If you go out of your mind, do it quietly, so as not to disturb those around you.

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?

SubjectAuthor
* BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
+* Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?Norman Wells
|+* Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?MB
||+* Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?Mark Carver
|||+* Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?NY
|||`* Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
||| `- Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?Andy Burns
||+- Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?Norman Wells
||`- Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
|`* Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
| `- Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?alan_m
+- Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?John Hall
+* Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?Jeff Layman
|`* Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?alan_m
| `* Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
|  `* Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?MB
|   +* Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?Andy Burns
|   |+* Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?MB
|   ||`- Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?MB
|   |`- Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?Mark Carver
|   `* Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?alan_m
|    `- Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?charles
+* Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?Jim Lesurf
|`* Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?Max Demian
| `- Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?Jim Lesurf
`* Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?JNugent
 +- Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
 `- Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?JNugent

Pages:12
Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?

<j8guckFiscqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32238&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#32238

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 11:03:45 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 11:03 UTC

MB wrote:

> I have never watched any of them but just sounds as if Neighbours follows in the
> tradition of Crossroads!

Well, Tony Hatch wrote the theme tunes for both

Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?

<j8h0ioFj9o1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32239&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#32239

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 11:41:12 +0000
 by: alan_m - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 11:41 UTC

On 05/03/2022 10:08, MB wrote:

> I have never watched any of them but just sounds as if Neighbours
> follows in the tradition of Crossroads!

The cardboard sets didn't wobble in Neighbours :)

Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?

<j8h0plFjcofU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32240&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#32240

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 11:44:53 +0000
 by: alan_m - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 11:44 UTC

On 05/03/2022 09:48, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

> Its a great shame that the BBC seem to have flogged off their old good
> stuff to a commercial channel for re runs.
>
> Brian

Possibly because the licence payer provided the cash to commission and
make the programs but never had the rights to show them more than a
couple of times.

Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?

<59c4650c9dcharles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32243&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#32243

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2022 12:01:00 +0000 (GMT)
 by: charles - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 12:01 UTC

In article <j8h0ioFj9o1U1@mid.individual.net>,
alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On 05/03/2022 10:08, MB wrote:

> > I have never watched any of them but just sounds as if Neighbours
> > follows in the tradition of Crossroads!

> The cardboard sets didn't wobble in Neighbours :)

The Kenny Everett version "Cobblers" was better

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?

<59c45e3a96noise@audiomisc.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32245&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#32245

From: noi...@audiomisc.co.uk (Jim Lesurf)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2022 10:46:30 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Jim Lesurf - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 10:46 UTC

In article <JOmdnaivcLrQwb__nZ2dnUU7-IPNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, Max
Demian
<max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> Actually the delay only applies to podcasts through a third party
> podcatcher (like Podcast Addict), and the ability to download the MP3
> from the programme website. They are still broadcasting the programme as
> scheduled on Radio 4, in fact I have just recorded it from Freeview on
> my Humax.

Thanks, I'd not checked that. I *have* found that if I use gip to obtain a
radio file from the BBC broadcast schedules pages I generally get the
'extended podcast' version which tends to be longer than the broadcast
slot. But I rarely listen live to my favourites as I prefer to play them
when I can pay attention and/or rewind them.

That makes the policy a bit more sensible as it is delaying 'non BBC'
availability which might then not be 'counted' in terms of being someone
'listening to the BBC' and also makes 'Zounds' more attractive for people
wanting BBC material.

Jim

Electronics https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm

Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?

<1ubphg89c7mi6.z8k3ql7s1hbw$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32248&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#32248

From: giraffen...@homecall.co.uk (PeterC)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 15:16:16 +0000
 by: PeterC - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 15:16 UTC

On Fri, 4 Mar 2022 09:32:40 -0000, NY wrote:

> The real problem with trailers is that even when BBC is running late because
> it has prioritised sport ahead of a scheduled programme, it *still* runs all
> its trailers (you almost get the impression that find a few extra ones!)
> instead of ditching them to try and claw back a few minutes to get back on
> schedule.

Even run a trailer for the next programme on, even when running late.

Some com. channels run trailers for the programme that's running!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?

<t0278o$6h1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32257&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#32257

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 11:51:49 +0000
 by: MB - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 11:51 UTC

On 06/03/2022 09:23, Martin wrote:
> There was an odd article in The Telegraph justifying the spending of £87million
> on a new Eastenders set on the basis of how little the old one had cost when
> spread over 40 years. Odd because the DT is consistently anti anything the BBC
> produces. Do they really expect Eastenders to last another 40 years? Viewing
> figures are below 4 million now, about the same as Death in Paradise, which must
> be die for the chop soon.

They showed the new set on The One Show on Friday.

The old set was in a poor state and not pleasant to work in because it
is unheated. It was never designed to last so long.

The new set saves money with simple things like being able to shoot
scenes in a doorway from both sides because the old set only had the
frontage of the buildings, so saving time.

I never watch any soaps but the series still seems to be very popular
and probably a lot cheaper to make than the American soaps that some
channels are so fond of.

Unlike you I do not have access to full BARB data but from the public
figures it seems to be getting more than the figure you quote.

Also shown in several other countries.

I think they get some grants / subsidies in the areas where it is filmed.

Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?

<j8k2klF6mmsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32261&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#32261

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 15:34:46 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 15:34 UTC

On 06/03/2022 09:23, Martin wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Mar 2022 11:03:45 +0000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
>
>> MB wrote:
>>
>>> I have never watched any of them but just sounds as if Neighbours follows in the
>>> tradition of Crossroads!
>> Well, Tony Hatch wrote the theme tunes for both
> and the one that was set in Spain which never had a real chance to get going.

No, that was Simon May (of Howard's Way theme tune fame)

Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?

<t02lqk$mh3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32262&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#32262

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 16:00:19 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 16:00 UTC

I don't know about Sky as I've never bothered with it. Incidentally I notice
that after a day not being there, more 4 is back. Did it really go away for
a couple of days, or was it yet another Samsung idiosyncrasy like the one I
had to do a factory reset for a week ago after an update?
I do wish those who write software for tv sets would thoroughly test they
code before inflicting it on the public. Yes they were helpful, but they
should not have had to be, it should just work!

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Martin" <me@address.invalid> wrote in message
> On Fri, 4 Mar 2022 20:16:46 +0000, JNugent <jennings&co@fastmail.fm>
> wrote:
>
>>On 04/03/2022 08:23 am, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
>>
>>> There are some odd decisions being made of late and this and the four
>>> week
>>> delay in Inside Science podcasts are but two of them.
>>> BBC 3 it seems nobody was watching before when it was on direct to
>>> air,
>>> they never watched it online or I suspect now its back on air again.
>>> Most
>>> of its shows would fit into some holes in the other bbc channels
>>> schedules
>>> in any case. Since TV in general has gone down the inane and infantile
>>> route
>>> anyway, nobody would be any the wiser. Indeed ITV are producing better
>>> dramas these days.
>>> Also on another tack, is anyone really upset that Neighbours will
>>> cease
>>> production soon in OZ?
>>> In my view most soaps are now past their sell by date by quite a way.
>>> Brian
>>
>>At least it proves that the BBC are not credible or truthful when they
>>complain about lack of money.
>
> Nobody ever thought they were :-)
>

>>There is clearly scope for a reduction in the annual BBC Tax every year
>>between now and the end of the corporation's charter.
>
> There's similar case for doing the same to Sky.
> --
>
> Martin in Zuid Holland

Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?

<j8k5i7F7905U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32263&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#32263

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 16:24:39 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 16:24 UTC

On 06/03/2022 09:13 am, Martin wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Mar 2022 20:16:46 +0000, JNugent <jennings&co@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
>> On 04/03/2022 08:23 am, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
>>
>>> There are some odd decisions being made of late and this and the four week
>>> delay in Inside Science podcasts are but two of them.
>>> BBC 3 it seems nobody was watching before when it was on direct to air,
>>> they never watched it online or I suspect now its back on air again. Most
>>> of its shows would fit into some holes in the other bbc channels schedules
>>> in any case. Since TV in general has gone down the inane and infantile route
>>> anyway, nobody would be any the wiser. Indeed ITV are producing better
>>> dramas these days.
>>> Also on another tack, is anyone really upset that Neighbours will cease
>>> production soon in OZ?
>>> In my view most soaps are now past their sell by date by quite a way.
>>> Brian
>>
>> At least it proves that the BBC are not credible or truthful when they
>> complain about lack of money.
>
> Nobody ever thought they were :-)
>

>> There is clearly scope for a reduction in the annual BBC Tax every year
>> between now and the end of the corporation's charter.
>
> There's similar case for doing the same to Sky.

I didn't know that a subscription to Sky was compulsory as a gateway to
watching other channels.

When did that happen?

Re: BBC 3 Why is it back on Freeview?

<t0a1h5$lq5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32361&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#32361

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 11:03:01 +0000
 by: MB - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 11:03 UTC

On 09/03/2022 09:13, Martin wrote:
> Elstree Boreham Wood?

That was referring to the comment about Death in Paradise, should have
made it clearer.