Most general statements are false, including this one. -- Alexander Dumas

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / OT: Scintillating Scotoma

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Scintillating ScotomaAdrian Caspersz
+* Re: OT: Scintillating ScotomaR. Mark Clayton
|`- Re: OT: Scintillating ScotomaTweed
+- Re: OT: Scintillating ScotomaS Viemeister
+- Re: OT: Scintillating ScotomaThe Other John
+- Re: OT: Scintillating ScotomaRoderick Stewart
+- Re: OT: Scintillating ScotomaEddie King
+- Re: OT: Scintillating Scotomawilliamwright
+* Re: OT: Scintillating ScotomaHarry Bloomfield Esq
|`* Re: OT: Scintillating ScotomaSteveW
| `* Re: OT: Scintillating ScotomaHarry Bloomfield Esq
|  +* Re: OT: Scintillating ScotomaHarry Bloomfield Esq
|  |+- Re: OT: Scintillating ScotomaSteveW
|  |`* Re: OT: Scintillating ScotomaBrian Gaff
|  | `* Re: OT: Scintillating ScotomaHarry Bloomfield Esq
|  |  `* Re: OT: Scintillating ScotomaTim+
|  |   `- Re: OT: Scintillating ScotomaHarry Bloomfield Esq
|  `- Re: OT: Scintillating ScotomaSteveW
+- Re: OT: Scintillating ScotomaPeter James
+- Re: OT: Scintillating ScotomaJim Stewart ...
+* Re: OT: Scintillating ScotomaNY
|`- Re: OT: Scintillating ScotomaBrian Gaff
+- Re: OT: Scintillating ScotomaJonathan
`* Re: OT: Scintillating Scotomajon
 +- Re: OT: Scintillating ScotomaFredxx
 +- Re: OT: Scintillating ScotomaFredxx
 `* Re: OT: Scintillating Scotomanothanks
  `* Re: OT: Scintillating ScotomaTim+
   `- Re: OT: Scintillating ScotomaTim Streater

Pages:12
OT: Scintillating Scotoma

<jhg6vtFu0eqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33826&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33826

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: OT: Scintillating Scotoma
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 10:50:53 +0100
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Wed, 22 Jun 2022 09:50 UTC

Hey,

Sometimes my vision goes a bit funny and I get a dull headache after a
aura lightshow, where I can't do things that are critical like work or
drive. Thankfully I can only count three occasions it has happened going
back over twenty years. Maybe stress related it seems.

Someone on YouTube seems to have successfully stuck a camera inside his
head, as the aura he is showing with graphics, is spot on with what I
suffered with.

My Experience with Scintillating Scotoma (Visual Migraine/Aura)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_m9dyaKc_s

From a straw poll elsewhere, seems a few folks have this as well. This
video may well help in explaining the effects to others.

--
Adrian C

Re: OT: Scintillating Scotoma

<3bf9fe4d-a632-4a3f-b9c1-1e0d70205a7an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33827&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33827

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 02:58:27 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: OT: Scintillating Scotoma
From: notyalck...@gmail.com (R. Mark Clayton)
 by: R. Mark Clayton - Wed, 22 Jun 2022 09:58 UTC

On Wednesday, 22 June 2022 at 10:50:56 UTC+1, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Sometimes my vision goes a bit funny and I get a dull headache after a
> aura lightshow, where I can't do things that are critical like work or
> drive. Thankfully I can only count three occasions it has happened going
> back over twenty years. Maybe stress related it seems.
>
> Someone on YouTube seems to have successfully stuck a camera inside his
> head, as the aura he is showing with graphics, is spot on with what I
> suffered with.
>
> My Experience with Scintillating Scotoma (Visual Migraine/Aura)
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_m9dyaKc_s
>
> From a straw poll elsewhere, seems a few folks have this as well. This
> video may well help in explaining the effects to others.
>
> --
> Adrian C

I get these once in a blue moon, first time thirty years ago, my partner gets them very occasionally. Dehydration and stress seem to make it more likely.

Goes away after about an hour leaving one feeling tired.

Many people go on to have a splitting migraine headache, but thankfully neither of us do.

It is quite common.

Re: OT: Scintillating Scotoma

<jhgb0jF4bpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33828&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33828

From: firstn...@lastname.oc.ku (S Viemeister)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 11:59:31 +0100
 by: S Viemeister - Wed, 22 Jun 2022 10:59 UTC

On 22/06/2022 10:50, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Sometimes my vision goes a bit funny and I get a dull headache after a
> aura lightshow, where I can't do things that are critical like work or
> drive. Thankfully I can only count three occasions it has happened going
> back over twenty years. Maybe stress related it seems.
>
> Someone on YouTube seems to have successfully stuck a camera inside his
> head, as the aura he is showing with graphics, is spot on with what I
> suffered with.
>
>  My Experience with Scintillating Scotoma (Visual Migraine/Aura)
>  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_m9dyaKc_s
>
> From a straw poll elsewhere, seems a few folks have this as well. This
> video may well help in explaining the effects to others.

Thanks for this. That's exactly what it looks and feels like to me.

Re: OT: Scintillating Scotoma

<t8v0el$tdi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33831&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33831

From: nom...@home.org (The Other John)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 12:03:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: The Other John - Wed, 22 Jun 2022 12:03 UTC

On Wed, 22 Jun 2022 10:50:53 +0100, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

> My Experience with Scintillating Scotoma (Visual Migraine/Aura)
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_m9dyaKc_s

I had 2 auras last night, 20.50 and 21.30, each lasting about 20 minutes
but fortunately I don't get a headache. I get auras about 2 or 3 times
per month but I can't pin-point a likely cause as the prevailing
conditions are mostly different, although sometimes it occurs if I'm
looking down reading something on my lap, so could it be a nerve in my
neck?

--
TOJ.

Re: OT: Scintillating Scotoma

<bi26bhhg2u6t8jrkn84gm5aucruimopk6g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33832&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33832

From: rjf...@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 13:28:49 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Wed, 22 Jun 2022 12:28 UTC

<email@here.invalid> wrote:

>Hey,
>
>Sometimes my vision goes a bit funny and I get a dull headache after a
>aura lightshow, where I can't do things that are critical like work or
>drive. Thankfully I can only count three occasions it has happened going
>back over twenty years. Maybe stress related it seems.
>
>Someone on YouTube seems to have successfully stuck a camera inside his
>head, as the aura he is showing with graphics, is spot on with what I
>suffered with.
>
> My Experience with Scintillating Scotoma (Visual Migraine/Aura)
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_m9dyaKc_s
>
> From a straw poll elsewhere, seems a few folks have this as well. This
>video may well help in explaining the effects to others.

I get these sometimes too, but shorter duration, less severe and
without the headaches. The video is a pretty accurate depiction of
what it looks like. Interesting to know what it's called, and
reassuring to know it's not serious.

Rod.

Re: OT: Scintillating Scotoma

<jhgi73F190aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33833&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33833

From: xxxeddie...@gmx.net (Eddie King)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 15:02:25 +0200
 by: Eddie King - Wed, 22 Jun 2022 13:02 UTC

On 22.06.2022 11:50, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

[SNIP]
>  My Experience with Scintillating Scotoma (Visual Migraine/Aura)
>  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_m9dyaKc_s
>
> From a straw poll elsewhere, seems a few folks have this as well. This
> video may well help in explaining the effects to others.

[/SNIP]

Fortunately not something I have experienced (touch wood) but nontheless
fascinating. Thanks for posting this.

Re: OT: Scintillating Scotoma

<jhgoheF2a3bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33835&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33835

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 15:50:21 +0100
 by: williamwright - Wed, 22 Jun 2022 14:50 UTC

On 22/06/2022 10:50, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Sometimes my vision goes a bit funny and I get a dull headache after a
> aura lightshow, where I can't do things that are critical like work or
> drive. Thankfully I can only count three occasions it has happened going
> back over twenty years. Maybe stress related it seems.
>
> Someone on YouTube seems to have successfully stuck a camera inside his
> head, as the aura he is showing with graphics, is spot on with what I
> suffered with.
>
>  My Experience with Scintillating Scotoma (Visual Migraine/Aura)
>  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_m9dyaKc_s
>
> From a straw poll elsewhere, seems a few folks have this as well. This
> video may well help in explaining the effects to others.

That's really helpful. It's a very good accurate version of what I get.

Bill

Re: OT: Scintillating Scotoma

<t8vb6o$4bu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33836&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33836

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 15:07:04 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:QF1HaLscXqKB5eVH8HACSZD8CpA=
 by: Tweed - Wed, 22 Jun 2022 15:07 UTC

R. Mark Clayton <notyalckram@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, 22 June 2022 at 10:50:56 UTC+1, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> Sometimes my vision goes a bit funny and I get a dull headache after a
>> aura lightshow, where I can't do things that are critical like work or
>> drive. Thankfully I can only count three occasions it has happened going
>> back over twenty years. Maybe stress related it seems.
>>
>> Someone on YouTube seems to have successfully stuck a camera inside his
>> head, as the aura he is showing with graphics, is spot on with what I
>> suffered with.
>>
>> My Experience with Scintillating Scotoma (Visual Migraine/Aura)
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_m9dyaKc_s
>>
>> From a straw poll elsewhere, seems a few folks have this as well. This
>> video may well help in explaining the effects to others.
>>
>> --
>> Adrian C
>
> I get these once in a blue moon, first time thirty years ago, my partner
> gets them very occasionally. Dehydration and stress seem to make it more likely.
>
> Goes away after about an hour leaving one feeling tired.
>
> Many people go on to have a splitting migraine headache, but thankfully neither of us do.
>
> It is quite common.

Anyone getting these should get their blood pressure checked. It’s a well
known symptom (but not the only cause). It’s what got me put on blood
pressure medication.

Re: OT: Scintillating Scotoma

<t8vb9m$6bl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33837&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33837

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 16:08:36 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Wed, 22 Jun 2022 15:08 UTC

After serious thinking Adrian Caspersz wrote :
> Hey,
>
> Sometimes my vision goes a bit funny and I get a dull headache after a aura
> lightshow, where I can't do things that are critical like work or drive.
> Thankfully I can only count three occasions it has happened going back over
> twenty years. Maybe stress related it seems.
>
> Someone on YouTube seems to have successfully stuck a camera inside his head,
> as the aura he is showing with graphics, is spot on with what I suffered
> with.
>
> My Experience with Scintillating Scotoma (Visual Migraine/Aura)
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_m9dyaKc_s

Spot on video for me too!

> From a straw poll elsewhere, seems a few folks have this as well. This video
> may well help in explaining the effects to others.

Originally, I would suffer it once every six months or so, quite scary
and no idea what was going on. Later, working for a particularly
frustrating and stressful company, where a lot of frequent driving was
involved - it would show up almost daily. If it came on when driving I
would notice a 'feel' before it happened and would find somewhere safe
to park, whilst it progressed.

Unlike the video, mine would progress much faster than his and usually
I would be over it within 20 minutes. More severe, but more rapid too.
Apart from the syptoms shown in the video, I would also sometimes get
phycodelic flashing colours, something like the films showing a 'drug
trip' of the 60's.

I don't tend ever to suffer headaches, though I do sometimes suffer a
light headed / distant feeling instead.

After retiring, the frequency reduced back to every three months, but
nothing now for around three years.

Re: OT: Scintillating Scotoma

<t8vec9$3p3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33838&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33838

From: ste...@walker-family.me.uk (SteveW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 17:01:13 +0100
 by: SteveW - Wed, 22 Jun 2022 16:01 UTC

On 22/06/2022 16:08, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
> After serious thinking Adrian Caspersz wrote :
>> Hey,
>>
>> Sometimes my vision goes a bit funny and I get a dull headache after a
>> aura lightshow, where I can't do things that are critical like work or
>> drive. Thankfully I can only count three occasions it has happened
>> going back over twenty years. Maybe stress related it seems.
>>
>> Someone on YouTube seems to have successfully stuck a camera inside
>> his head, as the aura he is showing with graphics, is spot on with
>> what I suffered with.
>>
>>   My Experience with Scintillating Scotoma (Visual Migraine/Aura)
>>   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_m9dyaKc_s
>
> Spot on video for me too!
>

>>  From a straw poll elsewhere, seems a few folks have this as well.
>> This video may well help in explaining the effects to others.
>
> Originally, I would suffer it once every six months or so, quite scary
> and no idea what was going on. Later, working for a particularly
> frustrating and stressful company, where a lot of frequent driving was
> involved - it would show up almost daily. If it came on when driving I
> would notice a 'feel' before it happened and would find somewhere safe
> to park, whilst it progressed.
>
> Unlike the video, mine would progress much faster than his and usually I
> would be over it within 20 minutes. More severe, but more rapid too.
> Apart from the syptoms shown in the video, I would also sometimes get
> phycodelic flashing colours, something like the films showing a 'drug
> trip' of the 60's.

Also about 20 minutes for me and pretty rarely happening. I get a black
and white zig-zaggy edge and the area within it goes a little blurry
(enough to make it difficult to read a computer screen, but not
impossible). I too get a fair bit of warning, so I am not worried about
being caught out with it.

Re: OT: Scintillating Scotoma

<t8vrf3$7d1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33840&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33840

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 20:44:34 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Wed, 22 Jun 2022 19:44 UTC

SteveW formulated on Wednesday :
> Also about 20 minutes for me and pretty rarely happening. I get a black and
> white zig-zaggy edge and the area within it goes a little blurry (enough to
> make it difficult to read a computer screen, but not impossible). I too get a
> fair bit of warning, so I am not worried about being caught out with it.

The very first episode was of the full on phycodelic variety - early
morning, still in bed and I had just woken up. I just remained in bed
until it had cleared.

I suffered and ignored it for years, not really knowing quite how to
desribe it, until someone suggested it was probably a migraine, then a
bit of research found it. Mentioning it to the docs, they seemed
uninterested, but they did find my BP was high and put me on medsto
reduce it, so worth getting BP checked.

Re: OT: Scintillating Scotoma

<t8vsau$oc4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33841&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33841

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 20:59:25 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Wed, 22 Jun 2022 19:59 UTC

Harry Bloomfield Esq has brought this to us :
> I suffered and ignored it for years, not really knowing quite how to desribe
> it, until someone suggested it was probably a migraine, then a bit of
> research found it. Mentioning it to the docs, they seemed uninterested, but
> they did find my BP was high and put me on medsto reduce it, so worth getting
> BP checked.

One visual issue I do still suffer from very occaisionally, takes the
form of seeing some movement, or motion in my periferal vision, if move
my eyes. Rather like spotting a fly flying past in the edge of the
vision, that can last for days.

As a youngster, I used to be sensivive and could spot the 'floaters',
or bubbles in the fluid of the eye. We all have them, but the brain
normally cancels them out, or ignores them. If I concentrate on seeing
them, I can still see them now sometimes.

Re: OT: Scintillating Scotoma

<t904q9$ooh$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33843&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33843

From: ste...@walker-family.me.uk (SteveW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 23:24:10 +0100
 by: SteveW - Wed, 22 Jun 2022 22:24 UTC

On 22/06/2022 20:44, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
> SteveW formulated on Wednesday :
>> Also about 20 minutes for me and pretty rarely happening. I get a
>> black and white zig-zaggy edge and the area within it goes a little
>> blurry (enough to make it difficult to read a computer screen, but not
>> impossible). I too get a fair bit of warning, so I am not worried
>> about being caught out with it.
>
> The very first episode was of the full on phycodelic variety - early
> morning, still in bed and I had just woken up. I just remained in bed
> until it had cleared.
>
> I suffered and ignored it for years, not really knowing quite how to
> desribe it, until someone suggested it was probably a migraine, then a
> bit of research found it. Mentioning it to the docs, they seemed
> uninterested, but they did find my BP was high and put me on medsto
> reduce it, so worth getting BP checked.

My BP was okay last time I was at the docs, allowing for a little bit of
white coat syndrome - and not too bad even not allowing for it.

Re: OT: Scintillating Scotoma

<t905fe$7lv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33844&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33844

From: ste...@walker-family.me.uk (SteveW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 23:35:26 +0100
 by: SteveW - Wed, 22 Jun 2022 22:35 UTC

On 22/06/2022 20:59, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
> Harry Bloomfield Esq has brought this to us :
>> I suffered and ignored it for years, not really knowing quite how to
>> desribe it, until someone suggested it was probably a migraine, then a
>> bit of research found it. Mentioning it to the docs, they seemed
>> uninterested, but they did find my BP was high and put me on medsto
>> reduce it, so worth getting BP checked.
>
> One visual issue I do still suffer from very occaisionally, takes the
> form of seeing some movement, or motion in my periferal vision, if move
> my eyes. Rather like spotting a fly flying past in the edge of the
> vision, that can last for days.

My wife suffered from that, but severely. She couldn't drive, as she'd
see cars, coming up to a give-way at a junction and think that they were
coming too fast to stop. She couldn't even be a passenger, except with
me or my father, as she'd scream out each time this happened and we were
the only ones prepared for it and certain not to hit the brakes or swerve.

She also suffered from balance problems.

It took 2-1/2 years of messing around before a Neuro-Opthamologist
diagnosed the problem, stating that the signals from eyes and inner ear
arrive at different time and the brain has to correct for the timings
and that her timing was messed up. It was largely resolved by putting
her on Sodium Valproate - the stuff that they use for epilepsy.

Re: OT: Scintillating Scotoma

<jhif9jFaiqqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33845&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33845

From: pfjames...@gmail.com (Peter James)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: 23 Jun 2022 06:24:51 GMT
 by: Peter James - Thu, 23 Jun 2022 06:24 UTC

On 22 Jun 2022 at 10:50:53 BST, "Adrian Caspersz" <email@here.invalid> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Sometimes my vision goes a bit funny and I get a dull headache after a
> aura lightshow, where I can't do things that are critical like work or
> drive. Thankfully I can only count three occasions it has happened going
> back over twenty years. Maybe stress related it seems.
>
> Someone on YouTube seems to have successfully stuck a camera inside his
> head, as the aura he is showing with graphics, is spot on with what I
> suffered with.
>
> My Experience with Scintillating Scotoma (Visual Migraine/Aura)
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_m9dyaKc_s
>
> From a straw poll elsewhere, seems a few folks have this as well. This
> video may well help in explaining the effects to others.

My experience as well. I've suffered with this for nigh on twenty years and
was diagnosed by my Optician about 5 years ago.
Sometimes it's so bad that I need to sit down with my eyes closed until the
episode ceases. The Doctors were not too interested, but luckily the Eye
professional was. I also suffer with high blood pressure, treated, so there
could well be a connection.
Peter
--
The email shown is false. If you need to contact me then try peterATpfjamesDOTcoDOTuk

Addresses are given to us to conceal our whereabouts.
Saki (H.H.Munro) 1870 - 1916

Re: OT: Scintillating Scotoma

<t912kt$10l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33846&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33846

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 07:53:11 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 23 Jun 2022 06:53 UTC

Having had gradually diminishing vision, I can confirm all of this.The
current theiry is that inherently, the vision system has noise, which is
cancelled out by various means, but some people can be sensitive to it in
the edges of the visual field where the population of cells is lower and the
brain looks for movement, as nobody wants to be eaten by a sneaky predator
do they?
Anyway now I have very little or no sight left, I am left with the
interference, and its as if the volume were turned up and the noise
pervades, but the brain still attempts to make it into images, and indeed
can be dazzled and get headaches, so don't put much store by it, unless it
gets worse. Everyone's vision is pretty naff and its amazing it works at
all.

Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Harry Bloomfield Esq" <a@harrym1byt.plus.com> wrote in message
> Harry Bloomfield Esq has brought this to us :
>> I suffered and ignored it for years, not really knowing quite how to
>> desribe it, until someone suggested it was probably a migraine, then a
>> bit of research found it. Mentioning it to the docs, they seemed
>> uninterested, but they did find my BP was high and put me on medsto
>> reduce it, so worth getting BP checked.
>
> One visual issue I do still suffer from very occaisionally, takes the form
> of seeing some movement, or motion in my periferal vision, if move my
> eyes. Rather like spotting a fly flying past in the edge of the vision,
> that can last for days.
>
> As a youngster, I used to be sensivive and could spot the 'floaters', or
> bubbles in the fluid of the eye. We all have them, but the brain normally
> cancels them out, or ignores them. If I concentrate on seeing them, I can
> still see them now sometimes.

Re: OT: Scintillating Scotoma

<t9171j$r63$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33847&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33847

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (Jim Stewart ...)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 09:08:19 +0100
 by: Jim Stewart ... - Thu, 23 Jun 2022 08:08 UTC

On 22/06/2022 10:50, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Sometimes my vision goes a bit funny and I get a dull headache after a
> aura lightshow, where I can't do things that are critical like work or
> drive. Thankfully I can only count three occasions it has happened going
> back over twenty years. Maybe stress related it seems.
>
> Someone on YouTube seems to have successfully stuck a camera inside his
> head, as the aura he is showing with graphics, is spot on with what I
> suffered with.
>
>  My Experience with Scintillating Scotoma (Visual Migraine/Aura)
>  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_m9dyaKc_s
>
> From a straw poll elsewhere, seems a few folks have this as well. This
> video may well help in explaining the effects to others.

had Migraine with aura since the 90's

Re: OT: Scintillating Scotoma

<t91p8u$os6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33848&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33848

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 14:18:58 +0100
 by: NY - Thu, 23 Jun 2022 13:18 UTC

"Adrian Caspersz" <email@here.invalid> wrote in message
> Hey,
>
> Sometimes my vision goes a bit funny and I get a dull headache after a
> aura lightshow, where I can't do things that are critical like work or
> drive. Thankfully I can only count three occasions it has happened going
> back over twenty years. Maybe stress related it seems.
>
> Someone on YouTube seems to have successfully stuck a camera inside his
> head, as the aura he is showing with graphics, is spot on with what I
> suffered with.
>
> My Experience with Scintillating Scotoma (Visual Migraine/Aura)
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_m9dyaKc_s
>
> From a straw poll elsewhere, seems a few folks have this as well. This
> video may well help in explaining the effects to others.

When I used to suffer from bad migraines when I was in my teens, my visual
disturbances were like a TV with the saturation turned up and the gamma
increased to make shadows and mid-tomes lighter than they should be without
maxing-out the highlights. It seemed to affect the whole field of vision,
without making local "funnies" such as regions that were out of focus or
which were coloured patterns. I did find that if I shut my eyes and covered
them (eg with an aye-shade or go into a darkened room), I saw coloured
jagged lines. That lasted for several hours and was followed by a day or two
of complete exhaustion.

I remember my GP making a boo-boo. When I'd been much younger, I'd been
given valium/diazepam as a pre=med when I was having my tonsils out. I
became hyperactive (bouncing off the walls of the ward, pressing the cardiac
arrest button, wrestling the nurse who came to turn it off). So my GP notes
had a big note: "severe reaction to diazepam". When I had a bad migraine in
my teens, which had lasted for several days, the GP came to see me and gave
me an injection to sedate me to break what he diagnosed as a vicious circle
of pain causing stress causing pain. I remember Mum, who was a phrmacy
technician, asking him what he was giving me, and (very unusually for him)
he was non-committal. Am hour or so later I was bouncing off the walls
again. Apparently I said "My head hurts like hell, but I just don't care".
Mum rang the GP surgery and asked him to ring back. "Was it by any chance
valium that you gave him." The GP said that it was. "Look on the front of
his notes..." There was a stunned silence and then a muttered curse and
grovelling apology. Whenever I've had an operation since then, I've always
listed valium in the "sever reaction" section, just in case.

Re: OT: Scintillating Scotoma

<t91vkg$671$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33849&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33849

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 16:08:00 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Thu, 23 Jun 2022 15:08 UTC

Brian Gaff explained on 23/06/2022 :
> Anyway now I have very little or no sight left, I am left with the
> interference, and its as if the volume were turned up and the noise pervades,
> but the brain still attempts to make it into images, and indeed can be
> dazzled and get headaches, so don't put much store by it, unless it gets
> worse.

Yes, there was a mention of it, on our local news yesterday or day
before, where a woman had become blind and suffered tremedously with
flashing lights, colours and even seeing devils and demons. There was a
name for it, but I was barely paying attention.

Re: OT: Scintillating Scotoma

<1337406470.677691435.207947.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33850&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33850

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: 23 Jun 2022 15:37:42 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Thu, 23 Jun 2022 15:37 UTC

Harry Bloomfield Esq <a@harrym1byt.plus.com> wrote:
> Brian Gaff explained on 23/06/2022 :
>> Anyway now I have very little or no sight left, I am left with the
>> interference, and its as if the volume were turned up and the noise pervades,
>> but the brain still attempts to make it into images, and indeed can be
>> dazzled and get headaches, so don't put much store by it, unless it gets
>> worse.
>
> Yes, there was a mention of it, on our local news yesterday or day
> before, where a woman had become blind and suffered tremedously with
> flashing lights, colours and even seeing devils and demons. There was a
> name for it, but I was barely paying attention.

Charles Bonnet syndrome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_release_hallucinations

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: OT: Scintillating Scotoma

<t921h4$lad$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33851&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33851

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 16:40:19 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Thu, 23 Jun 2022 15:40 UTC

Tim+ has brought this to us :
> Charles Bonnet syndrome.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_release_hallucinations

That's it..!

Re: OT: Scintillating Scotoma

<t93vsn$v3f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33852&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33852

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2022 10:24:32 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 24 Jun 2022 09:24 UTC

Hmm, I've never put this together, but now you mention it, I had what I can
only explain as several days of the feeling you get when you hit an air
pocket in a plane even when lying on the sofa. That was Valium again. It
might also explain why after that when I was young I could never use a
trampoline without feeling seasick. Brain chemicals are amazing things and
sometimes they actually do exactly the opposite of what one expects.

I did reply to this thread on the other group with a different angle.
Brian

--

--:
"NY" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote in message
> "Adrian Caspersz" <email@here.invalid> wrote in message
>> Hey,
>>
>> Sometimes my vision goes a bit funny and I get a dull headache after a
>> aura lightshow, where I can't do things that are critical like work or
>> drive. Thankfully I can only count three occasions it has happened going
>> back over twenty years. Maybe stress related it seems.
>>
>> Someone on YouTube seems to have successfully stuck a camera inside his
>> head, as the aura he is showing with graphics, is spot on with what I
>> suffered with.
>>
>> My Experience with Scintillating Scotoma (Visual Migraine/Aura)
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_m9dyaKc_s
>>
>> From a straw poll elsewhere, seems a few folks have this as well. This
>> video may well help in explaining the effects to others.
>
> When I used to suffer from bad migraines when I was in my teens, my visual
> disturbances were like a TV with the saturation turned up and the gamma
> increased to make shadows and mid-tomes lighter than they should be
> without maxing-out the highlights. It seemed to affect the whole field of
> vision, without making local "funnies" such as regions that were out of
> focus or which were coloured patterns. I did find that if I shut my eyes
> and covered them (eg with an aye-shade or go into a darkened room), I saw
> coloured jagged lines. That lasted for several hours and was followed by a
> day or two of complete exhaustion.
>
> I remember my GP making a boo-boo. When I'd been much younger, I'd been
> given valium/diazepam as a pre=med when I was having my tonsils out. I
> became hyperactive (bouncing off the walls of the ward, pressing the
> cardiac arrest button, wrestling the nurse who came to turn it off). So my
> GP notes had a big note: "severe reaction to diazepam". When I had a bad
> migraine in my teens, which had lasted for several days, the GP came to
> see me and gave me an injection to sedate me to break what he diagnosed as
> a vicious circle of pain causing stress causing pain. I remember Mum, who
> was a phrmacy technician, asking him what he was giving me, and (very
> unusually for him) he was non-committal. Am hour or so later I was
> bouncing off the walls again. Apparently I said "My head hurts like hell,
> but I just don't care". Mum rang the GP surgery and asked him to ring
> back. "Was it by any chance valium that you gave him." The GP said that it
> was. "Look on the front of his notes..." There was a stunned silence and
> then a muttered curse and grovelling apology. Whenever I've had an
> operation since then, I've always listed valium in the "sever reaction"
> section, just in case.

Re: OT: Scintillating Scotoma

<8883e36c-b4a2-4018-b49e-9bcba67f0a9fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33853&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33853

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2022 07:06:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: ward...@hotmail.co.uk (Jonathan)
 by: Jonathan - Fri, 24 Jun 2022 14:06 UTC

On Wednesday, June 22, 2022 at 10:50:56 AM UTC+1, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Sometimes my vision goes a bit funny and I get a dull headache after a
> aura lightshow, where I can't do things that are critical like work or
> drive. Thankfully I can only count three occasions it has happened going
> back over twenty years. Maybe stress related it seems.
>
> Someone on YouTube seems to have successfully stuck a camera inside his
> head, as the aura he is showing with graphics, is spot on with what I
> suffered with.
>
> My Experience with Scintillating Scotoma (Visual Migraine/Aura)
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_m9dyaKc_s
>
> From a straw poll elsewhere, seems a few folks have this as well. This
> video may well help in explaining the effects to others.
>
> --
> Adrian C
Migraine? Jonathan

Re: OT: Scintillating Scotoma

<t9936t$3rn23$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33854&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33854

From: jon...@nospam.cn (jon)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 07:51:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: jon - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 07:51 UTC

On Wed, 22 Jun 2022 10:50:53 +0100, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Sometimes my vision goes a bit funny and I get a dull headache after a
> aura lightshow, where I can't do things that are critical like work or
> drive. Thankfully I can only count three occasions it has happened going
> back over twenty years. Maybe stress related it seems.
>
> Someone on YouTube seems to have successfully stuck a camera inside his
> head, as the aura he is showing with graphics, is spot on with what I
> suffered with.
>
> My Experience with Scintillating Scotoma (Visual Migraine/Aura)
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_m9dyaKc_s
>
> From a straw poll elsewhere, seems a few folks have this as well. This
> video may well help in explaining the effects to others.

I can't take Viagra, because it causes coloured halos around my vision.

Re: OT: Scintillating Scotoma

<t9cif6$isd1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33857&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33857

From: fre...@spam.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 16:30:47 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Mon, 27 Jun 2022 15:30 UTC

On 26/06/2022 08:51, jon wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jun 2022 10:50:53 +0100, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
>
>> Hey,
>>
>> Sometimes my vision goes a bit funny and I get a dull headache after a
>> aura lightshow, where I can't do things that are critical like work or
>> drive. Thankfully I can only count three occasions it has happened going
>> back over twenty years. Maybe stress related it seems.
>>
>> Someone on YouTube seems to have successfully stuck a camera inside his
>> head, as the aura he is showing with graphics, is spot on with what I
>> suffered with.
>>
>> My Experience with Scintillating Scotoma (Visual Migraine/Aura)
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_m9dyaKc_s
>>
>> From a straw poll elsewhere, seems a few folks have this as well. This
>> video may well help in explaining the effects to others.
>

> I can't take Viagra, because it causes coloured halos around my vision.

Does that matter? Do you find coloured halos reduces your libido? For
most that would be the least of their issues! :-) Especially the wife's!