"When anyone says `theoretically,' they really mean `not really.'" -- David Parnas

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Reckless driver who killed teenage boy on bike in Washington is jailed

SubjectAuthor
* Reckless driver who killed teenage boy on bike in Washington is jailedSimon Mason
+* Re: Reckless driver who killed teenage boy on bike in Washington is jailedSimon Mason
|+- Re: Reckless driver who killed teenage boy on bike inSpike
|+* Re: Reckless driver who killed teenage boy on bike in Washington is jailedSimon Mason
||+- Re: Reckless driver who killed teenage boy on bike inSpike
||`- Re: Reckless driver who killed teenage boy on bike in Washington isJNugent
|`* Re: Reckless driver who killed teenage boy on bike in Washington is jailedSimon Mason
| `* Re: Reckless driver who killed teenage boy on bike inSpike
|  `- Re: Reckless driver who killed teenage boy on bike in Washington isJNugent
+* Re: Reckless driver who killed teenage boy on bike in Washington is jailedSimon Mason
|+- Re: Reckless driver who killed teenage boy on bike in Washington isJNugent
|`- Re: Reckless driver who killed teenage boy on bike inSpike
+* Re: Reckless driver who killed teenage boy on bike in Washington is jailedSimon Mason
|+- Re: Reckless driver who killed teenage boy on bike in Washington isJNugent
|`* Re: Reckless driver who killed teenage boy on bike in Washington is jailedSimon Mason
| `- Re: Reckless driver who killed teenage boy on bike in Washington isJNugent
`- Re: Reckless driver who killed teenage boy on bike in Washington is jailedSimon Mason

1
Reckless driver who killed teenage boy on bike in Washington is jailed

<9ad024d3-d845-4cfd-8116-a306eaf74342n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32934&group=uk.rec.cycling#32934

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 13:10:02 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Reckless driver who killed teenage boy on bike in Washington is jailed
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 21:10 UTC

A reckless speeding driver who killed a teenage boy on a bike in Washington and tried to cover it up by fleeing the scene, leaving him in the road, has been jailed.

Shortly after 8.10pm on August 14 of last year, officers were alerted to a collision involving a car and a pedal bike on Glover Road.

It was reported that a red Vauxhall Corsa had been travelling north onto Silverstone Road, when it struck a boy on a bike, who was crossing from the underpass.

The driver – now known to be 20-year-old Kayn Galer – initially sped away, leaving the boy to fight for his life.

A short time later, Galer returned to the scene after being convinced by a friend – and was greeted by emergency services, who were already in attendance.

While being quizzed by officers on how fast he had been driving, Galer lied and said he was doing ‘no more than 20 or 30 miles per hour’ and insisted that he had not fled. LYING BASTARD.

An investigation was immediately launched by the Force’s Motor Patrols department, and Galer was arrested at the scene on suspicion of causing serious injury by dangerous driving.

The boy, who was named as 13-year-old Gregg Lewis McGuire from Washington, was rushed to hospital in a critical condition but sadly died two days later on August 16.

Following his death, Gregg’s heartbroken family paid tribute to their “cheeky boy who lived life to the fullest.”

Galer was later charged with a string of offences as part of the investigation. He appeared before Newcastle Crown Court on June 15 and pleaded guilty to causing death by careless driving, using a vehicle without third party insurance and failing to stop after an accident.

On Friday, July 28, Galer, of Pinewood Avenue in Harraton, Washington, appeared before the same court where he was sentenced to nine months in a Young Offenders Institute, with a three-year driving ban and extended test requirement after release.

Speaking after the sentencing, Sergeant Ray Lowery, of Northumbria Police, said: “This was an absolutely tragic case – and our thoughts remain with Gregg’s family and loved ones at this incredibly difficult time.

“I have the upmost respect for how they have carried themselves through what has been such a devastating ordeal and I would like to commend their bravery and composure throughout the investigation.

“Galer’s reckless actions on that fateful day caused the death of a much-loved, happy, teenage boy who had his whole life ahead of him..

“Not only that, but Galer initially fled the scene and failed to report what had happened to emergency services – leaving Gregg helpless lying in the road, without the medical support he so desperately needed.

“Owing to the strong evidence stacked against him in this case, Galer had little choice but to admit his guilt. The change of plea also avoided a lengthy trial which Gregg’s family would have had to sit through.

“I would like to thank the team of officers involved in this investigation who were able to put Galer before the courts to be dealt with.

“As a Force, we will continue to do everything in our power to make our roads safe for all users – and to put those found to be driving dangerously and flouting the law before the courts.”

https://beta.northumbria.police.uk/latest-news/2023/july/reckless-driver-who-killed-teenage-boy-on-bike-in-washington-is-jailed/

Re: Reckless driver who killed teenage boy on bike in Washington is jailed

<5b205d49-e0b1-4a05-9df4-824776f73712n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32942&group=uk.rec.cycling#32942

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 23:14:55 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 07:14 UTC

QUOTE:
Galer was later charged with a string of offences as part of the investigation. He appeared before Newcastle Crown Court on June 15 and pleaded guilty to causing death by careless driving, using a vehicle without third party insurance and failing to stop after an accident. ENDS

Where was the "accident"?

Re: Reckless driver who killed teenage boy on bike in Washington is jailed

<krjfo0FsbidU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32943&group=uk.rec.cycling#32943

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Reckless driver who killed teenage boy on bike in
Washington is jailed
Date: 15 Nov 2023 09:01:53 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 09:01 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> QUOTE:
> Galer was later charged with a string of offences as part of the
> investigation. He appeared before Newcastle Crown Court on June 15 and
> pleaded guilty to causing death by careless driving, using a vehicle
> without third party insurance and failing to stop after an accident. ENDS
>
> Where was the "accident"?

Close to the front of his vehicle? 🙄

--
Spike

Re: Reckless driver who killed teenage boy on bike in Washington is jailed

<88a202db-2a4f-45b2-b764-9c82931d1337n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32949&group=uk.rec.cycling#32949

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 03:38:59 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 11:38 UTC

On Wednesday, November 15, 2023 at 7:14:56 AM UTC, Simon Mason wrote:
> QUOTE:
> Galer was later charged with a string of offences as part of the investigation. He appeared before Newcastle Crown Court on June 15 and pleaded guilty to causing death by careless driving, using a vehicle without third party insurance and failing to stop after an accident. ENDS
>
> Where was the "accident"?

QUOTE: While being quizzed by officers on how fast he had been driving, Galer lied and said he was doing ‘no more than 20 or 30 miles per hour’ ENDS

Therefore he was speeding and it was no "accident".

Re: Reckless driver who killed teenage boy on bike in Washington is jailed

<krk3mfF2m6uU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32957&group=uk.rec.cycling#32957

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Washington is jailed
Date: 15 Nov 2023 14:42:23 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 14:42 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 15, 2023 at 7:14:56 AM UTC, Simon Mason wrote:
>> QUOTE:
>> Galer was later charged with a string of offences as part of the
>> investigation. He appeared before Newcastle Crown Court on June 15 and
>> pleaded guilty to causing death by careless driving, using a vehicle
>> without third party insurance and failing to stop after an accident. ENDS
>>
>> Where was the "accident"?
>
> QUOTE: While being quizzed by officers on how fast he had been driving,
> Galer lied and said he was doing ‘no more than 20 or 30 miles per hour’ ENDS

> Therefore he was speeding and it was no "accident".

Nope. The law (remember that?) says it is an accident.

--
Spike

Re: Reckless driver who killed teenage boy on bike in Washington is jailed

<krk85tF3ltqU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32962&group=uk.rec.cycling#32962

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Reckless driver who killed teenage boy on bike in Washington is
jailed
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 15:58:54 +0000
 by: JNugent - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 15:58 UTC

On 15/11/2023 11:38 am, Simon Mason wrote:

> On Wednesday, November 15, 2023 at 7:14:56 AM UTC, Simon Mason wrote:

>> QUOTE:
>> Galer was later charged with a string of offences as part of the investigation. He appeared before Newcastle Crown Court on June 15 and pleaded guilty to causing death by careless driving, using a vehicle without third party insurance and failing to stop after an accident. ENDS
>> Where was the "accident"?

> QUOTE: While being quizzed by officers on how fast he had been driving, Galer lied and said he was doing ‘no more than 20 or 30 miles per hour’ ENDS

What evidence is there that he was doing more than 30mph?

> Therefore he was speeding and it was no "accident".

You don't actually understand that "therefore" means, do you?

And it only has two syllables.

Re: Reckless driver who killed teenage boy on bike in Washington is jailed

<c0117b8f-dda5-40b1-82a8-1cf4b6c660dcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32968&group=uk.rec.cycling#32968

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 08:23:37 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 16:23 UTC

QUOTE: “Owing to the strong evidence stacked against him in this case, Galer had little choice but to admit his guilt. The change of plea also avoided a lengthy trial which Gregg’s family would have had to sit through. ENDS

The bastard killer realised he was guilty - the change of plea was in no way to spare his poor family the ordeal of a trial.
Lying scum drivers never do that.

Re: Reckless driver who killed teenage boy on bike in Washington is jailed

<krka8hF4753U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32975&group=uk.rec.cycling#32975

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Washington is jailed
Date: 15 Nov 2023 16:34:25 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 16:34 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> QUOTE: “Owing to the strong evidence stacked against him in this case,
> Galer had little choice but to admit his guilt. The change of plea also
> avoided a lengthy trial which Gregg’s family would have had to sit through. ENDS
>
> The bastard killer realised he was guilty - the change of plea was in no
> way to spare his poor family the ordeal of a trial.
> Lying scum drivers never do that.

You seem to be conflating legality with morality.

--
Spike

Re: Reckless driver who killed teenage boy on bike in Washington is jailed

<krkb04F4apeU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32980&group=uk.rec.cycling#32980

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
jailed
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 16:47:01 +0000
 by: JNugent - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 16:47 UTC

On 15/11/2023 04:34 pm, Spike wrote:

> Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

>> QUOTE: “Owing to the strong evidence stacked against him in this case,
>> Galer had little choice but to admit his guilt. The change of plea also
>> avoided a lengthy trial which Gregg’s family would have had to sit through. ENDS
>
>> The bastard killer realised he was guilty - the change of plea was in no
>> way to spare his poor family the ordeal of a trial.

No-one had even claimed that. All your quoted text says is that the
change of plea removed the need for a trial.

You *did* know that a trial only takes place where is a not guilty plea,
M'Lud (I hope)?

>> Lying scum drivers never do that.
>
> You seem to be conflating legality with morality.

And confusing his fiction with fact.

Re: Reckless driver who killed teenage boy on bike in Washington is jailed

<215179bd-60f8-4ab0-9500-25b394ec88ebn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32990&group=uk.rec.cycling#32990

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 10:00:19 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 18:00 UTC

QUOTE: On Friday, July 28, Galer, of Pinewood Avenue in Harraton, Washington, appeared before the same court where he was sentenced to nine months in a Young Offenders Institute, with a three-year driving ban and extended test requirement after release. ENDS

He is a 20 year old man - what is he doing in a "Young Offenders Institute"?

Re: Reckless driver who killed teenage boy on bike in Washington is jailed

<krkik5F60bbU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32994&group=uk.rec.cycling#32994

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
jailed
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 18:57:10 +0000
 by: JNugent - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 18:57 UTC

On 15/11/2023 06:00 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> QUOTE: On Friday, July 28, Galer, of Pinewood Avenue in Harraton, Washington, appeared before the same court where he was sentenced to nine months in a Young Offenders Institute, with a three-year driving ban and extended test requirement after release. ENDS
>
> He is a 20 year old man - what is he doing in a "Young Offenders Institute"?

I expect it was still called "borstal" when you were sent there?

Re: Reckless driver who killed teenage boy on bike in Washington is jailed

<krkjp2F6dg7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32995&group=uk.rec.cycling#32995

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Washington is jailed
Date: 15 Nov 2023 19:16:50 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 19:16 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> QUOTE: On Friday, July 28, Galer, of Pinewood Avenue in Harraton,
> Washington, appeared before the same court where he was sentenced to nine
> months in a Young Offenders Institute, with a three-year driving ban and
> extended test requirement after release. ENDS

> He is a 20 year old man - what is he doing in a "Young Offenders Institute"?

What is he doing in a "Young Offenders Institute"? Having an easy time of
it, of course. But you could always ask that famous cyclist and killer
Charlie Alliston about that.

--
Spike

Re: Reckless driver who killed teenage boy on bike in Washington is jailed

<ac43f95a-e802-43a5-bbad-404656d3a89bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32998&group=uk.rec.cycling#32998

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 12:32:59 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 20:32 UTC

A speeding driver who killed a child in his uninsured and modified motor has been locked up for nine months.

Kayn Galer was seen "flying along" the 30mph Silverstone Road in Washington, before he hit Gregg McGuire, who was cycling to a sleepover on August 14 last year.

Newcastle Crown Court heard the 13-year-old suffered catastrophic head injuries, including skull fractures, and died in hospital two days later.

After the impact, Galer, who had been on his way to meet other "car enthusiasts", drove away with a shattered windscreen that left him with virtually "zero" visability, at up to 56mph and on the wrong side of the road for a time.

He did return to the crash scene minutes later.

The court heard shortly before he hit Gregg, Galer, whose Vauxhall Corsa VXR had an air filter, remapped engine and modified suspension to increase acceleration and performance, was travelling at around 46mph and increasing.

He had braked shortly before he hit the boy, who was not wearing a helmet and had not seen Galer's vehicle when he cycled onto the road, but was still going at between 20-29mph on impact.

The court heard although Galer, who had passed his driving test in November 2021, had no previous driving, or any other, convictions, he had two section 59 warnings about the use of a previous vehicle.

One warning was on January 31 22, when he was in a car that had been seen "racing" another vehicle on Wessington Way in Sunderland.

The other was on June 24 2022, when a vehicle he was in had been seen in a Tesco car park, driven at speed and in a careless manner.

Gregg died in hospital two days after he was hit, despite the best efforts of medics to save him.

In a heartbreaking statement, his grieving mum Alison Rudkin said Gregg was a happy boy who was kind and caring, who loved football and Play Station and had saved his Christmas and birthday money to buy his own puppy.

She said that her precious son brought laughter into his family's lives, dreamed of being a footballer or pilot and added: "No mother should have to watch their fit and healthy 13-year-old child die.

"I am haunted by the image of him by the side of the road, left to die alone. Even though I wasn't there, that's what I see in my nightmares.

"The lack of concern he was shown breaks my heart. "I pray Gregg was not in pain and was unaware the driver had left him."

The mum thanked the passers-by who stopped and comforted her "baby boy" after he was hit but added that the thought of being hit and then left is "torture" for her.

She added: "All I do most days is cry."

She said kisses used to heal everything and added: "I kissed him about 1000 times in the last days of his life, tried to make him better but couldn't."

Galer, 20, of Pinewood Avenue, Harraton, Washington, pleaded guilty to causing death by careless driving, using a vehicle without third party insurance and failing to stop after an accident.

Judge Paul Sloan KC sentenced him to nine months in a Young Offenders Institute with a three year road ban and extended test requirement after release..

Judge Sloan told Galer: "Gregg McGuire was a popular, happy, caring boy who had his whole life before him.

"Now, because of your actions that evening, his family has been left utterly broken.

"No sentence I am permitted by law to impose can even begin to ease their pain and suffering, pain and suffering that will remain with them for the rest of their lives."

Nicholas Lane, defending, handed in letters and character references on behalf of Galer, who is an apprentice at an engineering firm.

Mr Lane said: "The personal statements read from Gregg McGuire's family members show he was clearly a bright young man with great promise.

"The defendant accepts full responsibility for his actions and fully acknowledges the loss and the hurt that has been caused to family and friends of Gregg McGuire.

"He is remorseful for his behaviour on that day in August."

Mr Lane said Galer was 19 at the time, had been driving for just nine months and believed his insurance on a previous car covered him for the Corsa. He urged the judge to suspend any prison sentence.

Mr Lane added: "Custody may in fact be more detrimental to the good of society in the long run, exposing him to pro-criminal elements and affecting his development and maturity going forward."

[...]

“As a Force, we will continue to do everything in our power to make our roads safe for all users – and to put those found to be driving dangerously and floating the law before the courts.”

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/crime/speeding-driver-locked-up-for-killing-child-while-in-uninsured-modified-car-4236065

Re: Reckless driver who killed teenage boy on bike in Washington is jailed

<krl7kkFa4taU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33016&group=uk.rec.cycling#33016

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
jailed
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 00:55:50 +0000
 by: JNugent - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 00:55 UTC

On 15/11/2023 08:32 pm, Simon Mason wrote:
> [...]
>
> “Not only that, but Galer initially fled the scene and failed to report what had happened to emergency services – leaving Gregg helpless lying in the road, without the medical support he so desperately needed.
>
> “Owing to the strong evidence stacked against him in this case, Galer had little choice but to admit his guilt. The change of plea also avoided a lengthy trial which Gregg’s family would have had to sit through.
>
> “I would like to thank the team of officers involved in this investigation who were able to put Galer before the courts to be dealt with.
>
> “As a Force, we will continue to do everything in our power to make our roads safe for all users – and to put those found to be driving dangerously and floating the law before the courts.”

"Floating" the law?

Who wrote that? The police officer or the Sunderland Echo reporter?

Re: Reckless driver who killed teenage boy on bike in Washington is jailed

<b58a434f-2685-4712-af21-29929029b056n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33023&group=uk.rec.cycling#33023

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 00:14:17 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 08:14 UTC

QUOTE: In a heartbreaking statement, his grieving mum Alison Rudkin said Gregg was a happy boy who was kind and caring, who loved football and Play Station and had saved his Christmas and birthday money to buy his own puppy.ENDS

I had tears in my eyes when I read that - what piece of scum could deprive a mother of her precious little boy in that manner?

Re: Reckless driver who killed teenage boy on bike in Washington is jailed

<krou8lF78ghU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33092&group=uk.rec.cycling#33092

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
jailed
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 10:40:21 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 10:40 UTC

On 16/11/2023 08:14 am, Simon Mason wrote:

> QUOTE: In a heartbreaking statement, his grieving mum Alison Rudkin said Gregg was a happy boy who was kind and caring, who loved football and Play Station and had saved his Christmas and birthday money to buy his own puppy.ENDS
>
> I had tears in my eyes when I read that - what piece of scum could deprive a mother of her precious little boy in that manner?

The same sort who would furiously and deliberately ride his chav-bike
into a pedestrian, whether on or off the FOOTway?

Re: Reckless driver who killed teenage boy on bike in Washington is jailed

<96b1f0cb-df1d-47b0-9986-3be24ffa1ea7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33098&group=uk.rec.cycling#33098

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 03:41:46 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 11:41 UTC

QUOTE: “Owing to the strong evidence stacked against him in this case, Galer had little choice but to admit his guilt. ENDS

He never tried the "low flying Sun" wriggle - where was Mr Arsehole?