Nothing recedes like success. -- Walter Winchell

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: Anyone familiar with Panasonic PVRs

SubjectAuthor
* Anyone familiar with Panasonic PVRsMB
+- Re: Anyone familiar with Panasonic PVRsJava Jive
+- Re: Anyone familiar with Panasonic PVRsMax Demian
+* Re: Anyone familiar with Panasonic PVRsIndy Jess John
|+* Re: Anyone familiar with Panasonic PVRsMB
||`* Re: Anyone familiar with Panasonic PVRsIndy Jess John
|| `- Re: Anyone familiar with Panasonic PVRsIndy Jess John
|`* Re: Anyone familiar with Panasonic PVRsRichard Tobin
| `* Re: Anyone familiar with Panasonic PVRsMB
|  `- Re: Anyone familiar with Panasonic PVRsJava Jive
`* Re: Anyone familiar with Panasonic PVRsJava Jive
 `* Re: Anyone familiar with Panasonic PVRsRichard Tobin
  `- Re: Anyone familiar with Panasonic PVRsJava Jive

1
Anyone familiar with Panasonic PVRs

<t5m2gg$r9$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33162&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33162

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Anyone familiar with Panasonic PVRs
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 17:54:41 +0100
 by: MB - Fri, 13 May 2022 16:54 UTC

I have two Panasonic PVRs, my first was A SD PVR, DMR EX773, then later
I got a HD one BWT 800.

I sent some DVDs to a friend overseas earlier in the year and she
problems with one. I have some more to send so I wanted to check on a
second PVR to be sure they are OK (I usually use a very old DVD player
to check).

I have been trying to change the code in the DMR EX773 remote control (I
had been using on the BWT 800). But I cannot get it to chand (I have
done it previously).

I must be doing something silly but can't figure what. Anyone familiar
with these who can suggest something I might have overlooked!

Re: Anyone familiar with Panasonic PVRs

<t5m35t$66s$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33163&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33163

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Anyone familiar with Panasonic PVRs
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 18:05:57 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Fri, 13 May 2022 17:05 UTC

On 13/05/2022 17:54, MB wrote:

> I have two Panasonic PVRs, my first was A SD PVR, DMR EX773, then later
> I got a HD one BWT 800.

I only ever had a DMR series one, so can't comment on the latter ...

> I sent some DVDs to a friend overseas earlier in the year and she
> problems with one.  I have some more to send so I wanted to check on a
> second PVR to be sure they are OK (I usually use a very old DVD player
> to check).

Are these shop-bought commercial DVDs or home-made ones using the above
machines? In what follows, I assume the latter ...

> I have been trying to change the code in the DMR EX773 remote control (I
> had been using on the BWT 800).  But I cannot get it to chand (I have
> done it previously).
>
> I must be doing something silly but can't figure what.  Anyone familiar
> with these who can suggest something I might have overlooked!

On the DMR series, if you wish to make a DVD from a programme, you have
to ensure that the entirety of the recording is done at the same
resolution. There is setting on the machine that switches between
variable and fixed resolutions, and it must be set to fixed. See the
first section of my notes here:

https://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/AudioVisualTV/PanasonicDMRE100H/PanasonicDMRE100HDVDRAMToPC.html

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Anyone familiar with Panasonic PVRs

<scWdnf5QdLOpNeP_nZ2dnUU7-bvNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33165&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33165

Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 19:49:22 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
 by: Max Demian - Fri, 13 May 2022 18:49 UTC

On 13/05/2022 17:54, MB wrote:
> I have two Panasonic PVRs, my first was A SD PVR, DMR EX773, then later
> I got a HD one BWT 800.
>
> I sent some DVDs to a friend overseas earlier in the year and she
> problems with one.  I have some more to send so I wanted to check on a
> second PVR to be sure they are OK (I usually use a very old DVD player
> to check).

I assume you are "finalising" the DVDs. Testing them on another recorder
of the same make might not be a good test, as it might work anyway, even
if not finalised. Don't you have anything else to test them on, such as
a computer with a DVD drive?

> I have been trying to change the code in the DMR EX773 remote control (I
> had been using on the BWT 800).  But I cannot get it to chand (I have
> done it previously).

I've never had to do that. I have remotes for two Panasonic recorders
and they have the same codes; I think the only thing you can change is
the codes for the TV buttons.

--
Max Demian

Re: Anyone familiar with Panasonic PVRs

<t5mdej$q44$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33166&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33166

From: bathwatc...@OMITTHISgooglemail.com (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 21:01:23 +0100
 by: Indy Jess John - Fri, 13 May 2022 20:01 UTC

On 13/05/2022 17:54, MB wrote:
> I have two Panasonic PVRs, my first was A SD PVR, DMR EX773, then later
> I got a HD one BWT 800.
>
> I sent some DVDs to a friend overseas earlier in the year and she
> problems with one.  I have some more to send so I wanted to check on a
> second PVR to be sure they are OK (I usually use a very old DVD player
> to check).
>
> I have been trying to change the code in the DMR EX773 remote control (I
> had been using on the BWT 800).  But I cannot get it to chand (I have
> done it previously).
>
> I must be doing something silly but can't figure what.  Anyone familiar
> with these who can suggest something I might have overlooked!

According to the manual for the EX77EB (which can't be much different to
the EX773), this is how you pair a remote to another PVR:

If your remote currently controls the BWT800, point it at the EX773 and
press any key on the remote (I use the "Status i" button because that
can't do any harm). The display on the PVR should show DVDn where n is a
number. Make a note of the number.
On the remote, while pressing and holding OK, press and hold the number
button corresponding to n for more than 5 seconds, then let both buttons
go. Then press OK briefly.
The EX773 should then respond to the remote.

Jim

Re: Anyone familiar with Panasonic PVRs

<t5mepe$3fc$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33167&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33167

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 21:24:15 +0100
 by: MB - Fri, 13 May 2022 20:24 UTC

On 13/05/2022 21:01, Indy Jess John wrote:
> According to the manual for the EX77EB (which can't be much different to
> the EX773), this is how you pair a remote to another PVR:
>
> If your remote currently controls the BWT800, point it at the EX773 and
> press any key on the remote (I use the "Status i" button because that
> can't do any harm). The display on the PVR should show DVDn where n is a
> number. Make a note of the number.
> On the remote, while pressing and holding OK, press and hold the number
> button corresponding to n for more than 5 seconds, then let both buttons
> go. Then press OK briefly.
> The EX773 should then respond to the remote.

Thanks I have the handbook and have done it in the past but not working
this time. I am obviously doing something wrong.

Re: Anyone familiar with Panasonic PVRs

<t5mg4u$cna$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33168&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33168

From: bathwatc...@OMITTHISgooglemail.com (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 21:47:27 +0100
 by: Indy Jess John - Fri, 13 May 2022 20:47 UTC

On 13/05/2022 21:24, MB wrote:
> On 13/05/2022 21:01, Indy Jess John wrote:
>> According to the manual for the EX77EB (which can't be much different to
>> the EX773), this is how you pair a remote to another PVR:
>>
>> If your remote currently controls the BWT800, point it at the EX773 and
>> press any key on the remote (I use the "Status i" button because that
>> can't do any harm). The display on the PVR should show DVDn where n is a
>> number. Make a note of the number.
>> On the remote, while pressing and holding OK, press and hold the number
>> button corresponding to n for more than 5 seconds, then let both buttons
>> go. Then press OK briefly.
>> The EX773 should then respond to the remote.
>
> Thanks I have the handbook and have done it in the past but not working
> this time.  I am obviously doing something wrong.

Have you got weak batteries? A quick press might operate, but holding
buttons for seconds might exhaust the power available.

Jim

Re: Anyone familiar with Panasonic PVRs

<t5mh7g$kc8$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33169&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33169

From: bathwatc...@OMITTHISgooglemail.com (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 22:05:53 +0100
 by: Indy Jess John - Fri, 13 May 2022 21:05 UTC

On 13/05/2022 21:47, Indy Jess John wrote:
> On 13/05/2022 21:24, MB wrote:
>> On 13/05/2022 21:01, Indy Jess John wrote:
>>> According to the manual for the EX77EB (which can't be much different to
>>> the EX773), this is how you pair a remote to another PVR:
>>>
>>> If your remote currently controls the BWT800, point it at the EX773 and
>>> press any key on the remote (I use the "Status i" button because that
>>> can't do any harm). The display on the PVR should show DVDn where n is a
>>> number. Make a note of the number.
>>> On the remote, while pressing and holding OK, press and hold the number
>>> button corresponding to n for more than 5 seconds, then let both buttons
>>> go. Then press OK briefly.
>>> The EX773 should then respond to the remote.
>>
>> Thanks I have the handbook and have done it in the past but not
>> working this time.  I am obviously doing something wrong.
>
> Have you got weak batteries? A quick press might operate, but holding
> buttons for seconds might exhaust the power available.
>
> Jim

One further thought - are you using the native Panasonic EX773 remote or
one of the Universal alternatives? If an alternative, are the two PVRs
using the same connection code?

Jim

Re: Anyone familiar with Panasonic PVRs

<t5mhl0$1hdf$1@macpro.inf.ed.ac.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33170&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33170

From: rich...@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 21:13:04 +0000 (UTC)
Originator: richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin)
 by: Richard Tobin - Fri, 13 May 2022 21:13 UTC

In article <t5mdej$q44$1@dont-email.me>,
Indy Jess John <bathwatchdog@OMITTHISgooglemail.com> wrote:
>On the remote, while pressing and holding OK, press and hold the number
>button corresponding to n for more than 5 seconds, then let both buttons
>go. Then press OK briefly.

The instructions for mine (a different model) are ambiguous: it's not
clear whether you are supposed to press OK again for 5 seconds after
pressing OK and the number together, before pressing OK briefly. Might
be worth a try.

-- Richard

Re: Anyone familiar with Panasonic PVRs

<t5mjpc$55r$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33171&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33171

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 22:49:34 +0100
 by: MB - Fri, 13 May 2022 21:49 UTC

On 13/05/2022 22:13, Richard Tobin wrote:
> The instructions for mine (a different model) are ambiguous: it's not
> clear whether you are supposed to press OK again for 5 seconds after
> pressing OK and the number together, before pressing OK briefly. Might
> be worth a try.

For the record
The remotes are the original Panasonic ones and batteries new.

I similarly thought the instructions rather ambiguous so did a few
permutation of alternatives.

Re: Anyone familiar with Panasonic PVRs

<t5mk3v$7ep$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33172&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33172

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 22:55:08 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Fri, 13 May 2022 21:55 UTC

On 13/05/2022 22:49, MB wrote:

> On 13/05/2022 22:13, Richard Tobin wrote:
>>
>> The instructions for mine (a different model) are ambiguous: it's not
>> clear whether you are supposed to press OK again for 5 seconds after
>> pressing OK and the number together, before pressing OK briefly.  Might
>> be worth a try.
>
> For the record
> The remotes are the original Panasonic ones and batteries new.
>
> I similarly thought the instructions rather ambiguous so did a few
> permutation of alternatives.

As I presume this is a one-off setting change to Fixed Resolution, why
not just use the buttons on the unit's front panel?

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Anyone familiar with Panasonic PVRs

<t5mkft$d72$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33173&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33173

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 23:01:27 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Fri, 13 May 2022 22:01 UTC

On 13/05/2022 17:54, MB wrote:

> I have been trying to change the code in the DMR EX773 remote control (I
> had been using on the BWT 800).  But I cannot get it to chand (I have
> done it previously).

Reading this again, do you mean that you're trying to change the Region
Code of your player? You are aware that you can only do this a limited
number of times, I think 3? It would be better to ensure that you only
send your friend DVDs encoded for their region or for 'All'

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Anyone familiar with Panasonic PVRs

<t5mnae$1kj9$1@macpro.inf.ed.ac.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33174&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33174

From: rich...@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 22:49:50 +0000 (UTC)
Originator: richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin)
 by: Richard Tobin - Fri, 13 May 2022 22:49 UTC

In article <t5mkft$d72$1@dont-email.me>,
Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote:
>Reading this again, do you mean that you're trying to change the Region
>Code of your player?

No, he's trying to change the channel used to communicate between the
remote and the player. You might need to do this if you had two
players in the same room so that one remote controls one and the other
the other.

-- Richard

Re: Anyone familiar with Panasonic PVRs

<t5mqaq$eg3$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33175&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33175

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 00:41:12 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Fri, 13 May 2022 23:41 UTC

On 13/05/2022 23:49, Richard Tobin wrote:

> In article <t5mkft$d72$1@dont-email.me>,
> Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> Reading this again, do you mean that you're trying to change the Region
>> Code of your player?
>
> No, he's trying to change the channel used to communicate between the
> remote and the player. You might need to do this if you had two
> players in the same room so that one remote controls one and the other
> the other.

Ah, but if that's the only problem, then why muddy the waters by
mentioning DVDs at all?

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk