Fresco's Discovery: If you knew what you were doing you'd probably be bored.

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?

SubjectAuthor
* Any "new" News on Mux 7?SH
+- Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?Scott
`* Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?Mark Carver
 `* Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?SH
  `* Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?Mark Carver
   `* Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?SH
    +* Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?Brian Gaff
    |`* Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?NY
    | +- Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?MB
    | +- Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?Brian Gaff
    | +* Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?Brian Gaff
    | |+- Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?Andy Burns
    | |`* Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?Mark Carver
    | | +* Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?Tweed
    | | |`* Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?Mark Carver
    | | | `* Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?Tweed
    | | |  +- Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?Mark Carver
    | | |  `* Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?MB
    | | |   +* Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?Tweed
    | | |   |`- Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?Max Demian
    | | |   `- Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?Paul Ratcliffe
    | | `- Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?MB
    | +* Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?Brian Gregory
    | |`- Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?Brian Gregory
    | `* Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?Brian Gregory
    |  `- Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?Mark Carver
    `* Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?Mark Carver
     +- Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?Scott
     `- Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?Brian Gaff

Pages:12
Any "new" News on Mux 7?

<t5b9j5$3qc$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33129&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33129

From: i.l...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Any "new" News on Mux 7?
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 15:48:08 +0100
 by: SH - Mon, 9 May 2022 14:48 UTC

Just been reading the licensee licence on OFCOM.

The long-stop closure date is 30th June which is now 52 days away.....

Does anyone know if the channels on mux 7 will just simply close or be
transferred to the other 6 multiplexes with either channel shuffle or
reduced bit rates?

Any mention of the SD muxes being converted to HD?

Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?

<bpai7hhlgq55cmju73jobtfkntsmvmpmk3@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33130&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33130

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 15:55:33 +0100
 by: Scott - Mon, 9 May 2022 14:55 UTC

On Mon, 9 May 2022 15:48:08 +0100, SH <i.love@spam.com> wrote:

>Just been reading the licensee licence on OFCOM.
>
>The long-stop closure date is 30th June which is now 52 days away.....
>
>Does anyone know if the channels on mux 7 will just simply close or be
>transferred to the other 6 multiplexes with either channel shuffle or
>reduced bit rates?

Is there a level of reduction that would lose them the HD moniker?

Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?

<jdsohiFcavkU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33131&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33131

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 15:58:59 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Mon, 9 May 2022 14:58 UTC

On 09/05/2022 15:48, SH wrote:
> Just been reading the licensee licence on OFCOM.
>
> The long-stop closure date is 30th June which is now 52 days away.....
>
> Does anyone know if the channels on mux 7 will just simply close or be
> transferred to the other 6 multiplexes with either channel shuffle or
> reduced bit rates?
>
> Any mention of the SD muxes being converted to HD?

I hear rumblings (today funilly enough) that some channels  might get
re-homed in the some of other muxes.

Watch this space, nothing is public domain yet

Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?

<t5bb2d$tkn$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33132&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33132

From: i.l...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 16:13:19 +0100
 by: SH - Mon, 9 May 2022 15:13 UTC

On 09/05/2022 15:58, Mark Carver wrote:
> On 09/05/2022 15:48, SH wrote:
>> Just been reading the licensee licence on OFCOM.
>>
>> The long-stop closure date is 30th June which is now 52 days away.....
>>
>> Does anyone know if the channels on mux 7 will just simply close or be
>> transferred to the other 6 multiplexes with either channel shuffle or
>> reduced bit rates?
>>
>> Any mention of the SD muxes being converted to HD?
>
> I hear rumblings (today funilly enough) that some channels  might get
> re-homed in the some of other muxes.
>
> Watch this space, nothing is public domain yet

normally with OFCOM you get notice well in advance of any major
engineering changes at the Tx network level..... far more notice than 52
days.....

As for rehoming into existing muxes, will that mean reduced bitrates for
the current mux occupants or closure of some channels or reduced
broadcast hours?

S.

Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?

<jdspqqFcjljU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33133&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33133

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 16:20:59 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Mon, 9 May 2022 15:20 UTC

On 09/05/2022 16:13, SH wrote:
> On 09/05/2022 15:58, Mark Carver wrote:
>> On 09/05/2022 15:48, SH wrote:
>>> Just been reading the licensee licence on OFCOM.
>>>
>>> The long-stop closure date is 30th June which is now 52 days away.....
>>>
>>> Does anyone know if the channels on mux 7 will just simply close or
>>> be transferred to the other 6 multiplexes with either channel
>>> shuffle or reduced bit rates?
>>>
>>> Any mention of the SD muxes being converted to HD?
>>
>> I hear rumblings (today funilly enough) that some channels might get
>> re-homed in the some of other muxes.
>>
>> Watch this space, nothing is public domain yet
>
> normally with OFCOM you get notice well in advance of any major
> engineering changes at the Tx network level..... far more notice than
> 52 days.....

They confirmed at a CAI event a few months ago that COM7 would cease
next month. Apparently the channels that are on the mux are under no
regulatory or contractual obligation to give notice to the viewers that
they will cease on COM7, so some probably won't and just suddenly
vanish.  At least Russia Today were overtaken by other events !

> As for rehoming into existing muxes, will that mean reduced bitrates
> for the current mux occupants or closure of some channels or reduced
> broadcast hours?

Dunno/Can't say

Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?

<t8hh32$38a$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33772&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33772

From: i.l...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 10:21:38 +0100
 by: SH - Fri, 17 Jun 2022 09:21 UTC

On 09/05/2022 16:20, Mark Carver wrote:
> On 09/05/2022 16:13, SH wrote:

>>> I hear rumblings (today funilly enough) that some channels might get
>>> re-homed in the some of other muxes.
>>>
>>> Watch this space, nothing is public domain yet
>>
>> normally with OFCOM you get notice well in advance of any major
>> engineering changes at the Tx network level..... far more notice than
>> 52 days.....
>
> They confirmed at a CAI event a few months ago that COM7 would cease
> next month. Apparently the channels that are on the mux are under no
> regulatory or contractual obligation to give notice to the viewers that
> they will cease on COM7, so some probably won't and just suddenly
> vanish.  At least Russia Today were overtaken by other events !
>>
>> As for rehoming into existing muxes, will that mean reduced bitrates
>> for the current mux occupants or closure of some channels or reduced
>> broadcast hours?
>>
> Dunno/Can't say

Any further news about the remaining channels on Com 7 apart from Forces
TV closing. BBC News 24 HD closing and the remaining BBC channels moving
to PSB3?

I'm surprised at the lack of news given that Com 7 closure is 13 days
away.....

Normally one starts getting an onscreen message saying your TV (s)
will need returning on XX/YY/ZZ date.

Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?

<t8ho8k$o57$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33775&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33775

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 12:23:59 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 17 Jun 2022 11:23 UTC

Pity about Forces TV, since its often running old stuff nobody else does. I
would imagine other channels will pick up the programs instead though. How
many people in the UK do not get these channels and only get the main ones.
I'm really surprised that there are so many hd shopping channels it would
seem rather a forgotten way to get offers given the internet being so
popular.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"SH" <i.love@spam.com> wrote in message news:t8hh32$38a$1@dont-email.me...
> On 09/05/2022 16:20, Mark Carver wrote:

>>> normally with OFCOM you get notice well in advance of any major
>>> engineering changes at the Tx network level..... far more notice than 52
>>> days.....
>>
>> They confirmed at a CAI event a few months ago that COM7 would cease next
>> month. Apparently the channels that are on the mux are under no
>> regulatory or contractual obligation to give notice to the viewers that
>> they will cease on COM7, so some probably won't and just suddenly vanish.
>> At least Russia Today were overtaken by other events !
>>>
>>> As for rehoming into existing muxes, will that mean reduced bitrates for
>>> the current mux occupants or closure of some channels or reduced
>>> broadcast hours?
>>>
>> Dunno/Can't say
>
> Any further news about the remaining channels on Com 7 apart from Forces
> TV closing. BBC News 24 HD closing and the remaining BBC channels moving
> to PSB3?
>
> I'm surprised at the lack of news given that Com 7 closure is 13 days
> away.....
>
> Normally one starts getting an onscreen message saying your TV (s) will
> need returning on XX/YY/ZZ date.

Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?

<jh3brgFp0o8U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33778&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33778

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 13:54:07 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Fri, 17 Jun 2022 12:54 UTC

On 17/06/2022 10:21, SH wrote:
> On 09/05/2022 16:20, Mark Carver wrote:

>>> normally with OFCOM you get notice well in advance of any major
>>> engineering changes at the Tx network level..... far more notice
>>> than 52 days.....
>>
>> They confirmed at a CAI event a few months ago that COM7 would cease
>> next month. Apparently the channels that are on the mux are under no
>> regulatory or contractual obligation to give notice to the viewers
>> that they will cease on COM7, so some probably won't and just
>> suddenly vanish.  At least Russia Today were overtaken by other events !
>>>
>>> As for rehoming into existing muxes, will that mean reduced bitrates
>>> for the current mux occupants or closure of some channels or reduced
>>> broadcast hours?
>>>
>> Dunno/Can't say
>
> Any further news about the remaining channels on Com 7 apart from
> Forces TV closing. BBC News 24 HD closing and the remaining BBC
> channels moving to PSB3?
>
> I'm surprised at the lack of news given that Com 7 closure is 13 days
> away.....
>
>  Normally one starts getting an onscreen message saying your TV (s)
> will need returning on XX/YY/ZZ date.

As I've said many times, the broadcasters on COM 7 are under no
regulatory obligation to inform the viewer of anything.

Forces TV have said they are closing, in fact their last programme ends
at 11am on June 30th, which means they can probably run a caption
explaining the situation until midnight.
Possibly the other channels will do similar.

The Beeb have announced the fate of BBC 4/Cbeebs and BBC News Ch, but
I've not seen any warnings/info  pop up on screen yet.

There won't be a retune notice about BBC 4/Cbeebs until PSB 3 is
actually carrying the stream. When it does, then presumably the PSB 3
versions will adopt the LCNs, and the COM 7 versions will get a
'graveyard' LCNs (normally 7XX)

Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?

<aa5pahtekrhmtf8fe84of3sasobrjlaenl@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33780&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33780

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 15:56:26 +0100
 by: Scott - Fri, 17 Jun 2022 14:56 UTC

On Fri, 17 Jun 2022 13:54:07 +0100, Mark Carver
<mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On 17/06/2022 10:21, SH wrote:

>>> They confirmed at a CAI event a few months ago that COM7 would cease
>>> next month. Apparently the channels that are on the mux are under no
>>> regulatory or contractual obligation to give notice to the viewers
>>> that they will cease on COM7, so some probably won't and just
>>> suddenly vanish.  At least Russia Today were overtaken by other events !

>>> Dunno/Can't say
>>
>> Any further news about the remaining channels on Com 7 apart from
>> Forces TV closing. BBC News 24 HD closing and the remaining BBC
>> channels moving to PSB3?
>>
>> I'm surprised at the lack of news given that Com 7 closure is 13 days
>> away.....
>>
>>  Normally one starts getting an onscreen message saying your TV (s)
>> will need returning on XX/YY/ZZ date.
>
>As I've said many times, the broadcasters on COM 7 are under no
>regulatory obligation to inform the viewer of anything.

Notwithstanding the absence of regulatory obligation, do broadcasters
not have a general duty to show consideration to the viewers? What's
to stop them adding a subtitle to say the service will close (or move)
on a certain date? In fact, what's to stop them closing early and
putting up a caption instead (as BBC Four does all day, saying
programmes will resume at 7 pm)?

>Forces TV have said they are closing, in fact their last programme ends
>at 11am on June 30th, which means they can probably run a caption
>explaining the situation until midnight.
>Possibly the other channels will do similar.
>
>The Beeb have announced the fate of BBC 4/Cbeebs and BBC News Ch, but
>I've not seen any warnings/info  pop up on screen yet.
>
>There won't be a retune notice about BBC 4/Cbeebs until PSB 3 is
>actually carrying the stream. When it does, then presumably the PSB 3
>versions will adopt the LCNs, and the COM 7 versions will get a
>'graveyard' LCNs (normally 7XX)

There is a mathematical neatness to this :-)

Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?

<t8i7uu$8iu$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33782&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33782

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 16:51:13 +0100
 by: NY - Fri, 17 Jun 2022 15:51 UTC

"Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Pity about Forces TV, since its often running old stuff nobody else does.
> I would imagine other channels will pick up the programs instead though.
> How many people in the UK do not get these channels and only get the main
> ones. I'm really surprised that there are so many hd shopping channels it
> would seem rather a forgotten way to get offers given the internet being
> so popular.

Is it pure chance that Forces TV is closing completely (including on
satellite 11836H) at the same time as they are losing their slot on COM7? I
wonder if they decided that the advertising revenue from satellite only
wasn't enough to pay their bills. Shame. I'd much rather a few shopping or
religious channels had closed instead.

Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?

<t8imvh$jf6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33784&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33784

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 21:08:17 +0100
 by: MB - Fri, 17 Jun 2022 20:08 UTC

They confirm that they are closing completely.

https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/forces-tv-is-closing

Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?

<t8k6d9$fuh$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33785&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33785

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 10:37:39 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 18 Jun 2022 09:37 UTC

Well, what is recent? It seems to me that the ramifications of giving more
space to other things has been kept from Joe Public deliberately.
I foresee a future of being back to four or five channels and all the
others gone or online.
Sat is a bit more of an unknown quantity, but maybe its the dish that put
people off or the unsuitability of the location or local bylaws.
Brian

--

--:
"Mark Carver" <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> On 17/06/2022 16:51, NY wrote:
>> "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Pity about Forces TV, since its often running old stuff nobody else
>>> does. I would imagine other channels will pick up the programs instead
>>> though. How many people in the UK do not get these channels and only get
>>> the main ones. I'm really surprised that there are so many hd shopping
>>> channels it would seem rather a forgotten way to get offers given the
>>> internet being so popular.
>>
>> Is it pure chance that Forces TV is closing completely (including on
>> satellite 11836H) at the same time as they are losing their slot on COM7?
>
> The closure of COM 7 seems to be the catalyst for Forces TV to throw in
> the towel. I suspect their viewer base is predominately Freeview.
>
> Don't forget it's been known for 2 or 3 years that the 'back stop' for COM
> 7 is June 2022, so they may well have decided months ago to give up this
> month, and adjusted their contracts with Sky and Freesat accordingly well
> in advance.
>
> Don't assume any of this is a recent decision.

Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?

<t8k65c$ebb$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33786&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33786

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 10:33:25 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 18 Jun 2022 09:33 UTC

I only see one religious channel. If you ever watch it its perfectly clear
that many people though no doubt genuine about their faith, are not living
in the world the rest of us inhabit at all!

I cannot understand the closure of News 24 though, since there seem then
only to be right wing outlets, SKY and GB.
Brian

--

--:
"NY" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote in message
> "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Pity about Forces TV, since its often running old stuff nobody else does.
>> I would imagine other channels will pick up the programs instead though.
>> How many people in the UK do not get these channels and only get the main
>> ones. I'm really surprised that there are so many hd shopping channels it
>> would seem rather a forgotten way to get offers given the internet being
>> so popular.
>
> Is it pure chance that Forces TV is closing completely (including on
> satellite 11836H) at the same time as they are losing their slot on COM7?
> I wonder if they decided that the advertising revenue from satellite only
> wasn't enough to pay their bills. Shame. I'd much rather a few shopping or
> religious channels had closed instead.

Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?

<t8k6k5$hd5$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33787&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33787

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 10:41:18 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 18 Jun 2022 09:41 UTC

I've already got a smattering of 700/800 channels already here. I notice one
of them is one of the adult channels which of course are a joke in any case.
Brian

--

--:
> On 17/06/2022 10:21, SH wrote:

>>> They confirmed at a CAI event a few months ago that COM7 would cease
>>> next month. Apparently the channels that are on the mux are under no
>>> regulatory or contractual obligation to give notice to the viewers that
>>> they will cease on COM7, so some probably won't and just suddenly
>>> vanish. At least Russia Today were overtaken by other events !

>>> Dunno/Can't say
>>
>> Any further news about the remaining channels on Com 7 apart from Forces
>> TV closing. BBC News 24 HD closing and the remaining BBC channels moving
>> to PSB3?
>>
>> I'm surprised at the lack of news given that Com 7 closure is 13 days
>> away.....
>>
>> Normally one starts getting an onscreen message saying your TV (s) will
>> need returning on XX/YY/ZZ date.
>
> As I've said many times, the broadcasters on COM 7 are under no regulatory
> obligation to inform the viewer of anything.
>
> Forces TV have said they are closing, in fact their last programme ends at
> 11am on June 30th, which means they can probably run a caption explaining
> the situation until midnight.
> Possibly the other channels will do similar.
>
> The Beeb have announced the fate of BBC 4/Cbeebs and BBC News Ch, but I've
> not seen any warnings/info pop up on screen yet.
>
> There won't be a retune notice about BBC 4/Cbeebs until PSB 3 is actually
> carrying the stream. When it does, then presumably the PSB 3 versions will
> adopt the LCNs, and the COM 7 versions will get a 'graveyard' LCNs
> (normally 7XX)

Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?

<jh5l1jF4kc7U2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33788&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33788

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 10:43:14 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 18 Jun 2022 09:43 UTC

Brian Gaff wrote:

> I cannot understand the closure of News 24 though

It'll still exist as SD on freeview and both HD and SD on freesat

Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?

<jh5rg5F6g4gU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33794&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33794

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 12:33:25 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Sat, 18 Jun 2022 11:33 UTC

On 18/06/2022 10:33, Brian Gaff wrote:

> I cannot understand the closure of News 24 though,
BBC News 24 closed over 14 years ago, it was replaced by the BBC News
Channel :-)

Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?

<t8kdja$2re$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33795&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33795

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 11:40:26 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:M9UIR4IaD3nqKikQGE1g36QMzxA=
 by: Tweed - Sat, 18 Jun 2022 11:40 UTC

Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 18/06/2022 10:33, Brian Gaff wrote:
>>
>> I cannot understand the closure of News 24 though,
> BBC News 24 closed over 14 years ago, it was replaced by the BBC News
> Channel :-)

Same thing though isn’t it? Just a rebrand. You could equally well argue
that BBC1 closed down in favour of BBC One.

Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?

<jh5sh8F6lvnU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33796&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33796

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 12:51:03 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Sat, 18 Jun 2022 11:51 UTC

On 18/06/2022 12:40, Tweed wrote:
> Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On 18/06/2022 10:33, Brian Gaff wrote:
>>> I cannot understand the closure of News 24 though,
>> BBC News 24 closed over 14 years ago, it was replaced by the BBC News
>> Channel :-)
>>
> Same thing though isn’t it? Just a rebrand. You could equally well argue
> that BBC1 closed down in favour of BBC One.

Lighten up,  why do you think I added a smiley ?

Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?

<t8kepa$bar$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33797&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33797

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 12:00:42 -0000 (UTC)
<jh5sh8F6lvnU1@mid.individual.net>
sha1:bQwuSTC0olnDB1aiNgy+gXRGrb4=
 by: Tweed - Sat, 18 Jun 2022 12:00 UTC

Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 18/06/2022 12:40, Tweed wrote:
>> Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>> BBC News 24 closed over 14 years ago, it was replaced by the BBC News
>>> Channel :-)
>>>
>> Same thing though isn’t it? Just a rebrand. You could equally well argue
>> that BBC1 closed down in favour of BBC One.
>>
> Lighten up,  why do you think I added a smiley ?

Sorry, wasn’t really aimed at you. Just my general grumpiness about
rebranding exercises. Pleased to see the new news studio got some flack on
Newswatch this morning. I liked the theory from one viewer that it was all
about increasing Huw Edwards’ step count.

Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?

<jh5tbfF6q73U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33798&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33798

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 13:05:03 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Sat, 18 Jun 2022 12:05 UTC

On 18/06/2022 13:00, Tweed wrote:
> Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>>>
>>> Same thing though isn’t it? Just a rebrand. You could equally well argue
>>> that BBC1 closed down in favour of BBC One.
>>>
>> Lighten up,  why do you think I added a smiley ?
>>
> Sorry, wasn’t really aimed at you. Just my general grumpiness about
> rebranding exercises. Pleased to see the new news studio got some flack on
> Newswatch this morning. I liked the theory from one viewer that it was all
> about increasing Huw Edwards’ step count.

Ha, don't worry I still refer to it News 24, and actually a lot of
people still do. Remarkable really, because it only lasted 10 years as
News 24, is been called News Channel for 14.

Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?

<t8kt67$f4e$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33804&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33804

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 17:06:32 +0100
 by: MB - Sat, 18 Jun 2022 16:06 UTC

On 18/06/2022 12:33, Mark Carver wrote:
> BBC News 24 closed over 14 years ago, it was replaced by the BBC News
> Channel:-)

But many people still refer to it as BBC News 24 otherwise if you say
"BBC news", people do not know if you are referring to that channel or
just one of the BBC radio and TV news programmes.

Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?

<t8ktaj$f4e$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33805&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33805

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 17:08:52 +0100
 by: MB - Sat, 18 Jun 2022 16:08 UTC

On 18/06/2022 13:00, Tweed wrote:
> Sorry, wasn’t really aimed at you. Just my general grumpiness about
> rebranding exercises. Pleased to see the new news studio got some flack on
> Newswatch this morning. I liked the theory from one viewer that it was all
> about increasing Huw Edwards’ step count.

Some still talk about the Home Service and Light Programme, is it Radio
1 or Radio One now?

Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?

<t8ktm0$jkk$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33806&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33806

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 16:14:56 -0000 (UTC)
<jh5sh8F6lvnU1@mid.individual.net>
<t8kepa$bar$1@dont-email.me>
<t8ktaj$f4e$2@dont-email.me>
sha1:yPlMG+7zjq6ZHiree5GiXw7X878=
 by: Tweed - Sat, 18 Jun 2022 16:14 UTC

MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:
> On 18/06/2022 13:00, Tweed wrote:
>> Sorry, wasn’t really aimed at you. Just my general grumpiness about
>> rebranding exercises. Pleased to see the new news studio got some flack on
>> Newswatch this morning. I liked the theory from one viewer that it was all
>> about increasing Huw Edwards’ step count.
>
> Some still talk about the Home Service and Light Programme, is it Radio
> 1 or Radio One now?

Nothing so crass as Radio 1 in the days of the Home Service and Light
Programme.

Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?

<jh6cj2Fbt0gU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33807&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33807

From: void-inv...@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 17:25:06 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Sat, 18 Jun 2022 16:25 UTC

On 17/06/2022 17:00, Mark Carver wrote:
> On 17/06/2022 16:51, NY wrote:
>> "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Pity about Forces TV, since its often running old stuff nobody else
>>> does. I would imagine other channels will pick up the programs
>>> instead though. How many people in the UK do not get these channels
>>> and only get the main ones. I'm really surprised that there are so
>>> many hd shopping channels it would seem rather a forgotten way to get
>>> offers given the internet being so popular.
>>
>> Is it pure chance that Forces TV is closing completely (including on
>> satellite 11836H) at the same time as they are losing their slot on COM7?
>
> The closure of COM 7 seems to be the catalyst for Forces TV to throw in
> the towel. I suspect their viewer base is predominately Freeview.
>
> Don't forget it's been known for 2 or 3 years that the 'back stop' for
> COM 7 is June 2022, so they may well have decided months ago to give up
> this month, and  adjusted their contracts with Sky and Freesat
> accordingly well in advance.
>
> Don't assume any of this is a recent decision.

Surely the costs of running the channel should be way if they just
stayed on satellite?

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: Any "new" News on Mux 7?

<jh6cp7Fbt0gU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33808&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33808

From: void-inv...@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 17:28:23 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Sat, 18 Jun 2022 16:28 UTC

On 17/06/2022 17:00, Mark Carver wrote:
> On 17/06/2022 16:51, NY wrote:
>> "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Pity about Forces TV, since its often running old stuff nobody else
>>> does. I would imagine other channels will pick up the programs
>>> instead though. How many people in the UK do not get these channels
>>> and only get the main ones. I'm really surprised that there are so
>>> many hd shopping channels it would seem rather a forgotten way to get
>>> offers given the internet being so popular.
>>
>> Is it pure chance that Forces TV is closing completely (including on
>> satellite 11836H) at the same time as they are losing their slot on COM7?
>
> The closure of COM 7 seems to be the catalyst for Forces TV to throw in
> the towel. I suspect their viewer base is predominately Freeview.
>
> Don't forget it's been known for 2 or 3 years that the 'back stop' for
> COM 7 is June 2022, so they may well have decided months ago to give up
> this month, and  adjusted their contracts with Sky and Freesat
> accordingly well in advance.
>
> Don't assume any of this is a recent decision.

Surely the costs of running the channel should be way lower if they just
stayed on satellite?

--
Brian Gregory (in England).