From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: 2022: Dutch dissemble re cycle deaths
Date: 17 Nov 2023 15:55:17 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 15:55 UTC

QUOTE
In 2022, 291 cyclists were killed in traffic in the Netherlands. This was a
steep increase compared to 2010 and one of the highest number of cyclists
killed in traffic accidents in 20 years. In total, there were roughly 737
road fatalities in 2022.
ENDQUOTE

With regard to the claim that 2022 represented “…one of the highest number
of cyclists killed in traffic accidents in 20 years”, this was printed
under a graphic that showed that from 1996, the highest previous figure was
264 in 1997, rather more than the ‘20 years’ mentioned.

So, in order to avoid saying that 2022 was the worst year for cyclist road
deaths since 1996, which is a factual statement of the true position, the
Dutch have dissembled by describing the figure of 291 cyclist deaths quite
truthfully but wilfully misleadingly as ‘one of the highest for 20 years’
despite the fact that they have data going back to 1996.

Why did they need to dissemble?

<https://www.statista.com/statistics/523310/netherlands-number-of-cyclist-road-fatalities/>

--
Spike