There's enough money here to buy 5000 cans of Noodle-Roni!

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Re: What cable do I need?

SubjectAuthor
* What cable do I need?Terry Pinnell
+* Re: What cable do I need?Jeff Gaines
|+* Re: What cable do I need?Terry Pinnell
||`* Re: What cable do I need?GB
|| `- Re: What cable do I need?Terry Pinnell
|`* Re: What cable do I need?Terry Pinnell
| `- Re: What cable do I need?GB
+* Re: What cable do I need?David
|`* Re: What cable do I need?Terry Pinnell
| `- Re: What cable do I need?David
`* Re: What cable do I need?Andy Burns
 `* Re: What cable do I need?Terry Pinnell
  `- Re: What cable do I need?Andy Burns

1
What cable do I need?

<gusp4ilfmpsdmftcol9oqh6c607jcgrqnm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3289&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3289

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: What cable do I need?
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 11:46:21 +0100
 by: Terry Pinnell - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 10:46 UTC

I previously had my Acer monitor on another PC, but I now want to use it
on my old XP-based MESH PC in my shed workshop.

As shown in my annotated screenshots, the Acer cable has the same plug
at both ends. But there is no matching socket on the old MESH PC.

I'm struggling to fathom what cable (or adapter) I need to connect the
Acer to the MESH PC. Any advice would be much appreciated please.
Ideally a link to Amazon Prime UK, as I'm impatient to get it installed
;-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0nkuoi1dm2zdnny/AcerToMESH-WhatCable.jpg?raw=1

Terry, East Grinstead

Re: What cable do I need?

<xn0o164t2o3oe2e00f@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3290&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3290

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: What cable do I need?
Date: 29 Apr 2023 10:54:45 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 10:54 UTC

On 29/04/2023 in message <gusp4ilfmpsdmftcol9oqh6c607jcgrqnm@4ax.com>
Terry Pinnell wrote:

>I previously had my Acer monitor on another PC, but I now want to use it
>on my old XP-based MESH PC in my shed workshop.
>
>As shown in my annotated screenshots, the Acer cable has the same plug
>at both ends. But there is no matching socket on the old MESH PC.
>
>I'm struggling to fathom what cable (or adapter) I need to connect the
>Acer to the MESH PC. Any advice would be much appreciated please.
>Ideally a link to Amazon Prime UK, as I'm impatient to get it installed
>;-)
>
>https://www.dropbox.com/s/0nkuoi1dm2zdnny/AcerToMESH-WhatCable.jpg?raw=1
>
>Terry, East Grinstead

The cable is VGA, pretty rare nowadays. The socket without a plug in it is
DVI. Adaptors are available:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=dvi+to+vga+adapter&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_3_10

Make sure any adaptor/cable you buy works in both directions, I've not had
to buy one for this setup so don't know if that is normal.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Every day is a good day for chicken, unless you're a chicken.

Re: What cable do I need?

<59up4ip1ii6ce56opnqf3uq3rdg1eabfvr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3291&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3291

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 12:03:44 +0100
 by: Terry Pinnell - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 11:03 UTC

Thanks a bunch for that fast reply Jeff, duly ordered!

Terry

--------------------

"Jeff Gaines" <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:

>On 29/04/2023 in message <gusp4ilfmpsdmftcol9oqh6c607jcgrqnm@4ax.com>
>Terry Pinnell wrote:
>
>>I previously had my Acer monitor on another PC, but I now want to use it
>>on my old XP-based MESH PC in my shed workshop.
>>
>>As shown in my annotated screenshots, the Acer cable has the same plug
>>at both ends. But there is no matching socket on the old MESH PC.
>>
>>I'm struggling to fathom what cable (or adapter) I need to connect the
>>Acer to the MESH PC. Any advice would be much appreciated please.
>>Ideally a link to Amazon Prime UK, as I'm impatient to get it installed
>>;-)
>>
>>https://www.dropbox.com/s/0nkuoi1dm2zdnny/AcerToMESH-WhatCable.jpg?raw=1
>>
>>Terry, East Grinstead
>
>The cable is VGA, pretty rare nowadays. The socket without a plug in it is
>DVI. Adaptors are available:
>
>https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=dvi+to+vga+adapter&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_3_10
>
>Make sure any adaptor/cable you buy works in both directions, I've not had
>to buy one for this setup so don't know if that is normal.

Re: What cable do I need?

<u2j4he$2uv7n$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3292&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3292

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 14:02:39 +0100
 by: GB - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 13:02 UTC

On 29/04/2023 12:03, Terry Pinnell wrote:
> Thanks a bunch for that fast reply Jeff, duly ordered!
>
> Terry
>
> --------------------
>
> "Jeff Gaines" <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:
>
>> On 29/04/2023 in message <gusp4ilfmpsdmftcol9oqh6c607jcgrqnm@4ax.com>
>> Terry Pinnell wrote:
>>
>>> I previously had my Acer monitor on another PC, but I now want to use it
>>> on my old XP-based MESH PC in my shed workshop.
>>>
>>> As shown in my annotated screenshots, the Acer cable has the same plug
>>> at both ends. But there is no matching socket on the old MESH PC.
>>>
>>> I'm struggling to fathom what cable (or adapter) I need to connect the
>>> Acer to the MESH PC. Any advice would be much appreciated please.
>>> Ideally a link to Amazon Prime UK, as I'm impatient to get it installed
>>> ;-)
>>>
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/0nkuoi1dm2zdnny/AcerToMESH-WhatCable.jpg?raw=1
>>>
>>> Terry, East Grinstead
>>
>> The cable is VGA, pretty rare nowadays. The socket without a plug in it is
>> DVI. Adaptors are available:
>>
>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=dvi+to+vga+adapter&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_3_10
>>
>> Make sure any adaptor/cable you buy works in both directions, I've not had
>> to buy one for this setup so don't know if that is normal.

WAITTTTTT!

Does the monitor only have the VGA input, or does it also take a DVI
input? A DVI-DVI cable may be cheaper, and DVI allegedly gives a better
picture.

Re: What cable do I need?

<kb73q7Fi1fcU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3296&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3296

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 30 Apr 2023 12:04:23 GMT
 by: David - Sun, 30 Apr 2023 12:04 UTC

On Sat, 29 Apr 2023 11:46:21 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:

> I previously had my Acer monitor on another PC, but I now want to use it
> on my old XP-based MESH PC in my shed workshop.
>
> As shown in my annotated screenshots, the Acer cable has the same plug
> at both ends. But there is no matching socket on the old MESH PC.
>
> I'm struggling to fathom what cable (or adapter) I need to connect the
> Acer to the MESH PC. Any advice would be much appreciated please.
> Ideally a link to Amazon Prime UK, as I'm impatient to get it installed
> ;-)
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/0nkuoi1dm2zdnny/AcerToMESH-WhatCable.jpg?raw=1
>
> Terry, East Grinstead

Picture of the connection(s) on the Acer monitor would be helpful.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: What cable do I need?

<kb7lvaFu469U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3297&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3297

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2023 18:14:20 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 30 Apr 2023 17:14 UTC

Terry Pinnell wrote:

> https://www.dropbox.com/s/0nkuoi1dm2zdnny/AcerToMESH-WhatCable.jpg?raw=1

It's a DVI connector, but there are several types, unfortunately your
photo is rather "potatocam" quality to tell which, I suspect DVI-I dual
link?

<https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fb/DVI_Connector_Types.svg/1200px-DVI_Connector_Types.svg.png>

Re: What cable do I need?

<uvgv4ih4hg8ofpe280rekjn2d82akd4ubo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3300&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3300

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 01 May 2023 14:57:03 +0100
 by: Terry Pinnell - Mon, 1 May 2023 13:57 UTC

David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 29 Apr 2023 11:46:21 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:
>
>> I previously had my Acer monitor on another PC, but I now want to use it
>> on my old XP-based MESH PC in my shed workshop.
>>
>> As shown in my annotated screenshots, the Acer cable has the same plug
>> at both ends. But there is no matching socket on the old MESH PC.
>>
>> I'm struggling to fathom what cable (or adapter) I need to connect the
>> Acer to the MESH PC. Any advice would be much appreciated please.
>> Ideally a link to Amazon Prime UK, as I'm impatient to get it installed
>> ;-)
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/0nkuoi1dm2zdnny/AcerToMESH-WhatCable.jpg?raw=1
>>
>> Terry, East Grinstead
>
>Picture of the connection(s) on the Acer monitor would be helpful.
>
>Cheers
>

>Dave R

I included a high res photo of both ends of the Acer monitor cable in my
original post.

Terry

Re: What cable do I need?

<l9hv4i5so1gj0krnr4rl6a5on48r50blsn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3301&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3301

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 01 May 2023 15:15:00 +0100
 by: Terry Pinnell - Mon, 1 May 2023 14:15 UTC

"Jeff Gaines" <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:

>On 29/04/2023 in message <gusp4ilfmpsdmftcol9oqh6c607jcgrqnm@4ax.com>
>Terry Pinnell wrote:
>
>>I previously had my Acer monitor on another PC, but I now want to use it
>>on my old XP-based MESH PC in my shed workshop.
>>
>>As shown in my annotated screenshots, the Acer cable has the same plug
>>at both ends. But there is no matching socket on the old MESH PC.
>>
>>I'm struggling to fathom what cable (or adapter) I need to connect the
>>Acer to the MESH PC. Any advice would be much appreciated please.
>>Ideally a link to Amazon Prime UK, as I'm impatient to get it installed
>>;-)
>>
>>https://www.dropbox.com/s/0nkuoi1dm2zdnny/AcerToMESH-WhatCable.jpg?raw=1
>>
>>Terry, East Grinstead
>
>The cable is VGA, pretty rare nowadays. The socket without a plug in it is
>DVI. Adaptors are available:
>
>https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=dvi+to+vga+adapter&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_3_10
>
>Make sure any adaptor/cable you buy works in both directions, I've not had
>to buy one for this setup so don't know if that is normal.

The adapter arrived last night (Sunday) and works perfectly ;-)

Of course, the 1920 x 1080 resolution I had on my 24" Ilyama had to be
reduced on the smaller Acer, to the rather odd 1366 x 768. But once I
got that sorted it seems to be working fine.

Anyone know if there's likely to be anything worth salvaging from the
old and dim Ilyama Prolite before I reluctantly dump it at the recycling
centre?

Terry

Re: What cable do I need?

<7civ4ilfjdu7vvd3ug1kiae8p94hptsmbp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3302&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3302

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 01 May 2023 15:17:33 +0100
 by: Terry Pinnell - Mon, 1 May 2023 14:17 UTC

GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> wrote:

>On 29/04/2023 12:03, Terry Pinnell wrote:
>> Thanks a bunch for that fast reply Jeff, duly ordered!
>>
>> Terry
>>
>> --------------------
>>
>> "Jeff Gaines" <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:

>>> The cable is VGA, pretty rare nowadays. The socket without a plug in it is
>>> DVI. Adaptors are available:
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=dvi+to+vga+adapter&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_3_10
>>>
>>> Make sure any adaptor/cable you buy works in both directions, I've not had
>>> to buy one for this setup so don't know if that is normal.
>

>WAITTTTTT!
>
>Does the monitor only have the VGA input, or does it also take a DVI
>input? A DVI-DVI cable may be cheaper, and DVI allegedly gives a better
>picture.

That's the Acer's only input, but the VGA-to-DVI adapter solves the
problem.

Terry

Re: What cable do I need?

<41jv4ipsfkuj8km952jbgvgcl2soa4fg67@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3303&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3303

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 01 May 2023 15:42:58 +0100
 by: Terry Pinnell - Mon, 1 May 2023 14:42 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

>Terry Pinnell wrote:
>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/0nkuoi1dm2zdnny/AcerToMESH-WhatCable.jpg?raw=1
>
>It's a DVI connector, but there are several types, unfortunately your
>photo is rather "potatocam" quality to tell which, I suspect DVI-I dual
>link?
>
><https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fb/DVI_Connector_Types.svg/1200px-DVI_Connector_Types.svg.png>

I think you're right Andy, although it's described as 'Active DVI-D to
VGA Adapter, Benfei DVl-D 24+1 to VGA Male to Female Adapter' in the
page linked by Jeff. Here's an edited image:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0o8blmcmjamrmvj/VGAtoDVIadapter.jpg?raw=1

"potatocam" What ?!!! Place and weapon of your choosing at dawn, Sir...

Actually, if you zoom in a bit on the high res annotated image I
carefully prepared, I think it's not that bad ;-)

Terry

Re: What cable do I need?

<kbaa1lFc0ugU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3305&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3305

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 1 May 2023 18:09:08 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 1 May 2023 17:09 UTC

Terry Pinnell wrote:

> I think you're right Andy, although it's described as 'Active DVI-D to
> VGA Adapter, Benfei DVl-D 24+1 to VGA Male to Female Adapter'

If the machine is DVI-I, that means it can do DVI-D and DVI-A, you're
using it as -D with an active adapter to convert back to analogue VGA,
you could have got away with a passive (cheaper?) -A adapter to connect
to VGA ... but glad you got it working.

Re: What cable do I need?

<u2p30t$ahe0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3306&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3306

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 1 May 2023 20:13:35 +0100
 by: GB - Mon, 1 May 2023 19:13 UTC

On 01/05/2023 15:15, Terry Pinnell wrote:

> Anyone know if there's likely to be anything worth salvaging from the
> old and dim Ilyama Prolite before I reluctantly dump it at the recycling
> centre?

Your bitcoin wallet?

> Terry

Re: What cable do I need?

<kbc3maFsn2sU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3311&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3311

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 2 May 2023 09:32:58 GMT
 by: David - Tue, 2 May 2023 09:32 UTC

On Mon, 01 May 2023 14:57:03 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:

> David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 29 Apr 2023 11:46:21 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:
>>
>>> I previously had my Acer monitor on another PC, but I now want to use
>>> it on my old XP-based MESH PC in my shed workshop.
>>>
>>> As shown in my annotated screenshots, the Acer cable has the same plug
>>> at both ends. But there is no matching socket on the old MESH PC.
>>>
>>> I'm struggling to fathom what cable (or adapter) I need to connect the
>>> Acer to the MESH PC. Any advice would be much appreciated please.
>>> Ideally a link to Amazon Prime UK, as I'm impatient to get it
>>> installed ;-)
>>>
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/0nkuoi1dm2zdnny/AcerToMESH-WhatCable.jpg?
raw=1

>>> Terry, East Grinstead
>>
>>Picture of the connection(s) on the Acer monitor would be helpful.
>>
>>Cheers
>>

>>Dave R
>
> I included a high res photo of both ends of the Acer monitor cable in my
> original post.
>
> Terry

But not the picture of the Acer monitor where one end of the cable goes in.

A lot of monitors support more than one interface, so worth checking.

Cheers

Dave R