From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Some official cycling stats for 2022
Date: 6 Nov 2023 09:15:26 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 09:15 UTC

From official reports:

Averaged over the period 2018 to 2022:

- an average of 2 pedal cyclists died and 81 were seriously injured
(adjusted) per week in reported road casualties

- a majority of pedal cycle fatalities (58%) do not occur at or within 20m
of a junction compared to 33% of all seriously injured (adjusted)
casualties

- almost half (46%) of pedal cycle fatalities were in 2 vehicle collisions
between a pedal cycle and a car

- 56% of pedal cycle fatalities occurred on rural roads compared to 30% of
traffic

- 82% of pedal cycle killed or seriously injured (KSI) casualties were male

- the most common contributory factor allocated to pedal cyclists in fatal
or serious collisions (FSC) with another vehicle was ‘driver or rider
failed to look properly’. It was also the most common factor allocated to
the other vehicles involved

--
Spike

Re: Some official cycling stats for 2022

<kqsc0aFkb37U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32661&group=uk.rec.cycling#32661

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Some official cycling stats for 2022
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 14:36:58 +0000
 by: JNugent - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 14:36 UTC

On 06/11/2023 09:15 am, Spike wrote:

> From official reports:
>
> Averaged over the period 2018 to 2022:
>
> - an average of 2 pedal cyclists died and 81 were seriously injured
> (adjusted) per week in reported road casualties
>
> - a majority of pedal cycle fatalities (58%) do not occur at or within 20m
> of a junction compared to 33% of all seriously injured (adjusted)
> casualties
>
> - almost half (46%) of pedal cycle fatalities were in 2 vehicle collisions
> between a pedal cycle and a car

A "car" or a "motor vehicle" (including lorries, especially those
turning left)?

> - 56% of pedal cycle fatalities occurred on rural roads compared to 30% of
> traffic
>
> - 82% of pedal cycle killed or seriously injured (KSI) casualties were male
>
> - the most common contributory factor allocated to pedal cyclists in fatal
> or serious collisions (FSC) with another vehicle was ‘driver or rider
> failed to look properly’. It was also the most common factor allocated to
> the other vehicles involved

This is all for the UK, yes?

Re: Some official cycling stats for 2022

<kqst2aFn4u7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32662&group=uk.rec.cycling#32662

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 6 Nov 2023 19:28:10 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 19:28 UTC

JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
> On 06/11/2023 09:15 am, Spike wrote:
>>
>> From official reports:
>>
>> Averaged over the period 2018 to 2022:
>>
>> - an average of 2 pedal cyclists died and 81 were seriously injured
>> (adjusted) per week in reported road casualties
>>
>> - a majority of pedal cycle fatalities (58%) do not occur at or within 20m
>> of a junction compared to 33% of all seriously injured (adjusted)
>> casualties
>>
>> - almost half (46%) of pedal cycle fatalities were in 2 vehicle collisions
>> between a pedal cycle and a car
>
> A "car" or a "motor vehicle" (including lorries, especially those
> turning left)?
“Car” would seem to be pretty specific.

In the link below, they do a breakdown of the type of vehicle.

>> - 56% of pedal cycle fatalities occurred on rural roads compared to 30% of
>> traffic
>>
>> - 82% of pedal cycle killed or seriously injured (KSI) casualties were male
>>
>> - the most common contributory factor allocated to pedal cyclists in fatal
>> or serious collisions (FSC) with another vehicle was ‘driver or rider
>> failed to look properly’. It was also the most common factor allocated to
>> the other vehicles involved
>
> This is all for the UK, yes?

Not quite…

“National statistics

Reported road casualties in Great Britain: pedal cycle factsheet, 2022

Published 28 September 2023”

<https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/reported-road-casualties-great-britain-pedal-cyclist-factsheet-2022/reported-road-casualties-in-great-britain-pedal-cycle-factsheet-2022>

--
Spike