Luke, I'm yer father, eh. Come over to the dark side, you hoser. -- Dave Thomas, "Strange Brew"

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Wordplay

SubjectAuthor
* WordplayRoderick Stewart
+* Re: WordplayNorman Wells
|`* Re: WordplayNY
| +- Re: WordplayBrian Gaff
| `* Re: WordplayIndy Jess John
|  `* Re: WordplaySn!pe
|   `* Re: Wordplaycharles
|    `- Re: WordplayMartin
+* Re: WordplayBrian Gaff
|`- Re: WordplayNorman Wells
`* Re: WordplayJohn Hall
 `* Re: Wordplaywilliamwright
  `* Re: WordplayJohn Hall
   `* Re: WordplayOwen Rees
    `- Re: WordplayRoderick Stewart

1
Wordplay

<iitfchtun1jfo0cne92ah1b4llst86nasf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33970&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33970

From: rjf...@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Wordplay
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2022 10:22:50 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Fri, 8 Jul 2022 09:22 UTC

I see that somebody in The Spectator is already naming yesterday's
main event as "Borexit".

Don't you just love the things you can do with English - the best open
source language in the world.

Rod.

Re: Wordplay

<jiqr96FkttlU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33971&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33971

From: hex...@unseen.ac.am (Norman Wells)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Wordplay
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2022 14:54:46 +0100
 by: Norman Wells - Fri, 8 Jul 2022 13:54 UTC

On 08/07/2022 10:22, Roderick Stewart wrote:

> I see that somebody in The Spectator is already naming yesterday's
> main event as "Borexit".
>
> Don't you just love the things you can do with English - the best open
> source language in the world.

Some junior, sniggering hack, doubtless, who hopes it will catch on so
that he or she can claim credit down the pub. But it's lazy,
unoriginal, hackneyed, pointless and tedious in truth, just like adding
'gate' to any word connected with a scandal.

I prefer proper reporting and could do without it personally.

Re: Wordplay

<taa58v$qbe9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33972&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33972

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2022 21:49:10 +0100
 by: NY - Fri, 8 Jul 2022 20:49 UTC

"Norman Wells" <hex@unseen.ac.am> wrote in message
> On 08/07/2022 10:22, Roderick Stewart wrote:
>
>> I see that somebody in The Spectator is already naming yesterday's
>> main event as "Borexit".
>>
>> Don't you just love the things you can do with English - the best open
>> source language in the world.
>
> Some junior, sniggering hack, doubtless, who hopes it will catch on so
> that he or she can claim credit down the pub. But it's lazy, unoriginal,
> hackneyed, pointless and tedious in truth, just like adding 'gate' to any
> word connected with a scandal.
>
> I prefer proper reporting and could do without it personally.

I admire the wordplay. I hope the word does catch on. But it needs to be
backed by proper, more in-depth reporting. There is place for both, even in
the same article in the same paper.

English is a wonderful language for inventing new words, based on other
words (some of which are themselves inventions and extensions of established
English). But is it true that other languages like French, German, Italian,
Spanish don't do it to the same extent. Are they more restricted by grammar
rules (multiple genders, need for adjectives to agree with those genders,
need for word endings to agree with everything) than English? Is English
more willing to borrow foreign words and anglicise them than other languages
are to borrow foreign words and meld them into their own language?

But I agree about -gate :-(

Re: Wordplay

<tab8oi$vqd9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33973&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33973

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2022 07:55:08 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 9 Jul 2022 06:55 UTC

Not really in this case,

I mean an ex prime minister was shot to death in Japan yesterday. I heard it
first on RTE.

Brian
--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Roderick Stewart" <rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote in message
>I see that somebody in The Spectator is already naming yesterday's
> main event as "Borexit".
>
> Don't you just love the things you can do with English - the best open
> source language in the world.
>
> Rod.

Re: Wordplay

<tab8vq$vqsk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33974&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33974

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2022 07:58:59 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 9 Jul 2022 06:58 UTC

Most of the German language seems to be whole words grafted onto each other.

Personally I feel that trying to squeeze lots of different peoples views
into just a few big parties is the man reason we keep on seeing a complete
mess at the top.
Brian

--

--:
"NY" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote in message
> "Norman Wells" <hex@unseen.ac.am> wrote in message
>> On 08/07/2022 10:22, Roderick Stewart wrote:
>>
>>> I see that somebody in The Spectator is already naming yesterday's
>>> main event as "Borexit".
>>>
>>> Don't you just love the things you can do with English - the best open
>>> source language in the world.
>>
>> Some junior, sniggering hack, doubtless, who hopes it will catch on so
>> that he or she can claim credit down the pub. But it's lazy, unoriginal,
>> hackneyed, pointless and tedious in truth, just like adding 'gate' to any
>> word connected with a scandal.
>>
>> I prefer proper reporting and could do without it personally.
>
> I admire the wordplay. I hope the word does catch on. But it needs to be
> backed by proper, more in-depth reporting. There is place for both, even
> in the same article in the same paper.
>
> English is a wonderful language for inventing new words, based on other
> words (some of which are themselves inventions and extensions of
> established English). But is it true that other languages like French,
> German, Italian, Spanish don't do it to the same extent. Are they more
> restricted by grammar rules (multiple genders, need for adjectives to
> agree with those genders, need for word endings to agree with everything)
> than English? Is English more willing to borrow foreign words and
> anglicise them than other languages are to borrow foreign words and meld
> them into their own language?
>
> But I agree about -gate :-(

Re: Wordplay

<jispfpF15bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33975&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33975

From: hex...@unseen.ac.am (Norman Wells)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2022 08:36:25 +0100
 by: Norman Wells - Sat, 9 Jul 2022 07:36 UTC

On 09/07/2022 07:55, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Not really in this case,
>
> I mean an ex prime minister was shot to death in Japan yesterday. I heard it
> first on RTE.

It wouldn't surprise me if some wag at the Spectator was already calling
that 'Abeexit' just to be amusing and clever.

Re: Wordplay

<jMfFUxC7bUyiFwGn@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33977&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33977

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2022 10:14:35 +0100
 by: John Hall - Sat, 9 Jul 2022 09:14 UTC

In message <iitfchtun1jfo0cne92ah1b4llst86nasf@4ax.com>, Roderick
Stewart <rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> writes
>I see that somebody in The Spectator is already naming yesterday's
>main event as "Borexit".
>
>Don't you just love the things you can do with English - the best open
>source language in the world.
>
>Rod.

The trouble with "Borexit" is that it brings to mind - to my mind at
least - the word "boring", and whatever else Boris has been no one could
accuse him of that.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,

Re: Wordplay

<jiu9mgF7e68U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33981&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33981

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2022 22:19:12 +0100
 by: williamwright - Sat, 9 Jul 2022 21:19 UTC

On 09/07/2022 10:14, John Hall wrote:
> In message <iitfchtun1jfo0cne92ah1b4llst86nasf@4ax.com>, Roderick
> Stewart <rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> writes
>> I see that somebody in The Spectator is already naming yesterday's
>> main event as "Borexit".
>>
>> Don't you just love the things you can do with English - the best open
>> source language in the world.
>>
>> Rod.
>
> The trouble with "Borexit" is that it brings to mind - to my mind at
> least - the word "boring", and whatever else Boris has been no one could
> accuse him of that.

What about Johnsexit? That has 'sex' in it so seems appropriate.

Bill

Re: Wordplay

<iKu98DCS6nyiFwX6@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33982&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33982

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 08:24:02 +0100
 by: John Hall - Sun, 10 Jul 2022 07:24 UTC

In message <jiu9mgF7e68U1@mid.individual.net>, williamwright
<wrightsaerials@f2s.com> writes
>On 09/07/2022 10:14, John Hall wrote:
>> In message <iitfchtun1jfo0cne92ah1b4llst86nasf@4ax.com>, Roderick
>>Stewart <rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> writes
>>> I see that somebody in The Spectator is already naming yesterday's
>>> main event as "Borexit".
>>>
>>> Don't you just love the things you can do with English - the best open
>>> source language in the world.
>>>
>>> Rod.
>> The trouble with "Borexit" is that it brings to mind - to my mind at
>>least - the word "boring", and whatever else Boris has been no one
>>could accuse him of that.
>
>What about Johnsexit? That has 'sex' in it so seems appropriate.
>
>Bill

:)

Borisexit would also work, though with four syllables I suppose it
doesn't really trip off the tongue.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

Re: Wordplay

<taecml$1c3uv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33988&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33988

From: ore...@hotmail.com (Owen Rees)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 11:20:53 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:MWIAD01JP8xJx2PFOFaLebE7Zmk=
 by: Owen Rees - Sun, 10 Jul 2022 11:20 UTC

John Hall <john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <jiu9mgF7e68U1@mid.individual.net>, williamwright
> <wrightsaerials@f2s.com> writes
>> On 09/07/2022 10:14, John Hall wrote:
>>> In message <iitfchtun1jfo0cne92ah1b4llst86nasf@4ax.com>, Roderick
>>> Stewart <rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> writes

>>> The trouble with "Borexit" is that it brings to mind - to my mind at
>>> least - the word "boring", and whatever else Boris has been no one
>>> could accuse him of that.
>>
>> What about Johnsexit? That has 'sex' in it so seems appropriate.
>>
>> Bill
>
> :)
>
> Borisexit would also work, though with four syllables I suppose it
> doesn't really trip off the tongue.

If we need a word then Bogone would work better I think.

Those familiar with the jargon used in some technical circles will know
that bogon is the elementary particle of bogosity so I think it fits quite
well. Being a homophone is a bonus in that context.

The slogan “Get Bogone Done” also works.

Re: Wordplay

<taef1q$1cbui$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33989&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33989

From: bathwatc...@OMITTHISgooglemail.com (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 13:00:57 +0100
 by: Indy Jess John - Sun, 10 Jul 2022 12:00 UTC

On 08/07/2022 21:49, NY wrote:
> English is a wonderful language for inventing new words, based on other
> words (some of which are themselves inventions and extensions of
> established English). But is it true that other languages like French,
> German, Italian, Spanish don't do it to the same extent.

French is strictly policed. They frown on "le weekend" even though there
is no convenient French word to convey that idea and la fin de la
semaine seems clumsy.

They do do puns though. I heard lemon squash described as citron au
téléphone and when I asked why I was told it was toujours à l'eau

Jim

Re: Wordplay

<6khlch1g3tklth6hp37m2klkeiq1lct7q1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33990&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33990

From: rjf...@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 13:35:36 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Sun, 10 Jul 2022 12:35 UTC

On Sun, 10 Jul 2022 11:20:53 -0000 (UTC), Owen Rees
<orees@hotmail.com> wrote:

>John Hall <john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <jiu9mgF7e68U1@mid.individual.net>, williamwright
>> <wrightsaerials@f2s.com> writes

>>> What about Johnsexit? That has 'sex' in it so seems appropriate.
>>>
>>> Bill
>>
>> :)
>>
>> Borisexit would also work, though with four syllables I suppose it
>> doesn't really trip off the tongue.
>
>If we need a word then Bogone would work better I think.
>
>Those familiar with the jargon used in some technical circles will know
>that bogon is the elementary particle of bogosity so I think it fits quite
>well. Being a homophone is a bonus in that context.
>
>The slogan “Get Bogone Done” also works.

Sounds a bit like the Australian term "bogan", which seems to be a
term of dirapproval of some sort. So that'll do nicely.

Talking of particles, should we expect to see in the news that the
physicists at CERN are searching for the Higgs Bogon?

Rod.

Re: Wordplay

<1puwic9.1e2odkx17tn2olN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34036&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34036

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 23:55:21 +0100
This article may be reproduced for the purposes of propagation and
personal use only, no commercial use without express permission.
 by: Sn!pe - Sun, 10 Jul 2022 22:55 UTC

Indy Jess John <bathwatchdog@OMITTHISgooglemail.com> wrote:

> On 08/07/2022 21:49, NY wrote:
> > English is a wonderful language for inventing new words, based on other
> > words (some of which are themselves inventions and extensions of
> > established English). But is it true that other languages like French,
> > German, Italian, Spanish don't do it to the same extent.
>
> French is strictly policed. They frown on "le weekend" even though there
> is no convenient French word to convey that idea and la fin de la
> semaine seems clumsy.
>
> They do do puns though. I heard lemon squash described as citron au
> téléphone and when I asked why I was told it was toujours à l'eau
>
> Jim

A l'eau, c'est l'heure.

--
^Ï^ My pet rock Gordon just is.

~ Slava Ukraini ~

Re: Wordplay

<5a063bbdabcharles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34215&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34215

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 09:19:12 +0100
 by: charles - Mon, 11 Jul 2022 08:19 UTC

In article <1puwic9.1e2odkx17tn2olN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>, Sn!pe
<snipeco.2@gmail.com> wrote:
> Indy Jess John <bathwatchdog@OMITTHISgooglemail.com> wrote:

> > On 08/07/2022 21:49, NY wrote:
> > > English is a wonderful language for inventing new words, based on
> > > other words (some of which are themselves inventions and extensions
> > > of established English). But is it true that other languages like
> > > French, German, Italian, Spanish don't do it to the same extent.
> >
> > French is strictly policed. They frown on "le weekend" even though
> > there is no convenient French word to convey that idea and la fin de la
> > semaine seems clumsy.
> >
> > They do do puns though. I heard lemon squash described as citron au
> > téléphone and when I asked why I was told it was toujours à l'eau
> >
> > Jim

> A l'eau, c'est l'heure.

or even "bon jour, matelot"

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Re: Wordplay

<e825dhhqn4bjc75rebaas5ro48qdnfvhhh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34252&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34252

From: me...@address.invalid (Martin)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 11:54:04 +0200
 by: Martin - Sat, 16 Jul 2022 09:54 UTC

On Mon, 11 Jul 2022 09:19:12 +0100, charles <charles@candehope.me.uk> wrote:

>In article <1puwic9.1e2odkx17tn2olN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>, Sn!pe
><snipeco.2@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > French is strictly policed. They frown on "le weekend" even though
>> > there is no convenient French word to convey that idea and la fin de la
>> > semaine seems clumsy.

Policed by Academie Française, the same organisation which started on
rationalising the words used for counting, but for some reason never finished
with the result that other French speaking countries have different words for
some numbers.

>> > They do do puns though. I heard lemon squash described as citron au
>> > téléphone and when I asked why I was told it was toujours à l'eau
>> >
>> > Jim
>
>> A l'eau, c'est l'heure.
>
>or even "bon jour, matelot"

Creme de la creme Trig.