From: mik...@mgarcia.nospam (Mike Garcia)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-nt4,uk.comp.vintage
Subject: Re: Windows NT4.0 HDD no partitions
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 03:40:01 -0700
 by: Mike Garcia - Fri, 30 Apr 2021 10:40 UTC

In article <ragfuv$vbk$1@gioia.aioe.org>, mantas@universe-trinti.lt
says...

> Hi,
>
> I received a Pentium Pro server with Win NT 4.0 installed. It had a password
> and 2 IDE hard disks, one was disconnected.
> I made a mistake connecting one hard drive to Windows XP machine. I could
> see all the files, but something happened and now neither the server nor
> Windows XP machines can see the partitions on the disk.
>
> How can I restore it?

I would use a Linux boot disc or USB drive, make an image of them use
fdisk or gparted, make sure the first partition is bootable.

Re: Windows NT4.0 HDD no partitions

<s6og6d$g4t$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32&group=uk.comp.vintage#32

From: man...@universe-trinti.lt (Mantas)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.vintage
Date: Mon, 3 May 2021 12:37:16 +0300
 by: Mantas - Mon, 3 May 2021 09:37 UTC

There are no USB ports.
I tried Hirens Boot CD, but many of the programs were not working - not
enough RAM.
Also, there are 2 IDE hard disks, but nothing sees them (BIOS does, but when
booting from DOS or similar floppy there are no HDDs visible). Maybe because
WinNT uses different file system?

"Mike Garcia" <mike@mgarcia.nospam> wrote in message
> In article <ragfuv$vbk$1@gioia.aioe.org>, mantas@universe-trinti.lt
> says...
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I received a Pentium Pro server with Win NT 4.0 installed. It had a
>> password
>> and 2 IDE hard disks, one was disconnected.
>> I made a mistake connecting one hard drive to Windows XP machine. I could
>> see all the files, but something happened and now neither the server nor
>> Windows XP machines can see the partitions on the disk.
>>
>> How can I restore it?
>

> I would use a Linux boot disc or USB drive, make an image of them use
> fdisk or gparted, make sure the first partition is bootable.

Re: Windows NT4.0 HDD no partitions

<if9vi3F7uv9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33&group=uk.comp.vintage#33

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.vintage
Date: Mon, 3 May 2021 10:54:11 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 3 May 2021 09:54 UTC

Mantas wrote:

> there are 2 IDE hard disks, but nothing sees them (BIOS does, but when
> booting from DOS or similar floppy there are no HDDs visible). Maybe because
> WinNT uses different file system?

DOS won't see contents of NTFS partitions, but does FDISK see the IDE
discs? Not suggesting you edit the partitions, just see if they are
visible for a start.