Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 14:05:07 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Welsh drivers set to be fined for exceeding blanket 20mph speeding limit
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 22:05 UTC

The first drivers caught exceeding the controversial 20mph blanket speed limit in Wales are set to be fined tomorrow after the conclusion of a grace period.

The charges come as hundreds of thousands in Wales have signed a petition calling for the scrapping of what they describe as a “foolish idea”.

The Labour scheme came into effect in September, when most residential areas in the country had their 30pmh limits reduced by 10mph.

First minister Mark Drakeford first proposed the plan in May 2019 - and the Welsh government has insisted it will reduce crashes, save lives, cut noise pollution and encourage people to leave their cars at home and walk or cycle instead.

The Labour-run devolved government also wants to encourage more people to walk and cycle, improve health and wellbeing, and “safeguard the environment for future generations”.

But a “grace period” has been in place for three months to allow people to adjust to the change and to allow Highways authorities to adjust road signage and Traffic Regulation Orders (TROs).

In the meantime, a petition calling for a u-turn on the scheme has amassed more than 460,000 signatures.

The petition’s creator, Welshman Mark Baker, claims the incumbent government has failed to provide evidence that the speed limit reduction will save lives.

“The Welsh government has failed to produce any convincing evidence to support these claims of safety,” Mr Baker wrote.

“This law is being spearheaded by the WG Climate Change department and not Health & Safety!”

He added: “You have not listened to us. The Welsh government was put there by the people of Wales. We are your boss! We demand that this foolish idea be stopped.”

Enforcement thresholds for issuing tickets will be not less than 10 per cent plus 2mph, meaning that a driver can only be charged if they exceed 24mph..

But as the public transition to the change, police chiefs have increased the threshold to 26mph.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/wales-labour-speeding-fine-b2465251.html

MORE MAY SUN TROLLING: Welsh drivers set to be fined for exceeding blanket 20mph speeding limit

<ku6oo6FmnnkU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33368&group=uk.rec.cycling#33368

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: MORE MAY SUN TROLLING: Welsh drivers set to be fined for exceeding
blanket 20mph speeding limit
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 23:04:37 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 23:04 UTC

On 16/12/2023 10:05 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> The first drivers caught exceeding the controversial 20mph blanket speed limit in Wales are set to be fined tomorrow after the conclusion of a grace period.
>> The charges come as hundreds of thousands in Wales have signed a petition calling for the scrapping of what they describe as a “foolish idea”.
> The Labour scheme came into effect in September, when most residential areas in the country had their 30pmh limits reduced by 10mph.
> First minister Mark Drakeford first proposed the plan in May 2019 - and the Welsh government has insisted it will reduce crashes, save lives, cut noise pollution and encourage people to leave their cars at home and walk or cycle instead.
> The Labour-run devolved government also wants to encourage more people to walk and cycle, improve health and wellbeing, and “safeguard the environment for future generations”.
> But a “grace period” has been in place for three months to allow people to adjust to the change and to allow Highways authorities to adjust road signage and Traffic Regulation Orders (TROs).
> In the meantime, a petition calling for a u-turn on the scheme has amassed more than 460,000 signatures.
> The petition’s creator, Welshman Mark Baker, claims the incumbent government has failed to provide evidence that the speed limit reduction will save lives.
> “The Welsh government has failed to produce any convincing evidence to support these claims of safety,” Mr Baker wrote.
> “This law is being spearheaded by the WG Climate Change department and not Health & Safety!”
> He added: “You have not listened to us. The Welsh government was put there by the people of Wales. We are your boss! We demand that this foolish idea be stopped.”
> Enforcement thresholds for issuing tickets will be not less than 10 per cent plus 2mph, meaning that a driver can only be charged if they exceed 24mph.
> But as the public transition to the change, police chiefs have increased the threshold to 26mph.

> https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/wales-labour-speeding-fine-b2465251.html

Oh dear... yet another trolling post by May Sun.

100% off-topic for uk.rec.cycling and that's because there are no
chav-cyclists making an appearance (other than for May Sun himself).

Re: Welsh drivers set to be fined for exceeding blanket 20mph speeding limit

<5d4cc943-8ae8-4d33-b242-901402629cc3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33385&group=uk.rec.cycling#33385

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 01:13:16 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Welsh drivers set to be fined for exceeding blanket 20mph
speeding limit
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 09:13 UTC

On Saturday, December 16, 2023 at 10:05:08 PM UTC, Simon Mason wrote:
> The first drivers caught exceeding the controversial 20mph blanket speed limit in Wales are set to be fined tomorrow after the conclusion of a grace period.

"Grace period" for burglars as well?