[FORTRAN] will persist for some time -- probably for at least the next decade. -- T. Cheatham

aus+uk / uk.people.silversurfers / Lawn Mower

SubjectAuthor
* Lawn MowerJeff Gaines
+* Re: Lawn MowerIndy Jess John
|`* Re: Lawn Mowerboggy
| `- Re: Lawn MowerFlyi?g ?u? 2?22 +
+- Re: Lawn MowerPeter Hawkins
+- Re: Lawn Mowercharles
`* Re: Lawn MowerWho, me?
 `- Re: Lawn MowerFlyi?g ?u? 2?2? +

1
Lawn Mower

<xn0ndw22l7wtcem00d@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3336&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3336

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: Lawn Mower
Date: 8 Feb 2022 23:27:59 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 23:27 UTC

For the first time for 14 years I have a garden to look after and a lawn
to cut!

I have a gardener coming in to dig up and take away half a dozen or so
bushes (a couple 8' diameter) after which it's over to me.

I don't like Bosch equipment, it never seems very robust. Any thoughts on
Flymo corded mowers or a "Murray" mower that gets good reviews on Amazon
(can they be trusted?)

Any thoughts on mulching mowers or do I need to pay for a brown bin to
have cuttings taken away?

Thanks :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Every day is a good day for chicken, unless you're a chicken.

Re: Lawn Mower

<stv1b2$pv0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3337&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3337

From: bathwatc...@OMITTHISgooglemail.com (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: Re: Lawn Mower
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 00:19:47 +0000
 by: Indy Jess John - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 00:19 UTC

On 08/02/2022 23:27, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> For the first time for 14 years I have a garden to look after and a lawn
> to cut!
>
> I have a gardener coming in to dig up and take away half a dozen or so
> bushes (a couple 8' diameter) after which it's over to me.
>
> I don't like Bosch equipment, it never seems very robust. Any thoughts on
> Flymo corded mowers or a "Murray" mower that gets good reviews on Amazon
> (can they be trusted?)
>
> Any thoughts on mulching mowers or do I need to pay for a brown bin to
> have cuttings taken away?
>
> Thanks :-)

I have a Flymo with a metal blade. It mulches the grass as it cuts it so
you can leave the mulch on the lawn (though you can rake it up if you
wish). My mum had a Flymo with twin plastic (replaceable) blades. It
was crap - catch the edge of the path or a stone or twig from a tree on
the lawn and the blade shattered and needed replacing. So it isn't just
the make, it is the model that is also important.

The snag is that my Flymo was bought in 1979. I have resharpened the
blade a few times on an oilstone, and the thing seems to be lasting
forever. I have no idea whether the health and safety brigade still
allow metal blades on domestic mowers because you do have to be careful
not to be chopping your toes or chopping the mains lead. ALWAYS connect
the mower through a RCD protected mains outlet.

As a general rule, if the mower has a cuttings collection box, then you
will probably need either a brown bin or a garden compost bin.

As for Amazon reviews, I don't trust any of the 5* ones and the 1* ones
are usually someone who has ordered something unsuitable. I look at a
selection of 4*, 3* and 2* reviews. These are people who are not wholly
delighted, and I look at what they say are the problems and decide
whether they would affect me and if so, could I live with it?

Which? recommend Bosch, Wolf, Webb, Black&Decker, Flymo or Honda for
medium to large lawns and Wolf, Stihl, Gardena, Flymo or AL-KO for small
to medium lawns. There is no mention of the Murray brand anywhere in
their Best Buy lists, but it might just be too new to have been
reviewed. None of the recommended mowers are without snags, being
variously not good on rough grass or long grass or wet grass difficult
terrain or lawns with raised edges or having an inconvenient shortage of
cutting height options.

Your best bet might be to ask your new neighbours what they use to mow
their lawns and are they really happy with their choice. Your gardener
is worth asking too.

Jim

Re: Lawn Mower

<stv2o4$21i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3338&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3338

From: bog...@peatbogs.co.uk (boggy)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 00:43:40 +0000
 by: boggy - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 00:43 UTC

On 09/02/2022 00:19, Indy Jess John wrote:
> On 08/02/2022 23:27, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>
>> For the first time for 14 years I have a garden to look after and a lawn
>> to cut!
>>
>> I have a gardener coming in to dig up and take away half a dozen or so
>> bushes (a couple 8' diameter) after which it's over to me.
>>
>> I don't like Bosch equipment, it never seems very robust. Any thoughts on
>> Flymo corded mowers or a "Murray" mower that gets good reviews on Amazon
>> (can they be trusted?)
>>
>> Any thoughts on mulching mowers or do I need to pay for a brown bin to
>> have cuttings taken away?
>>
>> Thanks :-)
>>

> I have a Flymo with a metal blade. It mulches the grass as it cuts it so
> you can leave the mulch on the lawn (though you can rake it up if you
> wish).  My mum had a Flymo with twin plastic (replaceable) blades. It
> was crap - catch the edge of the path or a stone or twig from a tree on
> the lawn and the blade shattered and needed replacing.  So it isn't just
> the  make, it is the model that is also important.
>
> The snag is that my Flymo was bought in 1979. I have resharpened the
> blade a few times on an oilstone, and the thing seems to be lasting
> forever. I have no idea whether the health and safety brigade still
> allow metal blades on domestic mowers because you do have to be careful
> not to be chopping your toes or chopping the mains lead. ALWAYS connect
> the mower through a RCD protected mains outlet.
>

> Jim

I bought a new Bosch mower in September 2020 with metal blade, so metal
blades are still available! (This was, in fact, to replace my last
Flymo machine as they didn't ever seem to last long - the Bosch cuts
much better and is going well so far...)

I have no idea who or what Murray are :-(

--

boggy

Re: Lawn Mower

<su01qv$196b$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3339&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3339

From: phawk...@totalise.co.uk (Peter Hawkins)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 09:34:24 +0000
 by: Peter Hawkins - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 09:34 UTC

On 08/02/2022 23:27, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> For the first time for 14 years I have a garden to look after and a lawn
> to cut!
>
> I have a gardener coming in to dig up and take away half a dozen or so
> bushes (a couple 8' diameter) after which it's over to me.
>
> I don't like Bosch equipment, it never seems very robust. Any thoughts
> on Flymo corded mowers or a "Murray" mower that gets good reviews on
> Amazon (can they be trusted?)
>
> Any thoughts on mulching mowers or do I need to pay for a brown bin to
> have cuttings taken away?
>
> Thanks :-)

If you have space a compost bin is a much better choice compared to a
brown bin (my opinion, of course!). With a compost bin you can also
compost all vegetable kitchen waste and shredded (or cut up) cardboard
and paper waste, and get good, free, compost for use in other parts of
the garden.

--
Sent from my laptop.

Re: Lawn Mower

<59b7faf9c3charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3340&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3340

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 09:27:58 +0000 (GMT)
 by: charles - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 09:27 UTC

In article <xn0ndw22l7wtcem00d@news.individual.net>,
Jeff Gaines <jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> For the first time for 14 years I have a garden to look after and a lawn
> to cut!

> I have a gardener coming in to dig up and take away half a dozen or so
> bushes (a couple 8' diameter) after which it's over to me.

> I don't like Bosch equipment, it never seems very robust. Any thoughts on
> Flymo corded mowers or a "Murray" mower that gets good reviews on Amazon
> (can they be trusted?)

> Any thoughts on mulching mowers or do I need to pay for a brown bin to
> have cuttings taken away?

> Thanks :-)

I've had Honda mowers for many years

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Re: Lawn Mower

<j6hl09FebktU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3343&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3343

From: flying...@roseofwhite.plus.com (Flyi?g ?u? 2?22 +)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 10:57:18 -0000
 by: Flyi?g ?u? 2?22 + - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 10:57 UTC

boggy wrote:
> On 09/02/2022 00:19, Indy Jess John wrote:
>> On 08/02/2022 23:27, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>>
>>> For the first time for 14 years I have a garden to look after and a
>>> lawn to cut!
>>>
>>> I have a gardener coming in to dig up and take away half a dozen or
>>> so bushes (a couple 8' diameter) after which it's over to me.
>>>
>>> I don't like Bosch equipment, it never seems very robust. Any
>>> thoughts on Flymo corded mowers or a "Murray" mower that gets good
>>> reviews on Amazon (can they be trusted?)
>>>
>>> Any thoughts on mulching mowers or do I need to pay for a brown bin
>>> to have cuttings taken away?
>>>
>>> Thanks :-)
>>>

>> I have a Flymo with a metal blade. It mulches the grass as it cuts
>> it so you can leave the mulch on the lawn (though you can rake it up
>> if you wish). My mum had a Flymo with twin plastic (replaceable)
>> blades. It was crap - catch the edge of the path or a stone or twig
>> from a tree on the lawn and the blade shattered and needed
>> replacing. So it isn't just the make, it is the model that is also
>> important. The snag is that my Flymo was bought in 1979. I have
>> resharpened the
>> blade a few times on an oilstone, and the thing seems to be lasting
>> forever. I have no idea whether the health and safety brigade still
>> allow metal blades on domestic mowers because you do have to be
>> careful not to be chopping your toes or chopping the mains lead.
>> ALWAYS connect the mower through a RCD protected mains outlet.
>>

>> Jim
>>

> I bought a new Bosch mower in September 2020 with metal blade, so
> metal blades are still available! (This was, in fact, to replace my
> last Flymo machine as they didn't ever seem to last long - the Bosch
> cuts much better and is going well so far...)
>
> I have no idea who or what Murray are :-(

Popular mints aren't they??? LOL
--
Heard melodies are sweet but those Unheard are sweeter.
FN 2�22+. Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland..

Re: Lawn Mower

<su095v$mir$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3345&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3345

From: who...@me.nul (Who, me?)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 11:39:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Who, me? - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 11:39 UTC

On Tue, 08 Feb 2022 23:27:59 +0000, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> I don't like Bosch equipment, it never seems very robust. Any thoughts
> on Flymo corded mowers or a "Murray" mower that gets good reviews on
> Amazon (can they be trusted?)

Never heard of Murray. Son has a metal bladed Flymo which also collects
the cuttings and seems to work well when I've used it for him.

As mine is a ride-on mower I can't comment on any others.

> Any thoughts on mulching mowers or do I need to pay for a brown bin to
> have cuttings taken away?

On our lawns I simply let the cuttings drop and they 'disappear' even
though its not a mulching deck. BUT you have a dog and so you may find
that the cuttings get brought in on paws.

--
david

Re: Lawn Mower

<j6i4muFh9rsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3348&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3348

From: flying...@roseofwhite.plus.com (Flyi?g ?u? 2?2? +)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 15:25:28 -0000
 by: Flyi?g ?u? 2?2? + - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 15:25 UTC

Who, me? wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Feb 2022 23:27:59 +0000, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>
>> I don't like Bosch equipment, it never seems very robust. Any
>> thoughts on Flymo corded mowers or a "Murray" mower that gets good
>> reviews on Amazon (can they be trusted?)
>
> Never heard of Murray. Son has a metal bladed Flymo which also
> collects the cuttings and seems to work well when I've used it for
> him.
>
> As mine is a ride-on mower I can't comment on any others.
>>
>> Any thoughts on mulching mowers or do I need to pay for a brown bin
>> to have cuttings taken away?
>>
> On our lawns I simply let the cuttings drop and they 'disappear' even
> though its not a mulching deck. BUT you have a dog and so you may find
> that the cuttings get brought in on paws.

Neither had I. https://www.lionshome.co.uk/garden-lawn-mowers/murray/
But I have now !!
--
Heard messages are sweet but those Unheard are sweeter.
FN 2�2�+. Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland..