Wad some power the giftie gie us To see oursels as others see us. -- R. Burns

aus+uk / uk.rec.cars.maintenance / Re: OT: Car for new driver.

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Car for new driver.Chris Bacon
+- Re: OT: Car for new driver.Adrian Caspersz
+* Re: OT: Car for new driver.Theo
|`* Re: OT: Car for new driver.Dave Plowman (News)
| `- Re: OT: Car for new driver.Theo
+- Re: OT: Car for new driver.Tim+
+- Re: OT: Car for new driver.Peter Hill
+- Re: OT: Car for new driver.Brian
`- Re: OT: Car for new driver.Chris Bacon

1
OT: Car for new driver.

<slonpd$i8c$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=322&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#322

From: chris.p....@maildrop.cc (Chris Bacon)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Subject: OT: Car for new driver.
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2021 12:49:48 +0000
 by: Chris Bacon - Mon, 1 Nov 2021 12:49 UTC

19-y-o (soon to be 20), has had moped & 125 since getting provisional
licence at 16, needs cheap reliable economical car with cheap insurance,
about £2,000, not more.

Have been looking at cars registered around 2011-2012, some
possibilities incl. Corsa, peugeot 107, citroen c1, etc. Does not want a
written-off repaired one, or to take parental contributions!

Is something reasonable possible at this price, not all dented or
chavved up?

Some of these 10-year-olds seem to have horrific MOT records, indicating
neglect of maintenance, I suppose that's "the modern motoring public"...

Re: OT: Car for new driver.

<iuachiFg30kU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=323&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#323

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Subject: Re: OT: Car for new driver.
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2021 14:39:46 +0000
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Mon, 1 Nov 2021 14:39 UTC

On 01/11/2021 12:49, Chris Bacon wrote:
> 19-y-o (soon to be 20), has had moped & 125 since getting provisional
> licence at 16, needs cheap reliable economical car with cheap insurance,
> about £2,000, not more.
>
> Have been looking at cars registered around 2011-2012, some
> possibilities incl. Corsa, peugeot 107, citroen c1, etc. Does not want a
> written-off repaired one, or to take parental contributions!

There are a few youtube video about on this subject.

e.g.

Top 10 CHEAPEST First Cars With CHEAP INSURANCE For 17-Year-Olds &
Students (UNDER £1,000)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfY0zv1M9tQ

And then

Chops Garage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT_S4n3zhY8gvUY04GVlz3g

Where he flips and polishes up old used cars for a living, them bought
from auctions. Some don't look too bad?

--
Adrian C

Re: OT: Car for new driver.

<bPf*c6byy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=324&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#324

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: 01 Nov 2021 23:36:41 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Mon, 1 Nov 2021 23:36 UTC

Chris Bacon <chris.p.bacon@maildrop.cc> wrote:
> 19-y-o (soon to be 20), has had moped & 125 since getting provisional
> licence at 16, needs cheap reliable economical car with cheap insurance,
> about £2,000, not more.

Parkers have a database of insurance groups:
https://www.parkers.co.uk/car-insurance/cheap-cars/
although I think cars are weighted by past claims, so it doesn't depend
entirely on the group.

> Have been looking at cars registered around 2011-2012, some
> possibilities incl. Corsa, peugeot 107, citroen c1, etc. Does not want a
> written-off repaired one, or to take parental contributions!
>
> Is something reasonable possible at this price, not all dented or
> chavved up?

Used car prices are quite high at the moment - more people wanting to buy
cars post-lockdown. I priced up my 15yo car and the going rate is more than
I paid for it 5 years ago!

> Some of these 10-year-olds seem to have horrific MOT records, indicating
> neglect of maintenance, I suppose that's "the modern motoring public"...

It seems like there's a certain category of popular 'first car' vehicles, and they
might not have been well looked after. I wonder if there's certain vehicles
which are not on the teenage popularity list and so are in better condition.
Fancy a Dacia Sandero, for example (group 2)?
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202110017997214

Theo

Re: OT: Car for new driver.

<5984cb83d2dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=325&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#325

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2021 00:03:14 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Tue, 2 Nov 2021 00:03 UTC

In article <bPf*c6byy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Used car prices are quite high at the moment - more people wanting to
> buy cars post-lockdown. I priced up my 15yo car and the going rate is
> more than I paid for it 5 years ago!

There may be some bargains in London for relatively recent diesels - up to
about 2015. As earlier ones have to pay to drive in the new ULEZ.
Somewhere between 100-300,000 vehicles, including older petrol.

--
*Frankly, scallop, I don't give a clam

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: OT: Car for new driver.

<1582930329.657544714.968027.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=326&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#326

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: 2 Nov 2021 11:19:26 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Tue, 2 Nov 2021 11:19 UTC

Chris Bacon <chris.p.bacon@maildrop.cc> wrote:
> 19-y-o (soon to be 20), has had moped & 125 since getting provisional
> licence at 16, needs cheap reliable economical car with cheap insurance,
> about £2,000, not more.
>
> Have been looking at cars registered around 2011-2012, some
> possibilities incl. Corsa, peugeot 107, citroen c1, etc. Does not want a
> written-off repaired one, or to take parental contributions!
>
> Is something reasonable possible at this price, not all dented or
> chavved up?
>
> Some of these 10-year-olds seem to have horrific MOT records, indicating
> neglect of maintenance, I suppose that's "the modern motoring public"...

Deeply unfashionable estate cars are sometimes surprisingly cheap to insure
for youngsters. Worth a look.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: OT: Car for new driver.

<sm07gi$5s7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=332&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#332

From: skys...@yahoo.com (Peter Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2021 09:01:16 +0000
 by: Peter Hill - Thu, 4 Nov 2021 09:01 UTC

On 01/11/2021 12:49, Chris Bacon wrote:
> 19-y-o (soon to be 20), has had moped & 125 since getting provisional
> licence at 16, needs cheap reliable economical car with cheap insurance,
> about £2,000, not more.
>
> Have been looking at cars registered around 2011-2012, some
> possibilities incl. Corsa, peugeot 107, citroen c1, etc. Does not want a
> written-off repaired one, or to take parental contributions!
>
> Is something reasonable possible at this price, not all dented or
> chavved up?
>
> Some of these 10-year-olds seem to have horrific MOT records, indicating
> neglect of maintenance, I suppose that's "the modern motoring public"...

Small vans like Bedford HA used to be cheaper to insure. Won't be
getting 4 mates in it for a night out. Maybe the van versions of these
small cars are as well.

Re: OT: Car for new driver.

<bPf*mUoyy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=333&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#333

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: 04 Nov 2021 09:56:01 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Thu, 4 Nov 2021 09:56 UTC

"Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <bPf*c6byy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
> Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> > Used car prices are quite high at the moment - more people wanting to
> > buy cars post-lockdown. I priced up my 15yo car and the going rate is
> > more than I paid for it 5 years ago!
>
> There may be some bargains in London for relatively recent diesels - up to
> about 2015. As earlier ones have to pay to drive in the new ULEZ.
> Somewhere between 100-300,000 vehicles, including older petrol.

Are there diesels cheap enough to insure for a teenage driver? I'd have
thought there's not much overlap between low insurance group cars and
diesels - not too many 1.0 diesel hatchbacks these days.

Theo

Re: OT: Car for new driver.

<sm0bf3$j6r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=334&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#334

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2021 10:08:35 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:kTZYrVg0grD6A+PREKluYDXrLHI=
 by: Brian - Thu, 4 Nov 2021 10:08 UTC

Chris Bacon <chris.p.bacon@maildrop.cc> wrote:
> 19-y-o (soon to be 20), has had moped & 125 since getting provisional
> licence at 16, needs cheap reliable economical car with cheap insurance,
> about £2,000, not more.
>
> Have been looking at cars registered around 2011-2012, some
> possibilities incl. Corsa, peugeot 107, citroen c1, etc. Does not want a
> written-off repaired one, or to take parental contributions!
>
> Is something reasonable possible at this price, not all dented or
> chavved up?
>
> Some of these 10-year-olds seem to have horrific MOT records, indicating
> neglect of maintenance, I suppose that's "the modern motoring public"...

Look at an Aygo.

Loads around second hand, I suspect due to clever Toyota marketing /
finance deals.

We bought a new one in Oct, Senior Management loves it. We picked it for
several reasons - weight being a key one as we tow it . Loads of gizmos
for a small car, even on the older ones.

Toyotas seem to have very good reliability etc. Virtually the same as the
C1 and 107.

Re: OT: Car for new driver.

<sm2raj$1ipe$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=340&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#340

From: chris.p....@maildrop.cc (Chris Bacon)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 08:51:31 +0000
 by: Chris Bacon - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 08:51 UTC

On 01/11/2021 12:49, Chris Bacon wrote:
> 19-y-o (soon to be 20), has had moped & 125 since getting provisional
> licence at 16, needs cheap reliable economical car with cheap insurance,
> about £2,000, not more.
>
> Have been looking at cars registered around 2011-2012, some
> possibilities incl. Corsa, peugeot 107, citroen c1, etc. Does not want a
> written-off repaired one, or to take parental contributions!
>
> Is something reasonable possible at this price, not all dented or
> chavved up?
>
> Some of these 10-year-olds seem to have horrific MOT records, indicating
> neglect of maintenance, I suppose that's "the modern motoring public"...

Well, thanks various - after a few days looking around, a Vauxhall Corsa
1.2 16V Limited Edition 3dr 2014 was bought at auction, £2,400. Highish
mileage, just over 100,000, but I'd pick higher mileage over higher age
any day. New exhaust system fitted this year, also new timing chain &
waterpump, oil & filter. A couple of minor niggles (glove box door,
vent) were fixed, it looks good. Ooh, shiny!

"Black box" insurance was coming out at about £1,500, but adding me as a
named driver (?!) reduced that by about £300, which was nice.