Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 08:53:13 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Driver jailed after head-on crash injured three generations
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 16:53 UTC

A man who drove a stolen vehicle head-on into a car carrying three generations of family has been jailed.

John Daffin, 31, of Cornfield Lane, Littleport, was overtaking vehicles along the A10 near Milton in a Blue Audi A6, at about 12.40pm on 28 August, when he crossed into the path of another car.

The blue Ford Focus, which was travelling towards Cambridge, was carrying two men, aged 68 and 43, a 71-year-old woman and an eight-year-old boy, all from the same family.

A member of the public, who stopped at the scene, filmed Daffin as he ran from his car and into the hedgerows towards Milton.

Emergency services arrived and the four victims were taken to Addenbrooke’s Hospital where they were treated for serious, but not life threatening, injuries, including fractures to the ribs, bleeding on the brain and punctured lungs.

A police drone and dog searched for Daffin but he couldn’t be found.. He was identified via the footage by police and later arrested.

At Cambridge Crown Court on Friday (5 January) Daffin was sentenced to three years in prison after pleading guilty to four counts of causing injury by dangerous driving, failing to stop and driving without insurance.

He was also disqualified from driving for three years and six months.

Sergeant Mark Atkins, from the Road Policing Unit, said: “Daffin was witnessed overtaking vehicles at dangerous speeds. Just before the collision he had crossed on to the other carriageway to overtake and stayed there to avoid hitting the central island but instead went head on into the path of the Focus.

“Inside the victim’s vehicle were three generations of family, innocently travelling back from a holiday.

“Daffin’s actions that day were dangerous and inexcusable and have scarred this family, including a young boy, for life.”

https://www.cambs.police.uk/news/cambridgeshire/news/2024/january/driver-jailed-after-head-on-crash-injured-three-generations/

Re: Uninsured "driver" in a stolen car jailed after head-on crash injured three generations

<l0aikvFp750U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34000&group=uk.rec.cycling#34000

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Uninsured "driver" in a stolen car jailed after head-on crash
injured three generations
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 16:17:36 +0000
 by: JNugent - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 16:17 UTC

On 10/01/2024 04:53 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> A man who drove a stolen vehicle head-on into a car carrying three generations of family has been jailed.
> John Daffin, 31, of Cornfield Lane, Littleport, was overtaking vehicles along the A10 near Milton in a Blue Audi A6, at about 12.40pm on 28 August, when he crossed into the path of another car.
> The blue Ford Focus, which was travelling towards Cambridge, was carrying two men, aged 68 and 43, a 71-year-old woman and an eight-year-old boy, all from the same family.
> A member of the public, who stopped at the scene, filmed Daffin as he ran from his car and into the hedgerows towards Milton.
> Emergency services arrived and the four victims were taken to Addenbrooke’s Hospital where they were treated for serious, but not life threatening, injuries, including fractures to the ribs, bleeding on the brain and punctured lungs.
> A police drone and dog searched for Daffin but he couldn’t be found. He was identified via the footage by police and later arrested.
> At Cambridge Crown Court on Friday (5 January) Daffin was sentenced to three years in prison after pleading guilty to four counts of causing injury by dangerous driving, failing to stop and driving without insurance.

But he DID stop!

The report makes that clear enough.

OTOH, he was driving a stolen car, which automatically imports the
offence of having no insurance.

Right then, and right there, he should not have been driving. All he was
properly entitled to so was ride a chav-bike like yours, M'Lud.

> He was also disqualified from driving for three years and six months.
> Sergeant Mark Atkins, from the Road Policing Unit, said: “Daffin was witnessed overtaking vehicles at dangerous speeds. Just before the collision he had crossed on to the other carriageway to overtake and stayed there to avoid hitting the central island but instead went head on into the path of the Focus.
> “Inside the victim’s vehicle were three generations of family, innocently travelling back from a holiday.
> “Daffin’s actions that day were dangerous and inexcusable and have scarred this family, including a young boy, for life.”
>
> https://www.cambs.police.uk/news/cambridgeshire/news/2024/january/driver-jailed-after-head-on-crash-injured-three-generations/

Fixed the thread title for you.

No charge.

Re: Driver jailed after head-on crash injured three generations

<8400b958-0f8d-47e7-8d81-c4de838aafd3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34006&group=uk.rec.cycling#34006

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 14:21:00 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 22:21 UTC

QUOTE: At Cambridge Crown Court on Friday (5 January) Daffin was sentenced to three years in prison after pleading guilty to four counts of causing injury by dangerous driving, failing to stop and driving without insurance. ENDS

Glad this scum driver ended up with a decent stretch after what he did to this poor family.
More please!