I dote on his very absence. -- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Woman crashed van into tree after high-speed chase across the Humber Bridge and through villages

SubjectAuthor
* Woman crashed van into tree after high-speed chase across the Humber Bridge and Simon Mason
+- OT TROLL-POST by May Sun: "[Female chav-cyclist] crashed van into tree after higJNugent
`- Re: Woman crashed van into tree after high-speed chase across the Humber Bridge Simon Mason

1
Woman crashed van into tree after high-speed chase across the Humber Bridge and through villages

<14693c88-3fa4-4243-9fcd-84bbded2ef70n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33962&group=uk.rec.cycling#33962

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 01:13:26 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Woman crashed van into tree after high-speed chase across the Humber
Bridge and through villages
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 09:13 UTC

PAST MY HOUSE!
==============================A woman driving a white van led police on a lengthy and hair-raising chase in the early hours of the morning when she recklessly hurtled along roads at high speed before suddenly losing control and crashing into a tree.

Drug user Georgia Caldeira panicked and sped off when she realised that it was a police car that was behind her at 2.55am. The frightening pursuit started in East Yorkshire before she drove at speeds of 90mph across the Humber Bridge and later raced through villages in North Lincolnshire.

It was only by pure luck that nobody was killed or seriously injured during the chase and Caldeira drove at dangerously high speeds during the "prolonged, persistent and deliberate" episode of appalling driving, Hull Crown Court heard.

Caldeira, 21, of the Orchard Park estate area, Hull, admitted dangerous driving, failing to stop for police and having no insurance and licence on May 12 last year.

Amber Hobson, prosecuting, said that police spotted a white Peugeot van being driven by Caldeira just before 2.55am, heading southbound on the A164 between Beverley and Cottingham. The van was linked to a theft incident the previous day.

Caldeira headed towards the Humber Bridge but police lost sight of the van on the approach to a roundabout at Harland Way, Cottingham. It was seen again and the van was speeding along, overtaking other vehicles.

Police caught up with it and activated their flashing blue lights and sirens but the van failed to stop and increased its speed.

Caldeira headed on the A15 at 90mph, sped through two roundabouts, including near Papas restaurant at Willerby, and went across the Humber Bridge southbound tag lane, swerving to the nearside and almost hitting the police car..

She drove at 90mph in a 50mph limit over the Humber Bridge and threw objects from the driver's window back down the road. They hit the pursuing police car. The weather was poor, with fog and mist causing reduced visibility.

Police tried to keep Caldeira on the A15 at the Barton junction but the van swerved and hit the front of the police car, causing damage. She continued onto the A1077 towards South Ferriby, straddling the central lines and driving erratically.

At South Ferriby, Caldeira headed on the B1204 towards Elsham and drove at 60mph in 30mph residential areas. It was damp and foggy.

Caldeira drove at 75mph in a 30mph limit in both Saxby All Saints and Bonby and at 55mph in a 30mph limit in Worlaby, at times on the wrong side of the road and on sharp bends around corners.

The van overtook another vehicle and approached a T-junction at about 70mph.. It mounted a grass verge and hit a tree on the far side of the road, ending up in an area of bushes. A female passenger got out of the van with her hands in the air. Caldeira ran off into fields but was caught.

She was barefooted when she was arrested but had shoes on when she got out of the van. "This was a prolonged, persistent and deliberate course of dangerous driving," said Miss Hobson.

"There was evasion of the police and, at times, the van was being driven significantly in excess of the speed limit."

Connor Stuart, mitigating, said that Caldeira had no previous convictions but she had a caution. She did not try to minimise the incident. "This was an extremely serious incident," said Mr Stuart.

"It was obviously by luck rather than design that no one was injured but no one was injured." Caldeira had the foresight to indicate before approaching junctions and to slow down.

"It was the early hours of the morning and there was less traffic on the roads and so a slightly reduced risk to other road users," said Mr Stuart.

"Nevertheless, there was a serious incident." Caldeira claimed that she initially believed that she was being followed by a "dangerous ex-partner" but, when she realised that it was the police, she took the "extremely foolish decision" to continue driving and evade them.

"In the cold light of day, that's something that she regrets," said Mr Stuart. "Had she stopped, then she would have saved herself a considerable amount of trouble." She had "fallen in with a bad crowd " and been using drugs and alcohol at the time to cope with problems. She wanted to become a midwife.

Caldeira told the court: "I am disgusted with myself, to be honest with you.. I just panicked. I am guilty and I deserve to be punished. I am so sorry."

Sentence was deferred for six months until July 4 so that Caldeira can prove that she can keep out of trouble and stay off drugs. After being told that she was not being jailed that day, Caldeira left court telling the judge: "Enjoy the rest of your day."

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/woman-crashed-van-tree-after-9024050

OT TROLL-POST by May Sun: "[Female chav-cyclist] crashed van into tree after high-speed chase across the Humber Bridge and through villages

<l07ou7F8sq1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33963&group=uk.rec.cycling#33963

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: OT TROLL-POST by May Sun: "[Female chav-cyclist] crashed van into
tree after high-speed chase across the Humber Bridge and through villages
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 14:46:32 +0000
 by: JNugent - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 14:46 UTC

On 10/01/2024 09:13 am, Simon Mason wrote:

> PAST MY HOUSE!
> ===============================
> A woman (who happened to be a fully-unqualified chav-cyclist) driving a white van led police on a lengthy and hair-raising chase in the early hours of the morning when she recklessly hurtled along roads at high speed before suddenly losing control and crashing into a tree.
> Drug user Georgia Caldeira panicked and sped off when she realised that it was a police car that was behind her at 2.55am. The frightening pursuit started in East Yorkshire before she drove at speeds of 90mph across the Humber Bridge and later raced through villages in North Lincolnshire.
> It was only by pure luck that nobody was killed or seriously injured during the chase and Caldeira drove at dangerously high speeds during the "prolonged, persistent and deliberate" episode of appalling driving, Hull Crown Court heard.
> Caldeira, 21, of the Orchard Park estate area, Hull, admitted dangerous driving, failing to stop for police and having no insurance and licence on May 12 last year.

"no insurance and licence"... IOW, she is just a chav-cyclist (at best)
and nothing more.

> [...]
> "In the cold light of day, that's something that she regrets," said Mr Stuart. "Had she stopped, then she would have saved herself a considerable amount of trouble." She had "fallen in with a bad crowd " and been using drugs and alcohol at the time to cope with problems. She wanted to become a midwife.
> Caldeira told the court: "I am disgusted with myself, to be honest with you. I just panicked. I am guilty and I deserve to be punished. I am so sorry."
> Sentence was deferred for six months until July 4 so that Caldeira can prove that she can keep out of trouble and stay off drugs. After being told that she was not being jailed that day, Caldeira left court telling the judge: "Enjoy the rest of your day."

TCCB.

Re: Woman crashed van into tree after high-speed chase across the Humber Bridge and through villages

<be4cb998-ed57-4366-9df7-38685475d2d9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33964&group=uk.rec.cycling#33964

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 08:37:59 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Woman crashed van into tree after high-speed chase across the
Humber Bridge and through villages
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 16:37 UTC

QUOTE: The van overtook another vehicle and approached a T-junction at about 70mph. It mounted a grass verge and hit a tree on the far side of the road, ending up in an area of bushes. A female passenger got out of the van with her hands in the air. Caldeira ran off into fields but was caught. ENDS

I went to that exact spot earlier on today. There was no sign of any damage to the tree, thankfully. Sadly, a few hundred metres up the road was a KFC bag in tribute to this fella:

QUOTE:
A young driver and champion darts player died when his car crashed as he took a long diversion along a country road to get to his favourite KFC takeaway.

Grimsby-born Jake Patchett, 23, died after the car he was in with girlfriend Sammy-Jo Franks and her two-year-old daughter Lily Skye North, left the road near Elsham and struck a tree.

The fatal crash happened on October 19 last year as they drove back from a trip to Bridlington to their home in Hull.

Jake decided to take a long 50-mile round trip to Scunthorpe to pick up a takeaway meal from his favourite KFC takeaway restaurant. But the decision ended in tragedy when his Ford Focus left the B1206 near the A15 and struck a tree, killing him instantly. Lily Skye was seriously injured in the accident but survived thanks to being strapped in a child's safety seat in the back of the blue Ford Focus, an inquest at Cleethorpes Town Hall heard. Sammy-Jo was also taken to hospital with minor injuries.

Acting senior coroner, Mark Kendall was told the driver, of Melrose Street, Hull, died from multiple injuries in the crash at shortly after 9pm. Jake, who was a one-time professional darts player, was born in Grimsby and has two sisters and a brother. He was a former youth darts champion.

He qualified as a carpenter and went to work for a friend at a kitchen and bathroom fitting company.

He spent a long time working in the Scunthorpe area. He was also a professional darts player for a couple of years before focusing on his career.

A skilled darts player, Jake had risen to become one of the best youth players in the world after success at the Winmau World Boys Masters held in 2012.

In tribute to her son, mum Kim Dolman said: "He was a good driver."

She added: "For some unknown reason he wanted a KFC from Scunthorpe. Because he had worked in the Scunthorpe area for so long he preferred to KFC in there instead of their local one.

"He knew the back roads to Scunthorpe well. He was a good driver." Toxicological tests revealed there was no alcohol or drugs in his system.

Girlfriend Sammy-Jo Franks, formerly of Barton, told the hearing in a statement read by coroner's officer Martin Armstrong she felt safe whenever she was in the car with Jake, whom she described as ‘a good, calm, safe driver.’

She said the pair were ‘very much in love’.

"We were very much in love and we had plans to get engaged," she said.

They had driven to Bridlington after Jake finished work and spent two hours in the resort before heading to KFC in Scunthorpe, via South Ferriby. She told she had no recollection of what happened as they travelled along the country lane in the dark at Elsham.

"The first thing I knew was being woken up in Hull Royal Infirmary. I couldn't see Lily or Jake.”

"She was in Leeds intensive care for four days with three breaks to her leg and a broken arm and a skull fracture."

Lily was taken initially to hospital in Leeds with broken legs, an arm and a fractured skull and then transferred to Hull where she spent a further 11 days in hospital. Sammy-Jo added: "She may need further operations in the future. From being a bubbly little girl she became withdrawn and suffers from nightmares. She wakes up shouting "'Car,car, dark, dark."

Sammy-Jo also has to undergo appointments at hospital for a broken right arm.

Lorry driver, James MacMillan said he was driving his DAF 32-tonne lorry along the B1206 when it was overtaken by a blue Ford Focus.

He saw it disappear ahead down a hill and round a slight bend. He said the Ford was being driven "at normal speed and not erratic."

But as he drove his lorry around the bend he saw the rear lights of the car, which had collided with a tree.

He said there had been a "massive impact." He said in a statement read by the coroner's officer, he checked the driver, but found him lifeless. He said the front seat passenger was conscious, as was the little girl in the child's seat in the rear.

Crash investigator PC John Taylor of Humberside Police told the hearing the Ford had collided with a large tree.

He said there was evidence that brakes had not been applied and there were no carriageway defects on the "gentle, sweeping bend."

"It is a bend that could be taken comfortably at the speed limit (60mph). There was nothing to suggest why it left the road. For some reason that cannot be determined, because the cause of this must remain with the actions of the driver and that will never be known," the officer said. He added: "There may have been some distraction or an error of judgement in his driving. But there was noting to suggest excessive speed."

In his conclusion, coroner Mark Kendall said there had been no criticism of the manner of the driving.

"Why did it happen? I am afraid we will probably never know," he said.

He added: "On the evidence his death was as a result of a road traffic collision."

He passed his sincere condolences to Mrs Dolman and her family.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/driver-killed-detour-kfc-elsham-2789441