From: reply-2...@mgn.org.uk (Martin Nicholas)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.waterways
Subject: Derelict lock on Grantham Canal reopens after three-year
restoration
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2021 10:27:58 +0100
 by: Martin Nicholas - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 09:27 UTC

Published today:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-58073905

Sadly, the navigation is being restored from the "wrong end".

More links:
http://www.granthamcanal.org/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grantham_Canal

--
Regards,

Martin Nicholas.

E-mail: reply-202108@mgn.org.uk (Address will be valid throughout
August).

A slogan-free post for a change.

Re: Derelict lock on Grantham Canal reopens after three-year restoration

<imvdnaFqk0jU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=333&group=uk.rec.waterways#333

From: chri...@privacy.net (ChrisND @UKRW)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.waterways
restoration
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2021 12:58:34 +0100
 by: ChrisND @UKRW - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 11:58 UTC

On 04/08/2021 10:27, Martin Nicholas wrote:

> Published today:
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-58073905
>
> Sadly, the navigation is being restored from the "wrong end".

Yes, but that is so often the case - generally through necessity to be
seen to 'make a start'.

When the next two locks in this flight of 7 are restored over the next
couple of years, it will then be a relatively easy task to have about
1/3rd of the canal restored and be viable in its own right for local
boating.

Chris D

--
http://www.Deuchars.co.uk
Author & Publisher: "A Boaters Guide to BOATING"

Re: Derelict lock on Grantham Canal reopens after three-year restoration

<lNOdnZEJM_D4pZH8nZ2dnUU78eOdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=334&group=uk.rec.waterways#334

restoration
Newsgroups: uk.rec.waterways
From: don'ts...@tty.org.uk (Steve)
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 20:13:41 +0100
 by: Steve - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 19:13 UTC

On 04/08/2021 10:27, Martin Nicholas wrote:

> Published today:
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-58073905
>
> Sadly, the navigation is being restored from the "wrong end".
>
> More links:
> http://www.granthamcanal.org/
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grantham_Canal

Yes but you have to have something to show people when you ask for the
money to build the new section to reconnect it to the Trent - using the
existing route, dropping the line and doing a tunnel under the road etc
that's been built over the top of it isn't practical.

Re: Derelict lock on Grantham Canal reopens after three-year restoration

<20210806093224.0fbc9850@dsklinux.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=336&group=uk.rec.waterways#336

From: reply-2...@mgn.org.uk (Martin Nicholas)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.waterways
restoration
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 09:32:24 +0100
 by: Martin Nicholas - Fri, 6 Aug 2021 08:32 UTC

On Thu, 5 Aug 2021 20:13:41 +0100
Steve <don'tspam@tty.org.uk> wrote:

> Yes but you have to have something to show people when you ask for
> the money to build the new section to reconnect it to the Trent -
> using the existing route, dropping the line and doing a tunnel under
> the road etc that's been built over the top of it isn't practical.

Personally I'd prefer to have the money spent on engineering, maybe
just a report, the connection to the Trent.

It's amazing what can be done. The A38 Whitminster Roundabout:
https://youtu.be/qE-8gke1UsA

Local geography is doubtless different in Nottingham. Then there's
flooding to consider.

--
Regards,

Martin Nicholas.

E-mail: reply-202108@mgn.org.uk (Address will be valid throughout
August).

This e-mail has been checked for bullshit & found wanting.