I surely do hope that's a syntax error. -- Larry Wall in <199710011752.KAA21624@wall.org>

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: Are there any steam hauled excursions going North of Carlisle?

SubjectAuthor
* Are there any steam hauled excursions going North of Carlisle?Alan
+- Are there any steam hauled excursions going North of Carlisle?Tweed
+* Are there any steam hauled excursions going North of Carlisle?Recliner
|+- Are there any steam hauled excursions going North of Carlisle?Certes
|`- Are there any steam hauled excursions going North of Carlisle?MB
`- Are there any steam hauled excursions going North of Carlisle?Anna Noyd-Dryver

1
Are there any steam hauled excursions going North of Carlisle?

<YISdnfdv_uUV7iX_nZ2dnUU7-Sth4p2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32586&group=uk.railway#32586

From: ala...@darkroom.+.com (Alan)
Subject: Are there any steam hauled excursions going North of Carlisle?
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 09:56:08 -0500
 by: Alan - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 14:56 UTC

AIUI, most charters change their steam engine for an electric/diesel for
the run Nprth of Carlisle to Glasgow etc.
The Great Briton (ain?) land cruise and others typically use this route 2
or more times a year.
I cant recall any steam charter going into Glasgow at all, does anyone
know of any that do go North of Carlisle on the WCML/GSW?
Thanks
Alan.

Re: Are there any steam hauled excursions going North of Carlisle?

<t99t72$3ungc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32587&group=uk.railway#32587

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 15:15:46 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:EUJUk0TrqYq7mazFz/rjBpjL/NQ=
 by: Tweed - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 15:15 UTC

Alan <alan@darkroom.+.com> wrote:
> AIUI, most charters change their steam engine for an electric/diesel for
> the run Nprth of Carlisle to Glasgow etc.
> The Great Briton (ain?) land cruise and others typically use this route 2
> or more times a year.
> I cant recall any steam charter going into Glasgow at all, does anyone
> know of any that do go North of Carlisle on the WCML/GSW?
> Thanks
> Alan.

Not quite what you are asking, but the Tornado Clyde Aberdonian claims to
start at Glasgow, then Sterling to Aberdeen.

Re: Are there any steam hauled excursions going North of Carlisle?

<t99tju$3uotn$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32588&group=uk.railway#32588

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 15:22:38 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:1YAXHxyKRGPGFa+LSFeZNg1xRfo=
 by: Recliner - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 15:22 UTC

Alan <alan@darkroom.+.com> wrote:
> AIUI, most charters change their steam engine for an electric/diesel for
> the run Nprth of Carlisle to Glasgow etc.
> The Great Briton (ain?) land cruise and others typically use this route 2
> or more times a year.
> I cant recall any steam charter going into Glasgow at all, does anyone
> know of any that do go North of Carlisle on the WCML/GSW?

Yes, they're pretty rare. I did find:

https://secretglasgow.com/clyde-aberdonian-tornado/

<https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/whats-on/tornado-steam-train-returns-glasgow-23518924>

There are far more to Edinburgh. I think the Great Britain also usually
goes to Edinburgh, not Glasgow. This year, it went from Stirling to
Carlisle without visiting Glasgow. I guess that Glasgow Central, being a
terminus, is less steam-friendly than Waverley, and it may lack nearby
steam servicing facilities.

Re: Are there any steam hauled excursions going North of Carlisle?

<t99v9c$3uu9d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32592&group=uk.railway#32592

From: non...@nowhere.net (Certes)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 16:51:08 +0100
 by: Certes - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 15:51 UTC

On 26/06/2022 16:22, Recliner wrote:
> Alan <alan@darkroom.+.com> wrote:
>> AIUI, most charters change their steam engine for an electric/diesel for
>> the run Nprth of Carlisle to Glasgow etc.
>> The Great Briton (ain?) land cruise and others typically use this route 2
>> or more times a year.
>> I cant recall any steam charter going into Glasgow at all, does anyone
>> know of any that do go North of Carlisle on the WCML/GSW?
>
> Yes, they're pretty rare. I did find:
>
> https://secretglasgow.com/clyde-aberdonian-tornado/
>
> <https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/whats-on/tornado-steam-train-returns-glasgow-23518924>
>
> There are far more to Edinburgh. I think the Great Britain also usually
> goes to Edinburgh, not Glasgow. This year, it went from Stirling to
> Carlisle without visiting Glasgow. I guess that Glasgow Central, being a
> terminus, is less steam-friendly than Waverley, and it may lack nearby
> steam servicing facilities.

Edinburgh is also perceived as more of a tourist destination than
Glasgow, even if passengers don't get time to see much of it.

Re: Are there any steam hauled excursions going North of Carlisle?

<t99vgk$3uvpo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32593&group=uk.railway#32593

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 15:55:00 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Ra/vkdV9aH1BDm2RRczXyQUYuw4=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 15:55 UTC

Alan <alan@darkroom.+.com> wrote:
> AIUI, most charters change their steam engine for an electric/diesel for
> the run Nprth of Carlisle to Glasgow etc.
> The Great Briton (ain?) land cruise and others typically use this route 2
> or more times a year.
> I cant recall any steam charter going into Glasgow at all, does anyone
> know of any that do go North of Carlisle on the WCML/GSW?

I can't see any listed here, unfortunately

<http://www.railtourinfo.co.uk/tours.html>

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: Are there any steam hauled excursions going North of Carlisle?

<t9ab8g$8h4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32604&group=uk.railway#32604

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 20:15:27 +0100
 by: MB - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 19:15 UTC

On 26/06/2022 16:22, Recliner wrote:
> There are far more to Edinburgh. I think the Great Britain also usually
> goes to Edinburgh, not Glasgow. This year, it went from Stirling to
> Carlisle without visiting Glasgow. I guess that Glasgow Central, being a
> terminus, is less steam-friendly than Waverley, and it may lack nearby
> steam servicing facilities.

Had this work started, might make even less steam friendly.

Glasgow Central: train station set for major refurbishment after plans
approved
Glasgow Central is set to undergo a major refurbishment, after the
council approved plans.
By Jamie Callaghan
Saturday, 18th June 2022, 12:01 am
https://www.glasgowworld.com/news/people/glasgow-central-train-station-set-for-major-refurbishment-after-plans-approved-3735227