was
> listening to the version of a recent "Inside Science" that I'd fetched with
> get-iplayer. Used the pid from the relevant day's radio schedule page. This
> often gets an extended version, presumably as podcast. This time the
> programme seemed to start with statement that in future Inside Science
> would appear via 'Sounds' *28 days before being broadcast*.

Yes, you heard correctly, crazy if you ask me, as you say, it'll be like
listening to the news from a month ago.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: The podcast industry

<XnsAE3BE84BCE05C37B93@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31941&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31941

From: pamela.p...@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 22:50:08 GMT
 by: Pamela - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 22:50 UTC

On 13:35 11 Feb 2022, J. P. Gilliver (John) said:

> On Fri, 11 Feb 2022 at 13:18:22, Pamela
> <pamela.private.mailbox@gmail.com> wrote (my responses usually follow
> points raised):
> []
>>Downloading audio or multimedia files with Get-iplayer is a bit too
>>fiddly
>
> Me too; I find youtube-dl (and now yt-dlp) much easier. [Unfortunate
> name: people assume they're only for YouTube. I've very rarely found
> a webpage with a video on it that it won't fetch, regardless of
> site.]
>
>>for me and the controls for skipping through such a file in VLC (skip
>>forward or back and goto) aren't that much better compared to the BBC
>>Sounds App.
>
> Hmm, I find them OK - left, right, and shift-left and shift-right for
> smaller jumps. (And IIRR you can set how long those jumps are, but I'
> not sure about that.) Out of curiosity, what more do you want of a
> player (than back, forward, and goto)?

On my PC multimedia player (Gom) I can skip fowards in three user-defined
steps such as 15 secs, 2 minutes, 10 minutes with a single key depression,
which is very useful. Backwards too. Very useful for short and long
videos.

Re: The podcast industry

<XnsAE3BE98C4C34237B93@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31942&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31942

From: pamela.p...@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 22:57:31 GMT
 by: Pamela - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 22:57 UTC

On 22:50 11 Feb 2022, Pamela said:

> On 13:35 11 Feb 2022, J. P. Gilliver (John) said:
>
>> On Fri, 11 Feb 2022 at 13:18:22, Pamela
>> <pamela.private.mailbox@gmail.com> wrote (my responses usually
>> follow points raised): []
>>>Downloading audio or multimedia files with Get-iplayer is a bit too
>>>fiddly
>>
>> Me too; I find youtube-dl (and now yt-dlp) much easier. [Unfortunate
>> name: people assume they're only for YouTube. I've very rarely found
>> a webpage with a video on it that it won't fetch, regardless of
>> site.]
>>
>>>for me and the controls for skipping through such a file in VLC
>>>(skip forward or back and goto) aren't that much better compared to
>>>the BBC Sounds App.
>>
>> Hmm, I find them OK - left, right, and shift-left and shift-right
>> for smaller jumps. (And IIRR you can set how long those jumps are,
>> but I' not sure about that.) Out of curiosity, what more do you want
>> of a player (than back, forward, and goto)?
>
> On my PC multimedia player (Gom) I can skip fowards in three
> user-defined steps such as 15 secs, 2 minutes, 10 minutes with a
> single key depression, which is very useful. Backwards too. Very
> useful for short and long videos.

I just discovered BBC Sounds has recently been migrated onto the Sonos
app, which seems great until you realise it has no ability to skip at all.
It hs only a position slider and with poor "handle-ability". Imagine
using that to navigate from one 5 minute topic to the next on Radio 4's
Today programme which is 3 hours long.

Re: The podcast industry

<kVP5CJyW3uBiFw$k@a.a>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31943&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31943

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 23:14:30 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 23:14 UTC

On Fri, 11 Feb 2022 at 22:50:08, Pamela
<pamela.private.mailbox@gmail.com> wrote (my responses usually follow
points raised):
>On 13:35 11 Feb 2022, J. P. Gilliver (John) said:
>
>> On Fri, 11 Feb 2022 at 13:18:22, Pamela
>> <pamela.private.mailbox@gmail.com> wrote (my responses usually follow
>> points raised):
[]
>>>for me and the controls for skipping through such a file in VLC (skip
>>>forward or back and goto) aren't that much better compared to the BBC
>>>Sounds App.
>>
>> Hmm, I find them OK - left, right, and shift-left and shift-right for
>> smaller jumps. (And IIRR you can set how long those jumps are, but I'
>> not sure about that.) Out of curiosity, what more do you want of a
>> player (than back, forward, and goto)?
>
>On my PC multimedia player (Gom) I can skip fowards in three user-defined
>steps such as 15 secs, 2 minutes, 10 minutes with a single key depression,
>which is very useful. Backwards too. Very useful for short and long
>videos.

For VLC (I have 3.0.11):
Very short backwards/forwards jump: Shift+Left/Right
Short: Alt+Left/Right
Medium: Ctrl+Left/Right
Long: Ctrl+Alt+Left/Right

as well as Left/Right on their own (which repeat if you hold them down).

The distances jumped are settable - mine are set to (I think the
defaults):
Very short 3
Short 10
Medium 60
Long 300 (seconds I presume)

How could you be expected to know that picnics were originally held indoors,
or that a slow loris has poisonous elbows?
- Sandi Toksvig on QI, in RT 2018/9/15-21

Re: The podcast industry

<XnsAE3C6D32254E737B93@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31944&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#31944

From: pamela.p...@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 10:44:03 GMT
 by: Pamela - Sat, 12 Feb 2022 10:44 UTC

On 23:14 11 Feb 2022, J. P. Gilliver (John) said:

> On Fri, 11 Feb 2022 at 22:50:08, Pamela
> <pamela.private.mailbox@gmail.com> wrote (my responses usually follow
> points raised):
>>On 13:35 11 Feb 2022, J. P. Gilliver (John) said:
>>
>>> On Fri, 11 Feb 2022 at 13:18:22, Pamela
>>> <pamela.private.mailbox@gmail.com> wrote (my responses usually
>>> follow points raised):
> []
>>>
>>> Hmm, I find them OK - left, right, and shift-left and shift-right
>>> for smaller jumps. (And IIRR you can set how long those jumps are,
>>> but I' not sure about that.) Out of curiosity, what more do you
>>> want of a player (than back, forward, and goto)?
>>
>>On my PC multimedia player (Gom) I can skip fowards in three
>>user-defined steps such as 15 secs, 2 minutes, 10 minutes with a
>>single key depression, which is very useful. Backwards too. Very
>>useful for short and long videos.
>>
> For VLC (I have 3.0.11):
> Very short backwards/forwards jump: Shift+Left/Right
> Short: Alt+Left/Right
> Medium: Ctrl+Left/Right
> Long: Ctrl+Alt+Left/Right
>
> as well as Left/Right on their own (which repeat if you hold them
> down).
>
> The distances jumped are settable - mine are set to (I think the
> defaults):
> Very short 3
> Short 10
> Medium 60
> Long 300 (seconds I presume)

I have VLC version 3.0.16 and was referring to the three entries in the
"Playback" menu. I tried what you posted and the skips work. Thank you
very much for taking the trouble.

I can see I should use VLC more. I have had VLC for over a decade but
use it mainly to play "awkward" videos my ther video players can't
handle. I Its interface is less friendly than all my other players and,
for that reason, I tend not to use it.