From: the.happ...@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: No NI U-Turn
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 18:51:27 +0000
 by: The Happy Hippy - Thu, 27 Jan 2022 18:51 UTC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60149993

<quote>

There will be "no U-turn" on a planned National Insurance hike intended to fund health and social care, Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng has said.

</quote>

That's good to hear. The more suffering it causes, the more blame the tories get for that suffering, the better the chances of them being out of office in future.

Besides; serves people right. Karma's a bitch who gives people what they voted for.

Perhaps they will remember that next time they choose to vote for the selfish elite who have always held them in contempt.

Re: No NI U-Turn

<wVBJJ.101717$ab0e.89306@fx06.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3200&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#3200

Subject: Re: No NI U-Turn
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
From: ngspamme...@yahoo.co.uk (TWP)
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 19:45:30 +0000
 by: TWP - Sun, 30 Jan 2022 19:45 UTC

On 27/01/2022 18:51, The Happy Hippy wrote:
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60149993
>
> <quote>
>
> There will be "no U-turn" on a planned National Insurance hike intended to fund health and social care, Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng has said.
>
> </quote>
>
> That's good to hear. The more suffering it causes, the more blame the tories get for that suffering, the better the chances of them being out of office in future.
>
> Besides; serves people right. Karma's a bitch who gives people what they voted for.
>
> Perhaps they will remember that next time they choose to vote for the selfish elite who have always held them in contempt.

Do you think it would have happened without the costs of Coronavirus?

If it really is for Coronavirus costs they should exempt or reduce it
for the people that worked through it. What do you think the chances
are of that happening?

Re: No NI U-Turn

<20220131153204.00005f0c@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3206&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#3206

From: the.happ...@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 15:32:04 +0000
 by: The Happy Hippy - Mon, 31 Jan 2022 15:32 UTC

On Sun, 30 Jan 2022 19:45:30 +0000
TWP <ngspammersad@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On 27/01/2022 18:51, The Happy Hippy wrote:
> > https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60149993
> >
> > <quote>
> >
> > There will be "no U-turn" on a planned National Insurance hike
> > intended to fund health and social care, Business Secretary Kwasi
> > Kwarteng has said.
> >
> > </quote>
> >
> > That's good to hear. The more suffering it causes, the more blame
> > the tories get for that suffering, the better the chances of them
> > being out of office in future.
> >
> > Besides; serves people right. Karma's a bitch who gives people what
> > they voted for.
> >
> > Perhaps they will remember that next time they choose to vote for
> > the selfish elite who have always held them in contempt.
>
> Do you think it would have happened without the costs of Coronavirus?
>
> If it really is for Coronavirus costs they should exempt or reduce it
> for the people that worked through it. What do you think the chances
> are of that happening?

I am not convinced we could have any taxation system where individuals are exempt from some or all of that tax. I cannot see how it could be implemented fairly, so I can't see it happening.

One way to do it would be to keep the NI burden as it is and compensate those who "worked through the pandemic" separately.

But, again, how could we do that fairly, proportionatly ?

And how would it be fair to make the quarter of workers who were furloughed at some time solely responsible for the consequences of something they never asked for ?

Impact on health care services closely relates to what the government's approach to the pandemic was. New Zealand who adopted a 'zero covid' approach appears to have recovered pretty well back in October 2020 while our 'herd immunity' approach has stored-up problems which will run long into the future.

This was always the predictable consequence of "saving the economy by sacrificing public health".

It feels to me like something of a double-whammy; we saved the economy, made the rich richer, and yet we are having to pay the price of having done that.

aus+uk / uk.current-events.terrorism / Re: No NI U-Turn