How come we never talk anymore?

aus+uk / aus.cars / Re: $700 Range Rover

SubjectAuthor
* $700 Range RoverMighty Mouse
+* Re: $700 Range RoverXeno
|`* Re: $700 Range RoverMighty Mouse
| `* Re: $700 Range RoverXeno
|  `* Re: $700 Range RoverMighty Mouse
|   `* Re: $700 Range RoverXeno
|    `* Re: $700 Range RoverMighty Mouse
|     `* Re: $700 Range RoverXeno
|      `* Re: $700 Range RoverMighty Mouse
|       `- Re: $700 Range RoverXeno
`* Re: $700 Range RoverClocky
 `* Re: $700 Range RoverXeno
  `* Re: $700 Range RoverOzix
   +- Re: $700 Range RoverXeno
   `* Re: $700 Range RoverClocky
    `- Re: $700 Range RoverXeno

1
$700 Range Rover

<l2ap42F3oeuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32559&group=aus.cars#32559

From: "squea...@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: $700 Range Rover
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 11:40:33 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 00:40 UTC

https://auslink.info/video/range_rover.mp4

The intricacy of the gearbox surprised me.. all those fluid channels
with springs, levers, etc.,. and also the short lifespan of it. no
wonder manufacturers are moving to CVT's

btw, if you have facebook you can see more of his videos here ..
https://www.facebook.com/SamcracAuto

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: $700 Range Rover

<l2be2rF6pldU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32560&group=aus.cars#32560

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: $700 Range Rover
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 17:38:19 +1100
 by: Xeno - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 06:38 UTC

On 5/2/2024 11:40 am, Mighty Mouse wrote:

> https://auslink.info/video/range_rover.mp4

Saw it a month back when he first released the video.

> The intricacy of the gearbox surprised me..

Simpler and way more flexible than it would be if it were fully hydraulic.

> all those fluid channels with springs, levers, etc.,.
Actually simpler vis a vis the fluid channels than a fully hydraulic
controlled trans. All the required "circuits" are there, they just
aren't all fully hydraulic any more. A good example is the governor valve.

https://www.freeasestudyguides.com/transmission-governor.html

In the past the governor weights controlled governor pressure according
to how fast the governor was turning. That functionality has been
replaced by the Vehicle Speed Sensor and the governor pressure solenoid.
The trans computer gets the road speed signal from the VSS and varies
the PWM signal to the governor pressure solenoid. Note the VSS was
already present in the car supplying road speed signals to other devices
such as the speedo, trip computer, etc. The VSS signal can be checked
for rationality against other similar signals such as the wheel speed
sensors at each wheel assembly. Simpler and way more flexible!

> and also the short lifespan of it.

The issue is not one of lifespan, it is one of *servicing*. Trans these
days use a lifetime fluid - but don't believe it. The problem with full
electronic over hydraulic trans is that those solenoids fail - and most
of the time they fail due to gummy trans fluid. Trans fluid has a high
detergent component in it. When that breaks down over time, and it will,
the fluid goes gummy with a varnish, especially if you load the trans up
a lot. That varnish layer coats the plungers, solenoids and the like -
makes them stick. Doesn't do a lot that's good for shift timings. When
you change the trans fluid, you rejuvenate the additives in it and it
cleans off the varnish buildup. Best not to let the varnish build up so
change the fluid frequently.

The 4 speed Aisin (Toyota) trans in the Swift is good for 500,000
kilometres and more if not abused and fluid changes are regular.

> no wonder manufacturers are moving to CVT's

CVTs tend to have a shorter lifespan.

> btw, if you have facebook you can see more of his videos here ..
> https://www.facebook.com/SamcracAuto

I subscribed to his channel long ago - an interesting character. His
stepmother ain't too foul either! ;-)

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: $700 Range Rover

<l2c1phFam9eU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32562&group=aus.cars#32562

From: "squea...@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 23:14:38 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 12:14 UTC

so how did you know about him?

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: $700 Range Rover

<l2cu1fFfj8vU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32563&group=aus.cars#32563

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: 5 Feb 2024 20:16:48 GMT
 by: Xeno - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 20:16 UTC

Mighty Mouse <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:
> Xeno wrote:
>> On 5/2/2024 11:40 am, Mighty Mouse wrote:
>>>
>>> https://auslink.info/video/range_rover.mp4
>>
>> Saw it a month back when he first released the video.
>>>
>>> The intricacy of the gearbox surprised me..
>>
>> Simpler and way more flexible than it would be if it were fully
>> hydraulic.
>>
>>> all those fluid channels with springs, levers, etc.,.
>> Actually simpler vis a vis the fluid channels than a fully hydraulic
>> controlled trans. All the required "circuits" are there, they just
>> aren't all fully hydraulic any more. A good example is the governor
>> valve.
>>
>> https://www.freeasestudyguides.com/transmission-governor.html
>>
>> In the past the governor weights controlled governor pressure
>> according to how fast the governor was turning. That functionality has
>> been replaced by the Vehicle Speed Sensor and the governor pressure
>> solenoid. The trans computer gets the road speed signal from the VSS
>> and varies the PWM signal to the governor pressure solenoid. Note the
>> VSS was already present in the car supplying road speed signals to
>> other devices such as the speedo, trip computer, etc. The VSS signal
>> can be checked for rationality against other similar signals such as
>> the wheel speed sensors at each wheel assembly. Simpler and way more
>> flexible!
>>
>>> and also the short lifespan of it.
>>
>> The issue is not one of lifespan, it is one of *servicing*. Trans
>> these days use a lifetime fluid - but don't believe it. The problem
>> with full electronic over hydraulic trans is that those solenoids fail
>> - and most of the time they fail due to gummy trans fluid. Trans fluid
>> has a high detergent component in it. When that breaks down over time,
>> and it will, the fluid goes gummy with a varnish, especially if you
>> load the trans up a lot. That varnish layer coats the plungers,
>> solenoids and the like - makes them stick. Doesn't do a lot that's
>> good for shift timings. When you change the trans fluid, you
>> rejuvenate the additives in it and it cleans off the varnish buildup.
>> Best not to let the varnish build up so change the fluid frequently.
>>
>> The 4 speed Aisin (Toyota) trans in the Swift is good for 500,000
>> kilometres and more if not abused and fluid changes are regular.
>>
>>> no wonder manufacturers are moving to CVT's
>>
>> CVTs tend to have a shorter lifespan.
>>>
>>> btw, if you have facebook you can see more of his videos here ..
>>> https://www.facebook.com/SamcracAuto
>>>
>> I subscribed to his channel long ago - an interesting character. His
>> stepmother ain't too foul either!   ;-)
>>

> so how did you know about him?

Like everyone else I guess, I watched his vids. He’s been posting to
YouTube quite a while now.

____
Xeno

Re: $700 Range Rover

<l2d6akFgu61U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32564&group=aus.cars#32564

From: "squea...@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 09:38:11 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 22:38 UTC

Xeno wrote:
> Mighty Mouse <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:
>> Xeno wrote:
>>> Saw it a month back when he first released the video.
>>> Simpler and way more flexible than it would be if it were fully
>>> hydraulic.

>>> Actually simpler vis a vis the fluid channels than a fully hydraulic
>>> controlled trans. All the required "circuits" are there, they just
>>> aren't all fully hydraulic any more. A good example is the governor
>>> valve.
>>>
>>> https://www.freeasestudyguides.com/transmission-governor.html
>>>
>>> In the past the governor weights controlled governor pressure
>>> according to how fast the governor was turning. That functionality has
>>> been replaced by the Vehicle Speed Sensor and the governor pressure
>>> solenoid. The trans computer gets the road speed signal from the VSS
>>> and varies the PWM signal to the governor pressure solenoid. Note the
>>> VSS was already present in the car supplying road speed signals to
>>> other devices such as the speedo, trip computer, etc. The VSS signal
>>> can be checked for rationality against other similar signals such as
>>> the wheel speed sensors at each wheel assembly. Simpler and way more
>>> flexible!

>>> The issue is not one of lifespan, it is one of *servicing*. Trans
>>> these days use a lifetime fluid - but don't believe it. The problem
>>> with full electronic over hydraulic trans is that those solenoids fail
>>> - and most of the time they fail due to gummy trans fluid. Trans fluid
>>> has a high detergent component in it. When that breaks down over time,
>>> and it will, the fluid goes gummy with a varnish, especially if you
>>> load the trans up a lot. That varnish layer coats the plungers,
>>> solenoids and the like - makes them stick. Doesn't do a lot that's
>>> good for shift timings. When you change the trans fluid, you
>>> rejuvenate the additives in it and it cleans off the varnish buildup.
>>> Best not to let the varnish build up so change the fluid frequently.
>>>
>>> The 4 speed Aisin (Toyota) trans in the Swift is good for 500,000
>>> kilometres and more if not abused and fluid changes are regular.

>>> CVTs tend to have a shorter lifespan.
>>>>
>>> I subscribed to his channel long ago - an interesting character. His
>>> stepmother ain't too foul either!   ;-)
>>>
>> so how did you know about him?
>>
> Like everyone else I guess, I watched his vids. He’s been posting to
> YouTube quite a while now.

Oh ok. I didn't know he was a youtuber. I just saw it on my Instagram feed.

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: $700 Range Rover

<65c1764a$1@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32565&group=aus.cars#32565

Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 07:59:05 +0800
Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: yep...@ausics.net (Clocky)
 by: Clocky - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 23:59 UTC

On 2/5/2024 8:40 AM, Mighty Mouse wrote:

> https://auslink.info/video/range_rover.mp4
>
> The intricacy of the gearbox surprised me.. all those fluid channels
> with springs, levers, etc.,. and also the short lifespan of it. no
> wonder manufacturers are moving to CVT's

Conventional auto's, when serviced and maintained correctly will last
hundreds of thousands of KM's. That Range Rover one probably wasn't
serviced or maintained - plus it's a Range Rover and they are garbage.

> btw, if you have facebook you can see more of his videos here ..
> https://www.facebook.com/SamcracAuto

Seen his videos before. $700 on that heap of shit is about $700 too much.

--
In thread "May need to buy petrol soon" Sept 23 2021 11:15:59am
Keithr0 wrote: "He made the assertion either he proves it or he is a

On Sept 23 2021 3:16:29pm Keithr0 wrote:
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if it is unproven, he is lying."

Re: $700 Range Rover

<l2dbi4FhjptU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32566&group=aus.cars#32566

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 11:07:32 +1100
 by: Xeno - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 00:07 UTC

On 6/2/2024 9:38 am, Mighty Mouse wrote:
> Xeno wrote:
>> Mighty Mouse <"squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:

>>> so how did you know about him?
>>>
>> Like everyone else I guess, I watched his vids. He’s been posting to
>> YouTube quite a while now.
>
> Oh ok. I didn't know he was a youtuber. I just saw it on my Instagram feed.

For years now, 10 maybe? More?

This link might explain the step mom deal - esp. the comments.

https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/17lq1v5/car_guy_helps_service_famous_step_moms_car/

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: $700 Range Rover

<l2dc3aFhjptU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32567&group=aus.cars#32567

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 11:16:42 +1100
 by: Xeno - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 00:16 UTC

On 6/2/2024 10:59 am, Clocky wrote:
> On 2/5/2024 8:40 AM, Mighty Mouse wrote:
>>
>> https://auslink.info/video/range_rover.mp4
>>
>> The intricacy of the gearbox surprised me.. all those fluid channels
>> with springs, levers, etc.,. and also the short lifespan of it. no
>> wonder manufacturers are moving to CVT's
>>

> Conventional auto's, when serviced and maintained correctly will last
> hundreds of thousands of KM's. That Range Rover one probably wasn't
> serviced or maintained - plus it's a Range Rover and they are garbage.

Ah, but the trans is a ZF

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_Friedrichshafen

A specialist OEM transmission maker of high repute.

>> btw, if you have facebook you can see more of his videos here ..
>> https://www.facebook.com/SamcracAuto
>>

> Seen his videos before. $700 on that heap of shit is about $700 too much.

$1400 too much.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: $700 Range Rover

<65c18c41$1@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32568&group=aus.cars#32568

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: ozi...@xizo.am (Ozix)
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 09:32:49 +0800
 by: Ozix - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 01:32 UTC

Xeno wrote:
> On 6/2/2024 10:59 am, Clocky wrote:
>> On 2/5/2024 8:40 AM, Mighty Mouse wrote:
>>>
>>> https://auslink.info/video/range_rover.mp4
>>>
>>> The intricacy of the gearbox surprised me.. all those fluid channels
>>> with springs, levers, etc.,. and also the short lifespan of it. no
>>> wonder manufacturers are moving to CVT's
>>>

>> Conventional auto's, when serviced and maintained correctly will last
>> hundreds of thousands of KM's. That Range Rover one probably wasn't
>> serviced or maintained - plus it's a Range Rover and they are garbage.
>
> Ah, but the trans is a ZF
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_Friedrichshafen
>
> A specialist OEM transmission maker of high repute.

Some Range Rovers of the early noughties had the GM 5L40E tranny
instead. They had multiple points of failure, and were quite expensive
to rebuild.

Re: $700 Range Rover

<l2dnp8FjejmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32569&group=aus.cars#32569

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 14:36:08 +1100
 by: Xeno - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 03:36 UTC

On 6/2/2024 12:32 pm, Ozix wrote:
> Xeno wrote:

>>> Conventional auto's, when serviced and maintained correctly will last
>>> hundreds of thousands of KM's. That Range Rover one probably wasn't
>>> serviced or maintained - plus it's a Range Rover and they are garbage.
>>
>> Ah, but the trans is a ZF
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_Friedrichshafen
>>
>> A specialist OEM transmission maker of high repute.
>
> Some Range Rovers of the early noughties had the GM 5L40E tranny

Some? Only the L322 and even then only the TD6 equipped model from
2002-2005. So a very limited range then.

> instead. They had multiple points of failure, and were quite expensive
> to rebuild.

More than I would be comfortable with, that is for sure.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: $700 Range Rover

<l2e6o7Fm71qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32570&group=aus.cars#32570

From: "squea...@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 18:51:33 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 07:51 UTC

yeah, I saw her on this video ..
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1079943276767755

didn't know she was a porn star tho

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: $700 Range Rover

<l2eaipFmrteU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32571&group=aus.cars#32571

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 19:56:57 +1100
 by: Xeno - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 08:56 UTC

On 6/2/2024 6:51 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
> Xeno wrote:

>>> Oh ok. I didn't know he was a youtuber. I just saw it on my Instagram
>>> feed.
>>>
>> For years now, 10 maybe? More?
>>
>> This link might explain the step mom deal - esp. the comments.
>>
>> https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/17lq1v5/car_guy_helps_service_famous_step_moms_car/
>>

> yeah, I saw her on this video ..
> https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1079943276767755
>
> didn't know she was a porn star tho

Life is full of little surprises! ;-)

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: $700 Range Rover

<l2ecj7Fn7kkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32572&group=aus.cars#32572

From: "squea...@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 20:31:18 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 09:31 UTC

Xeno wrote:
> On 6/2/2024 6:51 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
>> Xeno wrote:

>>> For years now, 10 maybe? More?
>>>
>>> This link might explain the step mom deal - esp. the comments.
>>>
>>> https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/17lq1v5/car_guy_helps_service_famous_step_moms_car/
>>>

>> yeah, I saw her on this video ..
>> https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1079943276767755
>>
>> didn't know she was a porn star tho
>>
> Life is full of little surprises!  ;-)

LOL. I want to be surprised by a phone call telling me I've won
tattslotto!  :)

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: $700 Range Rover

<l2edckFmrteU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32573&group=aus.cars#32573

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 20:44:51 +1100
 by: Xeno - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 09:44 UTC

On 6/2/2024 8:31 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
> Xeno wrote:

>>> yeah, I saw her on this video ..
>>> https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1079943276767755
>>>
>>> didn't know she was a porn star tho
>>>
>> Life is full of little surprises!  ;-)
>>

> LOL. I want to be surprised by a phone call telling me I've won
> tattslotto!  :)

That's a *big* surprise and, needless to say, an order of magnitude less
likely!

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: $700 Range Rover

<65c30884$1@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32574&group=aus.cars#32574

Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 12:35:15 +0800
Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: yep...@ausics.net (Clocky)
 by: Clocky - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 04:35 UTC

On 6/02/2024 9:32 am, Ozix wrote:
> Xeno wrote:

>>> Conventional auto's, when serviced and maintained correctly will last
>>> hundreds of thousands of KM's. That Range Rover one probably wasn't
>>> serviced or maintained - plus it's a Range Rover and they are garbage.
>>
>> Ah, but the trans is a ZF
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_Friedrichshafen
>>
>> A specialist OEM transmission maker of high repute.
>
> Some Range Rovers of the early noughties had the GM 5L40E tranny
> instead. They had multiple points of failure, and were quite expensive
> to rebuild.

The cars had multiple points of failure and were quite expensive to own.
But that's just normal for Range Rovers.

--
In thread "May need to buy petrol soon" Sept 23 2021 11:15:59am
Keithr0 wrote: "He made the assertion either he proves it or he is a
proven liar."

On Sept 23 2021 3:16:29pm Keithr0 wrote:
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if it is unproven, he is lying."

Re: $700 Range Rover

<l2h0i1F6gqmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32575&group=aus.cars#32575

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 20:24:17 +1100
 by: Xeno - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 09:24 UTC

On 7/2/2024 3:35 pm, Clocky wrote:
> On 6/02/2024 9:32 am, Ozix wrote:
>> Xeno wrote:

>>> Ah, but the trans is a ZF
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_Friedrichshafen
>>>
>>> A specialist OEM transmission maker of high repute.
>>
>> Some Range Rovers of the early noughties had the GM 5L40E tranny
>> instead. They had multiple points of failure, and were quite expensive
>> to rebuild.
>
> The cars had multiple points of failure and were quite expensive to own.
> But that's just normal for Range Rovers.

Agreed! The 5L40E transmission was probably one of the least expensive
of the multiple points of failure built into Range Rovers! A friend's
Range Rover turned into a money pit for him - just as I predicted when I
warned him against buying one.