Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 08:32:13 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Lorry driver jailed over death of Shropshire's Callum Powell
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 16:32 UTC

A lorry driver who killed a Ruyton-XI-Towns man with a dangerous attempt to overtake other lorries on the A5 in January this year has been jailed at Shrewsbury Crown Court.

Patrick Casey, 22, and from Ireland, was jailed for four years and two months after making what the victim's mother called a "bad decision with a bad outcome".

That sentence was reduced from eight years for mitigation and an early guilty plea at Shrewsbury Crown Court on Tuesday, November 7.

Casey admitted causing the death of Mr Powell, 24, by dangerous driving on January 23 close to Felton Butler roundabout on the A5, where the victim died at the scene shortly after 3am.

CCTV footage showed him attempting to overtake on a single carriageway stretch, ending with a head-on collision which killed Mr Powell immediately.

Judge Anthony Lowe, sentencing Casey, said that he agreed with Sandra Powell’s view that her son had died because of a ‘poor’ decision by the defendant to try the ‘highly dangerous’ overtaking manoeuvre past two other heavy goods vehicles.

He added: “This is a tragedy for both families but I’m afraid that it doesn’t matter which way you look, the tragedy is substantially greater for Callum’s family.

“For whatever reason, and only you know, you seemed to decide you were in a hurry,

“I don’t know why you didn’t make any attempt to overtake on the dual carriageway but when you got to the single lane, you suddenly decide to effectively overtake both lorries that were ahead of you.

“The driver of the first HGV described that as ‘poor’ but the overtaking manoeuvre that led to the crash was, in my judgement, highly dangerous.

“The distance you had to stop was insufficient and the speed you needed to get away didn’t exist.

“By your own admission you’d never driven along that part of the A5 in the dark.”

The judge added: “I am satisfied that you genuinely believed that what lay before was a straight road and that is important because, as is usual in these cases, you didn’t know what you were dealing with.

“But you carried out a dangerous manoeuvre without checking whether it was safe to do so.

“I have to strike a balance between the fact that it was highly dangerous but that you didn’t deliberately ignore the risk and made a terrible mistake.”

Judge Lowe added that he considered the attempt at the manoeuvre in a HGV as a significant factor.

The CCTV footage showed Casey having to slow down as there was not enough room for both lorries, before he tried the manoeuvre again.

Further up the A5 towards Shrewsbury, Casey tried to overtake again as the road went up an incline and turned to the righ

https://www.bordercountiesadvertizer.co.uk/news/23907516.lorry-driver-jailed-death-shropshires-callum-powell/

Re: Lorry driver jailed over death of Shropshire's Callum Powell

<krhq5dFh80lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32915&group=uk.rec.cycling#32915

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 17:47:21 +0000
 by: JNugent - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 17:47 UTC

On 14/11/2023 04:32 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> A lorry driver who killed a Ruyton-XI-Towns man with a dangerous attempt to overtake other lorries on the A5 in January this year has been jailed at Shrewsbury Crown Court.
> Patrick Casey, 22, and from Ireland, was jailed for four years and two months after making what the victim's mother called a "bad decision with a bad outcome".
> That sentence was reduced from eight years for mitigation and an early guilty plea at Shrewsbury Crown Court on Tuesday, November 7.
> Casey admitted causing the death of Mr Powell, 24, by dangerous driving on January 23 close to Felton Butler roundabout on the A5, where the victim died at the scene shortly after 3am.
> CCTV footage showed him attempting to overtake on a single carriageway stretch, ending with a head-on collision which killed Mr Powell immediately.
> Judge Anthony Lowe, sentencing Casey, said that he agreed with Sandra Powell’s view that her son had died because of a ‘poor’ decision by the defendant to try the ‘highly dangerous’ overtaking manoeuvre past two other heavy goods vehicles.
> He added: “This is a tragedy for both families but I’m afraid that it doesn’t matter which way you look, the tragedy is substantially greater for Callum’s family.
> “For whatever reason, and only you know, you seemed to decide you were in a hurry,
> “I don’t know why you didn’t make any attempt to overtake on the dual carriageway but when you got to the single lane, you suddenly decide to effectively overtake both lorries that were ahead of you.
> “The driver of the first HGV described that as ‘poor’ but the overtaking manoeuvre that led to the crash was, in my judgement, highly dangerous.
> “The distance you had to stop was insufficient and the speed you needed to get away didn’t exist.
> “By your own admission you’d never driven along that part of the A5 in the dark.”
> The judge added: “I am satisfied that you genuinely believed that what lay before was a straight road and that is important because, as is usual in these cases, you didn’t know what you were dealing with.
> “But you carried out a dangerous manoeuvre without checking whether it was safe to do so.
> “I have to strike a balance between the fact that it was highly dangerous but that you didn’t deliberately ignore the risk and made a terrible mistake.”
> Judge Lowe added that he considered the attempt at the manoeuvre in a HGV as a significant factor.
> The CCTV footage showed Casey having to slow down as there was not enough room for both lorries, before he tried the manoeuvre again.
> Further up the A5 towards Shrewsbury, Casey tried to overtake again as the road went up an incline and turned to the righ

> https://www.bordercountiesadvertizer.co.uk/news/23907516.lorry-driver-jailed-death-shropshires-callum-powell/

Who was on the chav-bike?

But anyway, one can learn something every day (as long as one is not a
thick chav on a bike, of course).

"Ruyton-XI-Towns" might sound like an amateur football team but it is
apparently a place-name (of sorts) in that it is the name adopted by a
parish/town council within the Shrewsbury district.

Re: Lorry driver jailed over death of Shropshire's Callum Powell

<1c142ac7-4ab0-47db-9230-2d92d635ef9dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32920&group=uk.rec.cycling#32920

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 10:14:02 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 18:14 UTC

QUOTE: Patrick Casey, 22, and from Ireland, was jailed for four years and two months after making what the victim's mother called a "bad decision with a bad outcome".ENDS

UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE YEAR.
Poor lady.