Money is truthful. If a man speaks of his honor, make him pay cash. -- Lazarus Long

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Crash driver jailed for telling wife in Punjabi to lie to police, Leeds Crown Court told

SubjectAuthor
* Crash driver jailed for telling wife in Punjabi to lie to police, Leeds Crown CoSimon Mason
+- Re: Crash driver jailed for telling wife in Punjabi to lie to police,JNugent
+* Re: Crash driver jailed for telling wife in Punjabi to lie to police,Simon Mason
|`- Re: Crash driver jailed for telling wife in Punjabi to lie to police,JNugent
+* Re: Crash driver jailed for telling wife in Punjabi to lie to police, Leeds CrowSimon Mason
|+- Re: Crash driver jailed for telling wife in Punjabi to lie to police,JNugent
|`- Re: Crash driver jailed for telling wife in Punjabi to lieSpike
+* Re: Crash driver jailed for telling wife in Punjabi to lie to police,Simon Mason
|`- Re: Crash driver jailed for telling wife in Punjabi to lieSpike
+- Re: Crash driver jailed for telling wife in Punjabi to lieSpike
`- Re: Crash driver jailed for telling wife in Punjabi to lie to police,Simon Mason

1
Crash driver jailed for telling wife in Punjabi to lie to police, Leeds Crown Court told

<3c959a0e-2e61-477f-b610-07c296c908ben@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31831&group=uk.rec.cycling#31831

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 00:21:35 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Crash driver jailed for telling wife in Punjabi to lie to police, Leeds Crown Court told
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 07:21 UTC

A suspected drink driver who smashed into a wall and parked cars and then ordered his wife in Punjabi to lie to police has been jailed.

Officers had footage from their body-worn cameras translated after Zahir Hussain pleaded with his passenger to tell officers he had not been driving while he was being led away.

The 48-year-old eventually admitted a charge of attempting to pervert the course of justice, but only after he denied the offence, then tried to get the case dismissed before attempting to blame his son, claiming it he who was driving.

Prosecuting the case at Leeds Crown Court, Bashir Ahmed said that Hussain’s Ford Capri collided with a garden wall and parked cars on Church Street in Ossett, Wakefield, at around 10.35pm on October 2 last year.

He then drove off again and almost collided with a police van head on.

They turned to follow him and found the car a short distance away with Hussain crouched beside it and his estranged wife still sat in the passenger seat.

He failed a breath test and was arrested.

He then began shouting to his wife in the hope the officers would not be able to understand him.

When he reached the police station he refused to take another test to determine exactly how much he had drunk.

He then “gave a false account” during his interview, Mr Ahmed said, reiterating he was not the driver.

Hussain, of Picklesfield, Batley, has four previous convictions for six offences.

Mitigating, Nicholas Hammond said Hussain had come to court “prepared for immediate custody” after accepting that he was the driver.

The judge, Recorder Ray Singh, told him: “You were clearly driving after you had consumed too much alcohol. You said you ‘had a few whiskies’.

"On at least four occasions you put your wife in a position of jeopardy by asking her to lie on your behalf.

"Only the due diligence of officers that had the footage translated that showed the deceit.

“It was a concerted effort and you blamed you own son for this offence.

"Anyone who perverts the course of justice attracts an immediate custodial sentence, and nothing I have heard allows me to depart from that.”

He jailed Hussain for 21 weeks.

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/crime/crash-driver-jailed-for-telling-wife-in-punjabi-to-lie-to-police-leeds-crown-court-told-3852941

Re: Crash driver jailed for telling wife in Punjabi to lie to police, Leeds Crown Court told

<kpn4q9Fd0svU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31832&group=uk.rec.cycling#31832

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Crash driver jailed for telling wife in Punjabi to lie to police,
Leeds Crown Court told
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 12:47:17 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 11:47 UTC

On 23/10/2023 08:21 am, Simon Mason wrote:

> A suspected drink driver who smashed into a wall and parked cars and then ordered his wife in Punjabi to lie to police has been jailed.
>
> Officers had footage from their body-worn cameras translated after Zahir Hussain pleaded with his passenger to tell officers he had not been driving while he was being led away.
>
> The 48-year-old eventually admitted a charge of attempting to pervert the course of justice, but only after he denied the offence, then tried to get the case dismissed before attempting to blame his son, claiming it he who was driving.
>
> Prosecuting the case at Leeds Crown Court, Bashir Ahmed said that Hussain’s Ford Capri collided with a garden wall and parked cars on Church Street in Ossett, Wakefield, at around 10.35pm on October 2 last year.
>
> He then drove off again and almost collided with a police van head on.
>
> They turned to follow him and found the car a short distance away with Hussain crouched beside it and his estranged wife still sat in the passenger seat.
>
> He failed a breath test and was arrested.
>
> He then began shouting to his wife in the hope the officers would not be able to understand him.
>
> When he reached the police station he refused to take another test to determine exactly how much he had drunk.
>
> He then “gave a false account” during his interview, Mr Ahmed said, reiterating he was not the driver.
>
> Hussain, of Picklesfield, Batley, has four previous convictions for six offences.
>
> Mitigating, Nicholas Hammond said Hussain had come to court “prepared for immediate custody” after accepting that he was the driver.
>
> The judge, Recorder Ray Singh, told him: “You were clearly driving after you had consumed too much alcohol. You said you ‘had a few whiskies’.
>
> "On at least four occasions you put your wife in a position of jeopardy by asking her to lie on your behalf.
>
> "Only the due diligence of officers that had the footage translated that showed the deceit.
>
> “It was a concerted effort and you blamed you own son for this offence.
>
> "Anyone who perverts the course of justice attracts an immediate custodial sentence, and nothing I have heard allows me to depart from that.”
>
> He jailed Hussain for 21 weeks.
>
> https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/crime/crash-driver-jailed-for-telling-wife-in-punjabi-to-lie-to-police-leeds-crown-court-told-3852941

You DO have a thing about people who "nearly" collide with other
road-users, don't you?

This despite the rather obvious fact that all of us "nearly" collide
with other road-users every time we travel on the roads - it's the way
that roads are designed to be used, often with very narrow clearances,
even with oncoming traffic.

Re: Crash driver jailed for telling wife in Punjabi to lie to police, Leeds Crown Court told

<618b5dc5-4667-47b5-ad0b-f9f5320e7cf4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31835&group=uk.rec.cycling#31835

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 05:19:38 -0700 (PDT)
Leeds Crown Court told
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 12:19 UTC

QUOTE: The 48-year-old eventually admitted a charge of attempting to pervert the course of justice, but only after he denied the offence, then tried to get the case dismissed before attempting to blame his son, claiming it he who was driving. ENDS

"The Old Switcheroo" as we say in the trade - it never works.

Re: Crash driver jailed for telling wife in Punjabi to lie to police, Leeds Crown Court told

<kpn7k2FdhspU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31838&group=uk.rec.cycling#31838

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Leeds Crown Court told
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 13:35:15 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 12:35 UTC

On 23/10/2023 01:19 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> QUOTE: The 48-year-old eventually admitted a charge of attempting to pervert the course of justice, but only after he denied the offence, then tried to get the case dismissed before attempting to blame his son, claiming it he who was driving. ENDS
>
> "The Old Switcheroo" as we say in the trade - it never works.

What "trade" is that?

Are you purporting to be a police officer?

Or a lawyer?

Have a care...

Re: Crash driver jailed for telling wife in Punjabi to lie to police, Leeds Crown Court told

<ece584a2-dfdf-4eda-9e3e-ebf52c1dfc34n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31840&group=uk.rec.cycling#31840

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 08:11:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 15:11 UTC

QUOTE "On at least four occasions you put your wife in a position of jeopardy by asking her to lie on your behalf.ENDS

Did the missus get done for perverting the course of justice?

Re: Crash driver jailed for telling wife in Punjabi to lie to police, Leeds Crown Court told

<kpnlkcFfulmU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31846&group=uk.rec.cycling#31846

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Leeds Crown Court told
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 17:34:21 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 16:34 UTC

On 23/10/2023 04:11 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> QUOTE "On at least four occasions you put your wife in a position of jeopardy by asking her to lie on your behalf.ENDS
>
> Did the missus get done for perverting the course of justice?

I am sure you can "think" of a famous and relatively recent precedent,
M'Lud.

Re: Crash driver jailed for telling wife in Punjabi to lie to police, Leeds Crown Court told

<fac8a5b9-2339-4b20-928c-0add569aecaen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31850&group=uk.rec.cycling#31850

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 10:12:04 -0700 (PDT)
Leeds Crown Court told
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 17:12 UTC

QUOTE: He then began shouting to his wife in the hope the officers would not be able to understand him. ENDS

Sounds like your typical fat racist gammon in a Spanish bar. :-)

Re: Crash driver jailed for telling wife in Punjabi to lie to police, Leeds Crown Court told

<kpo7uvFj7f8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31857&group=uk.rec.cycling#31857

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Crash driver jailed for telling wife in Punjabi to lie
to police, Leeds Crown Court told
Date: 23 Oct 2023 21:47:11 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 21:47 UTC

Old news: Published 23rd Sep 2022, 11:45 BST

--
Spike

Re: Crash driver jailed for telling wife in Punjabi to lie to police, Leeds Crown Court told

<kpo7v1Fj7f8U10@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31864&group=uk.rec.cycling#31864

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
to police, Leeds Crown Court told
Date: 23 Oct 2023 21:47:13 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 21:47 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> QUOTE "On at least four occasions you put your wife in a position of
> jeopardy by asking her to lie on your behalf.ENDS

> Did the missus get done for perverting the course of justice?

I’m sure you’ll tell us. Several times.

--
Spike

Re: Crash driver jailed for telling wife in Punjabi to lie to police, Leeds Crown Court told

<kpo7v1Fj7f8U12@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31866&group=uk.rec.cycling#31866

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
to police, Leeds Crown Court told
Date: 23 Oct 2023 21:47:13 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 21:47 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> QUOTE: He then began shouting to his wife in the hope the officers would
> not be able to understand him. ENDS
>
> Sounds like your typical fat racist gammon in a Spanish bar. :-)

Actually, in reality it is *your* ‘typical fat racist gammon in a Spanish
bar’.

--
Spike

Re: Crash driver jailed for telling wife in Punjabi to lie to police, Leeds Crown Court told

<bb8a29f6-2571-47f3-9927-5029149938e1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31879&group=uk.rec.cycling#31879

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 00:28:41 -0700 (PDT)
Leeds Crown Court told
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 07:28 UTC

QUOTE: Officers had footage from their body-worn cameras translated after Zahir Hussain pleaded with his passenger to tell officers he had not been driving while he was being led away.ENDS

"Led away" from the driver's seat? Not the brightest bulb. :-)