Never try to outstubborn a cat. -- Lazarus Long, "Time Enough for Love"

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Bolton driver caught speeding again after Mayoress's death

SubjectAuthor
* Bolton driver caught speeding again after Mayoress's deathSimon Mason
+- Re: Bolton fully-unqualified chav-cyclist caught speeding again afterJNugent
+* Re: Bolton driver caught speeding again after Mayoress's deathSimon Mason
|`- Re: Bolton unlicenced chav-cyclist caught speeding again afterJNugent
+* Re: Bolton driver caught speeding again after Mayoress's deathSimon Mason
|+- Re: Bolton chav-cyclist caught speeding again after Mayoress's deathJNugent
|`* Re: Bolton driver caught speeding again after Mayoress's deathSimon Mason
| `- Re: Bolton fully-unqualified chav-cyclist caught speeding again afterJNugent
+* Re: Bolton driver caught speeding again after Mayoress's deathSimon Mason
|`- Re: Bolton driver caught speeding again after Mayoress's deathJNugent
`* Re: Bolton driver caught speeding again after Mayoress's deathSimon Mason
 +* OFF-TOPIC TROLLING POST by MAY SUN (again): "Bolton driver caught speeding againJNugent
 |`- Re: OFF-TOPIC TROLLING POST by MAY SUN (again): "Bolton driver caught speeding aSpike
 `* Re: Bolton driver caught speeding again after Mayoress's deathSimon Mason
  +- Re: Bolton driver caught speeding again after Mayoress's deathJNugent
  `- Re: Bolton driver caught speeding again after Mayoress's deathSimon Mason

1
Bolton driver caught speeding again after Mayoress's death

<45ca36f1-8242-4034-ba2a-8f160987c567n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33565&group=uk.rec.cycling#33565

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 03:48:21 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Bolton driver caught speeding again after Mayoress's death
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 11:48 UTC

A drug dealer speeded and crashed into a bus just months after being released from prison for his part in killing an ex-Mayoress of Bolton.

Wasim Iqbal, 26, was jailed more than two years ago for causing death by dangerous driving after taking part in a race that killed former Mayoress Gay Wharton as she crossed Chorley New Road.

Bolton Crown Court heard that just months after Iqbal’s release this year, a BMW was seen by police being driven on July 5 on the very same road Mrs Wharton had been hit on.

Prosecutor Alison Whalley said: “There was intelligence to suggest it was being driven by the defendant and that the defendant was of course disqualified at the time.”

Iqbal had been jailed in June 2021 for four years and two months after pleading guilty to causing death by dangerous driving following Mrs Wharton’s death.

He had been racing the now 26-year-old Assad Hussain on Friday November 13 when Mrs Wharton was struck by Hussain’s car.

Both drivers fled the scene where 58-year-old Mrs Wharton, who served as the borough’s Mayoress in 2014, died of her injuries.

Hussain, of Maplewood Gardens, Halliwell, was jailed for seven years and four months after also pleading guilty to causing death by dangerous driving..

But as of this year, despite still serving a ban Iqbal, now of Chester Road, Manchester, was on the roads again when police gave chase on July 5.
He had been released halfway through his sentence and was on licence at the time.
Ms Whalley told the court how the 26-year-old reached speeds of up to 80mph and drove through three sets of traffic lights in a bid to escape the pursuing officers.

At one point he drove on the wrong side of a junction and up through a busy Bradshawgate before eventually hitting a bus, though he had slowed down by this point.

Iqbal and a group of other men fled the crashed BMW on foot before he was arrested.

The officers also found 62 wraps of cocaine in the car, worth around £1,800 which appeared to indicate “classic street dealing.”

Iqbal, who has five previous convictions for 18 offences, gave no comment when interviewed by police.

But he eventually pleaded guilty to dangerous driving, driving without insurance and driving while banned.

Brought into the dock dressed in a dark blue t-shirt, Iqbal also pleaded guilty to possession of Class A drugs with intent to supply.

Oliver Jarvis, defending, said that Iqbal had earned credit by pleading guilty and said he had been “frank and open with the court.”

He said he had “come to a remorseful position.”

Concerning the most recent driving itself, Mr Jarvis said: “I suppose the only point that I’ve got is that there was no injury to others.”

Deputy Circuit Judge Timothy Clayson accepted Iqbal’s guilty plea but reminded the court of his “appalling record” which also includes two other dangerous driving convictions.

Addressing the defendant, he said: “You caused damage, you certainly brought about no end of risk to people.”

Judge Clayson sentenced Iqbal to a total of four years and three months in prison and banned him from driving for a total of six years and six weeks.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/23997188.bolton-driver-caught-speeding-mayoresss-death/

Re: Bolton fully-unqualified chav-cyclist caught speeding again after Mayoress's death

<kulse5F1egbU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33574&group=uk.rec.cycling#33574

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Bolton fully-unqualified chav-cyclist caught speeding again after
Mayoress's death
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 16:39:33 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 16:39 UTC

On 22/12/2023 11:48 am, Simon Mason wrote:

> A drug dealer speeded

"speeded"?

Is there even such a word?

What's up with "sped"?

> and crashed into a bus just months after being released from prison for his part in killing an ex-Mayoress of Bolton.
> Wasim Iqbal, 26, was jailed more than two years ago for causing death by dangerous driving after taking part in a race that killed former Mayoress Gay Wharton as she crossed Chorley New Road.
> Bolton Crown Court heard that just months after Iqbal’s release this year, a BMW was seen by police being driven on July 5 on the very same road Mrs Wharton had been hit on.
> Prosecutor Alison Whalley said: “There was intelligence to suggest it was being driven by the defendant and that the defendant was of course disqualified at the time.”
> Iqbal had been jailed in June 2021 for four years and two months after pleading guilty to causing death by dangerous driving following Mrs Wharton’s death.
> He had been racing the now 26-year-old Assad Hussain on Friday November 13 when Mrs Wharton was struck by Hussain’s car.
> Both drivers fled the scene where 58-year-old Mrs Wharton, who served as the borough’s Mayoress in 2014, died of her injuries.
> Hussain, of Maplewood Gardens, Halliwell, was jailed for seven years and four months after also pleading guilty to causing death by dangerous driving.
> But as of this year, despite still serving a ban Iqbal, now of Chester Road, Manchester, was on the roads again when police gave chase on July 5.
> He had been released halfway through his sentence and was on licence at the time.
> Ms Whalley told the court how the 26-year-old reached speeds of up to 80mph and drove through three sets of traffic lights in a bid to escape the pursuing officers.
> At one point he drove on the wrong side of a junction and up through a busy Bradshawgate before eventually hitting a bus, though he had slowed down by this point.
> Iqbal and a group of other men fled the crashed BMW on foot before he was arrested.
> The officers also found 62 wraps of cocaine in the car, worth around £1,800 which appeared to indicate “classic street dealing.”
> Iqbal, who has five previous convictions for 18 offences, gave no comment when interviewed by police.
> But he eventually pleaded guilty to dangerous driving, driving without insurance and driving while banned.

ie, driving while only qualified as a chav-cyclist and nothing better
than that.

> Brought into the dock dressed in a dark blue t-shirt, Iqbal also pleaded guilty to possession of Class A drugs with intent to supply.
> Oliver Jarvis, defending, said that Iqbal had earned credit by pleading guilty and said he had been “frank and open with the court.”
> He said he had “come to a remorseful position.”
> Concerning the most recent driving itself, Mr Jarvis said: “I suppose the only point that I’ve got is that there was no injury to others.”
> Deputy Circuit Judge Timothy Clayson accepted Iqbal’s guilty plea but reminded the court of his “appalling record” which also includes two other dangerous driving convictions.
> Addressing the defendant, he said: “You caused damage, you certainly brought about no end of risk to people.”
> Judge Clayson sentenced Iqbal to a total of four years and three months in prison and banned him from driving for a total of six years and six weeks.
>
> https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/23997188.bolton-driver-caught-speeding-mayoresss-death/

Re: Bolton driver caught speeding again after Mayoress's death

<548a531d-6023-4dfa-af9e-c304af5c1f99n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33581&group=uk.rec.cycling#33581

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 09:16:29 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 17:16 UTC

QUOTE: At one point he drove on the wrong side of a junction and up through a busy Bradshawgate before eventually hitting a bus, though he had slowed down by this point. ENDS

Seems to be a plethora of drivers colliding with walls, buildings and buses recently - have they become difficult to see all of a sudden?

Re: Bolton unlicenced chav-cyclist caught speeding again after Mayoress's death

<kv45rfFk750U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33697&group=uk.rec.cycling#33697

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Bolton unlicenced chav-cyclist caught speeding again after
Mayoress's death
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 02:46:07 +0000
 by: JNugent - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 02:46 UTC

On 22/12/2023 05:16 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> QUOTE: At one point he drove on the wrong side of a junction and up through a busy Bradshawgate before eventually hitting a bus, though he had slowed down by this point. ENDS
>
> Seems to be a plethora of chav-cyclists colliding with walls, buildings and buses recently - have they become difficult to see all of a sudden?

Fully-unqualified chav-cyclists like the person to whom you refer above
*often* don't notice walls on the other side of FOOTways.

Hence the number of single-vehicle collisions with such things.

PS: Do you know what a plethora is?

Re: Bolton driver caught speeding again after Mayoress's death

<77bc07a6-00d6-40bb-af6c-508235167c8en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33705&group=uk.rec.cycling#33705

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 05:24:33 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 13:24 UTC

On Friday, December 22, 2023 at 11:48:22 AM UTC, Simon Mason wrote:
QUOTE:
> Ms Whalley told the court how the 26-year-old reached speeds of up to 80mph and drove through three sets of traffic lights in a bid to escape the pursuing officers. ENDS

We are always told that drivers never drive through red lights.

Re: Bolton chav-cyclist caught speeding again after Mayoress's death

<kv5d6eFrm3gU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33707&group=uk.rec.cycling#33707

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Bolton chav-cyclist caught speeding again after Mayoress's death
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 13:57:34 +0000
 by: JNugent - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 13:57 UTC

On 28/12/2023 01:24 pm, Simon Mason wrote (speaking to himself, allegedly):

> On Friday, December 22, 2023 at 11:48:22 AM UTC, Simon Mason wrote:

> QUOTE:
>> Ms Whalley told the court how the 26-year-old reached speeds of up to 80mph and drove through three sets of traffic lights in a bid to escape the pursuing officers. ENDS
>
> We are always told that drivers never drive through red lights.

A person with no driving licence (and, perforce, no motor insurance) is
not a driver.

He (or she) is nothing but a mere chav-cyclist and nothing more than that.

And as you well know, chav-cyclists have no respect for traffic lights
or the rights of others.

Re: Bolton driver caught speeding again after Mayoress's death

<6046ccb4-bbeb-416a-821b-5a279b5fe7afn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33715&group=uk.rec.cycling#33715

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 08:13:41 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 16:13 UTC

On Thursday, December 28, 2023 at 1:24:34 PM UTC, Simon Mason wrote:
> On Friday, December 22, 2023 at 11:48:22 AM UTC, Simon Mason wrote:
> QUOTE:
> > Ms Whalley told the court how the 26-year-old reached speeds of up to 80mph and drove through three sets of traffic lights in a bid to escape the pursuing officers. ENDS
>
> We are always told that drivers never drive through red lights.

Or exceed the speed limit, don't forget!

Re: Bolton fully-unqualified chav-cyclist caught speeding again after Mayoress's death

<kv5r5nFu89sU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33727&group=uk.rec.cycling#33727

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Mayoress's death
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 17:56:07 +0000
 by: JNugent - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 17:56 UTC

On 28/12/2023 04:13 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> On Thursday, December 28, 2023 at 1:24:34 PM UTC, Simon Mason wrote:
>> On Friday, December 22, 2023 at 11:48:22 AM UTC, Simon Mason wrote:

>> QUOTE:
>>> Ms Whalley told the court how the 26-year-old reached speeds of up to 80mph and drove through three sets of traffic lights in a bid to escape the pursuing officers. ENDS
>>
>> We are always told that chav-cyclists (people with no driving licence or motor insurance) never drive through red lights.
>
> Or exceed the speed limit, don't forget!

FIFY.

Re: Bolton driver caught speeding again after Mayoress's death

<7e73fdf1-fe46-447f-b5a8-dd0431627588n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33734&group=uk.rec.cycling#33734

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 13:35:58 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 21:35 UTC

QUOTE: A drug dealer speeded and crashed into a bus just months after being released from prison for his part in killing an ex-Mayoress of Bolton.ENDS

"Speeded"? What is wrong with the word "sped"?

Re: Bolton driver caught speeding again after Mayoress's death

<kv6grnF3pleU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33740&group=uk.rec.cycling#33740

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 00:06:15 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 00:06 UTC

On 28/12/2023 09:35 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> QUOTE: A drug dealer speeded and crashed into a bus just months after being released from prison for his part in killing an ex-Mayoress of Bolton.ENDS
>
> "Speeded"? What is wrong with the word "sped"?

What indeed, as one of us asked - in this very thread - a couple of days
ago?

Re: Bolton driver caught speeding again after Mayoress's death

<88b42542-cf90-4011-af12-0db93787385an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33745&group=uk.rec.cycling#33745

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 22:37:36 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 06:37 UTC

QUOTE:
Wasim Iqbal, 26, was jailed more than two years ago for causing death by dangerous driving after taking part in a race that killed former Mayoress Gay Wharton as she crossed Chorley New Road. ENDS

A "race", you say? On a public road? Who were the organisers and were they jailed as well?

OFF-TOPIC TROLLING POST by MAY SUN (again): "Bolton driver caught speeding again after Mayoress's death"

<kv7scgFbk72U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33750&group=uk.rec.cycling#33750

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: OFF-TOPIC TROLLING POST by MAY SUN (again): "Bolton driver caught
speeding again after Mayoress's death"
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 12:29:04 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 12:29 UTC

On 29/12/2023 06:37 am, Simon Mason wrote:

> QUOTE:
> Wasim Iqbal, 26, was jailed more than two years ago for causing death by dangerous driving after taking part in a race that killed former Mayoress Gay Wharton as she crossed Chorley New Road. ENDS
>
> A "race", you say? On a public road? Who were the organisers and were they jailed as well?

Was it one of those rigged "races" where various commuting modes are
pitted against each other and the chav on the chav-bike, whose journey
is only the last half mile anyway, "wins"?

Re: OFF-TOPIC TROLLING POST by MAY SUN (again): "Bolton driver caught speeding again after Mayoress's death"

<kv7v3jFc580U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33753&group=uk.rec.cycling#33753

From: aero.sp...@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: OFF-TOPIC TROLLING POST by MAY SUN (again): "Bolton
driver caught speeding again after Mayoress's death"
Date: 29 Dec 2023 13:15:31 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 13:15 UTC

JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
> On 29/12/2023 06:37 am, Simon Mason wrote:

>> QUOTE: Wasim Iqbal, 26, was jailed more than two years ago for causing
>> death by dangerous driving after taking part in a race that killed
>> former Mayoress Gay Wharton as she crossed Chorley New Road. ENDS

>> A "race", you say? On a public road? Who were the organisers and were they jailed as well?

> Was it one of those rigged "races" where various commuting modes are
> pitted against each other and the chav on the chav-bike, whose journey is
> only the last half mile anyway, "wins"?

They should have claimed to have been on a time trial, that dodge works
every time for cyclists.

--
Spike

Re: Bolton driver caught speeding again after Mayoress's death

<df95a196-7d68-4e68-b1c4-a0ff8cd514aan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33758&group=uk.rec.cycling#33758

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 06:58:33 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 14:58 UTC

On Friday, December 29, 2023 at 6:37:37 AM UTC, Simon Mason wrote:
> QUOTE:
> Wasim Iqbal, 26, was jailed more than two years ago for causing death by dangerous driving after taking part in a race that killed former Mayoress Gay Wharton as she crossed Chorley New Road. ENDS
>
> A "race", you say? On a public road? Who were the organisers and were they jailed as well?

Looks dangerous!

QUOTE: A volunteer marshal has died in an accident during a race at Brands Hatch motor racing circuit.

A racing car crashed, hitting two people on the track at about 15:00 BST on Saturday, Kent Police said.

A man in his 60s, from Surrey, died at the scene. The second person and the car's driver were taken to hospital for treatment.

On social media Lewis Hamilton said he was "devastated" to hear of the marshal's death.

He posted on Instagram: "Devastated to hear of the passing of a marshal at the Brands Hatch Circuit.

"These volunteer marshals are what makes racing possible, they are heroes.

"My heart is with his family."

A minute's silence was held on Sunday morning, with a crowd gathering on the track to pay their respects.

An investigation into the accident at the track in West Kingsdown has begun..
The rest of Saturday's racing activity was cancelled, but it resumed on Sunday.

One of the drivers, Alan Greenhalgh, said after a Sunday win at the track: "We're so desperately upset about yesterday, and it's a bit of a hollow victory really.

"Without the marshals we wouldn't be racing at all.

"Condolences, and our thoughts are with the family."

In a statement the British Automobile Racing Club (BARC) said: "On behalf of everyone connected with the BARC, we are devastated by [the] loss of one of the amazing volunteer marshal community who do so much to enable the sport to take place.

"Our thoughts and best wishes are with the family and friends of all those involved."
Police said there were no suspicious circumstances and officers were working with motorsport authorities to compile a report for the coroner.

Motorsport UK said: "The thoughts of everyone at Motorsport UK are with the marshal's family, the event organisers, and other members of the motorsport community present."

Among the races scheduled for the weekend were events for the Britcar Endurance Championship, Classic Touring Car Racing Club, Kumho BMW Championship and Junior Saloon Car Championship. ENDS

Last week British superbike rider Brad Jones was placed in an induced coma after crashing at Brands Hatch.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-58043285

Re: Bolton driver caught speeding again after Mayoress's death

<kv8brqFekfvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33759&group=uk.rec.cycling#33759

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 16:53:13 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 16:53 UTC

On 29/12/2023 02:58 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> On Friday, December 29, 2023 at 6:37:37 AM UTC, Simon Mason wrote:

>> QUOTE:
>> Wasim Iqbal, 26, was jailed more than two years ago for causing death by dangerous driving after taking part in a race that killed former Mayoress Gay Wharton as she crossed Chorley New Road. ENDS
>> A "race", you say? On a public road? Who were the organisers and were they jailed as well?

> Looks dangerous!
> QUOTE: A volunteer marshal has died in an accident during a race at Brands Hatch motor racing circuit.
> A racing car crashed, hitting two people on the track at about 15:00 BST on Saturday, Kent Police said.
> A man in his 60s, from Surrey, died at the scene. The second person and the car's driver were taken to hospital for treatment.
> On social media Lewis Hamilton said he was "devastated" to hear of the marshal's death.
> He posted on Instagram: "Devastated to hear of the passing of a marshal at the Brands Hatch Circuit.
> "These volunteer marshals are what makes racing possible, they are heroes.
> "My heart is with his family."
> A minute's silence was held on Sunday morning, with a crowd gathering on the track to pay their respects.
> An investigation into the accident at the track in West Kingsdown has begun.
> The rest of Saturday's racing activity was cancelled, but it resumed on Sunday.
> One of the drivers, Alan Greenhalgh, said after a Sunday win at the track: "We're so desperately upset about yesterday, and it's a bit of a hollow victory really.
> "Without the marshals we wouldn't be racing at all.
> "Condolences, and our thoughts are with the family."
> In a statement the British Automobile Racing Club (BARC) said: "On behalf of everyone connected with the BARC, we are devastated by [the] loss of one of the amazing volunteer marshal community who do so much to enable the sport to take place.
> "Our thoughts and best wishes are with the family and friends of all those involved."
> Police said there were no suspicious circumstances and officers were working with motorsport authorities to compile a report for the coroner.
> Motorsport UK said: "The thoughts of everyone at Motorsport UK are with the marshal's family, the event organisers, and other members of the motorsport community present."
> Among the races scheduled for the weekend were events for the Britcar Endurance Championship, Classic Touring Car Racing Club, Kumho BMW Championship and Junior Saloon Car Championship. ENDS
> Last week British superbike rider Brad Jones was placed in an induced coma after crashing at Brands Hatch.

> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-58043285

The main roads around Brands Hatch are the A2, A20, M20, M25 and A225.

On which of those highways, or perhaps other nearby B-roads or byways,
did those crashes take place?

If they didn't take place on a highway, what's your complaint?

No-one forces members of the public along to watch races on private land
(and many of us wonder what on earth they see in motor-races, or any
other races, anyway)?

Re: Bolton driver caught speeding again after Mayoress's death

<5adb3a63-c36a-493c-97e3-21880c69431en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33763&group=uk.rec.cycling#33763

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 10:01:58 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 18:01 UTC

QUOTE: British co-driver was killed in the UK leg of the world rally championship yesterday when his car smashed into a tree at an estimated 100mph.

Michael Park, who was married with two children, died at the site of the accident, which happened as the rally, in south Wales, neared its conclusion.

Police launched an investigation into the crash while the final stages of the rally were cancelled. The driver of the car, Estonian Markko Märtin, was unhurt.

The accident is the worst to hit top-class rallying since a Finnish driver and co-driver were killed in Corsica in 1986. It will inevitably lead to calls for safety issues to be reviewed.

Colleagues of Mr Park, 39, known in rallying circles by his nickname "Beef", paid tribute to a popular and respected sportsman. The event, which used to be called the RAC rally and is now branded Wales Rally GB, reached Margam Park, near Swansea, the 15th of 17 stages, yesterday morning. Mr Park, from Newent in Gloucestershire, and Mr Martin were negotiating a left hand corner at high speed when the car, a Peugeot 307, left the gravel road and the co-driver's side, the right side, hit a tree.

A highly experienced co-driver, Mr Park had worked with former champions Richard Burns and Colin McRae. He fell in love with the sport as a boy, recalling in an interview last week how he used to sleep in "freezing forests" to make sure he got a good view of the action.

Mr Park cut his teeth working part time as a coordinator for a number of teams, mapping out routes and organising service stops. In 1997 he gave up his job as a metal fabricator to concentrate full time on rallying.

He teamed up with Mr Martin in 2000 and together they won five rallies. They were also involved in a serious crash last year in Argentina in which their car was written off and both were treated in hospital. They were the only pairing to score points in each round of this season's championship and were lying fourth. They were sixth in the British event when the accident happened.

Organisers were forced to cancel the rest of the stage and another stage which was due to take place in Margam Park to allow the police to investigate..

A spokesman for Peugeot said the team was "in mourning". He said: "Peugeot Automobiles and Peugeot Sport would like to express their feeling of extreme sadness and deep emotion to the family of Michael Park." ENDS