Nihilism should commence with oneself.

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: Satellite Dish Bearing

SubjectAuthor
* Satellite Dish BearingJeff Gaines
+- Re: Satellite Dish BearingIndy Jess John
+* Re: Satellite Dish BearingAndy Burns
|+- Re: Satellite Dish Bearingcharles
|+* Re: Satellite Dish BearingR. Mark Clayton
||+- Re: Satellite Dish Bearingcharles
||`* Re: Satellite Dish BearingPaul Ratcliffe
|| `* Re: Satellite Dish BearingBrian Gregory
||  `* Re: Satellite Dish BearingDavid Woolley
||   `* Re: Satellite Dish BearingR. Mark Clayton
||    `* Re: Satellite Dish BearingNY
||     +* Re: Satellite Dish BearingDavid Woolley
||     |+- Re: Satellite Dish Bearingwilliamwright
||     |`* Re: Satellite Dish BearingR. Mark Clayton
||     | `* Re: Satellite Dish BearingR. Mark Clayton
||     |  `- Re: Satellite Dish Bearingwilliamwright
||     +- Re: Satellite Dish BearingDavid Woolley
||     `- Re: Satellite Dish Bearingwilliamwright
|`- Re: Satellite Dish BearingMartin
+- Re: Satellite Dish Bearingcharles
+* Re: Satellite Dish BearingJeff Gaines
|+* Re: Satellite Dish Bearingcharles
||`- Re: Satellite Dish BearingAndy Burns
|+* Re: Satellite Dish BearingR. Mark Clayton
||`* Re: Satellite Dish BearingJava Jive
|| `- Re: Satellite Dish BearingR. Mark Clayton
|+* Re: Satellite Dish BearingDave W
||`* Re: Satellite Dish BearingBrian Gregory
|| `- Re: Satellite Dish Bearingwilliamwright
|`* Re: Satellite Dish Bearingtony sayer
| `* Re: Satellite Dish BearingDavid Woolley
|  `- Re: Satellite Dish Bearingtony sayer
+* Re: Satellite Dish Bearingwilliamwright
|+* Re: Satellite Dish BearingAndy Burns
||`- Re: Satellite Dish Bearingalan_m
|`* Re: Satellite Dish BearingDavid Woolley
| `* Re: Satellite Dish BearingR. Mark Clayton
|  `* Re: Satellite Dish BearingDavid Woolley
|   `- Re: Satellite Dish BearingR. Mark Clayton
+* Re: Satellite Dish Bearingalan_m
|+* Re: Satellite Dish BearingJeff Gaines
||+* Re: Satellite Dish BearingAndy Burns
|||`- Re: Satellite Dish BearingR. Mark Clayton
||`* Re: Satellite Dish Bearingalan_m
|| `* Re: Satellite Dish BearingJeff Gaines
||  `* Re: Satellite Dish BearingJava Jive
||   `* Re: Satellite Dish Bearingalan_m
||    `- Re: Satellite Dish BearingJava Jive
|`* Re: Satellite Dish BearingBrian Gregory
| +* Re: Satellite Dish BearingAndy Burns
| |`- Re: Satellite Dish Bearingalan_m
| `- Re: Satellite Dish Bearingalan_m
+* Re: Satellite Dish BearingRobin
|`- Re: Satellite Dish BearingR. Mark Clayton
`* Re: Satellite Dish BearingJeff Gaines
 `* Re: Satellite Dish Bearingwilliamwright
  `- Re: Satellite Dish BearingJeff Gaines

Pages:123
Re: Satellite Dish Bearing

<xn0ngnoa52yvrzm006@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32952&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#32952

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Satellite Dish Bearing
Date: 15 Apr 2022 19:53:29 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 19:53 UTC

On 15/04/2022 in message <jbtpm6Fa1aaU1@mid.individual.net> alan_m wrote:

>>It shows the tree in my next door but one neighbour's garden with the
>>green line apparently clear of it, using the compass on my 'phone it's
>>marginal - 135 degrees clears it, above that it gets dodgy. I probably
>>ought to wait for the leaves to come out before I get an installer in.
>>

>What does the red blob tell you:) That will give the height the tree
>needs to be to block the signal. The measurement is referenced to the
>bottom of your dish so if mounted mounted fairly high up you may find that
>the signal clears the top of the tree with ease.
>
>I have a 3 storey block of flats approx 4 (terrace house) garden widths
>away from my installation and I have my dish at the upstairs window level.
>To block the signal the flats would have to be 18 metres taller than where
>I mounted the dish. My neighbour, closer to the block of flats has his
>dish mounted around 6 foot from ground level and he has no reception
>problems.

I could play with this tool all day :-)

Placing the line on the back wall near a corner, which would be ideal, I
have a green blob that says:

Satellite: 28.2E ASTRA 2E | ASTRA 2F | ASTRA 2G
Elevation: 25.2°
Azimuth (true): 143.3°
Azimuth (magn.): 143.3°

I found the height feature - it says 24 metres for height and the tree is
slightly under the height of the chalet bungalow ridge tiles so I will be
long gone by the time it gets to 24 metres.

Fascinating! Thanks again :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
I take full responsibility for what happened - that is why the person that

Re: Satellite Dish Bearing

<t3cn25$fte$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32953&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#32953

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 22:11:29 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 21:11 UTC

On 15/04/2022 20:53, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> On 15/04/2022 in message <jbtpm6Fa1aaU1@mid.individual.net> alan_m wrote:
>>
>> What does the red blob tell you:)  That will give the height the tree
>> needs to be to block the signal. The measurement is referenced to the
>> bottom of your dish so if mounted mounted fairly high up you may find
>> that the signal clears the top of the tree with ease.
>>
>> I have a 3 storey block of flats approx 4 (terrace house) garden
>> widths away from my installation and I have my dish at the upstairs
>> window level. To block the signal the flats would have to be 18 metres
>> taller than where I mounted the dish. My neighbour, closer to the
>> block of flats has his dish mounted around 6 foot from ground level
>> and he has no reception problems.
>
> I could play with this tool all day :-)
>
> Placing the line on the back wall near a corner, which would be ideal, I
> have a green blob that says:
>
> Satellite: 28.2E ASTRA 2E | ASTRA 2F | ASTRA 2G
> Elevation: 25.2°
> Azimuth (true): 143.3°
> Azimuth (magn.): 143.3°
>
> I found the height feature - it says 24 metres for height and the tree
> is slightly under the height of the chalet bungalow ridge tiles so I
> will be long gone by the time it gets to 24 metres.
>
> Fascinating! Thanks again :-)

Some words of caution. As others have pointed out, the (clusters of)
satellites tend to be spaced at intervals of about 3 degrees around the
Clarke Belt (the usual term for the geo-stationary equatorial orbit; BTW
*not* the Ecliptic, that's something else entirely). This doesn't leave
much room for error, and potentially there are a number of sources of
error in aligning a dish. While any one on its own may not be too much
of a problem, combined with others, it could be, so it pays to be aware
of such errors, if only to be able to know in any one particular case
either that they're not a problem, or how to eliminate them if they are.

It is a given that there will be some error in aligning a dish, because
no such physical process is ever done perfectly. The pros here will
probably have their own opinions based on their greater experience, but
based on mine I suspect that unless the dish adjustment mechanism is
particularly good or particular naff, about one degree may result from
that alone.

It's a long time since I used Dishpointer, but it works essentially to
the way mine did when it was working ...

There is often an offset between the overhead imagery overlay and the
underlying map, see the example page on my site linked previously, and
this could lead to quite significant error. If when you examine the map
you find that the map of the streets doesn't exactly coincide with their
position in the imagery, then you have two problems:
1) Which is more likely correct? I suspect most probably the map.
2) How much is it out, and how to compensate for it?

Further, the maths is done assuming the earth is a sphere, but it's not,
and, from memory, this introduces an error of up to half a degree at
mid-latitudes for satellites that are at mid-range azimuths east or west
of the location's meridian, reducing to zero error for satellites that
are over the meridian.

With Dishpointer there is potentially a third source of error, from the
use of photographs. Right from the first, I suspected that this
functionality was a gimmick of very limited real life usefulness, so
never tried to copy it. My reasoning is simply this: a photo's scale
depends on the focal length of the lens, focussing, etc, which vary from
camera to camera, and further the photo may not have been taken quite in
the right direction or pointing truly horizontally. If Dishpointer
don't know accurately the photo's scale, horizontality, and direction,
how do they know where to annotate markings on it?

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Satellite Dish Bearing

<t0sj5hhsu976o86j4p0m9gf5q1q2e11i8i@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32954&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#32954

From: davew...@yahoo.co.uk (Dave W)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 23:26:50 +0100
 by: Dave W - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 22:26 UTC

On 15 Apr 2022 10:29:37 GMT, "Jeff Gaines"
<jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>There's only one neighbour with a dish, it's mounted on an extension roof
>and points at the house roof so may not be too effective. There is a large
>tree which I think may be in the way which is why I want to get a rough
>idea before calling an installer in.
>
>Thanks again.
When you say "points", maybe you are referring to the dish axis, but
often the LNB is off axis, and the incoming signal is at an equal and
opposite angle to the axis, i.e. over the top of the roof.
--
Dave W

Re: Satellite Dish Bearing

<jbufk2Fe39bU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32955&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#32955

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 01:06:26 +0100
 by: alan_m - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 00:06 UTC

On 15/04/2022 22:11, Java Jive wrote:

> There is often an offset between the overhead imagery overlay and the
> underlying map, see the example page on my site linked previously, and
> this could lead to quite significant error.  If when you examine the map
> you find that the map of the streets doesn't exactly coincide with their
> position in the imagery, then you have two problems:
>   1)    Which is more likely correct?  I suspect most probably the map.
>   2)    How much is it out, and how to compensate for it?
>
> Further, the maths is done assuming the earth is a sphere, but it's not,
> and, from memory, this introduces an error of up to half a degree at
> mid-latitudes for satellites that are at mid-range azimuths east or west
> of the location's meridian, reducing to zero error for satellites that
> are over the meridian.
>
> With Dishpointer there is potentially a third source of error, from the
> use of photographs.  Right from the first, I suspected that this
> functionality was a gimmick of very limited real life usefulness, so
> never tried to copy it.  My reasoning is simply this: a photo's scale
> depends on the focal length of the lens, focussing, etc, which vary from
> camera to camera, and further the photo may not have been taken quite in
> the right direction or pointing truly horizontally.  If Dishpointer
> don't know accurately the photo's scale, horizontality, and direction,
> how do they know where to annotate markings on it?

Very easy to check the alignment of the map to the overhead street
image. Zoom out and pick 3 points of reference at the edge of the image
(place your finger on the computer screen) and swap between map and image.

I doubt if anyone installs a dish without some kind of meter to maximise
signal whilst moving the dish and even when tightening the mounting
bolts the meter will show any drop in level that can be compensated for.
I found when installing my dish knowing the exact bearing was of little
use as trying to use a compass up a ladder whilst attempting to look
down on the LNB arm was difficult. I used dishpointer to identify
something along the "green" line and pointing the lnb arm towards that
reference gave a starting point. It was then a matter of moving the dish
by a small amount to get a signal on the meter. I was already aware that
in my location, and with a sky type mini dish, that the LNB arm had to
be almost horizontal. The meter I used cost a fiver.
I probably spent more time compensating for dish movement when
tightening bolts than I did finding 28.2E.

Where dishpointer comes in handy is getting some feel about where you
can position a dish. As I previously indicated with a 3 storey block of
flats nearby dishpointer gave me a quick confirmation that positioning a
dish anywhere on the back of my property wouldn't be a problem.

Re: Satellite Dish Bearing

<slrnt5k3p0.40vg.abuse@news.pr.network>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32956&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#32956

From: abu...@orac12.clara34.co56.uk78 (Paul Ratcliffe)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 00:34:40 GMT
Sender: abuse@win7.lan
 by: Paul Ratcliffe - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 00:34 UTC

On Fri, 15 Apr 2022 09:30:02 -0700 (PDT), R. Mark Clayton
<notyalckram@gmail.com> wrote:

> It is - the satellites are 3° apart and alternate polarity

Polarisation.

Re: Satellite Dish Bearing

<jbuoqnFfmmlU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32957&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#32957

From: void-inv...@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 03:43:35 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 02:43 UTC

On 16/04/2022 01:34, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Apr 2022 09:30:02 -0700 (PDT), R. Mark Clayton
> <notyalckram@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It is - the satellites are 3° apart and alternate polarity
>
> Polarisation.

AFAIK most satellites for satellite TV use both horizontal and vertical
polarization to double the available bandwidth.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: Satellite Dish Bearing

<jbupj6Ffql9U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32958&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#32958

From: void-inv...@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 03:56:37 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 02:56 UTC

On 15/04/2022 23:26, Dave W wrote:
> On 15 Apr 2022 10:29:37 GMT, "Jeff Gaines"
> <jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> There's only one neighbour with a dish, it's mounted on an extension roof
>> and points at the house roof so may not be too effective. There is a large
>> tree which I think may be in the way which is why I want to get a rough
>> idea before calling an installer in.
>>
>> Thanks again.
>
> When you say "points", maybe you are referring to the dish axis, but
> often the LNB is off axis, and the incoming signal is at an equal and
> opposite angle to the axis, i.e. over the top of the roof.

Yes. Many types look, at least if you don't look closely and think about
it, as if they are pointing lower than they actually are.

Typically here, in Southern England, the satellite (Astra 2E/2F/2G at
28.2°E) is around 25° above the horizon.

https://www.dishpointer.com/
might be useful.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: Satellite Dish Bearing

<jbupv6FfsndU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32959&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#32959

From: void-inv...@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 04:03:02 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 03:03 UTC

On 15/04/2022 13:39, alan_m wrote:
> On 15/04/2022 09:51, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>
>> I am trying to see if I could have a satellite dish to serve my
>> Freesat box. As far as I can see from Googling I need to allow 5
>> degrees variation so point it at 247 degrees. Does this seem correct
>> for Alderholt (3 mile west of Fordingbridge, Hampshire)? At this stage
>> I'm just trying to see if it's feasible with trees/obstacle etc.
>>
>> Will an aerial installer be able to fit me a wideband Sky dish without
>> signing me up to Sky?
>>

> To see if you have any obstructions
> Go to https://www.dishpointer.com/
> In the fist box type in your post code
> In the second box select the satellite. 28.2E Astra 2E, 2F, 2G for Freesat
> Press the search button
> You should get a map or satellite image with a green line. This line
> points to the satellite.
> The map or satellite image is a user selectable option
> Click on the green blob at the end of the green line and drag it to you
> house or location where you are going to install the dish. You can zoom
> in the map or satellite image.
> There is a tick box labelled "show obstacle (line of sight checker)"
> This puts a moveable red blob on the green line indicating the height
> you need to clear any nearby objects.
>
> Any installer should be able to install a sky type dish for any purpose.
> It's not the dish that is wideband but the LNB attached to it.
>
> If yo already have an old Freesat box it will not support a wideband LNB
> - just a universal LNB - but go for a quad universal LNB.
>
> It's only very recently the some Freesat boxes have supported the sky
> wideband LNB or check your box before going down this (wideband) route.

Myself I'd seriously think about a unicable LNB. Just one cable and with
a unicable capable receiver it pretty much does everything any other
type can do. Get one with some legacy universal connections too if in
doubt about whether you will always have unicable capable receivers.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: Satellite Dish Bearing

<jbv5ncFhvd8U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32960&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#32960

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 07:23:38 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 06:23 UTC

Brian Gregory wrote:

> I'd seriously think about a unicable LNB. Just one cable and with a unicable
> capable receiver

Maybe a technically elegant solution, but surely unicable receivers are more
rare than wideband ones? I suppose you could use a fancy multiswitch at the
bottom to fool a freesat receiver into thinking it's talking to a normal LNB so
you do get the EPG?

Re: Satellite Dish Bearing

<jbvbr2Fj2jbU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32961&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#32961

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 09:08:01 +0100
 by: alan_m - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 08:08 UTC

On 16/04/2022 04:03, Brian Gregory wrote:

> Myself I'd seriously think about a unicable LNB. Just one cable and with
> a unicable capable receiver it pretty much does everything any other
> type can do. Get one with some legacy universal connections too if in
> doubt about whether you will always have unicable capable receivers.

If I was upgrading this is the route I would choose but I would also buy
at least one receiver with FCB tuners to take full advantage of the
technology.

The OP already has a receiver that supports the Sky wideband LNB.

Re: Satellite Dish Bearing

<jbvcruFj9c8U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32962&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#32962

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 09:25:33 +0100
 by: alan_m - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 08:25 UTC

On 16/04/2022 07:23, Andy Burns wrote:
> Brian Gregory wrote:
>
>> I'd seriously think about a unicable LNB. Just one cable and with a
>> unicable capable receiver
>
> Maybe a technically elegant solution, but surely unicable receivers are
> more rare than wideband ones?  I suppose you could use a fancy
> multiswitch at the bottom to fool a freesat receiver into thinking it's
> talking to a normal LNB so you do get the EPG?

Enigma2 receivers support unicable but there are a lot fewer models with
FBC tuners so for many of these enigma 2 boxes it doesn't look (in
practical terms) different from having a universal LNB connected.

One advantage of unicable is being able to distribute the cable to
multiple receivers with the use of cheap splitters but again
distribution around the home may be sky Q like with a unicable LNB, a
receiver with multiple tuners (FBC) and "slave" boxes networked via
wi-fi using the main box facilities (tuners, EPG, hard disk etc.)

The sky wideband LNB or uniable LNB is probably the future, until 100%
streaming becomes the preferred method.

Re: Satellite Dish Bearing

<t3e35e$bih$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32963&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#32963

From: dav...@ex.djwhome.demon.invalid (David Woolley)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 10:44:14 +0100
 by: David Woolley - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 09:44 UTC

On 16/04/2022 03:43, Brian Gregory wrote:
> AFAIK most satellites for satellite TV use both horizontal and vertical
> polarization to double the available bandwidth.

It's not to fully double the bandwidth. Adjacent frequencies are
transmitted with different polarisations, but the same frequency only
uses one. I'm not sure if this really allows an overlap, or whether it
is to simplify receivers.

Re: Satellite Dish Bearing

<hr8l5hpc7211dmg3l8u6s2shheq6u2t1kd@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32964&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#32964

From: me...@address.invalid (Martin)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 13:09:04 +0200
 by: Martin - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 11:09 UTC

On Fri, 15 Apr 2022 10:45:28 +0100, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

>Jeff Gaines wrote:
>
>> I am trying to see if I could have a satellite dish to serve my Freesat box. As
>> far as I can see from Googling I need to allow 5 degrees variation
>
>5° seems a lot.
>
>> so point it at 247 degrees. Does this seem correct for Alderholt (3 mile west
>> of Fordingbridge, Hampshire)
>
>Dishpointer says 143.3°

The software tool I used, name forgotten, identified potential obstructions.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Re: Satellite Dish Bearing

<t3e86q$ed8$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32965&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#32965

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 12:10:13 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 11:10 UTC

On 16/04/2022 01:06, alan_m wrote:

> Where dishpointer comes in handy is getting some feel about where you
> can position a dish. As I previously indicated with a 3 storey block of
> flats nearby dishpointer gave me a quick confirmation that positioning a
> dish anywhere on the back of my property wouldn't be a problem.

Oh yes, I'm not trying to say that tools like Dishpointer, and my own
when it was working, aren't very useful, I'm just advising due caution
when using them.

There is a tendency for people, particularly when they don't understand
something, to rely too much on its technology, I'm merely saying that
it's important to understand technology's limitations.

I could give myriads of examples, here are just a few ...

When doing calculations for maths and science O and A Level, it was
always drummed into us to have some ball-park figure of what the result
should be to check against the result that came from using log-tables, a
slide-rule, or a calculator. With the slide-rule, it's very easy to
lose track of the powers of ten, with the latter, it's very easy to
miskey an entry, and not notice it. With any of them, it's very easy,
one way or another, to come up with a nonsensical result.

Lie detectors are considered reliable in many US legal procedures, but,
when studying for Psychology as a subsidiary subject at uni, in one
tutorial we played around with one, and, based simply on knowing how
they work, I was able to fool the tutor running it as to the answer to a
question.

And of course there's the iconic example of our times, satnav! From the
tragic couple who drove off a pier in Germany because their satnav said
it was a bridge, or the laughable continental driver who entered
Gibraltar into his satnav, and ended up in a little village in Yorkshire
by that name (didn't he notice something might just be wrong when he had
to board a ferry to cross the Channel?), the examples are legion. Up
here, there's a road called Struie Hill, with three small bridges with
tight turns into and out of them along it, at least one of which is a
listed monument, and they keep getting damaged by artics because the
route is on their satnav. I wrote to the council suggesting that they
should try to get it removed from the satnav HGV routes or at least
listed as 'strictly access only', but never even received an
acknowledgement.

So by all means use Dishpointer and other similar tools, they can be
very helpful, but be aware of their limitations and don't treat them as
a latter day oracle.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Satellite Dish Bearing

<8DyMuXEpGsWiFwEF@bancom.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32966&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#32966

From: ton...@bancom.co.uk (tony sayer)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 14:16:25 +0100
 by: tony sayer - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 13:16 UTC

In article <xn0ngn9gx2eqn5b004@news.individual.net>, Jeff Gaines
<jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk> scribeth thus
>On 15/04/2022 in message <xn0ngn6up2b8l8a003@news.individual.net> Jeff
>Gaines wrote:
>

>>I am trying to see if I could have a satellite dish to serve my Freesat
>>box. As far as I can see from Googling I need to allow 5 degrees variation
>>so point it at 247 degrees. Does this seem correct for Alderholt (3 mile
>>west of Fordingbridge, Hampshire)? At this stage I'm just trying to see if
>>it's feasible with trees/obstacle etc.
>>
>>Will an aerial installer be able to fit me a wideband Sky dish without
>>signing me up to Sky?
>
>Thanks for the replies :-)
>
>I screwed the maths up, I think the answer is 153 degrees (including an
>allowance of 5 for variation) as follows:
>
>180 - 23 - 5 = 153.
>
>I think I took the variation off twice then wrote 247 instead of 147, good
>job I'm not flying to the moon!
>
>I found:
>
>"The most common satellites in the UK are the Astra 2 satellites at 28.2E
>and Eurobird at 28.5E."
>
>However, that's meaningless to me, the compass starts at 0 and ends at 359
>or 360 depending how pedantic you want to be.
>
>I suggested a Sky dish as with the wideband (Sky Q) version I can record 4
>channels (from memory) at a time. Doesn't happen very often that there's 4
>channels worth recording but does occasionally and as I'm starting from
>scratch I might as well do it properly. If there's a non Sky version that
>will do fine.
>
>There's only one neighbour with a dish, it's mounted on an extension roof
>and points at the house roof so may not be too effective. There is a large
>tree which I think may be in the way which is why I want to get a rough
>idea before calling an installer in.
>
>Thanks again.

Umm..

Satellites are marked in their position of degrees East and West of due
south thats 180 deg! so as near as dammit Astra 28.2 will be 180 Minus
28.2 is 151.8 on the conventional 0 at north 90 at east 180 at south and
270 west and 360 and Zero deg at North scale conversely a sat at say 12
deg West will be 180 PLUS 12 so 192 deg

As to will it clear a tree it might, as the satellites are a bit higher
than where the dish "seems" to point to.

As best you can sight along the axis of the LNB the gubbins thats on the
end of the arm thats on the dish and where that "hits" the dish then
that angle which is slightly below a level line imagine that angle now
coming off the dish as it were and pointing into space thats where the
sats actually are. A decent dish pointing prog will or might say aim at
151 deg and 40 or 50 deg elevation relative to the earth, aim that with
a protractor and is the line of that is above your tree then to will
work!..

Plenty of Vids on Youtube ion the subject!

--
Tony Sayer

Re: Satellite Dish Bearing

<t3ekl6$8bu$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32967&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#32967

From: dav...@ex.djwhome.demon.invalid (David Woolley)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 15:42:45 +0100
 by: David Woolley - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 14:42 UTC

On 16/04/2022 14:16, tony sayer wrote:
> Satellites are marked in their position of degrees East and West of due
> south thats 180 deg! so as near as dammit Astra 28.2 will be 180 Minus
> 28.2 is 151.8

No they are not. They are labelled by the longitude that they are over
at the equator. In the extreme case, of someone on the equator, their
azimuth is 90° or 270°. If you are at longitude 0, on the equator, the
angle to them below the vertical will still be larger than their station
position, because it is measured from the Earth's surface, whereas the
satellite position is relative to the centre of the Earth.

At the exact poles, the azimuth will be the nominal position, but due
South will be indeterminate, so you will need to use the prime meridian
as the reference. (More of a problem is that the elevation will be
negative, by about 8.5°.)

Elsewhere, on the prime meridian, azimuth, for most practical targets is
likely to be larger than the nominal position, although, for 90° and
270° positions it will be slightly smaller, because azimuths 90° and
270° are along a parallel of latitude but the satellites are over a more
southerly one (northern hemisphere).

For the gory details of the maths, including corrections for the
non-spherical Earth, see
<https://www.ngs.noaa.gov/CORS/Articles/SolerEisemannJSE.pdf>. The
parameter used to specify positions is what the article calls
sub-satellite point longitude.

Re: Satellite Dish Bearing

<jc0hjcFq2jcU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32968&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#32968

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 19:52:29 +0100
 by: williamwright - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 18:52 UTC

On 16/04/2022 03:56, Brian Gregory wrote:

> Typically here, in Southern England, the satellite (Astra 2E/2F/2G at
> 28.2°E) is around 25° above the horizon.
>
> https://www.dishpointer.com/
> might be useful.

http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/reference/dish-screened-by-roof.pdf

Bill

Re: Satellite Dish Bearing

<ccbfc595-97a6-4310-b156-081667411d48n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32971&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#32971

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 02:56:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: notyalck...@gmail.com (R. Mark Clayton)
 by: R. Mark Clayton - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 09:56 UTC

On Saturday, 16 April 2022 at 10:44:16 UTC+1, David Woolley wrote:
> On 16/04/2022 03:43, Brian Gregory wrote:
> > AFAIK most satellites for satellite TV use both horizontal and vertical
> > polarization to double the available bandwidth.
> It's not to fully double the bandwidth. Adjacent frequencies are
> transmitted with different polarisations, but the same frequency only
> uses one. I'm not sure if this really allows an overlap, or whether it
> is to simplify receivers.

Successive transponders use alternate polarisation (H & V)

For the adjacent satellites 3 degrees either side the polarisation is reversed (V & H)

This reduces adjacent channel interference on the same satellite and co-channel interference on adjacent satellites.

Re: Satellite Dish Bearing

<1238b956-5b08-45e3-9a27-68df0466fdd2n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32972&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#32972

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 02:57:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: notyalck...@gmail.com (R. Mark Clayton)
 by: R. Mark Clayton - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 09:57 UTC

On Friday, 15 April 2022 at 18:14:35 UTC+1, Java Jive wrote:
> On 15/04/2022 17:47, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
> >
> > Centuries ago the world pretty much agreed that Greenwich would be the prime Meridien. Longitudes to the east would be written nnE and to the west nnW, although these days some write -nn for east.
> >
> > The satellites are geostationary over the equator so their position is given as the latitude they are over,
> Presumably a typo, ITYM longitude ...

Yes of course!

> > For a satellite well to the east or west of your own position, you have to make allowance for the angle between you and the satellite (for 28E from 1W about five degrees,
> Yes, although my calculator page is no longer working (I'm working on
> that, but having trouble with it), the rest of my satellite pages are
> still relevant and may be helpful to the OP. The normal pages are
> designed to give general information, the analysis pages show how the
> necessary calculations are done:
>
> https://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/AudioVisualTV/SatelliteTV/SatelliteTV.html
>
> --
>
> Fake news kills!
>
> I may be contacted via the contact address given on my website:
> www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Satellite Dish Bearing

<eb51835b-aa6b-4c0d-9fdd-07e1cfc33970n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32974&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#32974

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 03:07:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: notyalck...@gmail.com (R. Mark Clayton)
 by: R. Mark Clayton - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 10:07 UTC

On Friday, 15 April 2022 at 18:41:15 UTC+1, David Woolley wrote:
> On 15/04/2022 17:52, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
> > You also need the declination angle for the dish at the latitude and longitude for your location.
> You don't mean declination. Declination pairs with right ascension, and
> is independent of location on the earth.

Another oops. On a steerable dish you mount the axis of rotation parallel to the axis of the earth and essentially point the dish parallel to the equatorial plane. However as the satellites are 22,000 miles away there is a small adjustment to account for the fact that they are not at infinity.
Or maybe not: -
http://www.geosats.com/polarmount.html#:~:text=Declination%20is%20the%20adjustment%20used,adjustment%20that%20many%20installers%20misalign.
seems the term is used for that angle too.

> > For a satellite overhead it is 90-latitude° and about 6-8°. So for Aldershot it is 29° - declination, which depends slightly on which satellite you are trying to receive.

> I couldn't work out what these figures represent. 29° is in right
> ballpark for the elevation of Astra1, we are talking about Freesat,
> which is Astra 2.

Astra 1 is over 19.2E, Astra 2 is over 28.2E
https://www.lyngsat.com/europe.html

$ky used to be on Astra 1 when analogue.

> Satellite dishes are normally pointed using alt-azimuth type
> coordinates, although the term elevation tends to be used, rather than
> altitude.

Re: Satellite Dish Bearing

<xn0ngq7bu5g0x8400d@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32975&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#32975

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: 17 Apr 2022 13:28:56 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 13:28 UTC

Gaines wrote:

>Will an aerial installer be able to fit me a wideband Sky dish without
>signing me up to Sky?

I have learned a lot from this thread so thanks very much :-)

Just to summarise:

I have a Freesat 4K Recordable - and it worked fine at my previous house
from a Sky dish with a wideband LNB with two outlets, it was able to
record four programmes at a time.

It seems a dish will be viable here, it will point at a tree but over the
top of it so getting in an installer in won't be wasting his time.

I go for a Sky size dish with a dual wideband LNB.

I'd like the leads to terminate in a dual F Type outlet so I can use
flying leads. Sky installers would rather just run the leads through the
wall. Is a dual F Type outlet box workable?

Thanks again!

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
The facts, although interesting, are irrelevant

Re: Satellite Dish Bearing

<jc2jckF7f44U2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32976&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#32976

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 14:35:17 +0100
 by: williamwright - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 13:35 UTC

On 17/04/2022 14:28, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> I'd like the leads to terminate in a dual F Type outlet so I can use
> flying leads. Sky installers would rather just run the leads through the
> wall. Is a dual F Type outlet box workable?

Yes.

Bill

Re: Satellite Dish Bearing

<xn0ngq8ca5hchih00e@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32977&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#32977

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: 17 Apr 2022 14:05:55 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 14:05 UTC

On 17/04/2022 in message <jc2jckF7f44U2@mid.individual.net> williamwright
wrote:

>On 17/04/2022 14:28, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>I'd like the leads to terminate in a dual F Type outlet so I can use
>>flying leads. Sky installers would rather just run the leads through the
>>wall. Is a dual F Type outlet box workable?
>
>Yes.
>
>Bill

Thanks Bill :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Those are my principles – and if you don’t like them, well, I have

Re: Satellite Dish Bearing

<t3hak2$hma$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32978&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#32978

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 16:09:51 +0100
 by: NY - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 15:09 UTC

"R. Mark Clayton" <notyalckram@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Saturday, 16 April 2022 at 10:44:16 UTC+1, David Woolley wrote:
>> On 16/04/2022 03:43, Brian Gregory wrote:
>> > AFAIK most satellites for satellite TV use both horizontal and vertical
>> > polarization to double the available bandwidth.
>> It's not to fully double the bandwidth. Adjacent frequencies are
>> transmitted with different polarisations, but the same frequency only
>> uses one. I'm not sure if this really allows an overlap, or whether it
>> is to simplify receivers.
>
> Successive transponders use alternate polarisation (H & V)
>
> For the adjacent satellites 3 degrees either side the polarisation is
> reversed (V & H)
>
> This reduces adjacent channel interference on the same satellite and
> co-channel interference on adjacent satellites.

What about the frequencies where there is a service on both H and V. For
example (for Astra 28.x): 11264H and 11264V, 11306H and 11306V, 11344H and
11344V, 11386H and 11386V, 11426H and 11426V. I presume the frequency
figures are nominal and that 11264H and 11264V are actually on slightly
different frequencies, but is it enough to avoid H versus V interference,
when everywhere else in the spectrum there is a gap of at least 10 MHz
between an H and a V.

When a dish is installed, is one the adjustments the rotation of the dish so
H and V on the dish are accurately aligned with the H and V signals (ie
adjust for max H and min V on a known H-polarised frequency).

Re: Satellite Dish Bearing

<t3hlet$1tr$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32979&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#32979

From: dav...@ex.djwhome.demon.invalid (David Woolley)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 19:14:52 +0100
 by: David Woolley - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 18:14 UTC

On 17/04/2022 16:09, NY wrote:
> I presume the frequency figures are nominal and that 11264H and 11264V
> are actually on slightly different frequencies, but is it enough to
> avoid H versus V interference,

The signals are several MHz wide. You can't fit in two multiplexes
without most of them overlapping each other.