From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Subject: Dipping Headlights Aygo
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 16:40:48 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:MBFtaZ42ee44vDqeU1ocjlMSczw=
 by: Brian - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 16:40 UTC

I’m sure I’m missing something obvious.

We’ve just bought a new (2021) Toyota Aygo for Senior Management. Smashing
little car, ideal for what we want.

I wanted a set of spare bulbs- not least as we will be using it in France
etc- so off I went to find out the types etc.

No real issue. Just a mystery.

There only seems to be one bulb in the headlight ( dipped / main beam)
assembly (ignoring the side lights, DRLs, indicator etc).

The bulb is a single filament quartz (HIR2- I’ve looked at it). The light
dips etc, the main and dipped beam comes from the same assembly / Lens
lump.

I’m used to seeing dual filament bulbs ( so the source moves, moving the
beam) but how are they dipping the single bulb?

The dipped beam has the usual UK left up kick ( unfortunately - I was
hoping to find the flat top dip like on my car which is EU legal.)

Re: Dipping Headlights Aygo

<skrekp$m8v$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=319&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#319

From: skys...@yahoo.com (Peter Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Subject: Re: Dipping Headlights Aygo
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 11:15:57 +0100
 by: Peter Hill - Thu, 21 Oct 2021 10:15 UTC

On 18/10/2021 17:40, Brian wrote:

> I’m sure I’m missing something obvious.
>
> We’ve just bought a new (2021) Toyota Aygo for Senior Management. Smashing
> little car, ideal for what we want.
>
> I wanted a set of spare bulbs- not least as we will be using it in France
> etc- so off I went to find out the types etc.
>
> No real issue. Just a mystery.
>
> There only seems to be one bulb in the headlight ( dipped / main beam)
> assembly (ignoring the side lights, DRLs, indicator etc).
>
> The bulb is a single filament quartz (HIR2- I’ve looked at it). The light
> dips etc, the main and dipped beam comes from the same assembly / Lens
> lump.
>
> I’m used to seeing dual filament bulbs ( so the source moves, moving the
> beam) but how are they dipping the single bulb?
>
> The dipped beam has the usual UK left up kick ( unfortunately - I was
> hoping to find the flat top dip like on my car which is EU legal.)

HID Bi-Xenon. Hella have a patent.
A solenoid operated shield flips up to block the lower part of the beam
that produces the high beam. The dip beam comes out the top of the
headlamp. For Europe the shield will be shaped to give a kick up to the
nearside. For USA it's flat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLQX2W0ZD3g

Some may have a lever that rotates the shield to give kick-up on
opposite side but that costs more and there is another patent.

LED adaptive headlamps can be switched from a user menu in the car
control panel.

Re: Dipping Headlights Aygo

<597eeb9ff0dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=320&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#320

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 15:16:46 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Thu, 21 Oct 2021 14:16 UTC

In article <skk82g$4ob$1@dont-email.me>,
Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:

> I‘m sure I‘m missing something obvious.

> We‘ve just bought a new (2021) Toyota Aygo for Senior Management.
> Smashing little car, ideal for what we want.

> I wanted a set of spare bulbs- not least as we will be using it in
> France etc- so off I went to find out the types etc.

> No real issue. Just a mystery.

> There only seems to be one bulb in the headlight ( dipped / main beam)
> assembly (ignoring the side lights, DRLs, indicator etc).

> The bulb is a single filament quartz (HIR2- I‘ve looked at it). The light
> dips etc, the main and dipped beam comes from the same assembly / Lens
> lump.

> I‘m used to seeing dual filament bulbs ( so the source moves, moving the
> beam) but how are they dipping the single bulb?

> The dipped beam has the usual UK left up kick ( unfortunately - I was
> hoping to find the flat top dip like on my car which is EU legal.)

When HID arrived, some cars used the same bulb for dip and main. Either
the bulb moved, or some form of shutter?
Most cars use LED these days. Perhaps they use the same method for that,
but base models still fitted with halogen?

--
*To err is human. To forgive is against company policy.

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Dipping Headlights Aygo

<skuftb$er4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=321&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#321

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 13:55:55 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:s2KtundtJZVjTvwoN8q4Ha2aZKI=
 by: Brian - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 13:55 UTC

Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <skk82g$4ob$1@dont-email.me>,
> Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:
>
>> I‘m sure I‘m missing something obvious.
>
>> We‘ve just bought a new (2021) Toyota Aygo for Senior Management.
>> Smashing little car, ideal for what we want.
>
>> I wanted a set of spare bulbs- not least as we will be using it in
>> France etc- so off I went to find out the types etc.
>
>> No real issue. Just a mystery.
>
>> There only seems to be one bulb in the headlight ( dipped / main beam)
>> assembly (ignoring the side lights, DRLs, indicator etc).
>
>> The bulb is a single filament quartz (HIR2- I‘ve looked at it). The light
>> dips etc, the main and dipped beam comes from the same assembly / Lens
>> lump.
>
>> I‘m used to seeing dual filament bulbs ( so the source moves, moving the
>> beam) but how are they dipping the single bulb?
>
>> The dipped beam has the usual UK left up kick ( unfortunately - I was
>> hoping to find the flat top dip like on my car which is EU legal.)
>
> When HID arrived, some cars used the same bulb for dip and main. Either
> the bulb moved, or some form of shutter?
> Most cars use LED these days. Perhaps they use the same method for that,
> but base models still fitted with halogen?

Thank you to you and Peter.

It seems the bulb is moved - I asked on a Toyota group.

I was vaguely aware of bulbs which had moving parts to move the source but
not of moving the whole bulb- at least not for dipping.

It seems overly complex but ….

Great little car for a runabout etc and gizmos you don’t expect on a basic
car.