Total strangers need love, too; and I'm stranger than most.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanes

SubjectAuthor
* Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanesSimon Mason
+* Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanesSpike
|`* Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanesJNugent
| `- Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanesSpike
+- Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanesJNugent
+* Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanesSimon Mason
|+- Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanesSpike
|`* Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanesSimon Mason
| +- Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanesSpike
| `* Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanesSimon Mason
|  +* Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanesSpike
|  |`* Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanesSpike
|  | `* Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanesSpike
|  |  `- Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanesSpike
|  `- Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanesSimon Mason
+* Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanesSimon Mason
|`- Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanesSimon Mason
`* Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanesSimon Mason
 +- Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanesSpike
 `- Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanesSimon Mason

1
Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanes

<a45a330a-edc9-45ee-af27-934862cf47ban@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33003&group=uk.rec.cycling#33003

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 13:43:02 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanes
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 21:43 UTC

Bus-only sections of road will now be enforced by cameras as a warning period ends.

Fines of up to £70 can now be issued to drivers who enter bus gates in Dene Street, Silksworth, and Brancepeth Road, Washington.

A "grace period" saw the council issue 484 warnings in Silksworth and 261 in Washington.

The warning period ends at 00:01 BST on Monday. The cameras are the first used by Sunderland City Council.

Fines - or penalty charge notices (PCNs) - of £70 can be issued to drivers who drive in bus lanes and through bus gate restrictions.

The PCN is discounted to £35 if paid within 21 days, with drivers able to appeal against notices they disagree with.

The buses-only enforcement cameras are the first to be used by the local authority under national legislation, the council said.

A third camera is due to be installed later this year in Holmeside in Sunderland city centre.

The council said money raised by the fines would be used on highway works, public transport and environmental projects.

The cameras are not designed to catch speeding drivers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-66479233

Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanes

<krktnqF8aj4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33007&group=uk.rec.cycling#33007

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanes
Date: 15 Nov 2023 22:06:50 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 22:06 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> Bus-only sections of road will now be enforced by cameras as a warning period ends.

> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-66479233

Whatever is new about bus lanes being enforced by cameras? It’s old hat.

--
Spike

Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanes

<krl7e8Fa4taU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33013&group=uk.rec.cycling#33013

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 00:52:25 +0000
 by: JNugent - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 00:52 UTC

On 15/11/2023 09:43 pm, Simon Mason wrote:
> Bus-only sections of road will now be enforced by cameras as a warning period ends.
>
> Fines of up to £70 can now be issued to drivers who enter bus gates in Dene Street, Silksworth, and Brancepeth Road, Washington.
>
> A "grace period" saw the council issue 484 warnings in Silksworth and 261 in Washington.
>
> The warning period ends at 00:01 BST on Monday. The cameras are the first used by Sunderland City Council.
>
> Fines - or penalty charge notices (PCNs) - of £70 can be issued to drivers who drive in bus lanes and through bus gate restrictions.
>
> The PCN is discounted to £35 if paid within 21 days, with drivers able to appeal against notices they disagree with.
>
> The buses-only enforcement cameras are the first to be used by the local authority under national legislation, the council said.
>
> A third camera is due to be installed later this year in Holmeside in Sunderland city centre.
>
> The council said money raised by the fines would be used on highway works, public transport and environmental projects.
>
> The cameras are not designed to catch speeding drivers.
>
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-66479233

Who's on the bike?

Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanes

<krl7flFa4taU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33014&group=uk.rec.cycling#33014

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 00:53:10 +0000
 by: JNugent - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 00:53 UTC

On 15/11/2023 10:06 pm, Spike wrote:
> Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Bus-only sections of road will now be enforced by cameras as a warning period ends.
>
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-66479233
>
> Whatever is new about bus lanes being enforced by cameras? It’s old hat.

Oh, in that case, he shouldn't have to repeat it more than another ten
times or so within the next day or two.

Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanes

<52cef345-ca92-4d31-a963-1054e2f8a457n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33020&group=uk.rec.cycling#33020

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 00:04:24 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 08:04 UTC

QUOTE: Fines of up to £70 can now be issued to drivers who enter bus gates in Dene Street, Silksworth, and Brancepeth Road, Washington.ENDS

I prefer these sump busting bollards - much more fun! :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIas-5pwpZk

Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanes

<krm7qfFhj0oU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33027&group=uk.rec.cycling#33027

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 16 Nov 2023 10:05:03 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 10:05 UTC

JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
> On 15/11/2023 10:06 pm, Spike wrote:
>> Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Bus-only sections of road will now be enforced by cameras as a warning period ends.
>>
>>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-66479233
>>
>> Whatever is new about bus lanes being enforced by cameras? It’s old hat.
>
> Oh, in that case, he shouldn't have to repeat it more than another ten
> times or so within the next day or two.

:-)

--
Spike

Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanes

<krm7qfFhj0oU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33030&group=uk.rec.cycling#33030

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 16 Nov 2023 10:05:03 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 10:05 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> QUOTE: Fines of up to £70 can now be issued to drivers who enter bus
> gates in Dene Street, Silksworth, and Brancepeth Road, Washington.ENDS
>
> I prefer these sump busting bollards - much more fun! :-)
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIas-5pwpZk

You still don’t know what constitutes a fine, do you?

--
Spike

Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanes

<6972b51a-9a48-40b2-ab8c-45020abfe5e5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33035&group=uk.rec.cycling#33035

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 03:34:03 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 11:34 UTC

Edinburgh council chiefs plan a massive 66 per cent rise in the fines faced by motorists who drive in the city’s bus lanes.

Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs) for ignoring the bus-only signs will increase from £60 to £100, if the Scottish Government agrees to the move. The fine would be cut to £50 if it was paid within 14 days

The Evening News revealed last month that the city council had raked in more than £2 million from bus lane fines in 2022/23 – a 20 per cent increase on the previous year – with more than 70,000 PCNs handed out to motorists for driving in bus lanes, a significant rise on the record 58,000 issued in 2021/22

Transport and environment convener Scott Arthur said: “Bus lane fine levels are too high in terms of the number which have been issued, so the fine level isn’t a proper deterrent for people who are driving in bus lanes. This has a real impact on our delivery of public transport and when I speak to the bus and tram company they’re always telling me the council has to do more to allow their services to get around the city.

“So we’re going to increase the bus lane fine from £60 to £100. This is about increasing the deterrent factor – so I hope we won’t raise more income because we hope it will be more of a deterrent for people.”

The fine for driving in a bus lane has remained the same, at £60, since the council began enforcing bus lane restrictions in 2012.

The council’s transport and environment committee will be asked to agree the move at its meeting on Thursday, November 16, but it will need to be approved by the Scottish Government before it can be implemented. However, a report by officials says Glasgow City Council has already been given the go-ahead for a similar increase. And parking fines in Edinburgh were increased to £100 in June.

The report says: “Bus lane camera enforcement encourages greater compliance with the bus lane regulations, which can improve public transport reliability and reduce bus journey times, making public transport a more attractive alternative to private car travel.”

Opposition councillors have previously argued motorists often find themselves driving in bus lanes because of change road layouts or poor signage. But Councillor Arthur said: "If anyone knows of a sign that’s not clear they should get in touch and well fix it.

Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanes

<krmil3FksojU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33036&group=uk.rec.cycling#33036

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 16 Nov 2023 13:09:55 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 13:09 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> Edinburgh council chiefs plan a massive 66 per cent rise in the fines
> faced by motorists who drive in the city’s bus lanes.

> Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs) for ignoring the bus-only signs will
> increase from £60 to £100, if the Scottish Government agrees to the move.
> The fine would be cut to £50 if it was paid within 14 days

Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs) are not ‘fines’, despite what Edinburgh City
Council claims.

--
Spike

Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanes

<b9df5d49-bd67-4820-927f-89182feabeacn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33042&group=uk.rec.cycling#33042

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 08:05:26 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 16:05 UTC

BRADFORD Council has raked in nearly £14.5m in bus lane fines in nine years, figures have revealed.

The data, which is published by the local authority, shows £14,423,019..10 was raised between April 2014 and May this year due to motorists driving in prohibited lanes.

Drivers paid out nearly £2.3m in fines between April 2015 and March 2016 – the highest figure in the nine-year period.

Around £820,000 was paid out during the pandemic, but that figure soared back up to more than £1.3m per year as society opened back up and roads became busier.

The figure stands at nearly £460,000 for the first five months of 2023.
Which bus lanes have raised the most money?

The data also shows the biggest cash cows for Bradford Council.

Bolton Road has raised more than £1.6m; Bridge Street, Broadway raked in £1.9m; Church Bank – towards Bolton Road raised almost £1.5m; Church Bank – towards Well Street raised over £1m, as did Nelson Street.

Bus lane fines currently stand at £70 and the longer people wait to pay the charge, the more it will cost.

If people pay within 21 days, the charge is reduced by 50 per cent and after that, the full charge must be paid.

There are then two other stages – a Notice To Owner and a Charge Certificate. Eventually, if payment is not made, the Council may register the charge with the Traffic Enforcement Centre and take legal action.
Could there be an increase in the amount people have to pay?

Drivers have been warned they could soon see an increase in fines for driving in bus lanes as councils begin to crack down on motorists driving illegally.

Motoring experts at Snooper have urged all drivers to brush up on the Highway Code rules surrounding bus lanes to avoid penalty charge notices and hefty fines

It comes after the news that Reading and Hampshire Councils are considering increasing the penalty for drivers using bus lanes to £150.

Even driving in a bus lane for a few seconds by accident could still see motorists issued with a fine from their local Council.

All bus lanes in the UK have blue signs to show their times of operation, during which only buses can use the lanes.

If there are no times or dates displayed on the sign, drivers must be aware that the bus lane is in operation 24/7 and cannot be used at any time.

Motorists have been warned to keep an eye out for any bus lane signage signalling when other vehicles may use that lane, else they could be subject to penalty fines.

Gary Digva, from Snooper, cautioned drivers to avoid bus lanes.

He said that too many motorists are abusing bus lanes to undertake others and avoid queuing, which is why Councils are considering increasing the fine for unauthorised vehicles using them.

Mr Digva said: “It’s understandable why Councils are considering increasing the fines for those driving in bus lanes outside of authorised hours.

“Not only does it go against the Highway Code, but serious incidents can occur, all for just shaving off a couple of minutes to avoid sitting in queuing traffic.

“It’s frustrating to see an open lane to the left of you completely free of any buses or other vehicles whilst you have to wait - but bus lanes are there for a reason. Not only to prioritise bus schedules but to also allow emergency services to travel through quickly.

“With the news that the fine for driving through bus lanes could be increased across the country, drivers do need to remain aware of the rules for when they can and can’t do so.

“Always watch out for a blue sign along the lane telling you the authorised days and hours when cars are able to use the bus lane. Remember that if there are no times displayed on the sign then the bus lane is operational at all hours.

“And if you’re still not sure it’s advisable to stay outside the bus lane until you can fully confirm the authorised times - even if you see others doing so.”
People are 'paying more attention' to cameras

Bradford Council said its figures show a general reduction in bus lane penalty charge notices and this “shows that most drivers across the district are paying more attention to bus lane restrictions, as well as being more attentive of cameras”.

A spokesperson said: “The income from Penalty Charge Notices pays the cost of enforcement. This includes the administration staff involved in collecting the fines, maintenance of signs and lines and other associated costs.

“Any surplus remaining after deduction of costs has to go towards measures to improve public transport or other highways associated improvements.”

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/23549605.14-5m-raked-bradford-council-bus-lane-fines/

Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanes

<krmv8pFnt5gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33050&group=uk.rec.cycling#33050

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 16 Nov 2023 16:45:13 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 16:45 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> BRADFORD Council has raked in nearly £14.5m in bus lane fines in nine
> years, figures have revealed.

Bradford Council seem to be as dim as Edinburgh City Council.

Keep ‘em coming!

> https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/23549605.14-5m-raked-bradford-council-bus-lane-fines/

--
Spike

Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanes

<5e4fdadb-f4e2-4a29-9b79-17b820813a09n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33056&group=uk.rec.cycling#33056

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 10:06:54 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 18:06 UTC

A MOTORIST believes "invisible" road markings in Colchester are helping a notorious bus lane generate double the amount of money it did before the pandemic.

The driver, who does not live in the area and wished to remain anonymous, was fined £35 when he drove through the North Station Road bus lane when visiting his son, who now lives in the city.

He and his wife had made the short journey from the Premier Inn in Cowdray Avenue at 9.30pm, traveling south through road.

“I was shocked to receive a penalty for entering the bus lane," he said.

“The road markings on the roundabout entering North Station Road were so badly worn they were invisible.

“Without proper road markings directing motorists away from the bus lane, the only time you see the signs is when you are just about to enter the bus lane and by then it is too late.

“This seems to me to be a very disingenuous road and road marking layout made by Essex County Council.

“The council has worked hard to fleece money out of law-abiding, hardworking motorists by this road setup and I hope they use the £35 wisely.”

The resident later sent an FOI request to the council to find out how much money has been generated in fines from the bus lane.

It showed from July 2021 to June 2022, the bus lane made £289,057, whereas from July 2022 to June 2023 it made £446,227. An increase of 54 per cent.

In the last full year before the Covid-19 pandemic, from June 2018 to June 2019, the bus lane made £233,316.01. An increase of 91 per cent compared to last year.

The motorist added: “The FOI data will be distorted by reduced traffic volumes during the Covid lockdowns so these years can be viewed in many ways.

“However, assuming similar traffic volumes pre and post-Covid, this shows an almost doubling in fines.

“I can only assume this is due to the poorly maintained road markings gradually disappearing.

“The current layout and signage are a trap for motorists.

“It generates nearly half a million pounds a year for Essex County Council which has no intention of improving it.”
Essex County Council Responds

A spokesman for Essex County Council said: "Bus gates are necessary to improve the journeys and travel time of buses, encouraging the people of Essex to use this important transport which, by taking cars off the road, improves air quality and the environment, key aims of ECC’s Safer, Greener, Healthier campaign.

“Significant work has taken place to increase signage at all junctions leading to bus gates in Essex.

“For the council, bus gates are about compliance rather than income and success would be to issue no fines at all, because then people were not contravening the restrictions but instead being more thoughtful about their journeys and the routes they take.

“All money generated by PCNs is ring-fenced and reinvested to help improve public transport, roads and the transport network across Essex.”

Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanes

<krn5smFpab9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33063&group=uk.rec.cycling#33063

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 16 Nov 2023 18:38:14 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 18:38 UTC

Spike <aero.spike@btinternet.invalid> wrote:
> Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

>> BRADFORD Council has raked in nearly £14.5m in bus lane fines in nine
>> years, figures have revealed.

> Bradford Council seem to be as dim as Edinburgh City Council.

Add Essex County Council to the list!

> Keep ‘em coming!

>> https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/23549605.14-5m-raked-bradford-council-bus-lane-fines/

--
Spike

Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanes

<b43c49a4-03bd-4972-bb47-d55d70578993n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33064&group=uk.rec.cycling#33064

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 12:02:51 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 20:02 UTC

A controversial bus gate in Brighton was responsible for more than a third of bus lane fines issued in the UK last year.

Some 38,514 penalty charge notices (PCNs) were given to motorists who drove in the York Place bus gate last year, equivalent to 39 per cent of all PCNs issued in the entire country.

More fines were given out to drivers in York Place than any other at an average of 106 penalties per day.

But Brighton and Hove City Council has hit back, saying a high number of PCNs is expected when a bus gate is newly opened.

“CCTV enforcement of the bus gates at York Place was only introduced in 2021,” said transport and sustainability committee chairman Councillor Trevor Muten.

“Experience nationally shows that new CCTV enforcement takes a year or two to settle down after an initial spike.

“During 2022 we reviewed the signage for these gates which found it was compliant with national guidance.

“But we nonetheless added extra signage to give drivers more advanced warning.”

If each of the York Place fines were paid at the full £70 rather than the discounted rate of £35 for early payment, drivers would have forked out £2,695,980 in that one street alone.

Actual revenue generated by the York Place bus gate last year was £1,528,849, though only £1,174,333 of that has so far been paid.

The figures were uncovered by finance company Forbes Advisor, whose spokesman Kevin Pratt said bus lane penalties leave drivers with a bitter taste.

“No one likes receiving a fine, especially when it’s for as simple an error as using a bus lane,” said Mr Pratt.

“But the key message to drivers here is that if you’re ever tempted to use a bus lane or gate to shorten a journey, or if you’re unsure if you’re allowed to use one, steer clear.

“It’s highly unlikely you’ll save anything more than just a couple of minutes and a £70 fine is always going to sting.”

But the council said things are looking good for drivers in York Place, with just 16,041 PCNs issued in the first half of 2023.

It said this is a decrease of 25 per cent compared with the first six months of last year but if York Place fines continues at their current rate, some 32,082 would be issued.

This is a decrease of just 17 per cent.

The council disputes the figures from York Place, saying 38,363 fines were given in the street last year but told Forbes Advisor the figure was 38,514 when the outlet received a response to its freedom of information request on January 30.

The Argus asked the reason for the difference in figures but an explanation was not given.

A total of £2,873,591 in bus lane PCNs were issued across all of Brighton and Hove last year, putting the city second nationally only to Bristol.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/23657128.one-street-brighton-responsible-third-uk-bus-lane-fines/

Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanes

<krnhf5Frjk7U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33078&group=uk.rec.cycling#33078

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 16 Nov 2023 21:55:49 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 21:55 UTC

Spike <aero.spike@btinternet.invalid> wrote:
> Spike <aero.spike@btinternet.invalid> wrote:
>> Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> BRADFORD Council has raked in nearly £14.5m in bus lane fines in nine
>>> years, figures have revealed.

>> Bradford Council seem to be as dim as Edinburgh City Council.

> Add Essex County Council to the list!

And Brighton and Hove City Council!

>> Keep ‘em coming!
>
>>> https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/23549605.14-5m-raked-bradford-council-bus-lane-fines/

--
Spike

Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanes

<73d93d23-e91d-4839-beff-56949d8ac24dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33082&group=uk.rec.cycling#33082

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 23:58:55 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 07:58 UTC

May 2022 recorded the highest number of penalty charge notices issued with 7,689 - which is the equivalent of £223,324.

In terms of the bus lane which has been responsible for the most fines, the Western Approach Road camera dished out 8406 between 2022/23, which equates to £261,898.

As stated on the Edinburgh Council website, peak time bus lanes typically operate from 7.30am to 9.30am and 4pm to 6.30pm Monday to Friday. During these times, public service vehicles, taxis, motorcycles, bicycles and emergency service vehicles can use them, but general motorists can not.

Any vehicle may use bus lanes outside the peak times during the week and at all times at weekends and signs are present at the start of each bus lane showing the restrictions and times of operation.

After being approached by Edinburgh Live, Scott Arthur, Transport and Environment Convener, confirmed that the money gained through penalty charges are reinvested into roads and transport infrastructure in Edinburgh.

He also said bus lanes and bus gates are necessary to keep traffic moving and residents safe.

The bus lane which recorded the second highest number of fines, and therefore the second highest amount of money, was Liberton Road with 4899 notices and £154,938.

Third on the list was Telford Road with 4965 notices and £153,119. The bus lane at the bottom of the table which issued the lowest number of fines and raked in the least amount of money was Commercial Street in Leith with just 604 notices and £19,140.

Jack Cousens, head of road policy for the AA, said that while the majority of bus lane infringements are an honest mistake, the council are "happy to keep the cash flowing" rather than look at ways to reduce fines.

He also suggested that the council should explore ways to make the bus lanes on Western Approach Road and Little France Drive more visible as drivers will consider them an "unfair trap.

Jack Cousens, head of roads policy for the AA, said; “In the vast majority of cases, bus lane infringements are an honest mistake. However, with budgets stretched, councils are happy to keep the cash flowing in rather than look to understand why the fines are being issued.

“With almost 200 bus lane penalties issued each day, Edinburgh Council could issue a warning to first time offenders so that drivers are educated before being punished.

“The bus lanes on West Approach Road and Little France Drive outperform all other bus lane cameras, so we would urge the traffic management team to investigate why so may are issued here. If the signage is confusing, hard to spot, or there isn’t adequate warning provided then drivers will just consider them an unfair trap.”

Councillor Scott Arthur, Transport and Environment Convener, said: “As Scotland’s Capital we must have the measures in place to keep the city moving and residents safe, and enforcement is central to this. Penalty notices are issued to drivers breaking the law, as is the case in any other town or city.

“Misuse of bus lanes by drivers increases bus journey times, disadvantaging the thousands of people who want to choose safe, reliable and punctual bus services. Bus lanes help protect the safety of the many cyclists and motorcyclists who use bus lanes every day too.

“Bus lanes and gates in Edinburgh are clearly signed and marked on the road, so I would expect drivers to heed this, as with any other road sign. Anyone who receives a fine will have this reduced to £30 if they pay within 14 days of receiving it.

“All of the income accrued from bus lane fines is invested back into our roads and transport infrastructure, including public travel improvements, giving residents, commuters and visitors more choice when deciding whether or not to drive their car in Edinburgh.”

Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanes

<kromimF5fl9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33086&group=uk.rec.cycling#33086

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 17 Nov 2023 08:29:10 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 08:29 UTC

Spike <aero.spike@btinternet.invalid> wrote:
> Spike <aero.spike@btinternet.invalid> wrote:
>> Spike <aero.spike@btinternet.invalid> wrote:

>>> Bradford Council seem to be as dim as Edinburgh City Council.

>> Add Essex County Council to the list!

> And Brighton and Hove City Council!

And Glasgow City Council!

>>> Keep ‘em coming!

--
Spike

Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanes

<515c48c1-c42c-42eb-9d35-d4f52494ba32n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33094&group=uk.rec.cycling#33094

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 03:34:22 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 11:34 UTC

Motorists are being advised that a new bus lane camera will be activated on Academy Way in May.
Friday, 28 April 2023

The purpose of enforcement of bus lanes is to deter unauthorised vehicles, increase bus punctuality, reduce congestion and improve air quality.

Signs are already up, notifying people of the new enforcement measures, which aim to deter any unauthorised use of the bus lane.

Only buses, taxis, cycles and emergency services vehicles can use the bus lane. The new automatic number plate recognition cameras will capture the registration plate details of all vehicles driving illegally along the bus lane. Owners of these vehicles could receive a Penalty Charge Notice of £70 reduced to £35 if paid within the first 21 days.

The cameras will be activated at the beginning of May and warning notices will be issued for a short period of time. Later in May, the cameras will be fully operational and at this point, drivers engaging in unauthorised use of the bus lane will be issued a Penalty Charge Notice.

The installation of bus lane cameras is part of the council’s ongoing work to promote sustainable transport. Bus lanes aim to help provide a more reliable bus service and increase passenger numbers by enabling buses to have a more reliable journey along some of Warrington’s most congested roads.

Notes to editors

How does the penalty system work?

A Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) of £70 will be generated and sent in the post in accordance with DfT guidelines. In order to encourage prompt payment, penalties paid within 21 days will be subject to 50% discount i.e. £35. Any ticket served and not paid before the end of the ‘relevant period’ (i.e. 28 days) will be subject to an extra charge of 50% (£105).

Is there an appeals process?

Yes. Warrington Borough Council is a member of the Bus Lane Adjudication Service Joint Committee (BLASJC), whose Traffic Penalty Tribunal acts as an independent appeals body. You can find out how to challenge a ticket at warrington.gov.uk/bus-lanes-and-fines

Are there certain days when bus lanes are not in use?

All bus lanes in Warrington are signposted to highlight restrictions. If bus lanes have restricted hours they will specify these, if they do not specify hours or days when restrictions are effective, they will be enforceable at all times.

Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanes

<krp4a3F8q3pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33102&group=uk.rec.cycling#33102

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 17 Nov 2023 12:23:31 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 12:23 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> Motorists are being advised that a new bus lane camera will be activated
> on Academy Way in May.
> Friday, 28 April 2023

So, where is Academy Way, and how has the new bus-lane camera been working
out in the first six months of operation?

--
Spike

Re: Drivers to face fines for driving in bus lanes

<fa890bda-c67b-44fb-93ac-f80e256eaa0cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33104&group=uk.rec.cycling#33104

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 06:00:33 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 14:00 UTC

A man has hit out after receiving a bus lane fine branded a council cash cow. Ian Smith, 74, from Swadlincote, was taking his wife Pauline, 75, to hospital on 19 May when he was caught out by council cameras.

He says he was unable to park in the hospital car park, and was trying to find a space on the road nearby - and inadvertently strayed into a section of road for buses and cycles. Mr Smith claims there is no signage for motorists heading from the hospital along Lower Outwards Road, in Burton, and has pledged to fight the fine.

He said: “They’re claiming it’s a bus lane, but there are no bus lane markings anywhere up the road and as you come up the hill you can’t see any signs because they’re obscured by parked cars and bushes. They’re calling it a bus lane, but you could hardly get a bus up there. I don’t believe it’s an active bus lane anyway.

“Locals are saying it’s just a cash cow. Apparently nearly 40 people have been sent fines of £70 but if you pay it within three weeks it’s £35, but I’m prepared to fight this one.”

He said he has disputed the fine with Staffordshire County Council but has yet to hear back from them. Mr Smith said: “We’ve written to the council and had no reply, so I think what’s going to happen is they’ll leave it and leave it until the three weeks is up.”

He has since returned to the area, and said there appears to be suitable signage for motorists heading in the opposite direction - from Reservoir Road, turning right at the roundabout. He said there are some signs for motorists heading from the hospital, as he was, but these are unclear and not easily visible.

It’s understood the scheme only became operational a few weeks ago. The council says it uses bus lanes help cut congestion, and they claim there is signage to warn motorists not to enter bus lanes as they approach them.

Councillor Robert Pritchard, cabinet support member for highways and transport, said: “One of our key priorities is to ensure that public transport and buses are able to operate efficiently in and around Burton town centre.

“Keeping bus lanes free of other traffic is key to this and not only helps buses get around the town easier and quicker but also helps to improve road safety and cut congestion.

“Signs in advance of reaching the bus gate, which are in line with national standards are in place to advise motorists of the presence of the bus gate and enforcement camera.

“Anyone issued with a fine for being in a bus lane has the right to appeal against the decision and we do advise people to appeal if they feel a fine has been given unfairly. These appeals are then heard by The Traffic Penalty Tribunal, which is chaired by an independent adjudicator.”