Tax reform means "Don't tax you, don't tax me, tax that fellow behind the tree." -- Russell Long

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Fair Fuel UK boss blames "militant cyclist" for marking his house as petrol station on Google Maps

SubjectAuthor
* Fair Fuel UK boss blames “militant cyclist” forswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Fair Fuel UK boss blames “militant fairy-cyJNugent
+- Re: Fair Fuel UK boss blames “militant cyclist”swldx...@gmail.com
`* Re: Fair Fuel UK boss blames “militant cyclist”swldx...@gmail.com
 +* Re: Fair Fuel UK boss blames "militant cyclist" for marking his house as petrol Mr Pounder Esquire
 |+- Re: Fair Fuel UK boss blames "militant cyclist" for marking his houseswldx...@gmail.com
 |`- Re: Fair Fuel UK boss blames "militant cyclist" for marking his housePeter Keller
 `* Re: Fair Fuel UK boss blames “militant fairy-cyJNugent
  `- Re: Fair Fuel UK boss blames “militant fairy-cycolwyn

1
Fair Fuel UK boss blames “militant cyclist” for marking his house as petrol station on Google Maps

<0ea8c680-67c5-43d3-ae1e-3df67cee18a8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3277&group=uk.rec.cycling#3277

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 06:19:27 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Fair_Fuel_UK_boss_blames_“militant_cyclist”_for_
marking_his_house_as_petrol_station_on_Google_Maps
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 13:19 UTC

No evidence that any "cyclist" was involved, note.

The ​head of Fair Fuel UK, which lobbies the government over fuel duty, says he has been inundated with calls from panic-buying drivers after an unknown person listed his home as a petrol station on Google Maps – and blames a “militant cyclist” for it.

Howard Cox revealed the prank on his Twitter account yesterday, a day when long queues were forming at petrol stations across the country as motorists rushed to the pumps to fill up due to reports of shortages due to a lack of tanker drivers.

The listing appears to have been made at least several weeks earlier, however, given that the solitary review it attracted was published “1 month ago,” according to Google Maps.

Cox is adamant that what he terms a “militant cyclist” was behind his contact details being registered with Google Maps as those of a petrol station, based on reaction to his tweet about it.

“I got 70 phone calls with people saying: ‘Have you got any petrol for sale?’” said Cox, quoted in the Guardian.

“I was panicking because my phone didn’t stop ringing and it’s my private home address. They typed in ‘petrol stations near me’ and it came up with a little flag over my house saying ‘petrol station’.”

As for the culprit, he said: “It has to be an environmentalist. The people who are laughing their socks off are mainly cyclists, I’ve blocked a lot of them. If I find him – I’m assuming it’s a him – I’m not quite sure I can control my actions.. I’m convinced it’s a militant cyclist.”

It's a term that Cox regularly uses on social media to describe critics of Fair Fuel UK, which is funded by the Road Haulage Association and Logistics UK, and which boasts that it has saved drivers £100 billion in planned fuel duty rises.

He also used it when he appeared on the TV channel GB News last month and accused the broadcaster Jeremy Vine as well as “a very highly vocal minority of militant cyclists” of promoting what he termed “a ‘them and us’ struggle” between cyclists and motorists.

But while Cox insists that he is willing to work alongside cycling organisations to draw up a long-term plan for the future of the nation’s roads, a report last month paid for and produced by Fair Fuel UK described motorists as “hard-pressed” and “perennially demonised,” and the victims of “political bias” in favour of cyclists.

The report, entitled Party Parliamentary Group for Fair Fuel for UK Motorists and UK Hauliers entitled What does the 2030 fossil fuelled new vehicle sales ban really mean to the economy, environment, and UK’s 37m drivers? called on the government, among other things, to “Instruct local authorities to build new cycle schemes AWAY from existing roads” – without suggesting where and how that might be achieved.

https://road.cc/content/news/fuel-lobbyists-house-listed-petrol-station-286677

Re: Fair Fuel UK boss blames “militant fairy-cyclist” for marking his house as petrol station on Google Maps

<ire2pdFoijmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3279&group=uk.rec.cycling#3279

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_Fair_Fuel_UK_boss_blames_“militant_fairy-cy
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 15:29:02 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 14:29 UTC

> No evidence that any "cyclist" was involved, note.

Indeed. the correct term is "fairy-cyclist".

> [...]
>
> Howard Cox revealed the prank on his Twitter account yesterday, a day when long queues were forming at petrol stations across the country as motorists rushed to the pumps to fill up due to reports of shortages due to a lack of tanker drivers.
>
> The listing appears to have been made at least several weeks earlier, however, given that the solitary review it attracted was published “1 month ago,” according to Google Maps.
>
> Cox is adamant that what he terms a “militant fairy-cyclist” was behind his contact details being registered with Google Maps as those of a petrol station, based on reaction to his tweet about it.
>
> “I got 70 phone calls with people saying: ‘Have you got any petrol for sale?’” said Cox, quoted in the Guardian.
>
> “I was panicking because my phone didn’t stop ringing and it’s my private home address. They typed in ‘petrol stations near me’ and it came up with a little flag over my house saying ‘petrol station’.”
>
> As for the culprit, he said: “It has to be an environmentalist. The people who are laughing their socks off are mainly fairy-cyclists, I’ve blocked a lot of them. If I find him – I’m assuming it’s a him – I’m not quite sure I can control my actions. I’m convinced it’s a militant fairy-cyclist.”
>
> It's a term that Cox regularly uses on social media to describe critics of Fair Fuel UK, which is funded by the Road Haulage Association and Logistics UK, and which boasts that it has saved drivers £100 billion in planned fuel duty rises.
>
> He also used it when he appeared on the TV channel GB News last month and accused the broadcaster Jeremy Vine as well as “a very highly vocal minority of militant fairy-cyclists” of promoting what he termed “a ‘them and us’ struggle” between fairy-cyclists and motorists.
>
> But while Cox insists that he is willing to work alongside fairy-cycling organisations to draw up a long-term plan for the future of the nation’s roads, a report last month paid for and produced by Fair Fuel UK described motorists as “hard-pressed” and “perennially demonised,” and the victims of “political bias” in favour of fairy-cyclists.
>
> The report, entitled Party Parliamentary Group for Fair Fuel for UK Motorists and UK Hauliers entitled What does the 2030 fossil fuelled new vehicle sales ban really mean to the economy, environment, and UK’s 37m drivers? called on the government, among other things, to “Instruct local authorities to build new fairy-cycle schemes AWAY from existing roads” – without suggesting where and how that might be achieved.
>
> https://road.cc/content/news/fuel-lobbyists-house-listed-petrol-station-286677

Re: Fair Fuel UK boss blames “militant cyclist” for marking his house as petrol station on Google Maps

<f2add943-c011-4ff9-a58a-1f0c15f1eb3dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3285&group=uk.rec.cycling#3285

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 09:37:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_Fair_Fuel_UK_boss_blames_“militant_cyclist”_
for_marking_his_house_as_petrol_station_on_Google_Maps
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 16:37 UTC

On Monday, September 27, 2021 at 2:19:28 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> No evidence that any "cyclist" was involved, note.
AlsoSomniloquism | 2168 posts | 1 hour ago
1 like

How did they get his home phone number?

Edit: Just seen that his home address is posted on the FF website as contact details. Who does that in this day and age?

Another Edit: As somone pointed out, this is at least one month old, nothing to do about the present shortages apart from they have prompted people to search and look for fuel before setting out.

Gus T | 490 posts | 1 hour ago
3 likes

Troll gets trolled & cries about it.

anke | 5 posts | 1 hour ago
0 likes

What a beautiful prank! 3

....but then, I'm probably a militant cyclist... Which is certainly a lot worse than helping to keep Britain dependent on middle-eastern oil exporting countries. So, no OPECxit with Mr Cox anytime soon...

> https://road.cc/content/news/fuel-lobbyists-house-listed-petrol-station-286677

Re: Fair Fuel UK boss blames “militant cyclist” for marking his house as petrol station on Google Maps

<6f4fe289-7009-42b7-b04d-6a8341664ff8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3288&group=uk.rec.cycling#3288

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 11:21:14 -0700 (PDT)
for_marking_his_house_as_petrol_station_on_Google_Maps
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 18:21 UTC

On Monday, September 27, 2021 at 2:19:28 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> No evidence that any "cyclist" was involved, note.

Love how he describes himself (taken from the Grauniad article about this delicious prank) as "pro-cycling" and claims to "cycle" (by which I assume he means he has a green bin that his plastic waste goes in) yet his blogs and press pieces always moan about "lycra clad" militant elitist lefty cyclists not paying their way. Has he published his annual "how much do you hate cyclists" err I mean, "entirely balanced sample of road users opinions" (no confirmation bias here, move along) survey this year yet?

Re: Fair Fuel UK boss blames "militant cyclist" for marking his house as petrol station on Google Maps

<sit4e0$2e8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3289&group=uk.rec.cycling#3289

From: MrPoun...@RationalThought.com (Mr Pounder Esquire)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Fair Fuel UK boss blames "militant cyclist" for marking his house as petrol station on Google Maps
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 20:01:10 +0100
 by: Mr Pounder Esquire - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 19:01 UTC

swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, September 27, 2021 at 2:19:28 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com
> wrote:
>> No evidence that any "cyclist" was involved, note.
>
> Love how he describes himself (taken from the Grauniad article about
> this delicious prank) as "pro-cycling" and claims to "cycle" (by
> which I assume he means he has a green bin that his plastic waste
> goes in) yet his blogs and press pieces always moan about "lycra
> clad" militant elitist lefty cyclists not paying their way. Has he
> published his annual "how much do you hate cyclists" err I mean,
> "entirely balanced sample of road users opinions" (no confirmation
> bias here, move along) survey this year yet?

Pissed again, brain playing up again, the demons have been talking to you,
on painkillers? Which one?
The demons come in the darkness. Don't they Mason?

Re: Fair Fuel UK boss blames “militant fairy-cyclist” for marking his house as petrol station on Google Maps

<irejaeFrleuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3290&group=uk.rec.cycling#3290

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 20:11:10 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 19:11 UTC

> On Monday, September 27, 2021 at 2:19:28 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> No evidence that any "fairy-cyclist" was involved, note.
>
> Love how he describes himself (taken from the Grauniad article about this delicious prank) as "pro-fairy-cycling" and claims to "fairy-cycle" (by which I assume he means he has a green bin that his plastic waste goes in) yet his blogs and press pieces always moan about "lycra clad" militant elitist lefty fairy-cyclists not paying their way. Has he published his annual "how much do you hate fairy-cyclists" err I mean, "entirely balanced sample of road users opinions" (no confirmation bias here, move along) survey this year yet?

What you describe as a "delicious prank" might well be seen by more
responsible people as harassment.

Re: Fair Fuel UK boss blames "militant cyclist" for marking his house as petrol station on Google Maps

<d392f38d-1aac-4196-9505-a37605780552n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3291&group=uk.rec.cycling#3291

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 12:34:02 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Fair Fuel UK boss blames "militant cyclist" for marking his house
as petrol station on Google Maps
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 19:34 UTC

On Monday, September 27, 2021 at 8:01:23 PM UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
> swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Monday, September 27, 2021 at 2:19:28 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com
> > wrote:
> >> No evidence that any "cyclist" was involved, note.
> >
> > Love how he describes himself (taken from the Grauniad article about
> > this delicious prank) as "pro-cycling" and claims to "cycle" (by
> > which I assume he means he has a green bin that his plastic waste
> > goes in) yet his blogs and press pieces always moan about "lycra
> > clad" militant elitist lefty cyclists not paying their way. Has he
> > published his annual "how much do you hate cyclists" err I mean,
> > "entirely balanced sample of road users opinions" (no confirmation
> > bias here, move along) survey this year yet?
> Pissed again, brain playing up again, the demons have been talking to you,
> on painkillers? Which one?

I am not drinking alcohol today.

> The demons come in the darkness. Don't they Mason?

Not for me - I listen to old pirate radio shows on my 160GB i-pod in bed.

Re: Fair Fuel UK boss blames “militant fairy-cyclist” for marking his house as petrol station on Google Maps

<siufmt$ac3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3292&group=uk.rec.cycling#3292

From: guddi...@btinternet.invalid (colwyn)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 08:19:52 +0100
 by: colwyn - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 07:19 UTC

On 27/09/2021 20:11, JNugent wrote:
> On 27/09/2021 07:21 pm, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> On Monday, September 27, 2021 at 2:19:28 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com
>> wrote:
>
>>> No evidence that any "fairy-cyclist" was involved, note.
>>
>> Love how he describes himself (taken from the Grauniad article about
>> this delicious prank) as "pro-fairy-cycling" and claims to
>> "fairy-cycle" (by which I assume he means he has a green bin that his
>> plastic waste goes in) yet his blogs and press pieces always moan
>> about "lycra clad" militant elitist lefty fairy-cyclists not paying
>> their way. Has he published his annual "how much do you hate
>> fairy-cyclists" err I mean, "entirely balanced sample of road users
>> opinions" (no confirmation bias here, move along) survey this year yet?
>
> What you describe as a "delicious prank" might well be seen by more
> responsible people as harassment.

"Someone who tells people to not do things they themselves do. ·
somebody who pretends to have admirable principles, beliefs, or feelings
but behaves otherwise."

There should be a word for that!

Re: Fair Fuel UK boss blames "militant cyclist" for marking his house as petrol station on Google Maps

<siul29$eh2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3293&group=uk.rec.cycling#3293

From: muzhm...@centrum.sk (Peter Keller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
as petrol station on Google Maps
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 21:51:21 +1300
 by: Peter Keller - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 08:51 UTC

On 28/09/21 08:01, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

> Pissed again, brain playing up again, the demons have been talking to you,
> on painkillers? Which one?
> The demons come in the darkness. Don't they Mason?

Lucky number slevin was always the second best.

Brain-boiled asswad jockey