The less a statesman amounts to, the more he loves the flag. -- Kin Hubbard

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: BBC 4 HD and Cbeebies HD to move to PSB 3

SubjectAuthor
* BBC 4 HD and Cbeebies HD to move to PSB 3Mark Carver
+* Re: BBC 4 HD and Cbeebies HD to move to PSB 3Scott
|`* Re: BBC 4 HD and Cbeebies HD to move to PSB 3Mark Carver
| `* Re: BBC 4 HD and Cbeebies HD to move to PSB 3Tweed
|  +* Re: BBC 4 HD and Cbeebies HD to move to PSB 3J. P. Gilliver (John)
|  |`* Re: BBC 4 HD and Cbeebies HD to move to PSB 3Scott
|  | +- Re: BBC 4 HD and Cbeebies HD to move to PSB 3J. P. Gilliver (John)
|  | `* Re: BBC 4 HD and Cbeebies HD to move to PSB 3Andy Burns
|  |  `- Re: BBC 4 HD and Cbeebies HD to move to PSB 3Scott
|  `* Re: BBC 4 HD and Cbeebies HD to move to PSB 3Max Demian
|   `* Re: BBC 4 HD and Cbeebies HD to move to PSB 3Scott
|    `- Re: BBC 4 HD and Cbeebies HD to move to PSB 3Andy Burns
+- Re: BBC 4 HD and Cbeebies HD to move to PSB 3Brian G
`- Re: BBC 4 HD and Cbeebies HD to move to PSB 3Mark Carver

1
BBC 4 HD and Cbeebies HD to move to PSB 3

<jfrftnFduuiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33402&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33402

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: BBC 4 HD and Cbeebies HD to move to PSB 3
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2022 10:58:15 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Thu, 2 Jun 2022 09:58 UTC

Seems that when COM 7 closes at the end of this month, BBC 4 HD and
Cbeebies HD will move to PSB 3 (aka the 'main' HD mux)

BBC News HD on DTT will close

https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/work-warning/news/waw-com7

Re: BBC 4 HD and Cbeebies HD to move to PSB 3

<g15h9hhhlpo00n48riua6vsvb1eu8scnhp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33403&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33403

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Re: BBC 4 HD and Cbeebies HD to move to PSB 3
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2022 11:45:13 +0100
 by: Scott - Thu, 2 Jun 2022 10:45 UTC

On Thu, 2 Jun 2022 10:58:15 +0100, Mark Carver
<mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Seems that when COM 7 closes at the end of this month, BBC 4 HD and
>Cbeebies HD will move to PSB 3 (aka the 'main' HD mux)
>
>BBC News HD on DTT will close
>
>https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/work-warning/news/waw-com7

Thank goodness. Life would not be the same without Bob the Builder.

What about CBBC? I thought I read it was going online only. There
were also reports of BBC Four going online only.

If Radio 4 Extra moves online, will this improve the bitrate for other
BBC stations?

Can we fix it - yes we can.

Re: BBC 4 HD and Cbeebies HD to move to PSB 3

<jfrirvFeh0iU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33404&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33404

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2022 11:48:31 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Thu, 2 Jun 2022 10:48 UTC

On 02/06/2022 11:45, Scott wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Jun 2022 10:58:15 +0100, Mark Carver
> <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Seems that when COM 7 closes at the end of this month, BBC 4 HD and
>> Cbeebies HD will move to PSB 3 (aka the 'main' HD mux)
>>
>> BBC News HD on DTT will close
>>
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/work-warning/news/waw-com7
> Thank goodness. Life would not be the same without Bob the Builder.
>
> What about CBBC? I thought I read it was going online only. There
> were also reports of BBC Four going online only.

The idea of CBBC and BBC 4 going on line only, so far is only a
*_suggestion_* and even it happens, is still 3 or 4 years away.

Anyway, CBBC HD is on PSB 3 already

Re: BBC 4 HD and Cbeebies HD to move to PSB 3

<t7a71s$ko3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33405&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33405

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2022 11:31:08 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:sqlp5Ey587vL7eXPjCRNYNWWMrY=
 by: Tweed - Thu, 2 Jun 2022 11:31 UTC

Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 02/06/2022 11:45, Scott wrote:
>> On Thu, 2 Jun 2022 10:58:15 +0100, Mark Carver
>> <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Seems that when COM 7 closes at the end of this month, BBC 4 HD and
>>> Cbeebies HD will move to PSB 3 (aka the 'main' HD mux)
>>>
>>> BBC News HD on DTT will close
>>>
>>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/work-warning/news/waw-com7
>> Thank goodness. Life would not be the same without Bob the Builder.
>>
>> What about CBBC? I thought I read it was going online only. There
>> were also reports of BBC Four going online only.
>
> The idea of CBBC and BBC 4 going on line only, so far is only a
> *_suggestion_* and even it happens, is still 3 or 4 years away.
>
> Anyway, CBBC HD is on PSB 3 already

What’s the “newly identified capacity” on PSB3? Have they been carelessly
wasting bits until now….?

Re: BBC 4 HD and Cbeebies HD to move to PSB 3

<UiKFfwifJNmiFwyy@a.a>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33406&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33406

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2022 16:08:15 +0100
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Thu, 2 Jun 2022 15:08 UTC

On Thu, 2 Jun 2022 at 11:31:08, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote (my
>Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On 02/06/2022 11:45, Scott wrote:

They obviously slipped up with that web page; it displayed fine on my
old Firefox. I thought it was BBC policy that all webpages require a
bleeding-edge browser (and even then often malfunction).

>>> Thank goodness. Life would not be the same without Bob the Builder.

(-:

>>> What about CBBC? I thought I read it was going online only. There
>>> were also reports of BBC Four going online only.

Yes, I'd heard that - and it seemed odd to do that, having brought BBC3
back to FreeView; I'd have thought the demographics of the target
audiences were the other way round. But it seems only the HD version of
BBC4 might be affected, which perhaps suits the demographic better.

>> The idea of CBBC and BBC 4 going on line only, so far is only a
>> *_suggestion_* and even it happens, is still 3 or 4 years away.
>>
>> Anyway, CBBC HD is on PSB 3 already
>>

>What’s the “newly identified capacity” on PSB3? Have they been carelessly
>wasting bits until now….?

Yes, I wondered that! (Of course, they could save a _lot_ of capacity -
but only at certain times - by using the "red button" mechanism,
whenever they're simulcasting across channels - as they were this
morning for example between 1 and News.)

Religion often uses faith as a blindfold, saying anyone who doesn't believe
the same as us must be wiped out. It's not God saying that. It's people, which
is so dangerous. - Jenny Agutter, RT 2015/1/17-23

Re: BBC 4 HD and Cbeebies HD to move to PSB 3

<rglh9hd86n560anv61q3ok9q8po74be74q@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33407&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33407

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2022 16:26:16 +0100
 by: Scott - Thu, 2 Jun 2022 15:26 UTC

On Thu, 2 Jun 2022 16:08:15 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
<G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

>On Thu, 2 Jun 2022 at 11:31:08, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote (my
>>Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>They obviously slipped up with that web page; it displayed fine on my
>old Firefox. I thought it was BBC policy that all webpages require a
>bleeding-edge browser (and even then often malfunction).

>(-:

>Yes, I'd heard that - and it seemed odd to do that, having brought BBC3
>back to FreeView; I'd have thought the demographics of the target
>audiences were the other way round. But it seems only the HD version of
>BBC4 might be affected, which perhaps suits the demographic better.
>>>
>>> The idea of CBBC and BBC 4 going on line only, so far is only a
>>> *_suggestion_* and even it happens, is still 3 or 4 years away.
>>>
>>> Anyway, CBBC HD is on PSB 3 already
>>>

>>What’s the “newly identified capacity” on PSB3? Have they been carelessly
>>wasting bits until now….?
>>
>Yes, I wondered that! (Of course, they could save a _lot_ of capacity -
>but only at certain times - by using the "red button" mechanism,
>whenever they're simulcasting across channels - as they were this
>morning for example between 1 and News.)

Would they have to match the programme timings so as not to
reconfigure during a programme? (I don't think the DAB bitrate is
changed during programmes?) Would changing the configuration cause
problems for PVRs?

Re: BBC 4 HD and Cbeebies HD to move to PSB 3

<AzMQ75lGvNmiFwxi@a.a>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33408&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33408

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2022 16:48:22 +0100
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Thu, 2 Jun 2022 15:48 UTC

On Thu, 2 Jun 2022 at 16:26:16, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk>
wrote (my responses usually FOLLOW):
>On Thu, 2 Jun 2022 16:08:15 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
><G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 2 Jun 2022 at 11:31:08, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote (my
[]
>>>What’s the “newly identified capacity” on PSB3? Have they been carelessly
>>>wasting bits until now….?
>>>
>>Yes, I wondered that! (Of course, they could save a _lot_ of capacity -
>>but only at certain times - by using the "red button" mechanism,
>>whenever they're simulcasting across channels - as they were this
>>morning for example between 1 and News.)
>
>Would they have to match the programme timings so as not to
>reconfigure during a programme? (I don't think the DAB bitrate is
>changed during programmes?)

I don't know. Certainly if I'm watching one of the channels that
switches to just a card (usually Smithsonian), the card is displayed
without any action on my part. Though there is a _long_ pause.

> Would changing the configuration cause
>problems for PVRs?

Almost certainly in some cases.

Is it even _possible_ to tell receivers to switch to a different
bitstream? I presume not, otherwise - you'd hope, anyway! - they'd have
done it by now. Maybe it is, but it's the switching _back_ that can't be
automated (maybe you can tell receivers "watching" the brown channel to
switch to the purple channel, but then when it comes time to switch
back, telling receivers "watching" the purple channel "switch to the
brown channel - but only those of you that came here from there" isn't
possible). It'd need just about a byte of memory, but I wouldn't be at
all surprised if that hadn't been built into the standard.

Religion often uses faith as a blindfold, saying anyone who doesn't believe
the same as us must be wiped out. It's not God saying that. It's people, which
is so dangerous. - Jenny Agutter, RT 2015/1/17-23

Re: BBC 4 HD and Cbeebies HD to move to PSB 3

<QaadnYhGIJNKQAX_nZ2dnUU7-SmdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33409&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33409

Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2022 16:57:11 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
 by: Max Demian - Thu, 2 Jun 2022 15:57 UTC

On 02/06/2022 12:31, Tweed wrote:
> Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On 02/06/2022 11:45, Scott wrote:

>>> Thank goodness. Life would not be the same without Bob the Builder.
>>>
>>> What about CBBC? I thought I read it was going online only. There
>>> were also reports of BBC Four going online only.
>>
>> The idea of CBBC and BBC 4 going on line only, so far is only a
>> *_suggestion_* and even it happens, is still 3 or 4 years away.
>>
>> Anyway, CBBC HD is on PSB 3 already
>>

> What’s the “newly identified capacity” on PSB3? Have they been carelessly
> wasting bits until now….?

CBBC HD timeshares with BBC3 HD so there's no extra bandwidth required.

--
Max Demian

Re: BBC 4 HD and Cbeebies HD to move to PSB 3

<a6uh9hd4kilh1rv1e7mv03om82chqave2c@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33410&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33410

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2022 18:52:47 +0100
 by: Scott - Thu, 2 Jun 2022 17:52 UTC

On Thu, 2 Jun 2022 16:57:11 +0100, Max Demian <max_demian@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

>On 02/06/2022 12:31, Tweed wrote:
>> Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> The idea of CBBC and BBC 4 going on line only, so far is only a
>>> *_suggestion_* and even it happens, is still 3 or 4 years away.
>>>
>>> Anyway, CBBC HD is on PSB 3 already
>>>

>> What’s the “newly identified capacity” on PSB3? Have they been carelessly
>> wasting bits until now….?
>
>CBBC HD timeshares with BBC3 HD so there's no extra bandwidth required.

I think the question being asked is where does the bandwidth for BBC
Four HD come from?

Re: BBC 4 HD and Cbeebies HD to move to PSB 3

<jg0l5bF9vn8U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33417&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33417

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2022 09:58:19 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 4 Jun 2022 08:58 UTC

Scott wrote:

> I think the question being asked is where does the bandwidth for BBC Four HD
> come from?

Maybe 5select and/or TBN get the boot?

Re: BBC 4 HD and Cbeebies HD to move to PSB 3

<jg0mbgF9vvdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33419&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33419

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2022 10:18:40 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 4 Jun 2022 09:18 UTC

Scott wrote:

> I don't think the DAB bitrate is changed during programmes?

AFAIK it only changes at programme junctions and on some radios it causes an
audible dropout.

Re: BBC 4 HD and Cbeebies HD to move to PSB 3

<bsem9htqb1k1o1ehrarp9totqnce1rjai8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33422&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33422

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2022 12:03:40 +0100
 by: Scott - Sat, 4 Jun 2022 11:03 UTC

On Sat, 4 Jun 2022 10:18:40 +0100, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
wrote:

>Scott wrote:
>
>> I don't think the DAB bitrate is changed during programmes?
>
>AFAIK it only changes at programme junctions and on some radios it causes an
>audible dropout.

Would the same principle apply to TV then? This would mean the
earlier suggestion to reallocate the red button bandwidth during
programmes is a non-starter.

Re: BBC 4 HD and Cbeebies HD to move to PSB 3

<t7fglf$2hd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33425&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33425

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian G)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2022 12:42:51 +0100
 by: Brian G - Sat, 4 Jun 2022 11:42 UTC

Ho long do we give terrestrial freeview other than the main channels I
wonder?

Seems everything except some repeats and the odd soap will be either axed
or behind pay walls or maybe on Sky. which amounts to the same thing.
Why not just go back to the 70s and have done with it. grin.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Mark Carver" <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Seems that when COM 7 closes at the end of this month, BBC 4 HD and
> Cbeebies HD will move to PSB 3 (aka the 'main' HD mux)
>
> BBC News HD on DTT will close
>
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/work-warning/news/waw-com7

Re: BBC 4 HD and Cbeebies HD to move to PSB 3

<jgtsrbF72flU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33727&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33727

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2022 12:07:22 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Wed, 15 Jun 2022 11:07 UTC

On 02/06/2022 10:58, Mark Carver wrote:
> Seems that when COM 7 closes at the end of this month, BBC 4 HD and
> Cbeebies HD will move to PSB 3 (aka the 'main' HD mux)
>
> BBC News HD on DTT will close
>
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/work-warning/news/waw-com7

And also on June 30th Forces TV (currently using COM 7) is closing on
all platforms anyway

https://twitter.com/forces_tv/status/1537019135573499904