Reappraisal, n.: An abrupt change of mind after being found out.

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: Freeview radio and tv sound mismatch

SubjectAuthor
* Freeview radio and tv sound mismatchBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
+* Re: Freeview radio and tv sound mismatchDavid Woolley
|`- Re: Freeview radio and tv sound mismatchBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
`* Re: Freeview radio and tv sound mismatchJeff Gaines
 `* Re: Freeview radio and tv sound mismatchBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
  `- Re: Freeview radio and tv sound mismatchBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)

1
Freeview radio and tv sound mismatch

<t6ad2p$m74$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33283&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33283

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Freeview radio and tv sound mismatch
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 10:57:39 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Sat, 21 May 2022 09:57 UTC

I'm sure we have discussed this before, but my Samsung, but this is not just
them, is extremely on radio stations compared to the audio from tv. Also
loud is the Alexa played stations and the start and shut down sounds of the
set.

This makes balancing up the levels of different inputs to my stereo very
difficult indeed. One might have thought that it was not beyond the designs
of the system to at least specify the audio mean levels to be more in the
same range. At least 6 to 12 DB difference tends to be the norm.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Re: Freeview radio and tv sound mismatch

<t6ag6r$b83$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33284&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33284

From: dav...@ex.djwhome.demon.invalid (David Woolley)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Freeview radio and tv sound mismatch
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 11:51:06 +0100
 by: David Woolley - Sat, 21 May 2022 10:51 UTC

On 21/05/2022 10:57, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
> I'm sure we have discussed this before, but my Samsung, but this is not just
> them, is extremely on radio stations compared to the audio from tv. Also
> loud is the Alexa played stations and the start and shut down sounds of the
> set.

A lot of words seem to have fallen down the the back of your sofa, but
guessing what they were, I think this is really about dynamic range.
Radio tends to be use for talking (disembodied) heads and pop music,
both or which have intrinsically low dynamic ranges. It it also often
used in cars, where there is not much headroom between being loud enough
to be heard above the engine and road noise, and so loud that it is
dangerous to hearing, and also upsets your situational awareness of
external noises.

It is a more likely to be listened to on head phones, where large
transients are disturbing to people nearby and dangerous to hearing.

TV is much likely to be used for drama, in which wide variations in
level are normal. Radio is also used for classical music, which does
have a large dynamic range, but maybe this is considered a minority use.

As a result, radio is probably operated with more compression and less
available headroom. Even though some of these issues only apply to DAB
and FM, the same basic feed is probably provided for all of them.

Re: Freeview radio and tv sound mismatch

<xn0ni4p5a5ocgbz009@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33285&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33285

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: 21 May 2022 11:50:28 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sat, 21 May 2022 11:50 UTC

I have a Panasonic Blu Ray player, Roku Box and Freesat plugged into (and
switched by) my Yamaha amp. Not only does volume differ between each
device but also between different formats on the same device - e.g. live
programmes at one level then a recorded programme at another.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation

On 21/05/2022 in message <t6ad2p$m74$1@dont-email.me> Brian Gaff (Sofa)
wrote:

>I'm sure we have discussed this before, but my Samsung, but this is not
>just them, is extremely on radio stations compared to the audio from tv.
>Also loud is the Alexa played stations and the start and shut down sounds
>of the set.
>
>This makes balancing up the levels of different inputs to my stereo very
>difficult indeed. One might have thought that it was not beyond the
>designs of the system to at least specify the audio mean levels to be more
>in the same range. At least 6 to 12 DB difference tends to be the norm.
>Brian

Re: Freeview radio and tv sound mismatch

<t6cuou$c2h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33286&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33286

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 10:11:57 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Sun, 22 May 2022 09:11 UTC

I don't think that is the whole story here though. It just seems that the
peaks are lower. IE an explosion on tv is never as loud as on radio.

I'd have thought that something that took into account the dynamics might
be a good idea. After all adverts, often said to be over loud on TV, are
nowhere near as loud on the radio derived from the same commercial.
As for words disappearing, yes, I was probably typing too fast or the spell
chucker made bad choices.
Brian

--

--:
"David Woolley" <david@ex.djwhome.demon.invalid> wrote in message
> On 21/05/2022 10:57, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
>> I'm sure we have discussed this before, but my Samsung, but this is not
>> just
>> them, is extremely on radio stations compared to the audio from tv. Also
>> loud is the Alexa played stations and the start and shut down sounds of
>> the
>> set.
>
> A lot of words seem to have fallen down the the back of your sofa, but
> guessing what they were, I think this is really about dynamic range. Radio
> tends to be use for talking (disembodied) heads and pop music, both or
> which have intrinsically low dynamic ranges. It it also often used in
> cars, where there is not much headroom between being loud enough to be
> heard above the engine and road noise, and so loud that it is dangerous to
> hearing, and also upsets your situational awareness of external noises.
>
> It is a more likely to be listened to on head phones, where large
> transients are disturbing to people nearby and dangerous to hearing.
>
> TV is much likely to be used for drama, in which wide variations in level
> are normal. Radio is also used for classical music, which does have a
> large dynamic range, but maybe this is considered a minority use.
>
> As a result, radio is probably operated with more compression and less
> available headroom. Even though some of these issues only apply to DAB
> and FM, the same basic feed is probably provided for all of them.

Re: Freeview radio and tv sound mismatch

<t6cuva$d6s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33287&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33287

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 10:15:21 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Sun, 22 May 2022 09:15 UTC

I can only assume then that over the world there isa difference. I was
looking at the on line channels on the Samsung, and some of the music based
TV ones are also very variable. but there seems to be far more variation
than on film and drama channels.

I am loathe to suggest gain riding but I would suspect that some
broadcasters are already using it and you can hear it pumping.
Brian

--

--:
"Jeff Gaines" <jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> I have a Panasonic Blu Ray player, Roku Box and Freesat plugged into (and
> switched by) my Yamaha amp. Not only does volume differ between each
> device but also between different formats on the same device - e.g. live
> programmes at one level then a recorded programme at another.
>
> --
> Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
> There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation
>
> On 21/05/2022 in message <t6ad2p$m74$1@dont-email.me> Brian Gaff (Sofa)
> wrote:
>
>>I'm sure we have discussed this before, but my Samsung, but this is not
>>just them, is extremely on radio stations compared to the audio from tv.
>>Also loud is the Alexa played stations and the start and shut down sounds
>>of the set.
>>
>>This makes balancing up the levels of different inputs to my stereo very
>>difficult indeed. One might have thought that it was not beyond the
>>designs of the system to at least specify the audio mean levels to be more
>>in the same range. At least 6 to 12 DB difference tends to be the norm.
>>Brian

Re: Freeview radio and tv sound mismatch

<t6kqnh$4mh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33307&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33307

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 09:51:58 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Wed, 25 May 2022 08:51 UTC

I noticed another mismatch yesterday. I listened to In Touch in bed from the
podcast as they call it on bbc sounds via the Amazon Echo with the volume up
as it was so very quiet against other podcasts on the same platform.

However using the direct rss link to the same file one would suppose today,
I find it the same level as other feeds when on the computer. And no they
have not altered it since yesterday.
Obviously this has to be a function of how the same file is sent out from
their servers for different programmes and different devices, but from what
I can tell the Alexa device uses aac and the podcast is actually coming
down as mp3, so maybe there are indeed two files.
Brian

--

--: