Old age is the most unexpected of things that can happen to a man. -- Trotsky

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Car speeding down Goddard Avenue destroys sign, smashes into walls and flips over,

SubjectAuthor
* Car speeding down Goddard Avenue destroys sign, smashes into walls and flips oveSimon Mason
+- Re: Car speeding down Goddard Avenue destroys sign, smashes into walls and flipsJNugent
+* Re: Car speeding down Goddard Avenue destroys sign, smashes into walls and flipsSimon Mason
|`- Re: Car speeding down Goddard Avenue destroys sign, smashes into walls and flipsJNugent
`- Re: Car speeding down Goddard Avenue destroys sign, smashes into walls and flipsSimon Mason

1
Car speeding down Goddard Avenue destroys sign, smashes into walls and flips over,

<5678461a-dbfc-47ac-a173-7be24a2a34f1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33849&group=uk.rec.cycling#33849

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 08:17:23 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Car speeding down Goddard Avenue destroys sign, smashes into walls
and flips over,
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 16:17 UTC

A speeding driver left a trail of destruction after losing control of his car, demolishing a signpost, careering along a footpath and crashing into walls and fences outside homes.

The car flipped onto its side and the driver, Jack Suddaby, crawled out of a window before telling a shocked resident: "I'm fine. I'm all good." He fled from the scene of the crash, in Goddard Avenue, Hull, but was traced after his wallet was found in the debris.

Suddaby had been drinking before the crash, but he later refused to give a breath sample and became difficult and aggressive with police, Hull Crown Court heard. The 32-year-old, of the Priory Road area, Hull, admitted careless driving, failing to provide a breath specimen and failing to stop after an accident on June 27.

Suddaby was in breach of a 21-month suspended prison sentence imposed on February 3 last year after he admitted assaulting his ex-girlfriend, causing actual bodily harm, as well as two offences of assaulting police, others of assault and criminal damage and two offences of possessing drugs. Fintan Molloy, prosecuting, said that Suddaby was driving along Goddard Avenue, off Newland Avenue, when he lost control of his Vauxhall Merida as he approached a left-hand bend at about midnight.

He was driving at such a speed that the car veered towards the opposite pavement and hit a traffic signpost, which was demolished. The momentum meant that the car continued along the pavement between parked cars and houses and badly damaged the front walls or fences of five homes.

"The collision caused the defendant's vehicle to flip on to its side," said Mr Molloy. A woman who was in bed heard loud engine noise and a bang followed by a number of other bangs.

"She looked out of her window and she saw the defendant's vehicle lying on its side," said Mr Molloy. Parts of the car were dropping off. Suddaby climbed up and out of a window.

The woman asked him if he was okay. He replied: "I'm fine. I'm all good." He leaned on the bonnet of the car. The woman went into her home but, when she returned, Suddaby had gone.

Police arrived in the early hours, but Suddaby was not there. A wallet was found in the debris and there were two bank cards and a driving licence in his name. Checks revealed that he was insured.

Police went to his home and he returned at 12.36am. He was put in the back of a police car. He denied being the driver of the crashed car.

Police could smell alcohol on his breath but he refused to give a roadside breath test. He became difficult and tried to leave the police car. "Officers had to restrain the defendant and took him to the ground outside the vehicle," said Mr Molloy. "When police vans arrived, he became aggressive and violent."

Suddaby was taken to Clough Road police station, but refused to answer any questions or provide a breath sample. He had convictions for 22 previous offences, but no driving licence endorsements.

Marc Luxford, mitigating, said that there was no evidence of a high level of impairment because of alcohol. Suddaby had been suffering from problems and this had led to him committing eight offences over the course of the last year.

As part of the original 21-month suspended, Suddaby had been given a 120-day tagged alcohol abstinence order, 25 days' rehabilitation, a Building Better Relationships programme and a five-year restraining order. Mr Luxford said that Suddaby had completed the alcohol abstinence order and had generally complied with the suspended sentence. He had shown remorse.

"These are serious offences, especially those that were the subject of the suspended sentence order," said Mr Luxford. "He is a realistic defendant.

"He is aware that he is in breach of a 21-month suspended sentence order. It's all come to a head. He has come to court throwing himself at the lap of the court for mercy."

Judge John Thackray KC told Suddaby: "The courts have been very lenient with you over the last couple of years, not only that appearance in February. You were given a suspended sentence in July 2022.

"Despite those golden opportunities, you have gone on to commit these crimes. They could have been so much worse. You were clearly not in a fit state to be driving. You had clearly been drinking.

"You damaged other people's property. It's only good fortune that prevented this from being worse than it, in fact, was."

Suddaby was jailed for 14 months and he was banned from driving for 19 months. The prison sentence included one year activated from the original 21-month suspended sentence.

In a separate incident, Suddaby had been drinking when he went to the Gardeners Arms pub, Cottingham Road, Hull, but was told that he would not be served. He became abusive and aggressive and asked: "Who's going to f***ing stop me?"

He left and went over to student accommodation, climbed over a fence into the grounds and caused damage to windows. He returned to the pub but was refused entry and became abusive and aggressive. He barged a member of staff out of the way.

Police arrived and Suddaby "tensed his arms and became aggressive". He swung his arm out while police tried to handcuff him and continued to resist efforts to do so.

He clenched his fists and officers used Pava spray. He attempted to punch the police officers and began struggling. Suddaby tried to punch an officer so he was sprayed again. He was later found to be in possession of heroin and cannabis.

The court heard in mitigation that day: "He knows that his demon is drink and he has got to do something about it."

The previous hearing in February last year heard that, during the assault, Suddaby attacked his "terrified" girlfriend after accusing her of flirting with another man at a Halloween party.

He turned violent when they returned home after the party and he later angrily bit a policeman during a nasty confrontation. The police had found him hiding in a cupboard in a bedroom.

He launched himself at an officer and bit him on his left thigh and would not release the bite. The officer applied pressure to Suddaby's neck and he did let go. Suddaby called a policewoman a "f***ing b***h" and there was a further struggle as he was taken to a police van.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/car-speeding-down-goddard-avenue-9009816

Re: Car speeding down Goddard Avenue destroys sign, smashes into walls and flips over,

<kvlkmbFrg34U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33850&group=uk.rec.cycling#33850

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Car speeding down Goddard Avenue destroys sign, smashes into
walls and flips over,
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 17:43:39 +0000
 by: JNugent - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 17:43 UTC

On 03/01/2024 04:17 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> A speeding driver left a trail of destruction after losing control of his car, demolishing a signpost, careering along a footpath and crashing into walls and fences outside homes.
> The car flipped onto its side and the driver, Jack Suddaby, crawled out of a window before telling a shocked resident: "I'm fine. I'm all good." He fled from the scene of the crash, in Goddard Avenue, Hull, but was traced after his wallet was found in the debris.
> Suddaby had been drinking before the crash, but he later refused to give a breath sample and became difficult and aggressive with police, Hull Crown Court heard. The 32-year-old, of the Priory Road area, Hull, admitted careless driving, failing to provide a breath specimen and failing to stop after an accident on June 27.

"failing to stop"? !!!

It certainly reads as though he DID stop and could not choose not to.

> Suddaby was in breach of a 21-month suspended prison sentence imposed on February 3 last year after he admitted assaulting his ex-girlfriend, causing actual bodily harm, as well as two offences of assaulting police, others of assault and criminal damage and two offences of possessing drugs.

Drugs yet again...

> Fintan Molloy, prosecuting, said that Suddaby was driving along Goddard Avenue, off Newland Avenue, when he lost control of his Vauxhall Merida as he approached a left-hand bend at about midnight.
> He was driving at such a speed that the car veered towards the opposite pavement and hit a traffic signpost, which was demolished. The momentum meant that the car continued along the pavement between parked cars and houses and badly damaged the front walls or fences of five homes.
> "The collision caused the defendant's vehicle to flip on to its side," said Mr Molloy. A woman who was in bed heard loud engine noise and a bang followed by a number of other bangs.
> "She looked out of her window and she saw the defendant's vehicle lying on its side," said Mr Molloy. Parts of the car were dropping off. Suddaby climbed up and out of a window.
> The woman asked him if he was okay. He replied: "I'm fine. I'm all good." He leaned on the bonnet of the car. The woman went into her home but, when she returned, Suddaby had gone.
> Police arrived in the early hours, but Suddaby was not there. A wallet was found in the debris and there were two bank cards and a driving licence in his name. Checks revealed that he was insured.
> Police went to his home and he returned at 12.36am. He was put in the back of a police car. He denied being the driver of the crashed car.
> Police could smell alcohol on his breath but he refused to give a roadside breath test.

What reason did the police have to remove him from his home and put
him into a patrol car?

The report does not mention an arrest.

> [...]
> The court heard in mitigation that day: "He knows that his demon is drink and he has got to do something about it."
> The previous hearing in February last year heard that, during the assault, Suddaby attacked his "terrified" girlfriend after accusing her of flirting with another man at a Halloween party.
> He turned violent when they returned home after the party and he later angrily bit a policeman during a nasty confrontation. The police had found him hiding in a cupboard in a bedroom.
> He launched himself at an officer and bit him on his left thigh and would not release the bite. The officer applied pressure to Suddaby's neck and he did let go. Suddaby called a policewoman a "f***ing b***h" and there was a further struggle as he was taken to a police van.

It's all happening in Yorkshire, innit?

Re: Car speeding down Goddard Avenue destroys sign, smashes into walls and flips over,

<2290013b-fdda-4169-9e4c-1db2d5a34d9cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33851&group=uk.rec.cycling#33851

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 10:50:23 -0800 (PST)
walls and flips over,
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 18:50 UTC

QUOTE: He was driving at such a speed that the car veered towards the opposite pavement and hit a traffic signpost, which was demolished. The momentum meant that the car continued along the pavement between parked cars and houses and badly damaged the front walls or fences of five homes.ENDS

That report suggests that he drove along BOTH pavements during one episode - must be some sort of record!
Puts cyclists into perspective and no mistake.

Re: Car speeding down Goddard Avenue destroys sign, smashes into walls and flips over,

<kvnrckFajjtU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33857&group=uk.rec.cycling#33857

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
walls and flips over,
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 13:50:12 +0000
 by: JNugent - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 13:50 UTC

On 03/01/2024 06:50 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> QUOTE: He was driving at such a speed that the car veered towards the opposite pavement and hit a traffic signpost, which was demolished. The momentum meant that the car continued along the pavement between parked cars and houses and badly damaged the front walls or fences of five homes.ENDS
>
> That report suggests that he drove along BOTH pavements during one episode - must be some sort of record!
> Puts cyclists into perspective and no mistake.

Indeed it does.

The person you described had *lost* *control* of his vehicle. Such
occurrences, whilst it would better if there were fewer of them and
irrespective of the fact that the loss of control allegedly* arose due
to excessive speed, are exceptionally** rare in relation to the number
of journeys made by motor vehicle.

Chavs on bikes ride their chav-bikes on FOOTways quite deliberately and
*selfishly*. Such actions are regarded as quite normal by most
chav-cyclists and the danger posed to pedestrians on the FOOTway is
regarded by said chav-cyclists as completely acceptable and even desirable.

That's the correct perspective.

[* Sorry for use of a four syllable word.]
[** Sorry for use of a five syllable word.]
[You can look them up, if you actually own a dictionary.]

Re: Car speeding down Goddard Avenue destroys sign, smashes into walls and flips over,

<8ef43bd8-2270-430e-b12a-0fe51fdf3d5en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33858&group=uk.rec.cycling#33858

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 06:03:20 -0800 (PST)
walls and flips over,
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 14:03 UTC

QUOTE:
Police went to his home and he returned at 12.36am. He was put in the back of a police car. He denied being the driver of the crashed car.ENDS

Did the thief who "stole" his car also nick his driving licence and bank cards?
Fancy that!