If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Re: Graphics card - GTX1070

SubjectAuthor
* Graphics card - GTX1070David
+- Re: Graphics card - GTX1070Tom Furie
+* Re: Graphics card - GTX1070David
|`* Re: Graphics card - GTX1070David
| `* Re: Graphics card - GTX1070Jaimie Vandenbergh
|  `- Re: Graphics card - GTX1070A Nonymouse
`- Re: Graphics card - GTX1070David

1
Graphics card - GTX1070

<k8tts9Fd0h0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3202&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3202

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Graphics card - GTX1070
Date: 2 Apr 2023 17:55:21 GMT
 by: David - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 17:55 UTC

Well, got round to unwrapping it at last.

First issue is that it seems to be a few millimetres too long to fit
without fouling the hard drive cage.
This is not insurmountable as I have more drive bays but it is a pain.

Second issue is that when I power it up it asks to be powered down again
and a PCIe power cable (or two) to be fitted.

This is all new territory for me as I haven't been building new PCs for a
long time.

I can see the two 8 pin power sockets on the top of the card.

However I have not yet worked out where the power is taken from.

The nearest is a 6 pin from the PSU.

I shall be trawling the Internet, but meanwhile any hints would be welcome.

Cheers

Dave R

--
Dell XPS laptop running W8.1

Re: Graphics card - GTX1070

<u0cfpr$ks7$1@freeq.furie.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3203&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3203

From: tom...@furie.org.uk (Tom Furie)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Graphics card - GTX1070
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 17:59:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Tom Furie - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 17:59 UTC

On 2023-04-02, David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:
> Well, got round to unwrapping it at last.
>
> First issue is that it seems to be a few millimetres too long to fit
> without fouling the hard drive cage.
> This is not insurmountable as I have more drive bays but it is a pain.
>
> Second issue is that when I power it up it asks to be powered down again
> and a PCIe power cable (or two) to be fitted.

Seems you'll be needing a new PSU, and perhaps a new case...

Cheers,
Tom

Re: Graphics card - GTX1070

<k8tujcFd0h0U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3204&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3204

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 2 Apr 2023 18:07:40 GMT
 by: David - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 18:07 UTC

On Sun, 02 Apr 2023 17:55:21 +0000, David wrote:

> Well, got round to unwrapping it at last.
>
> First issue is that it seems to be a few millimetres too long to fit
> without fouling the hard drive cage.
> This is not insurmountable as I have more drive bays but it is a pain.
>
> Second issue is that when I power it up it asks to be powered down again
> and a PCIe power cable (or two) to be fitted.
>
> This is all new territory for me as I haven't been building new PCs for
> a long time.
>
> I can see the two 8 pin power sockets on the top of the card.
>
> However I have not yet worked out where the power is taken from.
>
> The nearest is a 6 pin from the PSU.
>
> I shall be trawling the Internet, but meanwhile any hints would be
> welcome.

Corsair 400W PSU

Never even considered there might be an issue.

I have a big PSU in another case (800W I think) sized for graphics cards
which were never bought.

I think I may be in for an extended shuffling of bits around.

Grump

Dave R

--
Dell XPS laptop running W8.1

Re: Graphics card - GTX1070

<k8tvq4Fd0h0U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3205&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3205

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 2 Apr 2023 18:28:20 GMT
 by: David - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 18:28 UTC

On Sun, 02 Apr 2023 18:07:40 +0000, David wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Apr 2023 17:55:21 +0000, David wrote:
>
>> Well, got round to unwrapping it at last.
>>
>> First issue is that it seems to be a few millimetres too long to fit
>> without fouling the hard drive cage.
>> This is not insurmountable as I have more drive bays but it is a pain.
>>
>> Second issue is that when I power it up it asks to be powered down
>> again and a PCIe power cable (or two) to be fitted.
>>
>> This is all new territory for me as I haven't been building new PCs for
>> a long time.
>>
>> I can see the two 8 pin power sockets on the top of the card.
>>
>> However I have not yet worked out where the power is taken from.
>>
>> The nearest is a 6 pin from the PSU.
>>
>> I shall be trawling the Internet, but meanwhile any hints would be
>> welcome.
>
> Corsair 400W PSU
>
> Never even considered there might be an issue.
>
> I have a big PSU in another case (800W I think) sized for graphics cards
> which were never bought.
>
> I think I may be in for an extended shuffling of bits around.
>
> Grump
>

> Dave R

So - EVGA Nvidia GTX 1070 FTW.
I had no idea there were so many variants.
75W from the PCIe slot
75W from the PSU via cable.

The Ti variant only has one 8 pin power connector and will allegedly run
on a 450W PSU, but this is looking one step too far.

I have seen 6->8 pin PCIe power cable adapters, but it does make you
wonder what the extra 2 pins are for.

I think I need to have a look round all the cases and see which is the
best fit.

This is not something I will be able to complete today so I will have to
put back to original.

Cheers

Dave R

--
Dell XPS laptop running W8.1

Re: Graphics card - GTX1070

<k8u3tkFdlglU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3206&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3206

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 2 Apr 2023 19:38:28 GMT
 by: David - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 19:38 UTC

On Sun, 02 Apr 2023 17:55:21 +0000, David wrote:

> Well, got round to unwrapping it at last.
>
> First issue is that it seems to be a few millimetres too long to fit
> without fouling the hard drive cage.
> This is not insurmountable as I have more drive bays but it is a pain.
>
> Second issue is that when I power it up it asks to be powered down again
> and a PCIe power cable (or two) to be fitted.
>
> This is all new territory for me as I haven't been building new PCs for
> a long time.
>
> I can see the two 8 pin power sockets on the top of the card.
>
> However I have not yet worked out where the power is taken from.
>
> The nearest is a 6 pin from the PSU.
>
> I shall be trawling the Internet, but meanwhile any hints would be
> welcome.

Just looked back to September 2016 when I built this system and I retained
the case and the PSU from a much older AMD build so the PSU will not have
the modern connectors.

The 6 pin connector was a red herring.

I note that my other "modern" system is an i5-2500k which was 5 years old
in 2016.

I think I may end up transferring the guts of this system into the case
for the other system and using the 750W PSU from that one.

Looking back to when I built this I deliberately didn't upgrade the PSU
because I didn't see the need for any fancy graphics.

I suppose a 12 year old 750W PSU may be getting long in the tooth as well.

It all depends on which case will accommodate this full length graphics
card, I suppose.

All this started (as is a common factor in many rebuilds) with a monitor
failing and me trying to get a more modern solution.

I do have yet another system with a Core 2 Quad in, which may be another
donor option.

My two "quiescent" systems had random halt issues which I didn't have time
to investigate so I ended up using this one.
The Core 2 Quad is up and (to my surprise) running Windows 10.
I know I did a trial upgrade but didn't think I was running that as the
main OS.

Not that I really have the time for any of this, but now I am doing stuff
perhaps I will get an upgraded system for downstairs (where this system
is).

Noting that a 2016 upgrade of a very old system is my latest build so
perhaps I deserve something newer.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Graphics card - GTX1070

<k8vrr7Fm5cvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3210&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3210

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 3 Apr 2023 11:32:55 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 11:32 UTC

On 2 Apr 2023 at 19:28:20 BST, "David" <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Apr 2023 18:07:40 +0000, David wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 02 Apr 2023 17:55:21 +0000, David wrote:
>>
>>> Well, got round to unwrapping it at last.
>>>
>>> First issue is that it seems to be a few millimetres too long to fit
>>> without fouling the hard drive cage.
>>> This is not insurmountable as I have more drive bays but it is a pain.
>>>
>>> Second issue is that when I power it up it asks to be powered down
>>> again and a PCIe power cable (or two) to be fitted.
>>>
>>> This is all new territory for me as I haven't been building new PCs for
>>> a long time.
>>>
>>> I can see the two 8 pin power sockets on the top of the card.
>>>
>>> However I have not yet worked out where the power is taken from.
>>>
>>> The nearest is a 6 pin from the PSU.
>>>
>>> I shall be trawling the Internet, but meanwhile any hints would be
>>> welcome.
>>
>> Corsair 400W PSU
>>
>> Never even considered there might be an issue.
>>
>> I have a big PSU in another case (800W I think) sized for graphics cards
>> which were never bought.
>>
>> I think I may be in for an extended shuffling of bits around.
>>
>> Grump
>>

>> Dave R
>
> So - EVGA Nvidia GTX 1070 FTW.
> I had no idea there were so many variants.
> 75W from the PCIe slot
> 75W from the PSU via cable.
>
> The Ti variant only has one 8 pin power connector and will allegedly run
> on a 450W PSU, but this is looking one step too far.

The Ti is *more* power hungry than the base 1070, so it's more a matter
of bad tech specs. Those 75W figures are the max theoretical plus safety
margin. The 1070 isn't a particularly thirsty card.

For reference, my i7-8700k with RTX2080ti 32gig etc never goes over
about 280W draw even in benchmarking, in gaming about 230W is max.

A 450W PSU (if it's a quality one, not actually 150W crap) will be fine.
But without the GPU power connectors you'll need to swap things around
like you said.

> I have seen 6->8 pin PCIe power cable adapters, but it does make you
> wonder what the extra 2 pins are for.

More square millimetres of copper wire. Those GPU power connectors only
supply 12V and ground links; the more wires are merely for more amps.
Your 1070 asking for 2x8 power connectors seems a bit like
showboating... baked bean can exhaust equivalent!

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"The polar opposite of cinnamon is frogs."
-- Mandy, in "Mandy the Merciless"

Re: Graphics card - GTX1070

<k90231Fmo0dU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3212&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3212

From: red....@ntlworld.com (A Nonymouse)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 14:19:29 +0100
 by: A Nonymouse - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 13:19 UTC

On 03/04/2023 12:32, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
<snip>

>> So - EVGA Nvidia GTX 1070 FTW.
>> I had no idea there were so many variants.
>> 75W from the PCIe slot
>> 75W from the PSU via cable.
>>
>> The Ti variant only has one 8 pin power connector and will allegedly run
>> on a 450W PSU, but this is looking one step too far.
>
> The Ti is *more* power hungry than the base 1070, so it's more a matter
> of bad tech specs. Those 75W figures are the max theoretical plus safety
> margin. The 1070 isn't a particularly thirsty card.
>
> For reference, my i7-8700k with RTX2080ti 32gig etc never goes over
> about 280W draw even in benchmarking, in gaming about 230W is max.
>
> A 450W PSU (if it's a quality one, not actually 150W crap) will be fine.
> But without the GPU power connectors you'll need to swap things around
> like you said.
>
>> I have seen 6->8 pin PCIe power cable adapters, but it does make you
>> wonder what the extra 2 pins are for.
>
> More square millimetres of copper wire. Those GPU power connectors only
> supply 12V and ground links; the more wires are merely for more amps.
> Your 1070 asking for 2x8 power connectors seems a bit like
> showboating... baked bean can exhaust equivalent!
>
> Cheers - Jaimie

Further reading suggests that a HDD power lead could be used with a
suitable adapter.

First look suggests that the HDD power leads are 12V so any spare ones
could be used.

I do have one lead that goes back to the PSU with nothing on it.
[IIRC you can hang several (at least 2?) HDD/DVD/whatever devices on a
single lead from the PSU.]

Further further reading suggests that you should use 2 x HDD power
connectors to one 8 ping GPU connector.
I am now puzzling if this is two off the same lead (because thicker
copper is enough) or 2 off different leads (in which case I may have a
problem).
Further etc. suggests that Molex connectors are the ones to use, as they
are more robust than SATA.

<https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Matters-2-Pack-8-Pin-Molex/dp/B07QFSL8VW/>

Something like this?

"PSU UPGRADE SAVER power cable provides an option for a power supply
without a PCIe connection for GPU power; Dual Molex connectors are
designed to connect to separate rails on different Molex daisy chains to
power a PCIe video graphics card from an older PSU"

So two separate daisy chains.
What about other devices on the daisy chains?

Grasping at straws for a short term fix but for £6.50 this might be a
holding option.

Bigger PSU is the obvious answer.

Different case possibly, because the spare spaces I have are 5.25" and I
seem to need to remove the 3.5" tray which has 2 * HDD and one SSD in an
adapter.
£16.50 or so for 3 adapters from 3.5" to 5.25".
A lot of silk pursing from the current sow's ear.

However a new case looks to be £argh!

Now chasing my tail.

Cheers

Dave R