From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Effective: NIN filters
Date: 1 Dec 2023 15:41:44 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 15:41 UTC

Google Groups is showing 33 posts by Mason since the clampdown by Usenet
server operators a week ago, only two of which have made it past NIN’s
filters. They are buried in among what might be a couple of hundred spam
postings.

Well done NIN!

It makes a mockery of Mason’s claim to diminish ‘the trolls’ by flooding
the group with irrelevant postings (aka ‘trolling’) designed to deflect
attention from them…but he’s now shouting in a vacuum and no-one can hear
him.

And the spammers, who, like Mason, are stuck in transmit mode, are shouting
at each other but no-one is listening…

--
Spike

Re: Effective: NIN filters

<ksudljF7jneU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33264&group=uk.rec.cycling#33264

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Effective: NIN filters
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 15:50:11 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 15:50 UTC

On 01/12/2023 03:41 pm, Spike wrote:

> Google Groups is showing 33 posts by Mason since the clampdown by Usenet
> server operators a week ago, only two of which have made it past NIN’s
> filters. They are buried in among what might be a couple of hundred spam
> postings.
>
> Well done NIN!
>
> It makes a mockery of Mason’s claim to diminish ‘the trolls’ by flooding
> the group with irrelevant postings (aka ‘trolling’) designed to deflect
> attention from them…but he’s now shouting in a vacuum and no-one can hear
> him.
>
> And the spammers, who, like Mason, are stuck in transmit mode, are shouting
> at each other but no-one is listening…

Has NIN simply blocked all posts made via Google Groups?

Re: Effective: NIN filters

<ksugjcF8c53U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33265&group=uk.rec.cycling#33265

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 1 Dec 2023 16:40:12 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 16:40 UTC

JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
> On 01/12/2023 03:41 pm, Spike wrote:
>>
>> Google Groups is showing 33 posts by Mason since the clampdown by Usenet
>> server operators a week ago, only two of which have made it past NIN’s
>> filters. They are buried in among what might be a couple of hundred spam
>> postings.
>>
>> Well done NIN!
>>
>> It makes a mockery of Mason’s claim to diminish ‘the trolls’ by flooding
>> the group with irrelevant postings (aka ‘trolling’) designed to deflect
>> attention from them…but he’s now shouting in a vacuum and no-one can hear
>> him.
>>
>> And the spammers, who, like Mason, are stuck in transmit mode, are shouting
>> at each other but no-one is listening…
>
> Has NIN simply blocked all posts made via Google Groups?

I’m guessing so, I don’t normally check headers but it’s noticeable in the
groups I take that the posting rates have reduced.

I think Eternal September users were saying much the same some days ago.

Google Groups seems to have been taking a pasting for their indifference to
putting out so much Usenet spam, probably because they can’t monetise
Usenet and so don’t care about it.

--
Spike

Re: Effective: NIN filters

<ksui06F8la1U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33266&group=uk.rec.cycling#33266

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 17:04:06 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 17:04 UTC

On 01/12/2023 04:40 pm, Spike wrote:

> JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
>> On 01/12/2023 03:41 pm, Spike wrote:
>
>>> Google Groups is showing 33 posts by Mason since the clampdown by Usenet
>>> server operators a week ago, only two of which have made it past NIN’s
>>> filters. They are buried in among what might be a couple of hundred spam
>>> postings.
>
>>> Well done NIN!
>
>>> It makes a mockery of Mason’s claim to diminish ‘the trolls’ by flooding
>>> the group with irrelevant postings (aka ‘trolling’) designed to deflect
>>> attention from them…but he’s now shouting in a vacuum and no-one can hear
>>> him.
>
>>> And the spammers, who, like Mason, are stuck in transmit mode, are shouting
>>> at each other but no-one is listening…
>
>> Has NIN simply blocked all posts made via Google Groups?
>
> I’m guessing so, I don’t normally check headers but it’s noticeable in the
> groups I take that the posting rates have reduced.
>
> I think Eternal September users were saying much the same some days ago.
>
> Google Groups seems to have been taking a pasting for their indifference to
> putting out so much Usenet spam, probably because they can’t monetise
> Usenet and so don’t care about it.

Oooh... that must be *so* frustrating for would-be ukrc posters who use
Google Groups (with or without a custom-written "killfile")!

Re: Effective: NIN filters

<ksv2lbFci8fU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33267&group=uk.rec.cycling#33267

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 1 Dec 2023 21:48:27 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 21:48 UTC

JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
> On 01/12/2023 04:40 pm, Spike wrote:
>
>> JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:

>>> Has NIN simply blocked all posts made via Google Groups?
>>
>> I’m guessing so, I don’t normally check headers but it’s noticeable in the
>> groups I take that the posting rates have reduced.
>>
>> I think Eternal September users were saying much the same some days ago.
>>
>> Google Groups seems to have been taking a pasting for their indifference to
>> putting out so much Usenet spam, probably because they can’t monetise
>> Usenet and so don’t care about it.
>
> Oooh... that must be *so* frustrating for would-be ukrc posters who use
> Google Groups (with or without a custom-written "killfile")!

Only three OT posts in eight days…hardly a tsunami of troll-defeating[1]
posts…

[1] where ‘troll-defeating’ means OT posts by Mason to flood out the
cycling-related posts.

--
Spike