Minicomputer: A computer that can be afforded on the budget of a middle-level manager.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Careless driver sentenced at M62 crash leaving man with broken spine

SubjectAuthor
* Careless driver sentenced at M62 crash leaving man with broken spineSimon Mason
+- Re: Careless driver sentenced at M62 crash leaving man with brokenJNugent
`* Re: Careless driver sentenced at M62 crash leaving man with broken spineSimon Mason
 +* Re: Careless driver sentenced at M62 crash leaving man with brokenJNugent
 |`- Re: Careless driver sentenced at M62 crash leaving man withSpike
 `- Re: Careless driver sentenced at M62 crash leaving man with broken spineSimon Mason

1
Careless driver sentenced at M62 crash leaving man with broken spine

<5d0abd42-23a9-4b80-a8aa-a9628aee0029n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32081&group=uk.rec.cycling#32081

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 01:45:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Careless driver sentenced at M62 crash leaving man with broken spine
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 08:45 UTC

A MOTORIST suffered a broken spine and a broken leg after his car was crashed into by a careless motorway driver.

The victim’s car was left suspended in a tree after leaving the M62 and careering down an embankment following being clipped by Stacey Holland..

The 33-year-old admitted her actions were careless in the fact that she was driving in the early hours while tired, after travelling around 200 miles.

She was sentenced at Liverpool, Knowsley and St Helens Magistrates’ Court yesterday, Thursday, having pleaded guilty to a charge of causing serious injury by careless or inconsiderate driving at an earlier hearing.

Chris Howard, prosecuting the case, informed magistrates how the offence occurred at approximately 4.10am on August 8 last year.

The defendant was driving her grey Peugeot 207 along the M62 heading westbound between junctions eight for Burtonwood and seven for Rainhill Stoops.

Holland was travelling in the third lane and, feeling tired, began to move towards the hard shoulder, when in the process she collided with the rear of another vehicle.

The driver of the other vehicle – a grey Nissan X-Trail – lost control, left the carriageway, careered down an embankment and hit a tree rear-on, with the car ending up suspended in the tree.

The court heard how the driver, who also had a passenger in the car, suffered a broken leg, broken spine and broken nose as a result.

At the time of the incident, North West Ambulance Service said that he was hospitalised with a "major trauma" injury, as well as that other ‘walking wounded’ were taken to hospital.

Two lanes were closed for several hours as emergency services worked at the scene of the two-vehicle crash, including to clear up a large spillage.

At the peak of the incident, there were more than four miles of congested traffic, and it initially led to the whole of the motorway being blocked.

However, emergency services were able to release the traffic after around an hour, with all lanes reopening at around 11.30am.

Holland stopped at the scene of the collision, with skid marks visible on the road, and she was later charged by police.

Mitigation was offered from Jeremy Coleman, defending, who said: “This is not the usual type of careless driving, or causing serious injury by careless driving, which often involve the use of substances. This was absolutely not the case here.”

The court heard that Holland was responding to a family emergency in Kent and was driving back home to Liverpool.

“She had taken several breaks, but not enough to avoid this very unfortunate incident,” he continued.

“When she found out the impact of the incident, she was quite remorseful and upset about what the consequences might be of the matter.”

It was also said that she pleaded guilty at the first opportunity, made full admissions to police during her interview and is a "lady of good character" with no previous convictions.

She is also 37 weeks pregnant and three weeks off giving birth, with Mr Coleman adding that his client wishes to apologise for what happened.

Before sentencing, the chair magistrate said: “We have listened carefully to what has been said this morning and considered absolutely everything.

“We feel that a community order is appropriate in this case.”

Holland, of Hornsey Road in Anfield, Liverpool, was sentenced to a 12-month community order, including 20 rehabilitation activity requirement days.

She must also pay a fine of £200, victim surcharge of £114 and court costs of £120, and she was disqualified from driving for the next two years.

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/23881718.careless-driver-sentenced-m62-crash-leaving-man-broken-spine/

Re: Careless driver sentenced at M62 crash leaving man with broken spine

<kq1uf2Fu114U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32107&group=uk.rec.cycling#32107

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Careless driver sentenced at M62 crash leaving man with broken
spine
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 15:06:26 +0100
 by: JNugent - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 14:06 UTC

On 27/10/2023 09:45 am, Simon Mason wrote:

> A MOTORIST suffered a broken spine and a broken leg after his car was crashed into by a careless motorway driver.
> The victim’s car was left suspended in a tree after leaving the M62 and careering down an embankment following being clipped by Stacey Holland.
> The 33-year-old admitted her actions were careless in the fact that she was driving in the early hours while tired, after travelling around 200 miles.
> She was sentenced at Liverpool, Knowsley and St Helens Magistrates’ Court yesterday, Thursday, having pleaded guilty to a charge of causing serious injury by careless or inconsiderate driving at an earlier hearing.

Just one magistrates' court for all three of those Metropolitan boroughs?

And why is Bootle (ie, Sefton) not included?

> Chris Howard, prosecuting the case, informed magistrates how the offence occurred at approximately 4.10am on August 8 last year.
> The defendant was driving her grey Peugeot 207 along the M62 heading westbound between junctions eight for Burtonwood and seven for Rainhill Stoops.

Know it well. "Rainhill Stoops" (the A57 junction SE of Rainhill) used
to be my turning when coming home. No-one ever calls it that, mind you.

> Holland was travelling in the third lane and, feeling tired, began to move towards the hard shoulder, when in the process she collided with the rear of another vehicle.
> The driver of the other vehicle – a grey Nissan X-Trail – lost control, left the carriageway, careered down an embankment and hit a tree rear-on, with the car ending up suspended in the tree.
> The court heard how the driver, who also had a passenger in the car, suffered a broken leg, broken spine and broken nose as a result.
> At the time of the incident, North West Ambulance Service said that he was hospitalised with a "major trauma" injury, as well as that other ‘walking wounded’ were taken to hospital.
> Two lanes were closed for several hours as emergency services worked at the scene of the two-vehicle crash, including to clear up a large spillage.
> At the peak of the incident, there were more than four miles of congested traffic, and it initially led to the whole of the motorway being blocked.
> However, emergency services were able to release the traffic after around an hour, with all lanes reopening at around 11.30am.
> Holland stopped at the scene of the collision, with skid marks visible on the road, and she was later charged by police.
> Mitigation was offered from Jeremy Coleman, defending, who said: “This is not the usual type of careless driving, or causing serious injury by careless driving, which often involve the use of substances. This was absolutely not the case here.”
> The court heard that Holland was responding to a family emergency in Kent and was driving back home to Liverpool.
> “She had taken several breaks, but not enough to avoid this very unfortunate incident,” he continued.
> “When she found out the impact of the incident, she was quite remorseful and upset about what the consequences might be of the matter.”
> It was also said that she pleaded guilty at the first opportunity, made full admissions to police during her interview and is a "lady of good character" with no previous convictions.
> She is also 37 weeks pregnant and three weeks off giving birth, with Mr Coleman adding that his client wishes to apologise for what happened.
> Before sentencing, the chair magistrate said: “We have listened carefully to what has been said this morning and considered absolutely everything.
> “We feel that a community order is appropriate in this case.”
> Holland, of Hornsey Road in Anfield, Liverpool, was sentenced to a 12-month community order, including 20 rehabilitation activity requirement days.
> She must also pay a fine of £200, victim surcharge of £114 and court costs of £120, and she was disqualified from driving for the next two years.
>
> https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/23881718.careless-driver-sentenced-m62-crash-leaving-man-broken-spine/

A reasonable enough set of penalties in all the circumstances. I bet her
insurance renewal didn't come cheap either.

It actually reminds me of the first time I drove home from Lancashire to
London when I had my full licence. Approaching Toddington Services in
the very early morning (c. 04:00; it was summer and just getting light),
I saw a car stopped in the third lane on an otherwise deserted M1. The
vehicle was stopped at a crazy angle with the front offside wing
touching the crash barrier, the front passenger door open and a man
(presumably the driver - no-one else was nearby) sprawled out of the
passenger door with his head on the carriageway. I didn't stop. I turned
off into the services and went to the phones, but found that a driver a
little way in front of me had already rung the emergency services. We
both concluded that the unfortunate man had fallen asleep at the wheel.

I hope he was alright. A similar incident these days might not be as
survivable, given the weight of traffic, even at dead of night.

Re: Careless driver sentenced at M62 crash leaving man with broken spine

<e7eab419-c0b8-4abe-a053-5a70ee597c34n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32129&group=uk.rec.cycling#32129

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 08:16:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 15:16 UTC

Slack Babbath 3 hrs ago
User ID: 4031767
Got off pretty lightly as she's about to drop a sprog.

Had she not had one in the oven, it would have been a different story.

Last Updated: 3 hrs ago

Re: Careless driver sentenced at M62 crash leaving man with broken spine

<kq23vqFsphU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32139&group=uk.rec.cycling#32139

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
spine
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 16:40:42 +0100
 by: JNugent - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 15:40 UTC

On 27/10/2023 04:16 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> Slack Babbath 3 hrs ago
> User ID: 4031767
> Got off pretty lightly as she's about to drop a sprog.
>
> Had she not had one in the oven, it would have been a different story.
>
> Last Updated: 3 hrs ago

Neither you or the other idiot are very respectful towards women, are you?

Simon Misogyny...

It has a certain ring to it...

Re: Careless driver sentenced at M62 crash leaving man with broken spine

<kq2aicF2qa0U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32157&group=uk.rec.cycling#32157

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Careless driver sentenced at M62 crash leaving man with
broken spine
Date: 27 Oct 2023 17:33:00 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 17:33 UTC

JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
> On 27/10/2023 04:16 pm, Simon Mason wrote:
>
>> Slack Babbath 3 hrs ago
>> User ID: 4031767
>> Got off pretty lightly as she's about to drop a sprog.
>>
>> Had she not had one in the oven, it would have been a different story.
>>
>> Last Updated: 3 hrs ago
>
> Neither you or the other idiot are very respectful towards women, are you?
>
> Simon Misogyny...
>
> It has a certain ring to it...

LOL!

--
Spike

Re: Careless driver sentenced at M62 crash leaving man with broken spine

<3e1096e1-940b-4352-97d7-7f5dabf1f533n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32167&group=uk.rec.cycling#32167

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 10:57:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 17:57 UTC

On Friday, October 27, 2023 at 4:17:00 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
> Slack Babbath 3 hrs ago
> User ID: 4031767
> Got off pretty lightly as she's about to drop a sprog.
>
> Had she not had one in the oven, it would have been a different story.
>
> Last Updated: 3 hrs ago

From her friends in the local rag, one assumes.