Someone is speaking well of you.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Skipton man jailed for terrorising pedestrians and damaging car

SubjectAuthor
* Skipton man jailed for terrorising pedestrians and damaging carSimon Mason
+* Re: Skipton man jailed for terrorising pedestrians and damaging carJNugent
|`* Re: Skipton man jailed for terrorising pedestrians and damaging carSpike
| `* Re: Skipton man jailed for terrorising pedestrians and damaging carJNugent
|  `- Re: Skipton man jailed for terrorising pedestrians and damaging carSpike
+* Re: Skipton man jailed for terrorising pedestrians and damaging carSimon Mason
|`* Re: Skipton man jailed for terrorising pedestrians and damaging carSimon Mason
| +- Re: Skipton man jailed for terrorising pedestrians and damaging carSpike
| `- Re: Skipton man jailed for terrorising pedestrians and damaging carSimon Mason
+* Re: Skipton man jailed for terrorising pedestrians and damaging carSimon Mason
|`- Re: Skipton man jailed for terrorising pedestrians and damaging carJNugent
`- Re: Skipton man jailed for terrorising pedestrians and damaging carSimon Mason

1
Skipton man jailed for terrorising pedestrians and damaging car

<b698db17-1331-4fe5-85ae-b60f647806f9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32706&group=uk.rec.cycling#32706

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 07:58:11 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Skipton man jailed for terrorising pedestrians and damaging car
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 15:58 UTC

A DRIVER in a rented Audi who terrorised a group of pedestrians and caused nearly £5,000 of damage to their car after they asked him to slow down has been jailed and banned from driving.

Jonaid Ul Hassan, 25, pleaded guilty at Bradford Crown Court to dangerous driving, criminal damage, possessing an offensive weapon and affray.

The court was told that on August 29 last year, Ul Hassan was driving a rented white Audi through Skipton when he got into an altercation with a group of five pedestrians, including a child, when they asked him to slow down.

Ul Hassan, of Brougham Street, Skipton, became extremely aggressive towards them to the point that two of the group and their five-year-old child sought refuge in a stranger’s car when the motorist stopped to ask them if they were ok.

Ul Hassan went back to his car but returned to the remaining couple with a friend who made threatening comments to the couple along the lines of “keeping walking so we know where you live”. Feeling threatened and intimidated by the situation, the man and woman decided to hide. They split up with the man getting a lift with a member of the public and the woman hiding near the canal.

The couple’s friends who had got to safety, then arrived to pick up the woman and as they drove away, Ul Hassan began chasing them in his Audi, and hitting their vehicle with a weapon as he travelled.

Dashcam footage from the victim’s vehicle then shows Ul Hassan getting out of his rented car in Tesco car park and attacking the victim’s car causing £4,956 worth of damage.

While being chased through Skipton in constant fear of attack, the victims called the police and were told to drive to the safety of Skipton Police Station by the call handler.

Ul Hassan was later arrested by West Yorkshire Police after the Audi was stopped between Skipton and Keighley.

Inspector Julie Earnshaw, of Craven Neighbourhood Policing Team, said: “Ul Hassan not only put his victims in absolute fear for their life, but showed total disregard for the safety of all members of the public as he chased the victims through Skipton. His actions could have been catastrophic. I’m glad that justice has caught up with him, he now has ample time in prison to reflect on what he did that night.”

Ul Hassan was sentenced to 20 months jail for affray; 10 months jail for dangerous driving; two months jail for criminal damage and nine months jail for possessing an offensive weapon (baseball bat). The sentences are to run concurrently. He also was handed a driving ban for 30 months and must take an extended driving test as well as pay a surcharge of £187.

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/23915320.skipton-man-jailed-terrorising-pedestrians-damaging-car/

Re: Skipton man jailed for terrorising pedestrians and damaging car

<kr72q9Fhf32U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32709&group=uk.rec.cycling#32709

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 16:07:37 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 16:07 UTC

On 10/11/2023 03:58 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> A DRIVER in a rented Audi who terrorised a group of pedestrians and caused nearly £5,000 of damage to their car after they asked him to slow down has been jailed and banned from driving.
>
> Jonaid Ul Hassan, 25, pleaded guilty at Bradford Crown Court to dangerous driving, criminal damage, possessing an offensive weapon and affray.
>
> The court was told that on August 29 last year, Ul Hassan was driving a rented white Audi through Skipton when he got into an altercation with a group of five pedestrians, including a child, when they asked him to slow down.
>
> Ul Hassan, of Brougham Street, Skipton, became extremely aggressive towards them to the point that two of the group and their five-year-old child sought refuge in a stranger’s car when the motorist stopped to ask them if they were ok.
>
> Ul Hassan went back to his car but returned to the remaining couple with a friend who made threatening comments to the couple along the lines of “keeping walking so we know where you live”. Feeling threatened and intimidated by the situation, the man and woman decided to hide. They split up with the man getting a lift with a member of the public and the woman hiding near the canal.
>
> The couple’s friends who had got to safety, then arrived to pick up the woman and as they drove away, Ul Hassan began chasing them in his Audi, and hitting their vehicle with a weapon as he travelled.
>
> Dashcam footage from the victim’s vehicle then shows Ul Hassan getting out of his rented car in Tesco car park and attacking the victim’s car causing £4,956 worth of damage.
>
> While being chased through Skipton in constant fear of attack, the victims called the police and were told to drive to the safety of Skipton Police Station by the call handler.
>
> Ul Hassan was later arrested by West Yorkshire Police after the Audi was stopped between Skipton and Keighley.
>
> Inspector Julie Earnshaw, of Craven Neighbourhood Policing Team, said: “Ul Hassan not only put his victims in absolute fear for their life, but showed total disregard for the safety of all members of the public as he chased the victims through Skipton. His actions could have been catastrophic. I’m glad that justice has caught up with him, he now has ample time in prison to reflect on what he did that night.”
>
> Ul Hassan was sentenced to 20 months jail for affray; 10 months jail for dangerous driving; two months jail for criminal damage and nine months jail for possessing an offensive weapon (baseball bat). The sentences are to run concurrently. He also was handed a driving ban for 30 months and must take an extended driving test as well as pay a surcharge of £187.
>
> https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/23915320.skipton-man-jailed-terrorising-pedestrians-damaging-car/

All well and good. None of us have the slightest sympathy for people who
behave like that.

But which of the people in the report was riding the chav-bike?

They haven't made that very clear.

Re: Skipton man jailed for terrorising pedestrians and damaging car

<10d17a57-3357-4015-bc45-86052f5529c5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32713&group=uk.rec.cycling#32713

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 09:06:48 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 17:06 UTC

QUOTE: The court was told that on August 29 last year, Ul Hassan was driving a rented white Audi through Skipton when he got into an altercation with a group of five pedestrians, including a child, when they asked him to slow down.ENDS

How DARE a mere child plead for a speeding driver to slow down?

Re: Skipton man jailed for terrorising pedestrians and damaging car

<kr79a3Fik91U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32716&group=uk.rec.cycling#32716

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 10 Nov 2023 17:58:27 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 17:58 UTC

JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
> On 10/11/2023 03:58 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

>> A DRIVER in a rented Audi…
>> https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/23915320.skipton-man-jailed-terrorising-pedestrians-damaging-car/

> All well and good. None of us have the slightest sympathy for people who
> behave like that.

> But which of the people in the report was riding the chav-bike?

> They haven't made that very clear.

The key word here isn’t ’bicycle’, it’s ‘Audi’…

--
Spike

Re: Skipton man jailed for terrorising pedestrians and damaging car

<08548544-9160-4cec-b2a9-d8dbe4f7b01dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32720&group=uk.rec.cycling#32720

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 10:07:17 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 18:07 UTC

A driver who terrorised a family in North Yorkshire after they asked him to slow down has been jailed.

Officers said Jonaid Ul Hassan became "extremely aggressive" to a group of five pedestrians, including a five-year-old, in Skipton on 29 August 2022.

As the victims tried to flee, the 25-year-old pursued them through the town in his hired Audi, police said.

Ul Hassan, of Brougham Street, Skipton, was jailed for 20 months at Bradford Crown Court on Wednesday.

He had earlier pleaded guilty to dangerous driving, criminal damage, possessing an offensive weapon - a baseball bat - and affray.

According to North Yorkshire Police, three members of the pedestrian group - a couple and their young child - got into a passing car after a motorist, seeing the commotion, stopped to ask if they were OK.

Ul Hassan went back to his car but returned to threaten the other two members of the group, police said.

Feeling intimidated, the man and woman decided to hide. The man secured a lift with a member of the public while the woman hid near a canal, officers said.

The family, who by now had reached safety, then arrived to pick up the couple in their car but Ul Hassan found them and again began to pursue them, striking their vehicle with a weapon.

The group, pursued by Ul Hassan, were told to drive to Skipton Police Station

Officers said they received calls from the public about the Audi being driven recklessly and deliberately hitting another vehicle.

Dashcam footage from the victim's vehicle showed Ul Hassan getting out of his car in a Tesco car park and attacking his victims' car.

The court was told damage estimated at £4,956 was caused.
'Fear for their life'

While being pursued by Ul Hassan, the victims were told by officers to head to Skipton Police Station. Ul Hassan was arrested by West Yorkshire Police after the Audi was stopped between Skipton and Keighley.

After the case, Insp Julie Earnshaw said: "Ul Hassan not only put his victims in absolute fear for their life, but showed total disregard for the safety of all members of the public as he chased the victims through Skipton.

"His actions could have been catastrophic."

In addition to the jail term, Ul Hassan was banned from driving for two-and-a-half years after which he must take an extended driving test. He was also ordered to pay a surcharge of £187.

Re: Skipton man jailed for terrorising pedestrians and damaging car

<kr7o6cFl661U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32727&group=uk.rec.cycling#32727

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 10 Nov 2023 22:12:28 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 22:12 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> A driver who terrorised a family in North Yorkshire after they asked him
> to slow down has been jailed.

There’s a similar incident here:

<https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/23915320.skipton-man-jailed-terrorising-pedestrians-damaging-car/>

--
Spike

Re: Skipton man jailed for terrorising pedestrians and damaging car

<2c7921ad-37af-45dd-b507-afeb134467a6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32730&group=uk.rec.cycling#32730

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 23:19:31 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 07:19 UTC

QUOTE: > He had earlier pleaded guilty to dangerous driving, criminal damage, possessing an offensive weapon - a baseball bat - and affray. ENDS

Legend has it that if you also have a ball and a catcher's mitt in your possession you can get away with it.

Re: Skipton man jailed for terrorising pedestrians and damaging car

<kr9ahlFuduaU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32743&group=uk.rec.cycling#32743

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 12:31:49 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 12:31 UTC

On 10/11/2023 05:58 pm, Spike wrote:

> JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
>> On 10/11/2023 03:58 pm, Simon Mason wrote:
>
>>> A DRIVER in a rented Audi…
>>> https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/23915320.skipton-man-jailed-terrorising-pedestrians-damaging-car/
>
>> All well and good. None of us have the slightest sympathy for people who
>> behave like that.
>
>> But which of the people in the report was riding the chav-bike?
>
>> They haven't made that very clear.
>
> The key word here isn’t ’bicycle’, it’s ‘Audi’…

Oh, right...

And apparently (I didn't know this until just now), Audi make chav-bikes.

True dat.

Re: Skipton man jailed for terrorising pedestrians and damaging car

<kr9b0bF1ugU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32745&group=uk.rec.cycling#32745

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 11 Nov 2023 12:39:39 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 12:39 UTC

JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
> On 10/11/2023 05:58 pm, Spike wrote:
>
>> JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:

>>> All well and good. None of us have the slightest sympathy for people who
>>> behave like that.
>>
>>> But which of the people in the report was riding the chav-bike?
>>
>>> They haven't made that very clear.
>>
>> The key word here isn’t ’bicycle’, it’s ‘Audi’…
>
> Oh, right...
>
> And apparently (I didn't know this until just now), Audi make chav-bikes.
>
> True dat.

Well, well. But I expect it won’t change the anti-Audi (car) narrative of
the dedicated cyclist…

--
Spike

Re: Skipton man jailed for terrorising pedestrians and damaging car

<b0825f06-cc86-491f-8e54-a7d706f9feedn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32753&group=uk.rec.cycling#32753

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 05:46:24 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 13:46 UTC

QUOTE: Dashcam footage from the victim’s vehicle then shows Ul Hassan getting out of his rented car in Tesco car park and attacking the victim’s car causing £4,956 worth of damage.ENDS

The header says £5000 - which is it?

Re: Skipton man jailed for terrorising pedestrians and damaging car

<kr9f23FnbqU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32755&group=uk.rec.cycling#32755

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 13:48:51 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 13:48 UTC

On 11/11/2023 01:46 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> QUOTE: Dashcam footage from the victim’s vehicle then shows Ul Hassan getting out of his rented car in Tesco car park and attacking the victim’s car causing £4,956 worth of damage.ENDS
>
> The header says £5000 - which is it?

Perhaps the garage rounded it up (whether on the actual invoice or just
in conversation with a reporter)?

That £44 is just too big to be acceptable as a rounding, is it?

Re: Skipton man jailed for terrorising pedestrians and damaging car

<a5a02e09-0241-459b-8756-4e2f799e03c3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32759&group=uk.rec.cycling#32759

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 05:53:53 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 13:53 UTC

QUOTE: A DRIVER in a rented Audi ENDS

A driver in a rented Wankpanzer?
The shame of it!