Maslow's Maxim: If the only tool you have is a hammer, you treat everything like a nail.

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: Netflix tightening up on multi use

SubjectAuthor
* Netflix tightening up on multi useBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
`* Re: Netflix tightening up on multi useTweed
 +* Re: Netflix tightening up on multi useChris J Dixon
 |+* Re: Netflix tightening up on multi usePamela
 ||`* Re: Netflix tightening up on multi useMartin
 || `* Re: Netflix tightening up on multi useJNugent
 ||  +* Re: Netflix tightening up on multi useRoderick Stewart
 ||  |+* Re: Netflix tightening up on multi usePamela
 ||  ||+- Re: Netflix tightening up on multi useAngus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd
 ||  ||+* Re: Netflix tightening up on multi useWoody
 ||  |||`* Re: Netflix tightening up on multi useRoderick Stewart
 ||  ||| `* Re: Netflix tightening up on multi useMax Demian
 ||  |||  `- Re: Netflix tightening up on multi useMB
 ||  ||`* Re: Netflix tightening up on multi useRoderick Stewart
 ||  || `* Re: Netflix tightening up on multi useMax Demian
 ||  ||  `* Re: Netflix tightening up on multi useIndy Jess John
 ||  ||   `* Re: Netflix tightening up on multi useJeff Gaines
 ||  ||    `- Re: Netflix tightening up on multi usealan_m
 ||  |`* Re: Netflix tightening up on multi useMartin
 ||  | +* Re: Netflix tightening up on multi useTweed
 ||  | |`* Re: Netflix tightening up on multi useJim Lesurf
 ||  | | `- Re: Netflix tightening up on multi useMartin
 ||  | `* Re: Netflix tightening up on multi usewilliamwright
 ||  |  `* Re: Netflix tightening up on multi useWoody
 ||  |   `* Re: Netflix tightening up on multi usewilliamwright
 ||  |    `* Re: Netflix tightening up on multi usePaul Ratcliffe
 ||  |     `- Re: Netflix tightening up on multi usewilliamwright
 ||  `- Re: Netflix tightening up on multi useMartin
 |`- Re: Netflix tightening up on multi useBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
 `- Re: Netflix tightening up on multi useBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)

Pages:12
Netflix tightening up on multi use

<t482t2$c00$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33038&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33038

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Netflix tightening up on multi use
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 07:19:12 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 06:19 UTC

I heard on an internet radio channel yesterday, that whereas in the past
they were cool about shared accounts with family members, they will be
charging for outside of the home users on a given account. Not a full
subscription but between3 and four dollars whatever that is in pounds.
There also seem to be high level talks going on between Virgin/o2 and Sky
who already offer Netflix as part of their subs. Could we be seeing a mega
company giving sat, and online and cable delivered TV soon with mobile
thrown in?

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Re: Netflix tightening up on multi use

<t483nu$gui$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33039&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33039

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Netflix tightening up on multi use
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 06:33:34 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:43N75Ny17pj3htuddMu1ru60t8w=
 by: Tweed - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 06:33 UTC

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> I heard on an internet radio channel yesterday, that whereas in the past
> they were cool about shared accounts with family members, they will be
> charging for outside of the home users on a given account. Not a full
> subscription but between3 and four dollars whatever that is in pounds.
> There also seem to be high level talks going on between Virgin/o2 and Sky
> who already offer Netflix as part of their subs. Could we be seeing a mega
> company giving sat, and online and cable delivered TV soon with mobile
> thrown in?
>

> Brian

Fragmentation is the real issue. There’s now half a dozen streaming
platforms, each wanting a subscription. There’s only so many decent
programmes made each year, and with these split across the platforms it’s
getting increasingly difficult to justify subscribing to any of them for
the fees wanted.

Re: Netflix tightening up on multi use

<fl5f6ht9m6ec7jfmn1lbqv1djde3qqf4lp@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33040&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33040

From: chr...@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 07:55:32 +0100
 by: Chris J Dixon - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 06:55 UTC

Tweed wrote:

>Fragmentation is the real issue. There’s now half a dozen streaming
>platforms, each wanting a subscription. There’s only so many decent
>programmes made each year, and with these split across the platforms it’s
>getting increasingly difficult to justify subscribing to any of them for
>the fees wanted.

Indeed! For this household Freeview already provides more
programmes than we have time to watch, and the PVR rarely sees
more than 2% free.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Re: Netflix tightening up on multi use

<XnsAE8593F94AC3B37B93@144.76.35.252>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33045&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33045

From: pamela.p...@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 14:32:47 +0100
 by: Pamela - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 13:32 UTC

On 07:55 26 Apr 2022, Chris J Dixon said:

> Tweed wrote:
>>
>>Fragmentation is the real issue. There�s now half a dozen streaming
>>platforms, each wanting a subscription. There�s only so many decent
>>programmes made each year, and with these split across the platforms
>>it�s getting increasingly difficult to justify subscribing to any of
>>them for the fees wanted.
>
> Indeed! For this household Freeview already provides more programmes
> than we have time to watch, and the PVR rarely sees more than 2%
> free.
>
> Chris

I am not much of a Freeview viewer as I watch mostly streaming tv.
However Recently I refreshed the Freeview stations to get TalkTV. A lot
of new channels appeared but, from their description or name, not a
single one seemed worth watching.

It was almost wall-to-wall dross. In my opinion, this dross wasn't just a
waste of time but also left you mind numbed and perhaps even "mind bent".

The main five channels are available on streaming apps away from Freeview
although frankly only BBC iplayer is worth watching and that's only when
their heavy-handed "diversity" programming isn't showing.

Bah humbug.

I keep Netflix because it releases a large amount of new content,
although much of it seems sensationalist rubbishy movies aimed at the more
juvenile members of the 18 to 30 year-old market. Netflix also has too
many lifestyle; reality tv; pseudo documentaries and such like. However
it does have the occasional gem.

Re: Netflix tightening up on multi use

<t4aq95$3df$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33046&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33046

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 08:10:26 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 07:10 UTC

Yes I get that, but we have been here before, Virgin for a time lost all of
sky due to each not bending a bit, now it seems all of the channels want to
be independent and now there are more than ever. I think a couple of months
back I looked at several including prime, Netflix, Disney and Apple and of
the lot, to my mind Apple seem to have more stuff I'd like but still I will
not subscribe to something which I may well get in a few years time for
nothing. I know its a bit mercenary to say that as productions cost money to
make, but I think until we can just have one fee to watch all telly, people
will weigh it all up and think, stuff that I'll just do something else like
talk to real people grin.

"Tweed" <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>> I heard on an internet radio channel yesterday, that whereas in the past
>> they were cool about shared accounts with family members, they will be
>> charging for outside of the home users on a given account. Not a full
>> subscription but between3 and four dollars whatever that is in pounds.
>> There also seem to be high level talks going on between Virgin/o2 and
>> Sky
>> who already offer Netflix as part of their subs. Could we be seeing a
>> mega
>> company giving sat, and online and cable delivered TV soon with mobile
>> thrown in?
>>

>> Brian
>>

> Fragmentation is the real issue. There's now half a dozen streaming
> platforms, each wanting a subscription. There's only so many decent
> programmes made each year, and with these split across the platforms it's
> getting increasingly difficult to justify subscribing to any of them for
> the fees wanted.

Re: Netflix tightening up on multi use

<t4aqqo$6l5$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33047&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33047

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 08:19:49 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 07:19 UTC

I don't even bother to time shift as if you miss it on 5 it will come around
on one of the other channels later. There are too many rubbish channels.
Most of them have a very short repeat cycle, like W. You really only need to
watch it one week in 5 to see everything as they get regurgitated all the
time.
There are some programmes you often have to view for a few minutes as you
cannot understand why anyone made them in the first place.
Say yes to the Dress is one of those. I noticed the other day that even the
adult channels are now using red button tech to move you to their internet
feeds, though as you might imagine that would be lost on me.

News? There is far too much news, and they are all biased from what I can
tell, for obvious cultural reasons or just for shock value.
Besides the world is depressing enough before the gloom and doom merchants
start on it.

I was looking through the free internet stations on Samsung, and some of
the films are quite good, its a pity they do not do audio description. They
also have channels just pupating out whole series of one show, like Myth
Busters, or the FBI files, entertaining, but eventually you have seen them
all.

"Chris J Dixon" <chris@cdixon.me.uk> wrote in message
> Tweed wrote:
>
>>Fragmentation is the real issue. There's now half a dozen streaming
>>platforms, each wanting a subscription. There's only so many decent
>>programmes made each year, and with these split across the platforms it's
>>getting increasingly difficult to justify subscribing to any of them for
>>the fees wanted.
>
> Indeed! For this household Freeview already provides more
> programmes than we have time to watch, and the PVR rarely sees
> more than 2% free.
>
> Chris
> --
> Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
> chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
>
> Plant amazing Acers.

Re: Netflix tightening up on multi use

<ph1i6hhaek36pdkrvr99d0nhqd8ihl5v5b@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33049&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33049

From: me...@address.invalid (Martin)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 11:08:59 +0200
 by: Martin - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 09:08 UTC

On Tue, 26 Apr 2022 14:32:47 +0100, Pamela <pamela.private.mailbox@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 07:55 26 Apr 2022, Chris J Dixon said:
>
>> Tweed wrote:
>>>
>>>Fragmentation is the real issue. There’s now half a dozen streaming
>>>platforms, each wanting a subscription. There’s only so many decent
>>>programmes made each year, and with these split across the platforms
>>>it’s getting increasingly difficult to justify subscribing to any of
>>>them for the fees wanted.
>>
>> Indeed! For this household Freeview already provides more programmes
>> than we have time to watch, and the PVR rarely sees more than 2%
>> free.
>>
>> Chris
>
>I am not much of a Freeview viewer as I watch mostly streaming tv.
>However Recently I refreshed the Freeview stations to get TalkTV. A lot
>of new channels appeared but, from their description or name, not a
>single one seemed worth watching.
>
>It was almost wall-to-wall dross. In my opinion, this dross wasn't just a
>waste of time but also left you mind numbed and perhaps even "mind bent".
>
>The main five channels are available on streaming apps away from Freeview
>although frankly only BBC iplayer is worth watching and that's only when
>their heavy-handed "diversity" programming isn't showing.
>
>Bah humbug.
>
>I keep Netflix because it releases a large amount of new content,
>although much of it seems sensationalist rubbishy movies aimed at the more
>juvenile members of the 18 to 30 year-old market. Netflix also has too
>many lifestyle; reality tv; pseudo documentaries and such like. However
>it does have the occasional gem.

I agree with you. We occasionally used my son's UK account until fairly recently
as well as our own Dutch account, because there was more films on the UK version
of Netflix than on the Dutch version. Also for some reason in NL, UK subtitles
were missing in the Dutch version. They seem to be the same now and I think the
two versions show the same English language films. We don't watch a lot of
Netflix, but it is worth paying for the gems. My wife has poor hearing and is
Belgian so she needs the UK subtitles.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Re: Netflix tightening up on multi use

<jct9mqFbov0U2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33052&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33052

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 17:35:38 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 16:35 UTC

On 27/04/2022 10:08 am, Martin wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Apr 2022 14:32:47 +0100, Pamela <pamela.private.mailbox@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>>> Indeed! For this household Freeview already provides more programmes
>>> than we have time to watch, and the PVR rarely sees more than 2%
>>> free.
>>>
>>> Chris
>>
>> I am not much of a Freeview viewer as I watch mostly streaming tv.
>> However Recently I refreshed the Freeview stations to get TalkTV. A lot
>> of new channels appeared but, from their description or name, not a
>> single one seemed worth watching.
>>
>> It was almost wall-to-wall dross. In my opinion, this dross wasn't just a
>> waste of time but also left you mind numbed and perhaps even "mind bent".
>>
>> The main five channels are available on streaming apps away from Freeview
>> although frankly only BBC iplayer is worth watching and that's only when
>> their heavy-handed "diversity" programming isn't showing.
>>
>> Bah humbug.
>>
>> I keep Netflix because it releases a large amount of new content,
>> although much of it seems sensationalist rubbishy movies aimed at the more
>> juvenile members of the 18 to 30 year-old market. Netflix also has too
>> many lifestyle; reality tv; pseudo documentaries and such like. However
>> it does have the occasional gem.
>
> I agree with you. We occasionally used my son's UK account until fairly recently
> as well as our own Dutch account, because there was more films on the UK version
> of Netflix than on the Dutch version. Also for some reason in NL, UK subtitles
> were missing in the Dutch version. They seem to be the same now and I think the
> two versions show the same English language films. We don't watch a lot of
> Netflix, but it is worth paying for the gems. My wife has poor hearing and is
> Belgian so she needs the UK subtitles.

We have discovered the value of using subtitles just in order to know
what the actors are mumbling about at a volume of about one-third of the
incidental music.

Re: Netflix tightening up on multi use

<233j6h9v40mpeucvdn5fr9qrlpqkpuvdo7@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33053&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33053

From: rjf...@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 19:41:09 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 18:41 UTC

On Wed, 27 Apr 2022 17:35:38 +0100, JNugent <jennings&co@fastmail.fm>
wrote:

>We have discovered the value of using subtitles just in order to know
>what the actors are mumbling about at a volume of about one-third of the
>incidental music.

Same here, and I know it's not my hearing, because with some movies or
TV dramas I can hear every word, and with others it's almost
impossible. Usually it's the older productions where the dialogue is
clearer, and the recent stuff that's hard to follow. Draw your own
inferences from that.

Sometimes it's actors mumbling, and sometimes it's the dynamic range
of a movie that is is so huge that if I keep the volume low enough so
as not to be deafened by the FX sounds, the dialogue is almost
inaudible, however clearly spoken it might be. I think a lot of films
are still being mixed to keep people awake in cinemas, rather than to
entertain them in living rooms.

Rod.

Re: Netflix tightening up on multi use

<XnsAE886F0BE71737B93@144.76.35.252>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33054&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33054

From: pamela.p...@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 10:54:58 +0100
 by: Pamela - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 09:54 UTC

On 19:41 27 Apr 2022, Roderick Stewart said:

> On Wed, 27 Apr 2022 17:35:38 +0100, JNugent <jennings&co@fastmail.fm>
> wrote:
>
>>We have discovered the value of using subtitles just in order to know
>>what the actors are mumbling about at a volume of about one-third of
>>the incidental music.
>
> Same here, and I know it's not my hearing, because with some movies
> or TV dramas I can hear every word, and with others it's almost
> impossible. Usually it's the older productions where the dialogue is
> clearer, and the recent stuff that's hard to follow. Draw your own
> inferences from that.
>
> Sometimes it's actors mumbling, and sometimes it's the dynamic range
> of a movie that is is so huge that if I keep the volume low enough so
> as not to be deafened by the FX sounds, the dialogue is almost
> inaudible, however clearly spoken it might be. I think a lot of films
> are still being mixed to keep people awake in cinemas, rather than to
> entertain them in living rooms.
>
> Rod.

I enjoy seeing the difference between translations when a foreign
language film is dubbed and also has subtitles. I almost find it
instructive!

On a different note I wish far more foreign films were dubbed into
English, rather than having to rely on subtitles which take your eye away
from the action.

Re: Netflix tightening up on multi use

<memo.20220429122201.7792A@magsys.adsl.magsys.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33055&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33055

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
From: ang...@magsys.co.uk (Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd)
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 12:22 +0100 (BST)
 by: Angus Robertson - Ma - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 11:22 UTC

> On a different note I wish far more foreign films were dubbed
> into English, rather than having to rely on subtitles which take
> your eye away from the action.

Netflix is good in giving a choice between dubbed or original language for many
series like Lupin and Money Heist, I've tried watching the originals with
subtitles but dubbed is so much easier to enjoy.

Mind, one character in those two series sounds the same in English, perhaps the
same voice over artist.

Angus

Re: Netflix tightening up on multi use

<t4gj1s$rjo$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33056&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33056

From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 12:43:55 +0100
 by: Woody - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 11:43 UTC

On Fri 29/04/2022 10:54, Pamela wrote:
> On 19:41 27 Apr 2022, Roderick Stewart said:
>
>> On Wed, 27 Apr 2022 17:35:38 +0100, JNugent <jennings&co@fastmail.fm>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> We have discovered the value of using subtitles just in order to know
>>> what the actors are mumbling about at a volume of about one-third of
>>> the incidental music.
>>
>> Same here, and I know it's not my hearing, because with some movies
>> or TV dramas I can hear every word, and with others it's almost
>> impossible. Usually it's the older productions where the dialogue is
>> clearer, and the recent stuff that's hard to follow. Draw your own
>> inferences from that.
>>
>> Sometimes it's actors mumbling, and sometimes it's the dynamic range
>> of a movie that is is so huge that if I keep the volume low enough so
>> as not to be deafened by the FX sounds, the dialogue is almost
>> inaudible, however clearly spoken it might be. I think a lot of films
>> are still being mixed to keep people awake in cinemas, rather than to
>> entertain them in living rooms.
>>
>> Rod.
>
> I enjoy seeing the difference between translations when a foreign
> language film is dubbed and also has subtitles. I almost find it
> instructive!
>
> On a different note I wish far more foreign films were dubbed into
> English, rather than having to rely on subtitles which take your eye away
> from the action.

Try watching TV in Germany. Not only do they overdub everything that is
not in German, but they also change voice tones. For example a deep and
gruff voice is either the boss or the head baddie - which when you know
the film in English and you know the actor's voice it makes a farce of it.
The strange thing is that some channels will show a film or prog in
English with the original soundtrack in English, and then caption only
parts of it in German.

Re: Netflix tightening up on multi use

<ifeo6h1602l8amik6dlb6nd0d1038kt2sr@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33057&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33057

From: rjf...@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 20:24:33 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 19:24 UTC

On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 10:54:58 +0100, Pamela
<pamela.private.mailbox@gmail.com> wrote:

>On a different note I wish far more foreign films were dubbed into
>English, rather than having to rely on subtitles which take your eye away
>from the action.

I hope we can disagree like grownups on this one. I'd far rather hear
the original performance by the original actors, than somebody else
trying to duplicate it in a dubbing theatre, even if I don't
understand the language and have to read subtitles. The emotional
intensity is never the same, sometimes the voices are a poor match for
the original actors, and if the dialogue wasn't available on a
separate track, some of the original FX or background sound can be
missing or clumsily recreated too. If it's really bad it can be like
watching a different film.

Rod.

Re: Netflix tightening up on multi use

<gteo6hpjphnaipf8dnlubml4n05ee5bmlm@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33058&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33058

From: rjf...@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 20:39:52 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 19:39 UTC

On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 12:43:55 +0100, Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>On Fri 29/04/2022 10:54, Pamela wrote:
>> On 19:41 27 Apr 2022, Roderick Stewart said:

>>> Same here, and I know it's not my hearing, because with some movies
>>> or TV dramas I can hear every word, and with others it's almost
>>> impossible. Usually it's the older productions where the dialogue is
>>> clearer, and the recent stuff that's hard to follow. Draw your own
>>> inferences from that.
>>>
>>> Sometimes it's actors mumbling, and sometimes it's the dynamic range
>>> of a movie that is is so huge that if I keep the volume low enough so
>>> as not to be deafened by the FX sounds, the dialogue is almost
>>> inaudible, however clearly spoken it might be. I think a lot of films
>>> are still being mixed to keep people awake in cinemas, rather than to
>>> entertain them in living rooms.
>>>
>>> Rod.
>>
>> I enjoy seeing the difference between translations when a foreign
>> language film is dubbed and also has subtitles. I almost find it
>> instructive!
>>
>> On a different note I wish far more foreign films were dubbed into
>> English, rather than having to rely on subtitles which take your eye away
>> from the action.
>
>Try watching TV in Germany. Not only do they overdub everything that is
>not in German, but they also change voice tones. For example a deep and
>gruff voice is either the boss or the head baddie - which when you know
>the film in English and you know the actor's voice it makes a farce of it.
>The strange thing is that some channels will show a film or prog in
>English with the original soundtrack in English, and then caption only
>parts of it in German.

One of the oddest things I've seen is the recent spate of Welsh BBC
dramas (Hinterland, and the other one whatever it's called) where some
of the scenes are in English and some in Welsh. I have no problem
watching Welsh with English subtitles, Welsh has a lovely sound to it,
but the choice of language for each scene seems completely random, and
I can't help wondering if this is really the way they behave in Wales.

I'd have thought that a bilingual person starting a conversation with
someone whose linguistic preference they did not know (e.g. a police
officer making enquiries) would start the conversation in English, and
then only change to Welsh if it became clear that the other person was
having difficulties, but in these TV dramas they just start each scene
in one language or the other as if it was pre-planned which one they
were going to use. Does this seem odd to anyone else?

Rod.

Re: Netflix tightening up on multi use

<aaedneXKeu_IjvD_nZ2dnUU7-XnNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33059&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33059

Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:45:42 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
 by: Max Demian - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 10:45 UTC

On 29/04/2022 20:39, Roderick Stewart wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 12:43:55 +0100, Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com>
> wrote:

>>> I enjoy seeing the difference between translations when a foreign
>>> language film is dubbed and also has subtitles. I almost find it
>>> instructive!
>>>
>>> On a different note I wish far more foreign films were dubbed into
>>> English, rather than having to rely on subtitles which take your eye away
>>> from the action.
>>
>> Try watching TV in Germany. Not only do they overdub everything that is
>> not in German, but they also change voice tones. For example a deep and
>> gruff voice is either the boss or the head baddie - which when you know
>> the film in English and you know the actor's voice it makes a farce of it.
>> The strange thing is that some channels will show a film or prog in
>> English with the original soundtrack in English, and then caption only
>> parts of it in German.
>
> One of the oddest things I've seen is the recent spate of Welsh BBC
> dramas (Hinterland, and the other one whatever it's called) where some
> of the scenes are in English and some in Welsh. I have no problem
> watching Welsh with English subtitles, Welsh has a lovely sound to it,
> but the choice of language for each scene seems completely random, and
> I can't help wondering if this is really the way they behave in Wales.

Perhaps you were thinking of Hidden, where there is a version which is
(almost) entirely in Welsh, and a BBC Four version which is mostly in
English with a few bits of Welsh (with tiny English subtitles). I think
there is some kind of rule that Welsh productions aren't allowed to have
more than a certain percentage of English. They might as well have shown
the Welsh version with English subtitles. I don't mind watching foreign
films with subtitles provided they are done well, (i.e. clearly visible
and synchronised); I suppose they would have to be in-vision rather than
optional on an English channel.

--
Max Demian

Re: Netflix tightening up on multi use

<n9adnSZIQMW_i_D_nZ2dnUU7-eHNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33060&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33060

Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:57:39 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
 by: Max Demian - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 10:57 UTC

On 29/04/2022 20:24, Roderick Stewart wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 10:54:58 +0100, Pamela
> <pamela.private.mailbox@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On a different note I wish far more foreign films were dubbed into
>> English, rather than having to rely on subtitles which take your eye away
>>from the action.
>
> I hope we can disagree like grownups on this one. I'd far rather hear
> the original performance by the original actors, than somebody else
> trying to duplicate it in a dubbing theatre, even if I don't
> understand the language and have to read subtitles. The emotional
> intensity is never the same, sometimes the voices are a poor match for
> the original actors, and if the dialogue wasn't available on a
> separate track, some of the original FX or background sound can be
> missing or clumsily recreated too. If it's really bad it can be like
> watching a different film.

If done properly I find that after a short time, I don't notice that I
am reading the subtitles, depending on how interesting the film is.

Have you tried watching films on YouTube? Some of them, whether English
or some other foreign language have been intended for a Russian
audience, but, rather than having Russian subtitles (optional or
embedded), they have a Russian voiceover; after the speech a Russian
voice comes on with the translation. I wonder why they do it this way.

--
Max Demian

Re: Netflix tightening up on multi use

<t4jbf6$2f8$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33061&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33061

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 13:52:55 +0100
 by: MB - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 12:52 UTC

On 30/04/2022 11:45, Max Demian wrote:
> Perhaps you were thinking of Hidden, where there is a version which is
> (almost) entirely in Welsh, and a BBC Four version which is mostly in
> English with a few bits of Welsh (with tiny English subtitles). I think
> there is some kind of rule that Welsh productions aren't allowed to have
> more than a certain percentage of English. They might as well have shown
> the Welsh version with English subtitles. I don't mind watching foreign
> films with subtitles provided they are done well, (i.e. clearly visible
> and synchronised); I suppose they would have to be in-vision rather than
> optional on an English channel.

THe BBC Four version is probably a good representation of how many speak
in North Wales, switching between English and Welsh quite naturally.
Also presumably makes the programme more marketable abroad.

I have not had any problems with the subtitles, quite readable on my TV
set.

Being a Welsh channel, the BBC Cymru version is predominently in Welsh,
never watched it so I don't know how much English is used.

BBC Alba does documentaries where some non-Gaelic speakers speak in
English, like the current series on the mermaid, but not watched any of
their dramas so don't know if they have any in a mix of English and
Gaelic like Hidden.

Interesting comment from Alistair MacLean in the programme about him a
few nights ago. He did not speak any English until he was about five
then was now allowed to speak any English at home and made to learn the
pipes. He said that because of this, he now hates both Gaelic and
bagpipes :-)

Re: Netflix tightening up on multi use

<t4jkbe$atr$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33062&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33062

From: bathwatc...@OMITTHISgooglemail.com (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 16:24:33 +0100
 by: Indy Jess John - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 15:24 UTC

On 30/04/2022 11:57, Max Demian wrote:
> On 29/04/2022 20:24, Roderick Stewart wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 10:54:58 +0100, Pamela
>> <pamela.private.mailbox@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On a different note I wish far more foreign films were dubbed into
>>> English, rather than having to rely on subtitles which take your eye
>>> away
>>> from the action.
>>
>> I hope we can disagree like grownups on this one. I'd far rather hear
>> the original performance by the original actors, than somebody else
>> trying to duplicate it in a dubbing theatre, even if I don't
>> understand the language and have to read subtitles. The emotional
>> intensity is never the same, sometimes the voices are a poor match for
>> the original actors, and if the dialogue wasn't available on a
>> separate track, some of the original FX or background sound can be
>> missing or clumsily recreated too. If it's really bad it can be like
>> watching a different film.
>
> If done properly I find that after a short time, I don't notice that I
> am reading the subtitles, depending on how interesting the film is.
>
> Have you tried watching films on YouTube? Some of them, whether English
> or some other foreign language have been intended for a Russian
> audience, but, rather than having Russian subtitles (optional or
> embedded), they have a Russian voiceover; after the speech a Russian
> voice comes on with the translation. I wonder why they do it this way.

Perhaps there is a significant proportion of Russians who can't read? It
is a vast country after all, and there must be some areas where the
population isn't dense enough to justify a school.

Jim

Re: Netflix tightening up on multi use

<xn0nh8m364q1xar00m@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33063&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33063

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: 30 Apr 2022 16:54:39 GMT
References: <t482t2$c00$1@dont-email.me> <t483nu$gui$1@dont-email.me> <fl5f6ht9m6ec7jfmn1lbqv1djde3qqf4lp@4ax.com> <XnsAE8593F94AC3B37B93@144.76.35.252> <ph1i6hhaek36pdkrvr99d0nhqd8ihl5v5b@4ax.com> <jct9mqFbov0U2@mid.individual.net> <233j6h9v40mpeucvdn5fr9qrlpqkpuvdo7@4ax.com> <XnsAE886F0BE71737B93@144.76.35.252> <ifeo6h1602l8amik6dlb6nd0d1038kt2sr@4ax.com> <n9adnSZIQMW_i_D_nZ2dnUU7-eHNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk> <t4jkbe$atr$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 16:54 UTC

On 30/04/2022 in message <t4jkbe$atr$1@dont-email.me> Indy Jess John wrote:

>>Have you tried watching films on YouTube? Some of them, whether English
>>or some other foreign language have been intended for a Russian audience,
>>but, rather than having Russian subtitles (optional or embedded), they
>>have a Russian voiceover; after the speech a Russian voice comes on with
>>the translation. I wonder why they do it this way.
>>
>Perhaps there is a significant proportion of Russians who can't read? It
>is a vast country after all, and there must be some areas where the
>population isn't dense enough to justify a school.

That's a downward spiral :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day.

Re: Netflix tightening up on multi use

<imt17h5aa2noif2ssv8hl71s7nikultj2f@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33064&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33064

From: me...@address.invalid (Martin)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 03 May 2022 11:34:28 +0200
 by: Martin - Tue, 3 May 2022 09:34 UTC

On Wed, 27 Apr 2022 17:35:38 +0100, JNugent <jennings&co@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>On 27/04/2022 10:08 am, Martin wrote:
>> On Tue, 26 Apr 2022 14:32:47 +0100, Pamela <pamela.private.mailbox@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I am not much of a Freeview viewer as I watch mostly streaming tv.
>>> However Recently I refreshed the Freeview stations to get TalkTV. A lot
>>> of new channels appeared but, from their description or name, not a
>>> single one seemed worth watching.
>>>
>>> It was almost wall-to-wall dross. In my opinion, this dross wasn't just a
>>> waste of time but also left you mind numbed and perhaps even "mind bent".
>>>
>>> The main five channels are available on streaming apps away from Freeview
>>> although frankly only BBC iplayer is worth watching and that's only when
>>> their heavy-handed "diversity" programming isn't showing.
>>>
>>> Bah humbug.
>>>
>>> I keep Netflix because it releases a large amount of new content,
>>> although much of it seems sensationalist rubbishy movies aimed at the more
>>> juvenile members of the 18 to 30 year-old market. Netflix also has too
>>> many lifestyle; reality tv; pseudo documentaries and such like. However
>>> it does have the occasional gem.
>>
>> I agree with you. We occasionally used my son's UK account until fairly recently
>> as well as our own Dutch account, because there was more films on the UK version
>> of Netflix than on the Dutch version. Also for some reason in NL, UK subtitles
>> were missing in the Dutch version. They seem to be the same now and I think the
>> two versions show the same English language films. We don't watch a lot of
>> Netflix, but it is worth paying for the gems. My wife has poor hearing and is
>> Belgian so she needs the UK subtitles.
>
>We have discovered the value of using subtitles just in order to know
>what the actors are mumbling about at a volume of about one-third of the
>incidental music.

Without the mumbling and too loud background music I wouldn't need subtitles.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Re: Netflix tightening up on multi use

<upt17hl421nu9s4i6pv63n47s37nfh64tm@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33065&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33065

From: me...@address.invalid (Martin)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 03 May 2022 11:36:41 +0200
 by: Martin - Tue, 3 May 2022 09:36 UTC

On Wed, 27 Apr 2022 19:41:09 +0100, Roderick Stewart
<rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Apr 2022 17:35:38 +0100, JNugent <jennings&co@fastmail.fm>
>wrote:
>
>>We have discovered the value of using subtitles just in order to know
>>what the actors are mumbling about at a volume of about one-third of the
>>incidental music.
>
>Same here, and I know it's not my hearing, because with some movies or
>TV dramas I can hear every word, and with others it's almost
>impossible. Usually it's the older productions where the dialogue is
>clearer, and the recent stuff that's hard to follow. Draw your own
>inferences from that.
>
>Sometimes it's actors mumbling, and sometimes it's the dynamic range
>of a movie that is is so huge that if I keep the volume low enough so
>as not to be deafened by the FX sounds, the dialogue is almost
>inaudible, however clearly spoken it might be. I think a lot of films
>are still being mixed to keep people awake in cinemas, rather than to
>entertain them in living rooms.

We have major problems understanding the sound with some episodes of HIGNFY.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Re: Netflix tightening up on multi use

<t4rmqq$ljl$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33066&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33066

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 16:55:54 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:l+DTd9x4m1SErEbLv5dPk2t1WdA=
 by: Tweed - Tue, 3 May 2022 16:55 UTC

Martin <me@address.invalid> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2022 19:41:09 +0100, Roderick Stewart
> <rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 27 Apr 2022 17:35:38 +0100, JNugent <jennings&co@fastmail.fm>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> We have discovered the value of using subtitles just in order to know
>>> what the actors are mumbling about at a volume of about one-third of the
>>> incidental music.
>>
>> Same here, and I know it's not my hearing, because with some movies or
>> TV dramas I can hear every word, and with others it's almost
>> impossible. Usually it's the older productions where the dialogue is
>> clearer, and the recent stuff that's hard to follow. Draw your own
>> inferences from that.
>>
>> Sometimes it's actors mumbling, and sometimes it's the dynamic range
>> of a movie that is is so huge that if I keep the volume low enough so
>> as not to be deafened by the FX sounds, the dialogue is almost
>> inaudible, however clearly spoken it might be. I think a lot of films
>> are still being mixed to keep people awake in cinemas, rather than to
>> entertain them in living rooms.
>
> We have major problems understanding the sound with some episodes of HIGNFY.

I don’t and I’m 58, so not a spring chicken. I watch it every week without
issue. Mind you, I’d did wonder what all the fuss was about poor sound
quality from the sound from TVs, until I experienced some sets in holiday
lets etc. My own Samsung produces excellent sound without the help of sound
bars etc.

Re: Netflix tightening up on multi use

<jddb31Fe92tU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33067&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33067

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 19:37:20 +0100
<t4jkbe$atr$1@dont-email.me> <xn0nh8m364q1xar00m@news.individual.net>
 by: alan_m - Tue, 3 May 2022 18:37 UTC

On 30/04/2022 17:54, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> On 30/04/2022 in message <t4jkbe$atr$1@dont-email.me> Indy Jess John wrote:
>
>>> Have you tried watching films on YouTube? Some of them, whether
>>> English or some other foreign language have been intended for a
>>> Russian  audience, but, rather than having Russian subtitles
>>> (optional or  embedded), they have a Russian voiceover; after the
>>> speech a Russian  voice comes on with the translation. I wonder why
>>> they do it this way.
>>>
>> Perhaps there is a significant proportion of Russians who can't read?
>> It is a vast country after all, and there must be some areas where the
>> population isn't dense enough to justify a school.
>
> That's a downward spiral :-)

Even when you do have schools
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-23346693

Re: Netflix tightening up on multi use

<jdde3rFer0fU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33068&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33068

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 20:29:00 +0100
 by: williamwright - Tue, 3 May 2022 19:29 UTC

On 03/05/2022 10:36, Martin wrote:
> We have major problems understanding the sound with some episodes of HIGNFY.

I've given up on that programme. It's so stale. Hislop pretends to be a
lefty so he can keep working for the BBC, Murton mostly just pulls
faces, the guests are obviously chosen so they fit in with the BBC's
world view, the format is tired, they all seem to be struggling to make
it look as if they're enjoying themselves when they obviously aren't.

Bill

Re: Netflix tightening up on multi use

<t4s0dj$b5r$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33069&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33069

From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 20:39:30 +0100
 by: Woody - Tue, 3 May 2022 19:39 UTC

On Tue 03/05/2022 20:29, williamwright wrote:
> On 03/05/2022 10:36, Martin wrote:
>> We have major problems understanding the sound with some episodes of
>> HIGNFY.
>
> I've given up on that programme. It's so stale. Hislop pretends to be a
> lefty so he can keep working for the BBC, Murton mostly just pulls
> faces, the guests are obviously chosen so they fit in with the BBC's
> world view, the format is tired, they all seem to be struggling to make
> it look as if they're enjoying themselves when they obviously aren't.

Except when Clive Myrie is in the chair!