Booker's Law: An ounce of application is worth a ton of abstraction.

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?

SubjectAuthor
* Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?Gyp
+* Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?wessie
|`- Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?Gyp
+* Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?Pipl
|`* Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?Gyp
| `* Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?siwilson
|  `* Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?AJH
|   +* Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?siwilson
|   |+* Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?Ace
|   ||`- Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?Ace
|   |`- Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?wessie
|   `* Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?Champ
|    `* Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?AJH
|     `* Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?Pipl
|      `* Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?Turby
|       +- Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?Mark Olson
|       `- Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?Pipl
+- Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?Paul Carmichael
+* Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?Champ
|`* Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?ogden
| +* Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?wessie
| |`- Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?ogden
| `* Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?Paul Carmichael
|  `- Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?YTC#1
+- Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?Krusty
`* Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?Alan
 `* Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?Gyp
  +* Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?jeremy
  |`* Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?ogden
  | `- Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?jeremy
  `- Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?Mike Fleming

Pages:12
Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?

<sfmidl$9ke$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3266&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3266

From: a...@b.c (Gyp)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 22:28:21 +0100
 by: Gyp - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 21:28 UTC

It struck me that as Triumph refers to the things as "bank angle
sensors" that it's almost like they expect people to be using them as
such on an ongoing basis

Apart from a period back in the 80'd when I was doing inexplicably huge
lean angles on my XS400SE and folded my footrests up on every
roundabout, I don't think I've ever touched them down except when things
have gone horribly wrong.

My boots scrape a lot, but not the pegs.

Ignoring the facts that I ride like a wuss and my weight means that I
don't have to lean as far to change direction, am I unusual in not
wearing down the "bank angle sensors"?
--
Gyp

Re: Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?

<XnsAD8BE709A13D3wtymmmsas@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3267&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3267

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 21:42:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 21:42 UTC

Gyp <a@b.c> wrote in news:sfmidl$9ke$1@dont-email.me:

> It struck me that as Triumph refers to the things as "bank angle
> sensors" that it's almost like they expect people to be using them as
> such on an ongoing basis

some fellow made a query on UKGSer about the bank angle readouts on the
newer BMWs with colour TVs on the bars. He got a little upset with the
nature of the responses.

Are Triumph referring to these new fangled IMUs that are part of the
"cornering ABS" magic beans but also give top trump readouts on the phone
app connected to the colour telly?

> Apart from a period back in the 80'd when I was doing inexplicably huge
> lean angles on my XS400SE and folded my footrests up on every
> roundabout, I don't think I've ever touched them down except when things
> have gone horribly wrong.
>
> My boots scrape a lot, but not the pegs.

much the same - when my toe starts to scrape I giggle then back off a bit
as it usually means I have reached the limit of my talent and bravery

> Ignoring the facts that I ride like a wuss and my weight means that I
> don't have to lean as far to change direction, am I unusual in not
> wearing down the "bank angle sensors"?

as above, I don't think hero blob = bank angle sensor

Re: Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?

<r4kthgpkq9egq273c1h533rs071lu4m6f5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3268&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3268

From: plusc...@live.co.uk (Pipl)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 22:55:35 +0100
 by: Pipl - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 21:55 UTC

On Thu, 19 Aug 2021 22:28:21 +0100, Gyp <a@b.c> wrote:

>It struck me that as Triumph refers to the things as "bank angle
>sensors" that it's almost like they expect people to be using them as
>such on an ongoing basis
>
>Apart from a period back in the 80'd when I was doing inexplicably huge
>lean angles on my XS400SE and folded my footrests up on every
>roundabout, I don't think I've ever touched them down except when things
>have gone horribly wrong.
>
>My boots scrape a lot, but not the pegs.
>
>Ignoring the facts that I ride like a wuss and my weight means that I
>don't have to lean as far to change direction, am I unusual in not
>wearing down the "bank angle sensors"?

Not regularly since my FZR600, back in the early noughties. The only
bike on which I ever got knee, peg and (once) possibly the fairing
down without falling off. I suspect soft suspension had a lot to do
with that though.

These days, getting a toe or peg down would make me jump and sit the
bike upright. I keep the balls of my feet on the pegs to avoid having
a toe touch down.

--

-Pip

Re: Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?

<sfnd1i$19s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3271&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3271

From: a...@b.c (Gyp)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 06:02:41 +0100
 by: Gyp - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 05:02 UTC

On 19/08/2021 22:42, wessie wrote:

> Are Triumph referring to these new fangled IMUs that are part of the
> "cornering ABS" magic beans but also give top trump readouts on the phone
> app connected to the colour telly?
No, the Triumph is a lot more basic than that.

From the manual "When banking and the bank angle indicator, attached to
the rider's footrest, makes contact with the ground, the motorcycle is
nearing its bank angle limit. A further increase of the banking angle
is unsafe.
Banking to an unsafe angle may cause instability, loss of motorcycle
control and an accident." and there's a pretty picture of the thing
attached to the end of the footrest.

also "Use of a motorcycle with bank angle indicators worn beyond the
maximum limit will allow the motorcycle to be banked to an unsafe angle.
therefore, always replace the bank angle indicator pegs before they
are worn to their maximum limit. Banking to an unsafe angle may cause
instability, loss of motorcycle control and an accident.

Details of the bank angle wear limits can be found in the Maintenance
and Adjustment section"

....which says...

"Bank angle indicators are located on the rider’s footrests. Regularly
check the bank angle indicators for wear. Bank angle indicators must be
replaced when they have reached the maximum wear limit of 5 mm in
length."

So none of that 6-axis IMU malarkey here! Just a bit of metal stuck out
the end of the footrest
--
Gyp

Re: Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?

<sfnd2q$19s$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3272&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3272

From: a...@b.c (Gyp)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 06:03:22 +0100
 by: Gyp - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 05:03 UTC

On 19/08/2021 22:55, Pipl wrote:

> These days, getting a toe or peg down would make me jump and sit the
> bike upright. I keep the balls of my feet on the pegs to avoid having
> a toe touch down.

Very sensible!

--
Gyp

Re: Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?

<pan$20e12$9ecc6e9$72f87719$4f2b03db@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3273&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3273

From: wibbleyp...@gmail.com (Paul Carmichael)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 20 Aug 2021 09:54:35 GMT
 by: Paul Carmichael - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 09:54 UTC

El Thu, 19 Aug 2021 22:28:21 +0100, Gyp escribió:

> Apart from a period back in the 80'd when I was doing inexplicably huge
> lean angles on my XS400SE and folded my footrests up on every
> roundabout

I vaguely remember doing that on my fizzy back in the 70s. The footrests
had sticky out bolt type things that would regularly scrape the floor.
But I think they may have been spring-loaded.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

Re: Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?

<io9eq3FbskrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3274&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3274

From: siwil...@nodamnspam.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 11:34:43 +0100
 by: siwilson - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 10:34 UTC

On 20/08/2021 06:03, Gyp wrote:
> On 19/08/2021 22:55, Pipl wrote:
>
>> These days, getting a toe or peg down would make me jump and sit the
>> bike upright. I keep the balls of my feet on the pegs to avoid having
>> a toe touch down.
>
> Very sensible!

I used to occasionally touch down the hero pegs on my SO Bandit when I
was commuting, certainly not frequently. I'm definitely in the "it feels
like the bike's much further over than it actually is" school rather
than the opposite.

I started doing the ball of the foot thing after taking the Ron Haslam
course, I thought it would be uncomfortable on long trips but it isn't.

--
/Simon

Re: Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?

<vq1vhgtj6spvit73gjttueupn31lhltqe2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3276&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3276

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 11:44:20 +0100
 by: Champ - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 10:44 UTC

On Thu, 19 Aug 2021 22:28:21 +0100, Gyp <a@b.c> wrote:

>Ignoring the facts that I ride like a wuss and my weight means that I
>don't have to lean as far to change direction, am I unusual in not
>wearing down the "bank angle sensors"?

No.

I haven't touched a footpeg down in a couple of decades, and if it
happens I'll know I've made a big mistake.
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?

<sfo1ci$sh9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3277&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3277

From: dontwant...@nowhere.invalid (Krusty)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 10:49:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Krusty - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 10:49 UTC

Gyp wrote:

> My boots scrape a lot, but not the pegs.
>
> Ignoring the facts that I ride like a wuss and my weight means that I
> don't have to lean as far to change direction, am I unusual in not
> wearing down the "bank angle sensors"?

I take them off, don't like the thought of one catching a drain or
pothole.

--
Krusty

Re: Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?

<85a53ed4-92bd-4a1b-9b89-b0c410e8d288n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3284&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3284

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 05:54:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: elda...@gmail.com (ogden)
 by: ogden - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 12:54 UTC

Champ wrote:
> Gyp <a@b.c> wrote:
>
> >Ignoring the facts that I ride like a wuss and my weight means that I
> >don't have to lean as far to change direction, am I unusual in not
> >wearing down the "bank angle sensors"?
>
> I haven't touched a footpeg down in a couple of decades, and if it
> happens I'll know I've made a big mistake.

Quite. If the bike decks out, it's not a good thing. No ground clearance, most of the vertical suspension travel has turned horizontal, and the edge of the tyre probably isn't far behind.

I think the last time I decked one out (other than on a track) was in the Pyrenees in 2012, but that was only because the bike was squatting a bit between mid-corner bumps. Other than that, honestly can't remember when.

Re: Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?

<XnsAD8C984DBA2E1wtymmmsas@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3286&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3286

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 13:58:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 13:58 UTC

ogden <eldaifo@gmail.com> wrote in

> Champ wrote:
>> Gyp <a@b.c> wrote:
>>
>> >Ignoring the facts that I ride like a wuss and my weight means that
>> >I don't have to lean as far to change direction, am I unusual in not
>> >wearing down the "bank angle sensors"?
>>
>> I haven't touched a footpeg down in a couple of decades, and if it
>> happens I'll know I've made a big mistake.
>
> Quite. If the bike decks out, it's not a good thing. No ground
> clearance, most of the vertical suspension travel has turned
> horizontal, and the edge of the tyre probably isn't far behind.
>
> I think the last time I decked one out (other than on a track) was in
> the Pyrenees in 2012, but that was only because the bike was squatting
> a bit between mid-corner bumps. Other than that, honestly can't
> remember when.

it's only the R1200RS on which I have lowered the pegs that I scrape a
boot, and then only as you say, if the suspension is very compressed on an
uneven surface. The roundabout on the A40 at Monmouth will do it if you are
going "straight on" and do not have any traffic to contend with as there
seems to be a ridge between the 2 lanes.

Even with the factory lowered suspension, I do not recall scraping a boot
on the XR.

Re: Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?

<87d2051b-f61f-40e4-b6ea-0051d87c8ec3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3287&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3287

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 07:52:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: elda...@gmail.com (ogden)
 by: ogden - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 14:52 UTC

wessie wrote:
> Even with the factory lowered suspension, I do not recall scraping a boot
> on the XR.

It's a tall bike. I got my knee down on mine once, partly out of curiosity but mostly as a point of principle. Almost gave myself a vagina sticking my knee out far enough to touch down, and buggered if I'm doing that again.

Re: Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?

<pan$f2dd6$c7d55ab0$c8463e98$c5c17e02@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3288&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3288

From: wibbleyp...@gmail.com (Paul Carmichael)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 20 Aug 2021 15:59:14 GMT
 by: Paul Carmichael - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 15:59 UTC

El Fri, 20 Aug 2021 05:54:25 -0700, ogden escribió:

> Champ wrote:
>> Gyp <a@b.c> wrote:
>>
>> >Ignoring the facts that I ride like a wuss and my weight means that I
>> >don't have to lean as far to change direction, am I unusual in not
>> >wearing down the "bank angle sensors"?
>>
>> I haven't touched a footpeg down in a couple of decades, and if it
>> happens I'll know I've made a big mistake.
>
> Quite. If the bike decks out, it's not a good thing. No ground
> clearance, most of the vertical suspension travel has turned horizontal,
> and the edge of the tyre probably isn't far behind.

I got black-flagged on a Cali SB school day at Cadwell Park for grounding
out the exhaust on my VTR.

Dangerous, apparently.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

Re: Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?

<AeednV3RoeuHcoL8nZ2dnUU78WWdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3290&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3290

From: ala...@darkroom.+.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 13:06:18 -0500
 by: Alan - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 18:06 UTC

On Thu, 19 Aug 2021 22:28:21 +0100, Gyp wrote:

> Ignoring the facts that I ride like a wuss and my weight means that I
> don't have to lean as far to change direction, am I unusual in not
> wearing down the "bank angle sensors"?

On both my previous Tracer, and the new (to me) R1200RS, the centrestand
grounds before anything else. I do ride 2 up mostly which may account for
that.

Re: Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?

<sfq49a$e5q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3295&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3295

From: a...@b.c (Gyp)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 06:51:36 +0100
 by: Gyp - Sat, 21 Aug 2021 05:51 UTC

On 20/08/2021 19:06, Alan wrote:

> On both my previous Tracer, and the new (to me) R1200RS, the centrestand
> grounds before anything else. I do ride 2 up mostly which may account for
> that.

The centre stand on the R65 grounds out easily when 2 up too.

From all the responses, I'm delighted that my failure to grind the bank
angle indicators is the norm and, despite Triumph's casual description
of them, I needn't seek to ground them to get in with the cool kids.

--
Gyp

Re: Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?

<sfqfv5$gg7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3296&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3296

From: bdpor...@ytc1-removespam.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 10:10:59 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Sat, 21 Aug 2021 09:10 UTC

On 20/08/2021 16:59, Paul Carmichael wrote:
> El Fri, 20 Aug 2021 05:54:25 -0700, ogden escribió:
>
>> Champ wrote:

>>> I haven't touched a footpeg down in a couple of decades, and if it
>>> happens I'll know I've made a big mistake.
>>
>> Quite. If the bike decks out, it's not a good thing. No ground
>> clearance, most of the vertical suspension travel has turned horizontal,
>> and the edge of the tyre probably isn't far behind.
>
> I got black-flagged on a Cali SB school day at Cadwell Park for grounding
> out the exhaust on my VTR.
>
> Dangerous, apparently.

Him ride motorbike, him dangerous on roads.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"

Re: Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?

<ioej4jFbaicU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3309&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3309

From: new...@loampitsfarm.co.uk (AJH)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 10:19:15 +0100
 by: AJH - Sun, 22 Aug 2021 09:19 UTC

Is the discussion about the short attachments with ball ends on the
rider's foot pegs? There would never have been a chance of my touching
those done on the MT07 but I managed to break one when I dropped it.

When I was sixteen I did manage to wear the rubber off the footpegs of
my enfield crusader hybrid.

On 20/08/2021 11:34, siwilson wrote:
> I started doing the ball of the foot thing after taking the Ron Haslam
> course, I thought it would be uncomfortable on long trips but it isn't.

How does that work for gear changing and rear braking? I tried it
yesterday but found I had to move my foot forward for those things, with
rubber soles on boots and rubber inset for footrest it was a bit awkward.

Re: Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?

<ioerl8FctloU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3311&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3311

From: siwil...@nodamnspam.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 12:44:40 +0100
 by: siwilson - Sun, 22 Aug 2021 11:44 UTC

On 22/08/2021 10:19, AJH wrote:
> Is the discussion about the short attachments with ball ends on the
> rider's foot pegs?  There would never have been a chance of my touching
> those done on the MT07 but I managed to break one when I dropped it.
>
> When I was sixteen I did manage to wear the rubber off the footpegs of
> my enfield crusader hybrid.
>
> On 20/08/2021 11:34, siwilson wrote:
>> I started doing the ball of the foot thing after taking the Ron Haslam
>> course, I thought it would be uncomfortable on long trips but it isn't.
>
> How does that work for gear changing and rear braking? I tried it
> yesterday but found I had to move my foot forward for those things, with
> rubber soles on boots and rubber inset for footrest it was a bit awkward.

You have to lift your foot up/forward to do it, yes. I don't use the
rear brake as much as I should.

--
/Simon

Re: Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?

<7nf4ighlc0nlmgudhv3hcccl7p5vdhrbap@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3312&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3312

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 13:16:09 +0100
 by: Champ - Sun, 22 Aug 2021 12:16 UTC

On Sun, 22 Aug 2021 10:19:15 +0100, AJH <news@loampitsfarm.co.uk>
wrote:

>> I started doing the ball of the foot thing after taking the Ron Haslam
>> course, I thought it would be uncomfortable on long trips but it isn't.

>How does that work for gear changing and rear braking? I tried it
>yesterday but found I had to move my foot forward for those things

Yes, you move your feet.

Are you saying that you ride with your feet in a single position?
Even then, surely you have to move your gearchange foot depending on
where you're changing up or down?
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?

<rsf4ig5f6vss0cubdf9neqs4qhdm2t6h08@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3313&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3313

From: Ace...@ch.com (Ace)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 14:19:17 +0200
 by: Ace - Sun, 22 Aug 2021 12:19 UTC

On Sun, 22 Aug 2021 12:44:40 +0100, siwilson
<siwilson@nodamnspam.hotmail.com> wrote:

>On 22/08/2021 10:19, AJH wrote:
>> Is the discussion about the short attachments with ball ends on the
>> rider's foot pegs?  There would never have been a chance of my touching
>> those done on the MT07 but I managed to break one when I dropped it.
>>
>> When I was sixteen I did manage to wear the rubber off the footpegs of
>> my enfield crusader hybrid.
>>
>> On 20/08/2021 11:34, siwilson wrote:
>>> I started doing the ball of the foot thing after taking the Ron Haslam
>>> course, I thought it would be uncomfortable on long trips but it isn't.
>>
>> How does that work for gear changing and rear braking? I tried it
>> yesterday but found I had to move my foot forward for those things, with
>> rubber soles on boots and rubber inset for footrest it was a bit awkward.
>>

>You have to lift your foot up/forward to do it, yes. I don't use the
>rear brake as much as I should.

ISTR that this was taught as part of the IAM/Police system, a bit like
covering the brake/clutch in a car, using a deliberate action in
advance of a manoeuvre to focus the mind on what's coming next - i.e.
you're making a constant decision that you may need the brakes or
gears just ahead, so prepare for it. Conversely you'd only put the
foot back, or leave it, in the relaxed position when you're sure
you're not going to need it.

Something like that, anyway.
--
Ace
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com/

Re: Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?

<gai4igdjv3fm0k8dkd3f2pvt81k7atqqo0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3314&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3314

From: Ace...@ch.com (Ace)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 14:56:07 +0200
 by: Ace - Sun, 22 Aug 2021 12:56 UTC

On Sun, 22 Aug 2021 14:19:17 +0200, Ace <Ace@ch.com> wrote:

>you're making a constant decision

conscious
--
Ace
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com/

Re: Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?

<iof2cqFe72qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3315&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3315

From: new...@loampitsfarm.co.uk (AJH)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 14:39:38 +0100
 by: AJH - Sun, 22 Aug 2021 13:39 UTC

On 22/08/2021 13:16, Champ wrote:
> Are you saying that you ride with your feet in a single position?
> Even then, surely you have to move your gearchange foot depending on
> where you're changing up or down?
> --

Yes I generally have the footpeg up against the front of my heel and the
footbrake adjusted so I just rotate my foot to engage it, I move my left
foot sideways to put my toe either above or below the gear pedal. Heel
remains against footpeg throughout.

I'm a very late returner to riding, so happy to learn better if I can.

Simon I think my foot pedal operates one piston of the front brake as
well as the back brake on the MT07 and CBR250R so it is less risky to
over apply it than on bikes of old. Also both bikes have ABS, though I'm
not sure how that functions other than limiting pressure on that rear
circuit when it senses the rear wheel locking up..

Andrew

Re: Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?

<XnsAD8EA05A92419wtymmmsas@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3318&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3318

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 14:45:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Sun, 22 Aug 2021 14:45 UTC

siwilson <siwilson@nodamnspam.hotmail.com> wrote in

> On 22/08/2021 10:19, AJH wrote:
>> Is the discussion about the short attachments with ball ends on the
>> rider's foot pegs?  There would never have been a chance of my
>> touching those done on the MT07 but I managed to break one when I
>> dropped it.
>>
>> When I was sixteen I did manage to wear the rubber off the footpegs
>> of my enfield crusader hybrid.
>>
>> On 20/08/2021 11:34, siwilson wrote:
>>> I started doing the ball of the foot thing after taking the Ron
>>> Haslam course, I thought it would be uncomfortable on long trips but
>>> it isn't.
>>
>> How does that work for gear changing and rear braking? I tried it
>> yesterday but found I had to move my foot forward for those things,
>> with rubber soles on boots and rubber inset for footrest it was a bit
>> awkward.
>>

> You have to lift your foot up/forward to do it, yes. I don't use the
> rear brake as much as I should.

both of my bikes have linked brakes so my right foot does not get much use

Re: Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?

<0r45ig1mjbvat3mtogkndfo5e1uhe7v89p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3319&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3319

From: plusc...@live.co.uk (Pipl)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 19:14:51 +0100
 by: Pipl - Sun, 22 Aug 2021 18:14 UTC

On Sun, 22 Aug 2021 14:39:38 +0100, AJH <news@loampitsfarm.co.uk>
wrote:

>Simon I think my foot pedal operates one piston of the front brake as
>well as the back brake on the MT07 and CBR250R so it is less risky to
>over apply it than on bikes of old.

Guzzi got there years ago, then gave up on it on all except the
California and possibly other Amreican cruiser-styled bikes. But these
have a relatively rearward weight bias.

Also both bikes have ABS, though I'm

--

-Pip

Re: Who actually scrapes their "hero blobs" on a regular basis?

<sfubj6$13b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3320&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3320

From: xsu...@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 13:20:53 -0700
 by: Turby - Sun, 22 Aug 2021 20:20 UTC

On 8/22/2021 11:14 AM, Pipl wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Aug 2021 14:39:38 +0100, AJH <news@loampitsfarm.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> Simon I think my foot pedal operates one piston of the front brake as
>> well as the back brake on the MT07 and CBR250R so it is less risky to
>> over apply it than on bikes of old.
>
> Guzzi got there years ago, then gave up on it on all except the
> California and possibly other Amreican cruiser-styled bikes. But these
> have a relatively rearward weight bias.
>
> Also both bikes have ABS, though I'm

.... dum de dum de dum...

Are you OK?